Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This week's episode of Foundation was by far the worst of the season, purely because it was the one with the least amount of Brother Day. It ends on a cliffhanger where it seems like the evil psychics killed Hari Seldon, which would have been a bit more interesting if the whole planet of the psychics and their obviously-evil leader plotline didn't feel like the prestige-TV version of a lesser TNG episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I just watched The Caller with the missus based on the RLM recommendation and I have to say that Jay was completely right about the third act. My god you never would see that coming. I wish I could find some concrete information about the film: it seems to have completely slipped through the cracks in terms of backstage stories, making-of type stuff and so on.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Probably shouldn't have started raw deal drunk, because I have no clue what's going on.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I guess I'm going against everyone, but I thought raw deal sucked, and I like arnie in nearly everything else I've seen

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Playing ghoulies and troll 1, for my bar customers, was good though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I guess I'm going against everyone, but I thought raw deal sucked, and I like arnie in nearly everything else I've seen

It's a fun novelty but it's absolutely trash tier Arnold. Good to see once but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
So I've been to the local movie theater twice in the last week.

First showing was for Asteroid City. Ramped up the Wes Anderson-ness to the max. I enjoyed it as it least was an original idea. It's alright but certainly not up there with his best.

Felt like the main theme was a bit thin, and maybe would have been tighter with a shorter run time to trim some of the little vignettes which didn't add much.

Second showing was for the remaster of Old Boy. Had only viewed it through the prism of that fight scene out of context, so was good going into a movie without knowing much about it other than it was a revenge film. Given most movies like this you are attuned to try to pick the twist, which means when it does land you've probably considered it, but still was a decent film.

Forget which movie it was but they showed a trailer for Wonka. I'd managed to avoid it so far, but geez it looked bad. Who wants this?

My main two takeways to it were, at least Johnson from Peep Show is getting paid, and, I wonder what dalmatian inspired contrivance they're going to come up with to kill his mother...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Colin about to have his mind loving blown...

[url]https://twitter.com/Sgtzima/status/1693041581694087253?s=20[url]

Update:

[url]https://twitter.com/Sgtzima/status/1693070886218125345?s=20[url]

People are in his replies who were at the screening, and they're claiming it wasn't that bad because "only a few people" were shouting out jokes, :shudder:

This is why, if I was going to see this in the theater, I could only go to an Alamo Drafthouse.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

LanceHunter posted:

Update:

People are in his replies who were at the screening, and they're claiming it wasn't that bad because "only a few people" were shouting out jokes, :shudder:

This is why, if I was going to see this in the theater, I could only go to an Alamo Drafthouse.

That's gotta hurt!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

Update:

Yeah, annoying people shouting unfunny stuff and trying to do rifftrax is a problem I've had a few times in the Prince Charles theatre which is a similar place. It was OK for The Room but I went to a paul verhoeven marathon and some twat wouldn't shut up.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah, annoying people shouting unfunny stuff and trying to do rifftrax is a problem I've had a few times in the Prince Charles theatre which is a similar place. It was OK for The Room but I went to a paul verhoeven marathon and some twat wouldn't shut up.

Sometimes it’s good to be reminded just how good we have it here with the Drafthouse. Anybody shouting jokes would be kicked out within minutes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I got a refund at that old animated Beowulf movie because a guy wouldn’t stop laughing at the part where Beowulf gets nude and somebody else pinned him to the ground and punched him in the head a bunch of times. Well, it wasn’t actually a refund, but it was a free pass for another movie at the theater, and I used it to see Southland Tales.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Watched banana splits. It's too stupid to hate

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This Linux Tech Tips fiasco has really shaken my faith in the youtuber community. What's next, are we gonna find out that Babish from Binging with Babish killed a kid in a drunk hit-and-run accident?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Mordja posted:

This Linux Tech Tips fiasco has really shaken my faith in the youtuber community. What's next, are we gonna find out that Babish from Binging with Babish killed a kid in a drunk hit-and-run accident?

Way worse: he makes Binging with Babish

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Saw Escape from New York on the big screen for the first time a couple of days ago. So many good lines. So many. Unfortunately some people, including one of the people I went with, thought it was a The Room type situation as described above. Half an hour in they had all shut the gently caress up and bowed down to the swagger of prime Kurt Russell though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Babish rips and his ep w/Adam Friedland is great

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Babish is so garbage the man owes money to the epa

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
imagine having a strong negative opinion about cooking content

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

lol imagine having bad taste

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

story of this thread

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

LanceHunter posted:

oooof

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Blue Beetle is reviewing quite well, and it's opening weekend is on path to gross literally thousands of dollars.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

Saw Escape from New York on the big screen for the first time a couple of days ago. So many good lines. So many. Unfortunately some people, including one of the people I went with, thought it was a The Room type situation as described above. Half an hour in they had all shut the gently caress up and bowed down to the swagger of prime Kurt Russell though.

Years back my favorite theater was featuring Kurt Russell movies all month, and across three weekends I got to see midnight screenings of Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China, and The Thing. Escape from New York was a blast. The crowd didn't treat it like The Room (it's a a similar set-up to Alamo Drafthouse), but definitely appreciated the laugh lines. "President of what?" absolutely killed.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Blue Beetle is reviewing quite well, and it's opening weekend is on path to gross literally thousands of dollars.

How much money could it even cost to fuel such a tiny car? This has to be a stunning success.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

gently caress you

I made his vodka pasta and his orange chicken and both were fuckin good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Babish is so garbage the man owes money to the epa

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

use your words, why is he bad

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

kalel posted:

use your words, why is he bad

He's friends with Adam Friedland (a bug that eats dust).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

He's friends with Adam Friedland (a bug that eats dust).

oh that’s right this is gbs, where ppl unironically believe that the chapos are putin guys

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
JFC please don’t start this bs in here

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Don’t know what any of the last three pages mean and no I will not read any explanation

Who’s seen the newest Breen oeuvre? How does it compare?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:gas:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

LanceHunter posted:

a damning indictment against toronto

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
which were both on oranges lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I might be annoying some people by bringing this up, but I would like to ask: what do yall think of the jarjar is a sith idea?

I used to think it was an interesting theory but now I'm convinced. There's so many subtle nods.

My only remaining question is if George backed out because he was afraid people hated jarjar so much it might hurt the franchise/his pocketbook, if he got spiteful after the reaction and said NO now you don't get my genius or if he meant to keep it a low key thing that was never revealed.

That legit would have been/is? an incredible twist imo and redeemed/s? that trilogy nearly entirely.

Also I kind of like those movies regardless. I know, I know.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

quote:

During the 1970s, the cemetery gained fame among ghost hunters and legend trippers for claims that it was haunted. Due to its secluded location, young partygoers frequented the site, leading to significant vandalism of the grave sites. Consequently, few original markers remain from more than 200 burials dating from 1840 until the early 1960s. According to Brad Bettenhausen, president emeritus of the Tinley Park Historical Society, "Kids start going there to drink and to party. They leave their trash behind, and you get the scary stories told around a little campfire or what have you. This is where the legends start".[3] Bettenhausen wrote that claims of floating lights, phantom cars, ghostly apparitions and other stories about the cemetery have been "told and retold by several generations of youths, however, few of these tales have any apparent basis in fact".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bachelor%92s_Grove_Cemetery

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I might be annoying some people by bringing this up, but I would like to ask: what do yall think of the jarjar is a sith idea?

it’s the stupidest loving thing, even for star wars

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol this is like some Mike Stoklasa villain origin poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Don't make me tap the thread title