Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

sadly the US chose the superweapons general instead of the laser general.

Please tell me theres a mobile suit general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That Works posted:

Please tell me theres a mobile suit general

For mobile suits, transformers, and psychic monstrosity lab experiment schoolgirls you gotta switch over to Red Alert 3's Empire of the Rising Sun.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

"can I maybe have some shoes :shobon:" - a mobik, probably

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

not caring here posted:

Why not just forget the AI and have the drones outfitted with thermals and just roam an area searching for targets.

Now your area of engagement is many square miles and you, some rear end in a top hat scraped off the streets of moscow, randomly see your buddies explode, and it doesn't matter where you hide, day or night.

No need to expend a thousand drones at a time, you can't advance into that. Hell, you can't even defend against that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

"Select all BRDM", but half the tiles are BTR and the captcha won't accept not marking those.

select all images of BRDMs

you have failed to select the [Public Bus] and [pontiac aztek]

goodbye

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Madurai posted:

The navalization of land warfare is all but inevitable at this point, I think.

PUTIN IS THE MASTER OF MUSCOVY
ONLY THE ARMED FORCES OF UKRAINE STAND BEFORE HIM
FIELDS ARE NOW BATTLEFIELDS

that said yes please make the future of land warfare Highfleet.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

additionally both sides have been using drones to drop grenades/bomblets on otherwise disabled tanks as a way of doing considerable further damage to them before they can be recovered and that should protect against that as well. it's interesting that both sides have identified cope cages as useful protection, albeit you almost never see them on russian tanks anymore

It's only a cope cage if you install it to deflect javelins or something like that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CainFortea posted:

It's only a cope cage if you get blown up

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm mostly going off vague wikipedia and game knowledge here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't EFPs and HEAT rounds (like in an RPG-7) slightly different? They both work off of shaped charges, but from what I remember, EFPs basically use them to shape a copper disc into a giant bullet, while HEAT rounds use the explosives to turn the liner into a needle-like jet of plastic metal. EFPs can be detonated from some distance (several dozen meters, maybe?) away, but HEAT rounds need to be detonated relatively close to the target, since the jet of metal loses coherence much more rapidly.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
It's only a cope cage if it's from the Russian-occupied region of Ukraine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CainFortea posted:

It's only a cope cage if you install it to deflect javelins or something like that.

Otherwise it's a sparkling grenade net

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spoggerific posted:

I'm mostly going off vague wikipedia and game knowledge here, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't EFPs and HEAT rounds (like in an RPG-7) slightly different? They both work off of shaped charges, but from what I remember, EFPs basically use them to shape a copper disc into a giant bullet, while HEAT rounds use the explosives to turn the liner into a needle-like jet of plastic metal. EFPs can be detonated from some distance (several dozen meters, maybe?) away, but HEAT rounds need to be detonated relatively close to the target, since the jet of metal loses coherence much more rapidly.

That's about right. Close enough anyhow for any non-technical discussion.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ukraine SBU discusses the Kerch Bridge truck bombing, including pics of how they disguised the explosives as rolls of polyethylene.

Article's in Ukrainian so you'll need to run it through a translator:

https://nv.ua/ukr/ukraine/events/kr...i-50347244.html

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/DefensieMin/status/1693237432223674634

:toot:

e:

oh my that's two full squadrons.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1693238151249096822

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 20, 2023

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I really hope the F16 can keep its flawless record

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

holy poo poo that's 20% of the dutch fleet

e: nvm these were mothballed anyway since they're done with the 35 acquisitions

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 20, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Door Frame posted:

It doesnt have one lol

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dandywalken posted:

It doesnt have one lol

I know they've been shot down, but aren't they something obnoxious like 70-0 in air to air combat?

They aren't "peerless air superiority fighters" or whatever propaganda wank, but they're solid weapons platforms that have enjoyed a very successful service life

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Door Frame posted:

I know they've been shot down, but aren't they something obnoxious like 70-0 in air to air combat?

They aren't "peerless air superiority fighters" or whatever propaganda wank, but they're solid weapons platforms that have enjoyed a very successful service life

Kind of doesn’t matter because it lets Ukraine massively up its sortie rate and allow much better use of western air launched munitions. Instead of hobbling together a single aircraft that can launch a modern ASM now they will have two squadrons worth.

And you know, maybe eventually air launched AIM-120s.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Isn't the problem that both sides of the line are absolutely bristling with anti-air platforms and anybody attempting to assert air superiority ends up having a real bad day?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, without standoff weapons I imagine they will be very vulnerable

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

F-16s and MiG-29s seem to keep ending up on the same side, ala 1990s Germany. Funny how that works out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, without standoff weapons I imagine they will be very vulnerable

If only the F16 could equip the HARM and the Storm Shadow and employ the entire envelope of mission profiles.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Employ em, absolutely. But getting them as part of a hypothetical package is another thing.

And can the Dutch MLU's use the full range of ordnance?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There are still numerous hoops and wickets to figure out before any could 1: be delivered and 2: be sustained, 3: by whom.

I still see it as a 2024+ thing, maybe some kind of program with fruits (or lack thereof) that extend to the distant future.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't know enough to answer that, but wasn't part of the point of the Mid Life Upgrade program to provide compatibility with the latest weapon systems?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I don't know enough to answer that, but wasn't part of the point of the Mid Life Upgrade program to provide compatibility with the latest weapon systems?

It's got to be better than whatever magical kludge they used to get a stormshadow to talk to a Soviet computer from the early 80's

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

If only the F16 could equip the HARM and the Storm Shadow and employ the entire envelope of mission profiles.

I thought SEAD missions were insanely complex, and that's with EW support?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

A.o.D. posted:

I know. Such a pity...

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

It's got to be better than whatever magical kludge they used to get a stormshadow to talk to a Soviet computer from the early 80's

It’s impressive they could even do this at all, but you’re right: it won’t beat a system purposefully designed to interact with whatever missile is hanging off the wing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Isn't the problem that both sides of the line are absolutely bristling with anti-air platforms and anybody attempting to assert air superiority ends up having a real bad day?

We don’t know what sacrifices had to be made to get an 80s soviet computer to talk to a HARM but it’s been speculated that it’s pretty cumbersome. Having a system that can designate targets of opportunity quickly and accurately while in flight is likely going to be a huge improvement.

We also don’t know what Ukraines sortie rate is with aircraft that can launch the AGM-88 but it’s probably not very high and the Russians probably keep an eye on them. That is they likely have good confidence of when they can operate their SAM systems permissively.

But if there can be a HARM equipped F-16 on patrol 24/7 that probably has a big impact on what Russia is doing. Like, maybe you bait forward another aircraft with a long range A2A weapon that can take pot shots at helos flying low and just edge along the SAM envelope daring them to try something. Right now, if Russia can be fairly confident there is no HARM equipped aircraft on station close enough to react maybe they take that shot, but if they have to assume there is someone standing by to react quickly then they probably don’t. Which maybe means that Russia has to operate their helicopters more conservatively.

I’m speculating but I think having 2 squadrons of western aircraft that can operate most western weapons natively is a pretty big deal.

Edit: I also want to point out that this capability commitment seems to be miraculously appearing after we’ve heard ‘never going to happen’ repeatedly once Ukraine is coming close to having the ability to use it (training completion for air crew and maintainers) I don’t think that’s a coincidence at all.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 20, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Fly two F-16 in with the first one a clapped out drone and the second one with SAM killing ordnance.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

The Door Frame posted:

You are thinking F-15, and that requires a fair bit of "that doesn't count, not that either".

F-15 Eagles are (allegedly) 104 to zero to being shot down in air to air combat (against mostly Middle Eastern 60's vintage MiGs), but they blow up just fine against a modern surface to air missile setup.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1693287417090879841

quote:

The Russians just let a UA drone travel over 700km over Russian territory before without getting hit. How the hell do they think they can take on NATO air power? Their air bases would be taken out by western cruise missiles in a matter of hours.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1693323492819607870

Ukraine apparently blew up a Tu-22 pretty deep in Russian territory with a drone, lmao. Is it even plausible that these are coming from inside Ukraine, rather than from inside Russia?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1693323492819607870

Ukraine apparently blew up a Tu-22 pretty deep in Russian territory with a drone, lmao. Is it even plausible that these are coming from inside Ukraine, rather than from inside Russia?

in this case they're saying it's a quadcopter, so definitely not launched in Ukraine. if it's got gps you can give one of those an autonomous route but they still only go a few km, hovering is incredibly inefficient.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Not unless this is some kind of translation error where someone uses "quadcopter" as an interchangeable term with "drone."

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PurpleXVI posted:

The Ukrjet UJ-22 drone would have the range and if the planes stay in their spots you might try your luck and program it to hit a coordinate from satellite photos.

For a more realtime targeting, the simplest method might be to equip it with a Russian cellphone and program it to VPN home when it is near the target.

The Russian air defence net probably isn't dense enough to prevent a small drone to slip through.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

When do tanks get those little machines gun drones like in command and conquer: generals

It was cute when they would swoop in and make repairs :3:

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

cr0y posted:

When do tanks get those little machines gun drones like in command and conquer: generals

It was cute when they would swoop in and make repairs :3:

iirc the Panther KF51 is being developed with capability to launch drones/loitering munitions, as was the Abrams-X. Which isn't exactly the same as MG drones, but if you build one with the same form factor and control hardware they could launch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Door Frame posted: