Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ryde posted:

Half of my kid's grandparents live in Japan and the other half live in the US, how will they go visit them?

They'll just have to spend days/weeks traveling like in the old days. Surely it's not a problem for normal people to take a whole month off just to spend one week in their actual destination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ryde posted:

Half of my kid's grandparents live in Japan and the other half live in the US, how will they go visit them?

Sub-orbital rocket.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can use Zoom or Teams for a video phone call.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Astral projection.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ryde posted:

do you think this thread is actually going to abolish air travel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

yes

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

doctorfrog posted:

No, I don't. Just pointing out one of the problems with an idea that I have heard people say in earnest. No idea if Biplane actually believes its a good idea or not.

I find that people who go on about how air travel needs to be abolished tend to go all shocked pikachu when people point out that their entire extended family does not live within a couple days' drive of each other.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can take a boat or just not visit someone 40,000 miles away.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Dark Biden reads this thread and is going to use his Unlimited Train Works move

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

euphronius posted:

You can take a boat or just not visit someone 40,000 miles away.

This, honestly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, it's settled then, the only objection squashed, air travel is banned

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm glad of it

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cerekk posted:

Air travel sucks because no one will pay a price premium to fly on airlines that prioritize customer experience.

For decades, every time an airline has done something customer-hostile in order to reduce ticket price, the end result has been selling more tickets. When Virgin America or whoever tries to buck the trend and sell a premium experience, they go bankrupt instead.

I dno Ryanair in Europe is basically like riding on an uncomfortable city bus but tickets are like legit 20 bucks and you can literally take a 3 day weekend vacation anywhere within the eu and spend money on comfy hotels and nice restaurants instead of air travel so it's totally worth it.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Preoptopus posted:

I dno Ryanair in Europe is basically like riding on an uncomfortable city bus but tickets are like legit 20 bucks and you can literally take a 3 day weekend vacation anywhere within the eu and spend money on comfy hotels and nice restaurants instead of air travel so it's totally worth it.

This is sort of what I'm getting at. Airlines have succeeded in meeting the desires of their customers, which is to have the cheapest ticket possible regardless of how lovely the experience is. This is reflected in the fact that air travel is cheaper and more accessible than it has ever been, if you're flying economy. And they have also succeeded in meeting the desires of people who are willing to pay for the experience to not suck, because first/business/premium economy classes are all generally much more comfortable and come with more amenities than they ever have. There is a very limited customer pool for airlines that try to service a middle-road customer that is willing to pay a little bit more for a little bit better experience.

Using the 787 as an example since I'm posting from one right now. When the 787 was first introduced, most airlines configured their economy cabins with 8 seats per row, letting them fit the widest (~18.5") economy seats in the industry. Pretty shortly afterward a few airlines figured out that they could instead put a 17 inch seat in the plane and fit one more seat per row. So they increased the number of seats by 12%, undercut everybody that was still in an 8-across configuration, and ended up with basically all the bookings despite the terrible uncomfortable seats because anybody that's booking economy doesn't give a poo poo how awful the experience is, they just want the cheapest flight possible. Over the next few years, every other airline followed suit because nobody would pay the higher ticket prices on the airlines with the better economy product. So economy has gotten more unpleasant, but it's not for no reason, and it arguably hasn't "gotten worse" since the #1 factor that customers desire is cheaper tickets, and the tickets have gotten cheaper.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its called race to the bottom and thats where government is supposed to step in and regulate hahah

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Bagging your own groceries is scabbing. So is self-checkout.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

they should provide cheaper tickets but with the wider seats, imo

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

ryde posted:

Steamliner, as Commodore Perry intended

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

steinrokkan posted:

Well, it's settled then, the only objection squashed, air travel is banned

:smith: I'll never see my family again.

:unsmith: I'll never see my family again.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I heard back from Superstore. They did the usual apology then said this:

quote:

In an effort to provide our customers with a more efficient checkout experience, we introduced the Bag-Your-Own program.

This process allows us to offer lower pricing due to labour savings, as our cashiers are able to process a greater number of customer orders.

They went on to say that any unoccupied staff could help those in need, which isnt a thing because they have the bare minimum minus one at the front, and they havent done anything to keep food prices down anyway.

I think I may pass it along to the media.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Well, theyve got some stones, just capitalizing and hyphenating the words of the thing theyre making you do to make it a program.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Jesus that's an enraging corporate communication

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ryde posted:

IMO let the Japanese build a shinkansen to LA

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

let down by absentee owners and coders who never thought to improve or replace an attachment system that has existed for decades, assuming some other chump would pay for hosting.

The problem is apparently that images are currently stored directly in the database

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tunicate posted:

The problem is apparently that images are currently stored directly in the database
well then. sounds like they're gonna have to bring John Carmack in.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

skooma512 posted:

Vizio has the secret Greg channel. You guys are missing out on all this Greg content.

Believe me, I've got all the Greg I can handle. And that's not just me saying that. It's Greg.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

VikingofRock posted:

IMO let the Japanese build a shinkansen to LA

They would probably finish it before California finishes the one that was supposed to go from San Francisco to LA.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i spent the majority of my adult life packing my own groceries in nyc so now having people do it feels luxuriant and kinda too much. just....watching someone whose only job is packing my poo poo and standing there being like, yes, yesssss, pack my bags, bagslave. the trader joe's cashiers are always happy when me and my partner help pack our stuff :unsmith:

that said, it is actually a pretty vital service for disabled folks and elderly folks. i just wish it wasn't treated as an entitlement or expectation, the whole 'now the grocery store's got me working for them!' boomer narrative when you have to pack your own poo poo. Especially since getting to drive with your groceries after is so loving nice, just flying home on a magic carpet - I used to haul 2 weeks of groceries on a bus, covered like a pack mule. loving sucked. Having someone pack your bags for you then getting to stash it in a trunk and driving it home is very, very lush.

I was in Poland for a short bit, and it was weekly trips to the nearby grocery where you packed your own stuff and rolled in home in a grocery cart, but you'd have to pack QUICK because those ladies would check you out with no mercy and move along at lightning speed and everyone in line would be glaring. Americans would never survive it. I loved it bc it was so fast and I never had to do small talk with the cashiers. It's taken me years to re-adjust to how long the checkout process is in the American South is. So...much....conversation.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 20, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

When I lived in america I asked my boss why the gently caress are people bagging my groceries for me and she said its because america needs jobs that are pointless, meaningless drudgery to stuff teenagers and other unwanteds into and it made sense.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Aldi gets it, the cashiers just fill up your cart and send you to the counter to pack your poo poo yourself away from the checkout lanes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The 17 year old cashier is way faster at packing things than I am as they scan the items and then I just put the bags in my cart and go. Its a convenience that the store used to provide and now expects the customer to do because theyre gradually training their customers to not expect good things

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

StrangersInTheNight posted:

the trader joe's cashiers are always happy when me and my partner help pack our stuff :unsmith:

The TJs cashiers Ive had never want help, Ive tried but they go on to quickly pack the bags perfectly and neatly. Maybe they can see in my eyes that Ill be a half hearted packer

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I was in Poland for a short bit, and it was weekly trips to the nearby grocery where you packed your own stuff and rolled in home in a grocery cart,

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take the grocery carts home

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

armpit_enjoyer posted:

poo poo..

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There wasn't a price tag, so that means it was free! :stat:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The elites dont want you to know this but the shopping carts at the supermarket are free you can take them home I have 458 carts

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Atopian posted:

The elites dont want you to know this but the shopping carts at the supermarket are free you can take them home I have 458 carts

Bubbles is that you

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The grocery store I go to keeps the bags behind the counter, to make extra sure nobody bags their own poo poo.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Bubbles is that you

:omarcomin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
The secret to not bagging your own groceries is ordering your groceries for pickup. They even bring it out to your car for you!

Unless somebody explains why this is somehow lovely, I can see a future where you're not even allowed in the store at all.