Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Huuuh?

If you have the same problem with different, known good, video card then the problem isn't the video card. Its something else in the system.

Just a example of how something weird can screw things up: I had a case with a paper clip in it once that somehow fell behind the mobo that cause some weird problems that I couldn't figure out until I pulled the mobo out of the case and found it by accident. Worked fine after that was removed!

I would start testing everything in that computer in another PC with known good parts until the problem is duplicated to find the culprit. That is the old, hard and slow way of doing it but does work.

Yeah I know it isn't the card now. The comment about buying an Nvidia card was because these issues didn't appear until I switched to AMD. Though God knows if the issue would appear with one of those now too.

I hate computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Are you overclocking your CPU?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

No.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Nuked my Windows install again. Setup with no internet. Installed the AMD drivers, and only the AMD drivers. Restarted and the issue occurred again. So that tells me the issue has to be somewhere else in the system.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

can you try the gpu in a different pcie slot? otherwise i'm thinking its a weird motherboard or cpu issue as there's not a lot of factors left

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Also try a considerably older driver.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

can you try the gpu in a different pcie slot? otherwise i'm thinking its a weird motherboard or cpu issue as there's not a lot of factors left

mITX build, so just the one PCIe slot. Issue occurred with my 5900X and with the 5800X3D I switched to.

I just changed to an older set of RAM and I can consistently reboot now without the issue appearing. Putting the newer RAM back in causes the issue to reappear. I think I found the culprit.

The RAM is something I upgraded prior to getting the GPU, and I haven't been getting any other memory related issues, so I never considered this could be the problem.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It doesnt appear to be software to me. So, in order of increasingly annoying hardware troubleshooting probs:

-Swap the ram slots, and try booting without 1 stick as well.
-Try a different PCIe power cable from a different PCIe power plug on the power supply (assuming its modular).
-Blow the slot itself out
-Reseat the CPU, and try it with less or more mounting pressure if its an LGA board.
-Try a different CPU/board if possible

efb, thats why i put ram first, it is often the source of mystery issues.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I just changed to an older set of RAM and I can consistently reboot now without the issue appearing. Putting the newer RAM back in causes the issue to reappear. I think I found the culprit.

I'm both glad you found the problem and baffled that bad RAM would cause the problems you were experiencing.

Usually I get BSOD's with bad RAM not something that looks like a bad driver install.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks to everyone putting up with my incessant posting about this over the last few days.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Are you overclocking your CPU?

Or, are you enabling XMP or letting the board increase the speed? Did the issue occur if you drop the faulty sticks to 2400 or 2133? I am wondering if maybe the newer stick has different speeds or timings and that is what’s causing the issue moreso than the stick itself. Or it can work in reverse and a slower stick/slower speed setting cues lower voltages and the chip is stable at XMP but not at JEDEC.

Either way though a lot of random crashiness these days can be tied back to either faulty ram settings or dying memory controller. A lot of people are learning the hard way that “24/7 safe” voltages aren’t, and “3600 speed is safe” really isn’t, and that boards have been allowed to punch up the SOC/SA voltages automatically for a long time now. It’s really one reason I think it’s silly to use anything other than the X3D chips given their utter nonchalance about ram speeds and fabric clocks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 19, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or, are you enabling XMP or letting the board increase the speed? Did the issue occur if you drop the faulty sticks to 2400 or 2133? I am wondering if maybe the newer stick has different speeds or timings and that is what’s causing the issue moreso than the stick itself.

Either way though a lot of random crashiness these days can be tied back to either faulty ram settings or dying memory controller. A lot of people are learning the hard way that “24/7 safe” voltages aren’t, and “3600 speed is safe” really isn’t, and that boards have been allowed to punch up the SOC/SA voltages automatically for a long time now. It’s really one reason I think it’s silly to use anything other than the X3D chips given their utter nonchalance about ram speeds and fabric clocks.

When I was swapping the RAM back and forth I had XMP disabled so both sets were running at 2133. They're rated for 3600 MHz with their normal XMP profile, which is what I had them set to while I've been using them. Ironically, the set I switched back to that let the problem go away I had consistently overclocked to 3200MHz for about two and a half years. It's possible that the faulty stick(s) got damaged due to XMP, but I never applied any additional overclocking to them, nor did I try to edit their timings manually.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I'm both glad you found the problem and baffled that bad RAM would cause the problems you were experiencing.

Usually I get BSOD's with bad RAM not something that looks like a bad driver install.

During the Vista era I kept getting a ton of nvidia display driver "TDR" errors (timeout detection and recovery). When I replaced the RAM they went away. :iiam:

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

astral posted:

During the Vista era I kept getting a ton of nvidia display driver "TDR" errors (timeout detection and recovery). When I replaced the RAM they went away. :iiam:

During the late XP/early Vista era I was getting driver crashes and TDRs playing one specific game, what resolved it was overlocking my CPU from 2.4 GHz to 3 GHz. Ironically my best guess was the problem was the game was running so slowly and saturating so much CPU on the Core 2 Duo E6600 I was using at the time that it was stalling for long enough to trip the lower precision timers responsible for TDRs even though nothing was actually wrong, overclocking bought enough performance that it got around to resetting the timers more frequently which stopped the forced driver resets from happening. Later on I upgraded to a i7-2700k with the same video card/memory amount and that particular game ran 3 times faster at the same resolution.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Ah yes, vista drivers. What a debacle. Good times.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yudo posted:

Ah yes, vista drivers. What a debacle. Good times.

I ran Windows XP 64 as my daily driver during those years, and rarely had driver issues. I know I'm like one out of the 17 total people who actually ran that OS, but it was easily one of my favorite Windows versions of all time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I unironically liked Vista until I tried 7 and it opened my eyes. I miss W7 tbh, but any time I see it on a clients system I want to cry.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Win2000 was my fav for a long time.

Its complete poo poo now since its been hacked so many times after the leaks and such but coming from win98 to win2000 was a incredible difference in reliability and consistency in performance. Even ran fairly well on older and slower hardware too. Used it for years even after SP4.

Win7 is my second fav and then win10. Win11 is OK after you turn off as much of the spying as you can but I'm not thrilled with it or the stupid BS they're pushing by trying to make everyone have a email account linked to it on login.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i lump everything past Win XP as a vague blob of updates - I never had issues with Win 10 or 11

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems AC Mirage is sponsored by Intel, so maybe we'll finally get an Assassin's Creed with DLSS?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Seems AC Mirage is sponsored by Intel, so maybe we'll finally get an Assassin's Creed with DLSS?

No they are paying for XeSS exclusivity.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Win11 is OK after you turn off as much of the spying as you can but I'm not thrilled with it or the stupid BS they're pushing by trying to make everyone have a email account linked to it on login.

It’s the dumb right click menu “improvement” that broke the camels back for me. I’m not even a power user in the slightest, it’s just one weird mandated decision after another. My phone apps already do that constantly, I don’t want my desktop OS also speedrunning enshittification any%

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Vista owned, it had a baller media center with full recording support.

Just grab yourself a cable card with like 3-4 inputs and tell it who your provider was. You got a full TV guide (that ran fast) and the ability to record multiple channels at once.

https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_Media_Center

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Win11 is OK after you turn off as much of the spying as you can but I'm not thrilled with it or the stupid BS they're pushing by trying to make everyone have a email account linked to it on login.

pro-tip: install win11 pro N version, it's the lovely european version with much bloatware removed, then install media feature pack from the features settings so videos work correctly

you'll have a fully functional w11 install that only has like 6 icons in start menu instead of 3 billion app ads

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Huh, wouldn't have thought to do that.

Good to know though!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

buglord posted:

It’s the dumb right click menu “improvement” that broke the camels back for me. I’m not even a power user in the slightest, it’s just one weird mandated decision after another. My phone apps already do that constantly, I don’t want my desktop OS also speedrunning enshittification any%

The new right click menu is the only good thing about 11.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikusR posted:

The new right click menu is the only good thing about 11.

I laughed when I clicked the "show more options" and it just pulls out the legacy context menu.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

reading between the lines here a bit

- AMDs speedup comes from switching from a standard model to a (lossy?) compressed olive model running on DirectML
- it benchmarks well against nvidia running the standard model on pytorch
- but nvidia claimed a roughly 2x speedup when using olive/DirectML on their hardware

seems like an apples to oranges comparison? but correct me if i'm wrong because i'm really not up to speed on AI stuff

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

isndl posted:

I laughed when I clicked the "show more options" and it just pulls out the legacy context menu.

Would be nice if there was a switch somewhere to just use the legacy context menu. Though that's as likely to happen as Microsoft letting us go back to the legacy File/Edit/View menus in Office programs.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Branch Nvidian posted:

Would be nice if there was a switch somewhere to just use the legacy context menu. Though that's as likely to happen as Microsoft letting us go back to the legacy File/Edit/View menus in Office programs.
There is a registry key that does just that, if you want a program with a switch to do it instead just grab winaero tweaker.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

shrike82 posted:

i lump everything past Win XP as a vague blob of updates - I never had issues with Win 10 or 11
Game Mode wasted a ton of my time & frustrated me greatly until I figured out it was causing: certain games to randomly close, tons of audio issues, and even chrome to freeze.

It's the most nefarious default-to-on setting I've ever encountered. I had no idea it was causing those issues and thought there was some issue with my motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu, audio interface in win11 (nope, same audio issues through hdmi or motherboard), audio stack settings, etc. I spent weeks messing with stuff and running various stability tests and all of them passed.

The worst part is, I get more fps with it off.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 20, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Truga posted:

pro-tip: install win11 pro N version, it's the lovely european version with much bloatware removed, then install media feature pack from the features settings so videos work correctly

you'll have a fully functional w11 install that only has like 6 icons in start menu instead of 3 billion app ads

Oh, that sounds nice. How do you get that? Will a regular pro serial # work?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

There is a registry key that does just that, if you want a program with a switch to do it instead just grab winaero tweaker.

You can also hold shift while right clicking to go directly to the old context menu

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

legacy File/Edit/View menus in Office programs.

Why would you want that?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

$380 for a PNY 4060ti a decent enough option for a friend looking to upgrade from a 1070? He's set on an nvidia card, I couldn't get him to bite on a $299 6700xt.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

MikusR posted:

Why would you want that?

The few nerds at the office that requested it justify it as that they run excel and word by muscle memory and the different menus makes them waste time to relearn the workflows.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Enos Cabell posted:

$380 for a PNY 4060ti a decent enough option for a friend looking to upgrade from a 1070? He's set on an nvidia card, I couldn't get him to bite on a $299 6700xt.
amd is announcing what's probably going to be the 7800 next week at gamescom, you could have them wait and see if anything changes in pricing after the announcement just in case

https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1691864001129443634

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

The few nerds at the office that requested it justify it as that they run excel and word by muscle memory and the different menus makes them waste time to relearn the workflows.

Combination of this and being stubborn about not liking the grouping of features in the ribbon UI. I used Office 2000 until like 2016 because of this.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Oh, that sounds nice. How do you get that? Will a regular pro serial # work?

yeah, any pro serial should work. if you can't get install media for it where you live, or your OEM key doesn't let you select editions, all you have to do is put "ei.cfg" onto your usbkey\sources\ with
code:
[Channel]
Retail
and it'll let you select version on install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

Why would you want that?

At some number of functional entry points, Legacy menus make those functions more discoverable, and with fewer branches in the UX tree.

The break even point is muddy, and a lot of bad UI designers just start breaking their UI up more and more to make a 'ribbon' work, but as your software gets increasingly robust and feature rich, you probably should consider a menu bar and rich contextual menus more.

There is a very good reason why most productivity software uses that paradigm.