Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wait if services no longer has a price then how am I supposed to tax it????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Agean90 posted:

It doesn't have a 'market price'. It does still have a local price; what they're saying is that services in NYC are no longer connected to services in Kansas.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Agean90 posted:

you will still be able to tax a certain amount from all the local sells, if that makes sense. It now just won't be generalized.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

RabidWeasel posted:

Dev post:

This is more exciting to me than the military changes, 1.5 sounds like it's going to be a totally different game economically

yeah, no more services death spiral if you modernize your cities.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

looking forward to Vicky3's version of rural electrification being 'Tennessee gets to have any electricity whatsoever'

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
Just had an infuriating glitch during a German unification play. The war was going great and several minors (and, incidentally, Russia) had capitulated, but the rest just... didn't, despite being at -100 warscore. The AI side also wouldn't accept any peace deal, even a +1000-for-all white peace. They didn't reject the deal, either: it just expired after 30 days, which is not something I've ever seen happen before with the AI.

I thought it was somehow breaking because Anhalt, left unoccupied due to being completely surrounded by Prussia (uninvolved), was stuck at 0 warscore. I violated Prussia's sovereignty to occupy them, at which point Anhalt capitulated but all the other broken -100-support minors stayed stuck in, and now France and Prussia and Russia (again) and the Ottomans were all determined to kick my teeth in. To add insult to injury, taking Anhalt took so long that all the autosaves from before the sovereignty violation had been overwritten.

Fortunately, the tag who originated the "cut down to size" counter-wargoal did already properly capitulate, so I can just capitulate myself now and lose nothing except some time and infamy. But still, just a miserable experience.

---

Separate from all of that, the military improvements laid out in the dev diary look fantastic. Huge improvements along basically every axis. There's a few details I'm not happy with but they're I think it's pretty likely for those to get improved during the beta process or, at worst, with a mod.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

excited to have to electrify on a state-by-state basis, by which I mean spend a shitton of extra time fiddling with PMs because I can't just slot in one mega-plant and then flip on the switches everywhere at once. Idk what the fix is but i'd like to spend a lot less time pressing those buttons

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

excited to have to electrify on a state-by-state basis, by which I mean spend a shitton of extra time fiddling with PMs because I can't just slot in one mega-plant and then flip on the switches everywhere at once. Idk what the fix is but i'd like to spend a lot less time pressing those buttons

yes, please, I hate having to mess with production methods to fine tune how much of each thing gets produced. that's so obnoxious

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Let private investors take care of your infrastructure needs, surely this won't backfire

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Really disappointed I'm not going to be able to build a railroad in London to provide transportation in Cambodia anymore.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Between this and local pricing there is going to have to be some kind of "change everything to the most advanced PM where it has enough supply orders available / affordable locally for it to make sense" button

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

yeah i'm stoked for a lot of these changes but i'm not exactly excited about this one

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Vagabong posted:

The big warfare change I want is it actually having an effect on internal politics

Bring back revanchism as a mechanic.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Yeah, when I started playing and it wasn't really obvious that electricity is stored and sold the same way as any other product on internal market I thought it saves me a lot of trouble. But now that I got a hang on the mechanics I think it would really help to diversify the economy. I really need that periphery, the frontier!

Another thing similar to that would be some inertia to production method. Like maybe HoI4 style production getting bonuses over time. It's an obvious issue IRL and it would make an interesting choice - your old canned food factory would actually lose its effectiveness if you switch to more modern production methods. But it's hard to implement without changing a lot of systems, like then you should allow having several production methods in one state, so I'm not sure it's viable. And adding switch penalty the way is done with military is cruel when it can have unforeseen consequences and a lot of time you switch methods just for a couple of days to see how much it breaks the economy.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Actually having to consider where to build an industry will be something that will take some getting used to, but is a very welcome change. Hopefully they add some tools to prevent too much micromanagement frustration, like a "switch everything to this production method if the resources are available" button.

Didn't they also say something about having local goods actually get consumed locally first, meaning a steel factory in a province with an iron mine will actually perform better, like you'd expect? I'm very glad that the economic terrain of the country is becoming more important to gameplay.

ilitarist posted:

Maybe I misunderstood the changes, but fronts no longer gradually moving but capturing whole states is quite sad.
Nuts to that! The fluid fronts were always an unsalvageable horrible nightmare. It was simulating completely random arbitrary stuff that the player had no control over and yet had serious consequences to the player. It added nothing but a cute line that never even really made sense.

From a both a gameplay perspective and a simulationist perspective this is a vast improvement. A sensible abstraction is a much more realistic simulation than a highly detailed but fundamentally broken simulation.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Well, that was a new and unpleasant experience.

Russia just invaded me, completely out of the blue and for no good reason, and took Gotaland. My experience is rather limited, but I've still never seen them try that before, and no competing Great Powers seemed to feel like that was anything worth getting involved over. I guess I'm just gonna build up my army a little -- not easy, with the economic hit I just took -- and then wait for them to get involved in another war and try to take it back?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Between this and local pricing there is going to have to be some kind of "change everything to the most advanced PM where it has enough supply orders available / affordable locally for it to make sense" button

yeah a global "good enough" button that I can then go fine tune would work wonders in saving my wrist

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The war changes seem very good, especially formations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

yeah a global "good enough" button that I can then go fine tune would work wonders in saving my wrist

There is already sort of a button that does that, the “set production methods equal to the national level” one, which currently just means telling a state to have the same PM as most of your nation.

Could be cool to have a way to set a template for later assignment.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

yeah i'm stoked for a lot of these changes but i'm not exactly excited about this one

why not?

genuine q, i think having meaningful regional disparities and thoughtful decisions is Good and Cool

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

when looking at electricity specifically, there's quite a few buildings with electricity specific PMs. Considering private investments tendency to scatter buildings around, it means that every state you electrify you're gonna have to go and individually switch every one of those buildings when the powerplants come online. You can't just switch nationally for obvious reasons, unless you wanna embark on a massive building campaign of unused powerplants and just flick the 'Electrify Nation' switch at some point (which defeats the whole purpose tbh.) It's a lot of extraneous clicking without any decision making involved, really.

I think certain PMs should just be switchable but 'disabled' without a supply of their good - without any of the good on the market, they should act like the PM is disabled, and only start having an effect when the good is available. I'm not even sure thats workable with PMs that reduce employment though.

alternatively, maybe electricity specifically should just have different mechanics. like you need to rebuild buildings to use electricity, and you cant just switch off PMs in a shortage - you're committed.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, having to manually electrify and railroad every single state -- and also keep track of them manually because it won't be immediately obvious on the Buildings tab if I can switch to a PM or not, and also I can't use the handy "everyone use these PMs, they're better" buttons on that tab too -- that sounds like a micromanagement nightmare.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Popoto posted:

There is already sort of a button that does that, the “set production methods equal to the national level” one, which currently just means telling a state to have the same PM as most of your nation.

Could be cool to have a way to set a template for later assignment.

Which is still clicked on a by-state basis, one that will probably also have a lot less value when you have to start doing electrification and such on a by-state scaling anyways (depending on the exact size of your core and periphery I guess). But yes that button was an insanely huge QoL addition and the game was much worse before it certainly. Also just, like, if you have to slowly electrify a place and generate demand for it while building it up you'll prolly have to stagger PM changes to the degree where that button could be self-defeating and/or not what you need

Lady Radia posted:

why not?

genuine q, i think having meaningful regional disparities and thoughtful decisions is Good and Cool

it's objectively cool & good (imo), but it's gonna bring focus to fighting the UI and busywork button clicking again, which is bad (imo). I also play some MP, where these sort of issues get hugely magnified since you cant pause the game to optimize poo poo and just have to spike your APM to try and do all this poo poo while at a constant 3 speed

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 18, 2023

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Eiba posted:

Nuts to that! The fluid fronts were always an unsalvageable horrible nightmare. It was simulating completely random arbitrary stuff that the player had no control over and yet had serious consequences to the player. It added nothing but a cute line that never even really made sense.

From a both a gameplay perspective and a simulationist perspective this is a vast improvement. A sensible abstraction is a much more realistic simulation than a highly detailed but fundamentally broken simulation.

the cute line should stay but it should be mechanically meaningless

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

it's objectively cool & good (imo), but it's gonna bring focus to fighting the UI and busywork button clicking again, which is bad (imo). I also play some MP, where these sort of issues get hugely magnified since you cant pause the game to optimize poo poo and just have to spike your APM to try and do all this poo poo while at a constant 3 speed

yeah ideally the UX is improved to managing this etc.

i dunno if it WILL be but,

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
tbc I really like the regional mechanic for everything except power and possibly railroads, it's just that I can see it being a gigantic hassle for those for not a whole lot of gain in fun

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Google Jeb Bush posted:

tbc I really like the regional mechanic for everything except power and possibly railroads, it's just that I can see it being a gigantic hassle for those for not a whole lot of gain in fun

One organic thing I’m anticipating is concentrating things as much a possible in a few regions to reduce on the tedium of clicking, which would sort of in line with how places developed no? Capital concentrating in the financial centers, etc.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

the cute line should stay but it should be mechanically meaningless

Lines look neat. And from what I understand you'll still capture cities past the frontline affecting the economy, so it's even stranger.

I've compare it to Stellaris exactly because it removes an unsustainable cool idea in favour of a simple system that is sure to work better. Still, a little bit of magic is lost.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

It is essential for railroads if you're playing any kind of a puppet of a big backwards nation. For instance in my latest Finland game the Russians are apparently coming all the way from Siberia just to ride on my trains. I have 4-5 railways in each of the three continental provinces and absolutely no way to utilize them in any other way than as profitable buildings.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
One of the interesting effects that local prices for services and transportation is going to have is on SoL. Services are pretty strongly tied into that so we'll probably see big differences in rural and industrialized states SoL. Especially on the top end for the upper strata pops.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I enjoy building hydroelectric power plants in the Sahara desert

The capitalists have built a level 132 art academy in the Niger River delta, with 32 more on the way. Max employment is like 150k and it currently employs 23k.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 20, 2023

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Major rivers should be a natural resource that you put development into for more pre-rail infrastructure and transport. Electric dams would then be a PM on your rivers, and fuel-burning plants their own separate thing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Those are interesting ideas. I was thinking the other day that natural harbors and major rivers aren't really significant enough. States having a hydroelectric dam capacity like they have an arable land capacity would be p cool.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
For the logging industry, there also could be charcoal production as the other alternative thing to do besides hardwood production.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Apparently they're switching wine production into its own building, which is good. They should do the same with every kind of building that produces multiple products, like logging camps, chemical plants, arms industries and shipyards. It'd be good to see dedicated hardwood logging camps, explosives factories, artillery factories and man-o-war/ironclad yards.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Gort posted:

Apparently they're switching wine production into its own building, which is good. They should do the same with every kind of building that produces multiple products, like logging camps, chemical plants, arms industries and shipyards. It'd be good to see dedicated hardwood logging camps, explosives factories, artillery factories and man-o-war/ironclad yards.

Ships is really bad at the moment, to make enough 'ironclads' to support a late game navy you need to make so much civilian shipping to supply the entire world twice over, on max millitary output.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gort posted:

I mean wine never made sense to me but wood kinda does. I think there are some facilities where it makes sense to be able to "use the same production lines", as it were, but i think that being able to manually balance the output to an extent would be a huge improvement

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

EwokEntourage posted:

I enjoy building hydroelectric power plants in the Sahara desert

The capitalists have built a level 132 art academy in the Niger River delta, with 32 more on the way. Max employment is like 150k and it currently employs 23k.

the art academy has grown to around level 250, still only employs about 30k people

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

What happened here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

CapnAndy posted:

What happened here
Well, whatever the cause, Mexico is thanking it’s lucky stars.