Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Randalor posted:

I just wanted to apologize to anyone who actually clicked on the goatse link, I should have tagged it but I also wanted comatoast to be dumb enough to blindly follow a link without checking the url, and seriously, gently caress that person.

Always nice when an old friend drops by to say hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
at this point in my life, goatse is just a familiar billboard on a highway in my hometown that i forget is there until i see it once every year or two

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

When I clicked on the link I just kinda gave a wistful smile, seeing my old friend. Then I quickly closed the tab so no one around me would see it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you really want someone to suffer you need to post Tubgirl, Goatse is about as shocking as Loss.jpg these days.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Heck I've got goatse framed and hanging in my kitchen

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Goatse is the friend you see every 3 months or so for a quick beer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also it’s fantastic this drama has resulted in a perma and a few long probes. :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Randalor posted:

I just wanted to apologize to anyone who actually clicked on the goatse link, I should have tagged it but I also wanted comatoast to be dumb enough to blindly follow a link without checking the url, and seriously, gently caress that person.

I kinda felt obligated to give you a 6er, but :ssh:

FlapYoJacks posted:

Also it’s fantastic this drama has resulted in a perma and a few long probes. :allears:

It actually hasn't been too bad at all. One of the long probes converted into a perma, so it's really only been... two maybe? It's been a busy thread for SH/SC, but not too bad. I'm proud of y'all.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
much rather see an old friend than a new toxic one

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

A quick "I need help draining my anal polyps" followed by the goatman has become my go-to when dealing with text scammers.
Modern problems require modern solutions

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

I kinda felt obligated to give you a 6er, but :ssh:

It actually hasn't been too bad at all. One of the long probes converted into a perma, so it's really only been... two maybe? It's been a busy thread for SH/SC, but not too bad. I'm proud of y'all.

I think that's mainly because the majority of people ITT are on the same page re: Linus being a shithead and LMG apparently being more horrible of a place to work than any of us might have guessed. We might quibble about some semantics or a specific detail here or there, but outside of the now-self-permabanned poster, nobody here's really gotten into a big heated argument. At least not that I've seen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
they just played the WAN show clip where Linus is asked about unions in a stream I’m watching.

It was asked by an “anonymous former videographer for a tech channel, who had toured (his) studio” and it was specifically about safeguarding workplace conditions: “What protections do you have in place for your staff? For your camera crew?,”etc

Linus’ response: “I’ve made it very clear in the past that if our staff felt like they needed a union, I would consider that—and Yvonne too—we would both consider it personal failures”

He follows it up by saying that in Canada it would be illegal for him to interfere if his employees ever wanted to unionize, and that he was baffled by the brazenness of anti-labor practices in the USA.

Not as bad a take as I remembered, but still clearly showing all the hallmarks of a “we’re so close here, we’re family” workplace

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 20, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Binary Badger posted:

When he bitched about spending $500 to retest a product, I just thought that was the height of absurdity after how he showed off his spanking brand new groverhaus that he was able to buy using YTbux that his testing videos brought in..

lol im also that streamer guy who has 100M in the bank and still glued into a room doing that stupid reaction gimmick 24/7

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Binary Badger posted:

When he bitched about spending $500 to retest a product, I just thought that was the height of absurdity after how he showed off his spanking brand new groverhaus that he was able to buy using YTbux that his testing videos brought in..

part of it is him having terminal small-business owner brain where he sees every dollar spent by the company as his money being spent, so anything he likes will get buckets of money, and anything he doesn't like or doesn't see the potential for immediate ROI he will kick and whine about

and part of it is that he explicitly stated he hated the water block and that he didn't want anyone to buy it. like, that's not an inference, he literally and specifically said that it didn't matter what data they would have got out of properly testing it because no matter what the results were he would still be convinced it's terrible and nobody should buy it.

i mean, i'm not a biz guy, maybe i don't have the right perspective or mentality, but i can't help but wonder if that'd be the biggest red flag for a hardware vendor considering sending products for early review. if Linus is willing to admit on camera he went into a review hating a product and deciding that nobody should buy it, and proceeded to gently caress up the review, who's to say he won't do it again? or perhaps has even done it before?

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 20, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean, i'm not a biz guy, maybe i don't have the right perspective or mentality, but i can't help but wonder if that'd be the biggest red flag for a hardware vendor considering sending products for early review. if Linus is willing to admit on camera he went into a review hating a product and deciding that nobody should buy it, and proceeded to gently caress up the review, who's to say he won't do it again? or perhaps has even done it before?

the hardware per se just a gateway into the sweet $$$ attention economy

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

He's a weirdo right-libertarian who destroys vintage hardware trying to "repair" it and creeps on his daughter's friends.

...w-what? I know of the other things but I've missed that one

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jeff Fatwood posted:

If he is a libertarian then that should be implied.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

edit: Whoops, wrong thread; sorry about that.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

part of it is him having terminal small-business owner brain where he sees every dollar spent by the company as his money being spent, so anything he likes will get buckets of money, and anything he doesn't like or doesn't see the potential for immediate ROI he will kick and whine about

and part of it is that he explicitly stated he hated the water block and that he didn't want anyone to buy it. like, that's not an inference, he literally and specifically said that it didn't matter what data they would have got out of properly testing it because no matter what the results were he would still be convinced it's terrible and nobody should buy it.

It definitely undermines the validity of other early access reviews from them, even just the unboxing stuff. It opens this real question of "what is sincere product reactions and reviews being done badly or well," vs. "what was approached with an predetermined editorial angle, good or bad, from the start." If the items like the Billet Labs block are brought in with the foreknowledge of "we're gonna trash this overpriced thing in the video no matter what" or that becomes the angle as they were planning the video before they'd done any basic, per spec testing with it, then at minimum, they've undercut everything they put into their lab. Half million dollar RF isolation chambers and climate controlled boxes don't mean anything if their writing staff, their on-screen talent or their boss who often wears those hats are putting their fingers on the scale rather than zeroing it every time. No one can trust the results they get weren't buffed or half-assed because of personal preference with their current state of affairs and communication.

Palladium posted:

the hardware per se just a gateway into the sweet $$$ attention economy

True enough. It's really tech Viva La Bam or computer Jackass at it's original core, even in the NCIX days where they'd highlight goofy products as much as anything anyone might want to buy for real. However, even Labs-concerns aside, there's a huge difference between setting up a bit with retail ready products being run per spec vs. running prototypes out of spec to get that attention economy payout. That latter is still deceptive even if couched the kayfabe of them just sending it, because odds are no small company was sending them stuff with the idea they'd already come to a verdict on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ultraklystron posted:

It's really tech Viva La Bam or computer Jackass at it's original core

“I’m Johnny Knoxville, and the Net is vast and infinite” swan dives off building as Ghost in the Shell overture plays

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

That's what bothered me most until the sexual abuse allegations. Like dude, your whole YouTube channel is built on enthusiast hardware which by definition is impractical and nobody should buy. Who really should buy a 4090? Who really should buy a custom water cooling loop? Nobody. We're not buying these things because they make sense, we're buying these things because they're cool.

The Billet Labs waterblock video was very entertaining but I'm honestly surprised LTT published it with how much it showcases them loving up. In their behind-the-scenes prep they somehow pick out and disassemble a 4090 instead of a 3090 TI and nobody notices until Linus points it out during their recording. They have the wrong mobo and have to use a substitute that doesn't fit, and they completely ignore the instructions the manufacturer provided.

How could any company send a product to LTT and hope to get a fair shake after seeing that video? It just shows reckless incompetence and disregard for even basic testing procedure. Linus has talked at length about how he wants LTT Labs to be some rigorous and thorough testing facility where the industry can be evenly and fairly evaluated. If a company sends a product to LTT to test is it a coin toss on if it ends up at the "respectable" LTT Labs or if it instead gets put on the LTT channel as a scathing entertainment piece where it's treated like garbage?

And that's completely ignoring the chaos that's been revealed afterwards. LTT LOST the 3090 TI the water block came with for testing. Presumably it ended up at a staffers house like many LTT items seem to. Then after testing they didn't bother to follow up with Billet Labs before publishing their video which is absolutely scathing for their product and destructive to the future of their company. That last point is extra hilarious because that seems to be the war cry Linus and his fans are marching behind in regards to the GamersNexus video. Like Steve somehow owes them the courtesy to allow them to defend their sloppy reporting and practices ahead of time, but Billet Labs deserves to get plowed under by LTTs dishonest review of their product.

I think LTT the channel could possibly recover from this, but not the LTT Labs project. They have absolutely shredded their integrity in regards to product testing and handling.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

He's had his teenage daughter's friends "model" -- in his words -- when testing vintage digital cameras, multiple times, when they were in their early teens.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I remember Anandtech not generating even a fraction of this drama when AMD tried to literally bribe them over the slow, late and bugged Phenom I

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

He's had his teenage daughter's friends "model" -- in his words -- when testing vintage digital cameras, multiple times, when they were in their early teens.

What the gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress!!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the gently caress

WHAT THE gently caress!!!

i mean its bonkers to do this and still think its OK and even more so to casually and smugly admit it out loud

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Palladium posted:

I remember Anandtech not generating even a fraction of this drama when AMD tried to literally bribe them over the slow, late and bugged Phenom I

A lot has changed since 2007 or so. The industry is more mature and respectable now, or is at least trying to be.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

I think LTT the channel could possibly recover from this, but not the LTT Labs project. They have absolutely shredded their integrity in regards to product testing and handling.

This is my exact same takeaway.

The loving man in charge is whining about $100-500 to test something properly he hosed up on the air.

Unless that was some guy in a Linus suit, its Linus himself that needs to resign for me to value their data coverage over a place like gamers nexus.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spunkshui posted:

This is my exact same takeaway.

The loving man in charge is whining about $100-500 to test something properly he hosed up on the air.

Unless that was some guy in a Linus suit, its Linus himself that needs to resign for me to value their data coverage over a place like gamers nexus.

As long as Linus owns the place you can never be sure he's not forcing whoever is "in charge" to do things exactly like he would, its always "his money" being spent. Not that its impossible for people to actually change their priorities, but a. in practice it doesn't happen and b. right now he's shown that he believes he's absolutely in the right.

Which is to say LTT's credibility is trashed forever. He's not going to divest unless it gets to a point where its that or close shop.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Palladium posted:

i mean its bonkers to do this and still think its OK and even more so to casually and smugly admit it out loud

Libertarianism: actually, it's ehephiolwoph-- (USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

How could any company send a product to LTT and hope to get a fair shake after seeing that video? It just shows reckless incompetence and disregard for even basic testing procedure. Linus has talked at length about how he wants LTT Labs to be some rigorous and thorough testing facility where the industry can be evenly and fairly evaluated. If a company sends a product to LTT to test is it a coin toss on if it ends up at the "respectable" LTT Labs or if it instead gets put on the LTT channel as a scathing entertainment piece where it's treated like garbage?

Big companies like Nvidia can send Linus huge bags of cash to make sure poo poo like this doesn't happen to them

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Big companies like Nvidia can send Linus huge bags of cash to make sure poo poo like this doesn't happen to them

They don't have to because Linus will bend over backwards as long as you're big enough, see the 7950X3D review

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think the last week has been a testament to how effective the basic crisis management action of “yo, make that dude SHUT THE gently caress UP” has been.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

watch this if what you want to feel this morning is an intense desire to die on the spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSr1dBcrzmw

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

watch this if what you want to feel this morning is an intense desire to die on the spot:

this man is a husband and a father

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
lol at one comment from 3 years ago (rest today) and it says "ok james"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

:yikes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

lol at one comment from 3 years ago (rest today) and it says "ok james"

are you a bad enough dude to survive the holocaust?

only the best people have what it takes

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Ok Comboomer posted:

this man is a husband and a father

So is Donald Trump.

Hell, Elon Musk has, what, 10 kids?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

So is Donald Trump.

Hell, Elon Musk has, what, 10 kids?

yes but this man committed a murder on stage

and recorded it too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Linus needs to take time off and actually get proper treatment for his ADHD.

Id be willing to wager that a lot of the expressed toxic behavior is directly related to not him not wanting to stifle his creativity with any medication.