Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Glumwheels posted:

What’s the listerine for?
Gargling, to kill the virus in the throat and help prevent spread/shorten duration of infection.

quote:

How do I obtain that nose spray in the US?
You can try to buy it off Amazon though they've jacked up the price precipitously, or from a reseller like biosenseclinic.com. Neither really ships quickly unfortunately. I personally am going to make my own because its literally just iota-carrageenan and sterile saline solution, which you can make with distilled water as noted by Playstemon. I personally would boil the distilled water for about a minute just to ensure that nasties like acanthamoebia aren't a concern.

quote:

Polysaccharides-based nasal spray

It has been demonstrated that complex structural sulfated polysaccharides, which are present in large amounts in many species of marine algae, can prevent the replication of enveloped viruses. Compounds from red algae like phycocolloid carrageenan as well as sulfated polysaccharides derived from brown and green algae have been viewed as potential antivirals against SARS-COV-2 [64]. Iota-carrageenan-based nasal spray can suppress SARS-CoV-2 in vitro at levels as low as 6 μg/ml, according to Bansal et al. [65]. Grover et al. formulated a nasal spray containing gellan and λ-carrageenan. When tested for both prophylaxis and spreading prevention, spray systems showed extremely strong antiviral abilities that completely inhibited the virus [66]. Marino med Biotech engineered iota carrageenan a nasal spray formulation to suppress the coronavirus-2. It has been demonstrated to inactivate novel, rapidly spreading variants. In vitro testing showed that the compound was successful in combating the SARS-CoV-2 wild type and three variants identified as the British, South African, and Brazilian varieties. Carragelose, a sulfated polymer derived from the red seaweed, the company's recent discovery acts to create layer on the mucosa which coats invading viruses, making them inactive [67].

Oracle has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

wow, looks terrible, the horror, we must never go back to that

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Does anyone happen to have the picture of a sign that said something like "Pool closed due to David-19" that was posted in one of the earlier threads a year or two ago? Wanted to text it at someone.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ajkalan posted:

Does anyone happen to have the picture of a sign that said something like "Pool closed due to David-19" that was posted in one of the earlier threads a year or two ago? Wanted to text it at someone.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F5hnyxwfqrd081.png

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

When people write about this they're going to write about it like the victorian era and people will be like "yeah they just didn't care about kids back then I guess."

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is there a new best vaccine to be getting? I'm eligible for another dose as of today.

I imagine it's just "whatever bivalent booster they have" but I'm not really sure at the moment.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

new vax is supposed to be dropping at the end of this month? maybe? i think?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

yoloer420 posted:

Is there a new best vaccine to be getting? I'm eligible for another dose as of today.

I imagine it's just "whatever bivalent booster they have" but I'm not really sure at the moment.

End of September the new XBB.1.5 monovalent vaccines are set to be delivered. Eligibility, cost etc. are all a bit of an undefined mess right now.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this is antivax

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
As long as we're posting our greatest hits, I've had this image saved for like two years and thankfully never had the opportunity to use it (the one time I caught covid I managed to not give it to anybody).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Also note they somehow found a stock photo of a kid getting jabbed where they're not wincing or screaming in pain

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also note they somehow found a stock photo of a kid getting jabbed where they're not wincing or screaming in pain

On the other hand his t-shirt is apparently covered in washed-out blood.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's ok, it's not his blood.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Animal-Mother posted:

wow, looks terrible, the horror, we must never go back to that

Yeah dude... That kind of loving sucked.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lmao the chuds are mad

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/status/1692803069065499112

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
* in addition to remdesivir now being approved for people with kidney disease, looks like Paxlovid will be there soon based on the positive outcomes of this trial (and probably could be given off-label now?) https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/cid/ciad371/7230618

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

"Jeez doc, a hand-on practical on the first day is a bit intense, no?"

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Rick posted:

When people write about this they're going to write about it like the victorian era and people will be like "yeah they just didn't care about kids back then I guess."

where’s the lie?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jigsaw posted:

where’s the lie?

The implication that things will have changed.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Petey posted:

my blood pressure has been pretty consistently high for a few months now, 130+ SBP in medical settings, so my cardiologist had me get a home monitor to do daily tests for a few weeks, using the "five minutes of quiet and rest before a test" protocol.

the first few times it was 140+ SBP over 80-85 DBP, which is pretty high. then i started drinking 6-8oz of beet juice in the morning and it's gone down to 120- SBP over ~80-82 DBP.

it's hard to control for everything of course — food, exercise, rest, time of day, and so on. i'm sure there are many factors. i'll probably try cycling back off it and see what happens. just figured i would mention it on the endothelial health front.

This is almost as bad as my 91 year old grandma when she gets all irritated and anxious at the doctor's office.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight

I got 4 mosquito bites tonight so prepare for a second.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fur20 posted:

aeon food court is pretty good but cmon man surely there's some better local place right across the street that proudly advertises takeout. drat i miss japan sometimes.
don't worry ive hit up all the local spots too. also been having feasts at summer festival stands

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This changing party line is simultaneously gratifying and increasingly making me uneasy. Given previous minimization, what is this minimization from?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Thank you

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

"You'd all be dead now if it wasn't for my David!"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bedpan posted:

this is antivax

How so?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pingui posted:

The implication that things will have changed.

This is probably the truth which loving sucks.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
https://twitter.com/jenniferTVTweet/status/1691810685456462028

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
did the bunny survive!?!? ive been left hanging over here

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

jennifer cummings

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I kissed vermin on the mouth and got sick, here's what went wrong [1/78]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I’ve seen two dead rabbits on my morning walk this last month, with no visible signs of anything wrong like being hit by a car, grabbed by predators etc. One was just lying on the sidewalk the other under a pine tree. The absolute last thing I’d do is touch one or allow my dogs to get close, much less put one in my mouth.
Tularemia goes around here every couple of years, last time it killed a few people.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

god help us all

or don't i guess w/e

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fosborb posted:

lol first locally transmitted malaria case in the DC area in the last 40 years just announced tonight

It’s falciparum malaria.

That’s the bad malaria, the malaria that you do not want to get.

It’s pretty weird that after twenty years with no local malaria, in one summer the United States has three independent outbreaks.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
In fairness I once had a trap catch a mouse on the leg and had to kill it to put it out of its misery and I felt sick for like a day because directly killing* creatures feels bad, not sure how I would handle a rabbit that my cat maimed

probably wouldn’t make out with it tho, fairness over

*regular mouse trap deaths are social murder which we all know is totally fine

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oracle posted:

The absolute last thing I’d do is touch one or allow my dogs to get close, much less put one in my mouth.

Sounds like you must have some pretty serious immunity debt, here, lick this mink

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Oracle posted:

I’ve seen two dead rabbits on my morning walk this last month, with no visible signs of anything wrong like being hit by a car, grabbed by predators etc. One was just lying on the sidewalk the other under a pine tree. The absolute last thing I’d do is touch one or allow my dogs to get close, much less put one in my mouth.
Tularemia goes around here every couple of years, last time it killed a few people.

I'd only heard of it from a castle tour in europe. The duke who lived there hosed off to the crusades, historians suspect tularemia went around the camp, and he was one of the people who died from it

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Vishass posted:

I'd only heard of it from a castle tour in europe. The duke who lived there hosed off to the crusades, historians suspect tularemia went around the camp, and he was one of the people who died from it

shouldn't have made out with that bunny when he was away from his wife

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It’s falciparum malaria.

That’s the bad malaria, the malaria that you do not want to get.

It’s pretty weird that after twenty years with no local malaria, in one summer the United States has three independent outbreaks.

Cool, great, good. Glad it's already getting colder at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
BA.2.86 is starting to make headlines here in Australia. It was the 4th top story on the national broadcaster's news page this morning

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-20/audience-new-covid-variant-ba-2-86-pirola-omicron/102751366