Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, once you have a Polyglot you'll keep it unless you die or zone, so if you want to maximize the damage you do to the single gigantic collective health bar of all of a dungeon's denizens, you should discharge your polyglot before it gets overwritten.

Here's a thing you can think about if you're trying to crank out more damage: all your spells have a base recast time of 2.5s. However, Fire4's cast time is 2.8s, and Despair's cast time is 3.0s.

If you just manually cast Despair, you'll inflict its 340 potency hit, and, 3 seconds after you started casting, get to start your next spell. But if you swiftcast Despair, you'll inflict its 340 potency hit, and, 2.5 seconds later, get to start your next spell. So swiftcasting Fire4, Despair, Flare, Fire2, or any other spell whose cast time is higher than its recast time is a small dps gain. Doing Triplecast right before the F4, F4, Despair at the end of your astral cycle (which means when you have either 4000 or 4400 MP) will shave the maximum amount of time off your attack sequence against a single target, or right before your final F2, F2, Flare against multiple targets. (If you have Convert up, you can do even better with Triplecast, Despair, Convert, F4, Despair on a boss, or Triplecast Flare, Flare, Convert, Flare on a group).

However, Swiftcast and Triplecast actually have their own (short) cast animations, and you'll "clip" one of your spells if you just try to use them right after finishing a hardcast. So the ideal is to, say, get to 4400 MP, throw a Xenoglossy you've been sitting on or (if the timing lines up) discharge your Thundercloud proc, activate Triplecast as your GCD turns over, and then F4-F4-Despair at hyper speed.

All this stuff remains proportionately effective if you have high spellspeed, and I realize you mentioned Sage as a point of comparison so you might understand cast time clipping already but maybe someone else reading this doesn't.

my main problem as a BLM is trying to remember all this poo poo while trying not to die to mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

BLM terrifies me, to be honest

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Relyssa posted:

mods?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Relyssa posted:

Yeah I started leveling it at one point, got up to level 40 or so, and noped right out to play Red Mage instead.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Relyssa posted:

lmao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Autisanal Cheese posted:

my main problem as a BLM is trying to remember all this poo poo while trying not to die to mechanics

This is why I main DRG. I can die to mechanics because I’ve spammed five cooldowns that all immobilize me through their animations and the healers will just sigh and go “loving dragoon” while hitting their rez macro, but sometimes I remember to hit ctrl+1 to jump backwards… only to still get hit by the AoE for 300,000 damage.

The jumping animations and aerial cartwheels with a poleaxe make it worth it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You never really know a fight until you can clear it as a BLM. Knowing which mechanics you have to do or they'll wipe you and which you can ignore for uptime.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Autisanal Cheese posted:

You'll find your level, and then get comfy, and then get comfy enough that your mind starts wandering mid-rotation and you'll be like "hmm, I bet I could..."

There's some totally psycho poo poo involving skipping umbral hearts and casting slow Fire 3s and literally using Lucid Dreaming while using a third party tool to perfectly track server regen ticks that's still totally beyond me and likely will be forever, though.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

This is why I main DRG. I can die to mechanics because I’ve spammed five cooldowns that all immobilize me through their animations and the healers will just sigh and go “loving dragoon” while hitting their rez macro, but sometimes I remember to hit ctrl+1 to jump backwards… only to still get hit by the AoE for 300,000 damage.

The jumping animations and aerial cartwheels with a poleaxe make it worth it.

See, that's the fun thing about BLM. Healers instinctively know that you're going to stand in AoEs for uptime. You getting hit by stuff isn't playing badly, it is playing well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hellioning posted:

See, that's the fun thing about BLM. Healers instinctively know that you're going to stand in AoEs for uptime. You getting hit by stuff isn't playing badly, it is playing well.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Relyssa posted:

And they said TLD was the nazi adjacent chud...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

man i gotta get back to healing

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

All that was going through my head while reading that BLM advice:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BLM is fascinating, it's the only magic job where MP actually matters most of the time!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

ArfJason posted:

And they said TLD was the nazi adjacent chud...

lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
In both WoW and this, if you constantly stand in poo poo, I let you die. Sorry, thats the rules of the healer (Healer Code).

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

reversefungi posted:

All that was going through my head while reading that BLM advice:

Not a single mention of the incredibly cursed Paradox rotation. For shame.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That Little Demon posted:

In both WoW and this, if you constantly stand in poo poo, I let you die. Sorry, thats the rules of the healer (Healer Code).

Did the same back when I played ff14. It isn't my job to let the dps ignore basic mechanics.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If it's been a long alliance raid sometimes I'll stand in the bad just so dying gives me enough time to jam the a rest of a sandwich in my mouth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I rolled up with Krile Crew tonight and had a wonderful time clearing Anemos. What a weird and interesting pile of side content.

TBH i like old MMOs so i think i might be hooked.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I just use triple cast randomly, whenever I remember it exists.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

I rolled up with Krile Crew tonight and had a wonderful time clearing Anemos. What a weird and interesting pile of side content.

TBH i like old MMOs so i think i might be hooked.

oh nice i was in a pagos group with em tonight

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Veev posted:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

(But also I do use it in my opening.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Veev posted:

An easy way to get value out of it is just to use it as soon as you swap into fire mode. The gap between finishing your fast-cast F3 and starting your F4s means you can weave it in without clipping and now you've shaved a total 0.9 pre-Spellspeed seconds off your astral cycle.

I'm pretty sure this is actually optimal before you've unlocked Despair, although I end up sneaking swift/triplecast Flares into the end of my astral cycles even against single targets just for the novelty. It used to be impossible! Ice spells didn't always cost 0MP in fire mode. Casting Flare without having Convert (old name for Manafont, also cost you HP to use) ready would leave you trapped in 0MP astral mode and completely at the mercy of Transpose!

Note: don't actually do the Flare thing, it's a loss

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 20, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lmfao

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Someone in this thread is gaslighting me into ERPing with them, and I've reported it to the mods. lmfao

snohax
May 30, 2011

For folks currently in ARR and looking for a palette cleanser, I highly recommend picking up the Rogue (which leads into Ninja) and Arcanist (gets you both Summoner and Scholar) quests. These are the only job quests of the 1-to-50 set that weren't directly or partially ported from 1.0 and boy howdy does it show in the difference in quality. Rogue especially is strong right out the gate, and of course after the fact I found out those were written by Ishikawa, who worked on the Crystal Tower and Coils raids as well as a lot of the game's most widely-beloved storylines in the expansions.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

snohax posted:

Crystal Tower and Coils raids

I just did Final Coils this week and am of the opinion that the NPC character development within is essential to a big part of the story, and I'm sorry that I didn't do it before ShB. I was really impressed.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I played a Warrior to the start of Stormblood like 3 years ago. How is jumping back in in 2023?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Easier than ever before. Most of Stormblood is duty-supportable and the rest will be when the next patch comes out so you can do the dungeons with NPCs and help you get back into the swing of things.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Poppers posted:

I played a Warrior to the start of Stormblood like 3 years ago. How is jumping back in in 2023?
Should be fairly easy to get back into the game, they simplified how aggro works for tanks, streamlined how classes work, and you can test the waters with NPCs in dungeons now.
In a month and a half with 6.5 (expected early October) every mandatory MSQ dungeons will be runnable with NPC parties, the last ones to be implemented are the Stormblood patches ones.

Coincidentally there's a free login period for returning players giving 14 days of access to the game between August 9 to August 31 : https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/freelogincampaign/

So hop in !

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Poppers posted:

Day 1: Wtf is this what do these buttons do

It gets better after that. It's like you never left.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

drat ok... I was kind of a baddie too. I don't actually have time for an mmo but maybe sometime soon. Crazy I was already 70 at the start of Stormblood.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I will eventually restart now that I can try out a DPS class without having to interact with other players.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

rodbeard posted:

I will eventually restart now that I can try out a DPS class without having to interact with other players.

Speaking as someone who likes Duty Support, I will say the only positive thing about the ARR Duty Support Crew is that it is, in fact, the same four nameless characters the whole way through, so you do get to kinda watch them grow up alongside you and go from eager newbies to hardened veterans in ever-increasingly fancy gear, so at least there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
practiced with the blm a bit more today, including void ark. Didn't die once! I however probably had garbage dps (not that i care, i just want to have fun) and 3-4 times needed to keep enochian up via transpose while i avoided big swats. Don't feel bad about it, not for a first run. Feels good when you can blap off some semblance of a rotation for a bit and watch the pretty numbers fly