Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Nix Panicus posted:

You're not wrong. Without western support Ukraine would have collapsed a long time ago. They aren't capable of carrying out their own defense. Even with western support they appear to be barely holding on. Ukraine should consider a negotiated surrender before their position deteriorates further.

Ukraine doesn't need the Americans, they can produce their own weaponry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zedhe Khoja posted:

im sure they actually used to made them until the americans came

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I could swear there was an article posted earlier that had a Ukraine soldier complain about this.
Not an article but I have this video.
https://twitter.com/MyLordBebo/status/1679559747165364237

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Whenever I see discussion of Mr. Beast I think that otherwise relatively wholesome eating competition guy has really fallen, then I remember that's the LA Beast and it seems he's still abusing his digestive system.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Palladium posted:

im sure they actually used to made them until the americans came

quote:

The most intriguing small arms “producer” in Ukraine was the KB-ST (Design Bureau for Special Techniques). This highly controversial organization was established in 1993 and during the late nineties announced a series of a “revolutionary” small arms designs, such as sub-machine guns and sniper rifles of outstanding, if not unbelievable, characteristics. However, no foreign experts ever were able to test these “wonder weapons”, and by this time KB-ST has folded and gone out of business. One of such wonder weapons widely advertised in Ukrainian literature as “unique” and “superior” was the Pistolet Shevchenko, or PSh in short. This overly complicated and strange-looking weapon was also an amalgam of previously known ideas, some of which were tried and rejected 50 or even 100 years ago. To start with, the PSh used a two-stage feed system, borrowed from the 1900-period Gabbet-Fairfax “Mars” pistol of British origin. This system, in which the cartridge is first pulled back from the magazine and placed on a lifter, then raised inline with the barrel and fed forward and into the chamber, was necessary because of the elongated barrel, which protruded back into the action. To further complicate the construction, its designer Shevchenko used a very rare gas-operated locking system first (and probably last) used in a WW2-era prototype Horn assault rifle from Germany. This system employs two small gas pistons that are forced by gas pressure sideways from the frame and into locking recesses in the slide. Another strange feature was a hand-cocking device, probably taken from HK P7 pistol, but in a twist – instead of full-hand cocking lever PSh employed some form of a second trigger, located below the “primary” trigger and used to cock the striker when pressed by one middle finger. It also had a ribbed, aluminium jacket on the barrel, and a very special sort of slide stop, that locked slide open once there was one cartridge left in the gun. The claimed purpose of this arrangement was to allow shooter to make its “deliberate last shot” – in its own head, probably.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The 90's were a dark and troubling time for Eastern European weapon design.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Emily Channel Justice

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Zedhe Khoja posted:

All I see on the reddit videos lately from the Ukraine side are quadcopters dropping mortars on wounded russian soldiers. I am sure all of them are made by Ukraine with 3d printed parts and Chinese civilian drone motors and controllers.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Complications posted:

Whenever I see discussion of Mr. Beast I think that otherwise relatively wholesome eating competition guy has really fallen, then I remember that's the LA Beast and it seems he's still abusing his digestive system.

oh lmao i thought it was that eating guy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

All I see on the reddit videos lately from the Ukraine side are quadcopters dropping mortars on wounded russian soldiers. I am sure all of them are made by Ukraine with 3d printed parts and Chinese civilian drone motors and controllers.

i would stop watching those videos tbh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CODChimera posted:

oh lmao i thought it was that eating guy

LA Beast has a jawline

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vomik posted:

I’m trying to imagine what I would do in this scenario hypothetically if I were conscripted into a forced suicide march and I’d probably try to get captured? but how exactly can you allow yourself capture if you have to walk through miles of mines to do so?

if you shoot your commanding officer well — there’s still miles of mines plus a now very hostile set of “elite” units behind you.

incredibly bleak

Yeah, I'd probably just mentally freeze up and follow orders (which is sort of the "default" action in that scenario).

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think Ukraine correctly determined they are poo poo at weapons design and if they make anything at all is just knockoffs of whatever russia is making.

another 90's "pistol"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Virtual Russian posted:

You just don't attack through a minefield, it isn't done. A minefield is area denial, no one would dare attack through one, you have to go around. A mine clearing tank isn't really meant to lead an attack through one, you could only follow it and retreat along a narrow path.

quote:

When we come to a minefield our infantry attacks exactly as if it were not there

unfortunately ukraine hasn't been following the rest of the quote

quote:

The losses we get from personnel mines we consider only equal to those we would have gotten from machine guns and artillery if the Germans had chosen to defend that particular area with strong bodies of troops instead of with minefields. The attacking infantry does not set off the vehicular mines, so after they have penetrated to the far side of the field they form a bridgehead, after which the engineers come up and dig out channels through which our vehicles can go.

and has instead been sending vehicles to set off up both the anti-tank AND anti-personal mines

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I think Ukraine correctly determined they are poo poo at weapons design and if they make anything at all is just knockoffs of whatever russia is making.

another 90's "pistol"

"aim high" isn't always applicable smh

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lions led by donkeys. I cannot imagine the horror that would be stepping into a minefield.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

unfortunately ukraine hasn't been following the rest of the quote

and has instead been sending vehicles to set off up both the anti-tank AND anti-personal mines

Admittedly, the Ukrainians have taken positions usually by rushing infantry afterwards in waves until they get a foothold… then the Russians move to the next trench line and hammer what the Ukrainians send over until the process starts over. The Ukrainians do gradually improve their positions but they use up entire brigades to move up 500 meters.

The Russians are fine with this because the Ukrainians aren’t really threatening anything serious strategic and they know they have far more trench lines.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Aug 20, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, the Ukrainians have taken positions usually by rushing infantry afterwards in waves until they get a foothold and then the Russians move to the next trench line and hammer what the Ukrainians send over until the process starts over. The Ukrainians do gradually improve their positions but they use up entirely brigades to move up 500 meters.

The Russians are fine with this because the Ukrainians aren’t really threatening anything serious strategic and they know they have far more trench lines.

That is WW1 you are describing.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Virtual Russian posted:

Lions led by donkeys. I cannot imagine the horror that would be stepping into a minefield.

legs for doggo memes is a great trade ackstually

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

What's wrong with donkeys? Working animals, unlike the lazy male lion (and we know they're talking about the male lions, with their iconic manes).

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

i say swears online posted:

"aim high" isn't always applicable smh
it probably is with this one.

quote:

a rather large and distinctive laser pointer sitting at the bottom of
the weapon; the laser pointer gives an idea that this was supposed to
also be used as a self-defense weapon at close range, but the weapon's
choice of ammunition appears to defeat the purpose.

The weapon uses 5.45×39mm armor-piercing rounds,
a rather odd choice given that the weapon in question is a revolver;
the choice of ammunition is also rather odd as the use of 5.45mm
ammunition for stopping power purposes had been discontinued in Ukraine
at the time as the round has a "displaced center of gravity".

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/18/ukraine-war-west-gloom/

quote:

Meanwhile, for the United States and its NATO allies, these 18 months of war have been a strategic windfall, at relatively low cost (other than for the Ukrainians). The West’s most reckless antagonist has been rocked. NATO has grown much stronger with the additions of Sweden and Finland. Germany has weaned itself from dependence on Russian energy and, in many ways, rediscovered its sense of values. NATO squabbles make headlines, but overall, this has been a triumphal summer for the alliance.

relatively low cost (other than for the Ukrainians)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

no i think armored operations in WW1 went far far better than ukraine getting an entire column soloed by a t-72

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Virtual Russian posted:

It is basically World War One with some drones and copters.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

EU industry getting destroyed is also relatively low cost for the americans

also the .~*WE*~. need to destroy putler by all means necessary rhetoric in the comments is definitely different from the neocons they hate

Palladium has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Aug 20, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I maintain that "The British Empire-but-not-racist" could have lived up to the dream of the Imperial Exhibitions.

Unfortunately, the racism was baked in. But maybe if we tried again...

"british empire but not racist" is literally the founding principle of the japanese empire but good luck getting anyone to actually acknowledge that when the japanese empire is a designated Monster Of History and analyzing the intent of their laws versus how they were actually enforced begs a lot of uncomfortable questions about just how meaningless the former is when compared to the latter

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Both sides used artillery in WW1.

Some Guy TT posted:

"british empire but not racist" is literally the founding principle of the japanese empire but good luck getting anyone to actually acknowledge that when the japanese empire is a designated Monster Of History and analyzing the intent of their laws versus how they were actually enforced begs a lot of uncomfortable questions about just how meaningless the former is when compared to the latter

This is deeply concerning.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Complications posted:

Also, not to be confused with Mr. Beat, a schoolteacher / tuber who makes videos about US history.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Complications posted:

watched la eat a bunch of warheads recently when checking this out myself. dude still has it

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

KomradeX posted:

You know the Ukrainians keep saying the 1991 borders need to be respected, but don't those 1991 borders have an independent republic of Crimea?

Crimea declared independence in 1992.

Frosted Flake posted:

That can't be right. An attack usually fails at like... 20%. At 85% casualties there's not an organized body of men trying to achieve an objective, it would be more like a disorganized mob trying to get out of the line of fire.

It's a platoon assaulting a village on the outskirts of Donetsk city 85% of which took injuries of any sort. Seems plausible if only because that could happen in a second.

quote:

One of the men, a former U.S. soldier from Texas who goes by the callsign "Tango," said his unit of "dozens" of men took "85% casualties" and that two of their comrades were killed when the team was ambushed whilst advancing into Russian-occupied territory. Forty percent of the unit was so badly injured they were rendered "combat ineffective," he said.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

It is basically World War One with some drones and copters.

WW1 with drones and live broadcasting.

The libe broadcasting IMO is the reason the casualties have been lower than WW1 numbers because people for the most part know what's happening at the front line.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Palladium posted:

EU industry getting destroyed is also relatively low cost for the americans

also the .~*WE*~. need to destroy putler by all means necessary rhetoric in the comments is definitely different from the neocons they hate

EU industry getting destroyed is a net positive for the world.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this type of wording keeps popping up and its very concerning how the cost to Ukrainians is a side thought at best

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

just don't drive over the mine lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

[UKR/RUS war] relatively low cost (other than for the Ukrainians)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CODChimera posted:

this type of wording keeps popping up and its very concerning how the cost to Ukrainians is a side thought at best

for many, the only real person is themselves, their families, maybe a few friends

they'll pay lip service to the idea that humans are all people, but when the rubber meets the road they don't really think so

and even that small circle can be prone to shrinkage given even some incentive

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

EU industry getting destroyed is a net positive for the world.

they're just going to get cannibalized by the US, how does that help anyone? The US is going to get a boost.

It's not like the EU was a major threat to China.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

WW1 with drones and live broadcasting.

The libe broadcasting IMO is the reason the casualties have been lower than WW1 numbers because people for the most part know what's happening at the front line.

I think there are plenty of older/middle age Ukrainians relying on just their own news and rumors, it isn’t really that different. If anything, social media has been pretty good about restricting the absolute worst on the Ukrainian side.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:14 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Google Butt posted:

just don't drive over the mine lol

see if it was me, i just wouldn't get shot