Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of Apple’s capability to know that the location that it knows I left my iPad is the exact same location as it already knows I parked my car and draw the conclusion that the iPad is in the car and not in fact left behind.

After all it doesn’t notify me that I’ve left it behind when I leave my house each day.

It’s telling you to not leave your $1000+ device in your car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s telling you to not leave your $1000+ device in your car.

when you’re on a several thousand kilometre road trip, sometimes you wanna stop for lunch, without lugging your iPad and AirPods Max around. I keep them out of sight; if someone stole my car I’d have far more to worry about.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You Are Transporting It Wrong.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

withak posted:

You Are Transporting It Wrong.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I constantly get notifications about how oops you left your AirPods behind!!!! which would make me panic until I check my pockets and wow they're right there. Makes the notifications functionally useless to me if I can't trust them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

when you’re on a several thousand kilometre road trip, sometimes you wanna stop for lunch, without lugging your iPad and AirPods Max around. I keep them out of sight; if someone stole my car I’d have far more to worry about.

I bought the laptop lockbox from Tuffy, and wound a 3/8 inch steel cable through some holes in the chassis of my car to lock it in. Toss my ipad and random small electronics in there when on long road trips because I tend to leave the car at trailheads all day and I usually don't have a hotel to put stuff in. I got no illusions it's perfectly secure but it'll probably stop a smash and grab (unless they brought a giant pair of cutters I guess).

It's a little peace of mind at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

That’s cool or whatever but the millions of other people that leave their poo poo in their car need to be reminded.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It happens for sure. I used to support a student laptop program at a college. Every year a few students would have their laptops stolen out of their cars.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

I bought the laptop lockbox from Tuffy, and wound a 3/8 inch steel cable through some holes in the chassis of my car to lock it in. Toss my ipad and random small electronics in there when on long road trips because I tend to leave the car at trailheads all day and I usually don't have a hotel to put stuff in. I got no illusions it's perfectly secure but it'll probably stop a smash and grab (unless they brought a giant pair of cutters I guess).

It's a little peace of mind at least.

so how many times have you had your entire car stolen instead

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My company has an official written policy saying to never under any circumstances leave your laptop in the car.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

withak posted:

My company has an official written policy saying to never under any circumstances leave your laptop in the car.

Most large companies say you can but it needs to be in the trunk. If the nature of the work demands a higher security level and risk intolerance to the car itself being stolen, then the company will need a different policy like yours.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s usually more “cost of replacement and insurance rates” than “security implications”, because the latter can mostly be resolved through standard encryption systems, whereas the former can’t. But the former really only adds burden to employees who are already travelling to do their jobs, so gently caress ‘em.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

With the silicone case on my 13 mini I’m always reminded very strongly of the 5c, which I agree looked great. I think if it was cheaper when it came out it wouldn’t have been so poo poo on by people. It didn’t help that the 5s released alongside it is objectively, empirically and scientifically the single best looking object Apple has ever designed.
I probably would have gotten the 5S had the decision been my own, but I accidentally obliterated my GalaxyS3 and Verizon had some promo of sorts where I could get a $0 5C if I reset the clock on my 2 year contract (which was up in like 2 months?). I also worked part time retail in the bad old days so it was a devils bargain I had to accept because lol if I could afford a hot sandwich much less another android.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Arivia posted:

so how many times have you had your entire car stolen instead

69 times

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of Apple’s capability to know that the location that it knows I left my iPad is the exact same location as it already knows I parked my car and draw the conclusion that the iPad is in the car and not in fact left behind.

After all it doesn’t notify me that I’ve left it behind when I leave my house each day.

Probably you’ve set the Find My app up to not notify about things left at home?

Apple know where we live. They don’t know where I’ve parked my car, normally. Maybe if I’ve navigated there using Apple Maps but who the hell uses that app? And I drive without satnav ~70% of the time anyway.

Unless Apple are, in fact, informed of where I park my car, the phone would need to have telepathy or magical properties in order to tell a “left behind” situation from a normal scenario.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Apple know where we live. They don’t know where I’ve parked my car, normally. Maybe if I’ve navigated there using Apple Maps but who the hell uses that app? And I drive without satnav ~70% of the time anyway.

Unless Apple are, in fact, informed of where I park my car, the phone would need to have telepathy or magical properties in order to tell a “left behind” situation from a normal scenario.

Apple knows where you parked your car if you connect to it via Bluetooth. It’s in your map settings.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

withak posted:

I need a case to smooth out the camera bump so it can lay flat, and to keep the phone from skidding around like an air hockey puck when I set it down.

Best of both worlds.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those would fall off. I just get the thinnest clear case I can find, walla.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Apple Maps does, in fact; record where you parked your car regardless of whether you used it to navigate (although I do actually use it to navigate, it’s a good app).

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Lord Bude posted:

Apple Maps does, in fact; record where you parked your car regardless of whether you used it to navigate (although I do actually use it to navigate, it’s a good app).

Apple Maps has improved much since its early days. I still prefer the UI of Gmaps and Waze, but Amaps is pretty. It does not have a "lock north up" functionality while in a non-overview mode which is a dealbreaker to make it my daily driver GPS app unfortunately. But I am in the minority and most prefer heading-up instead of north-up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Imagine preferring the UI of google maps over Apple Maps 🤮🤮🤮

Waze UI sucks but I can deal with it due to the police reports. Yes I know Apple Maps does these as well, but they aren’t nearly as accurate yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had incredibly bad luck with google maps voice turn my turn.

It felt like it never gave enough warning for poo poo.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Lord Bude posted:

So if I didn’t use navigation, how does it even know I’ve parked my car and am now walking?r

How does it know if it was my own car or if I took a cab?

This matters if the phone is supposed to automatically determine whether I left my iPad behind by mistake or intentionally. Neither of those problems are easy to solve in a user-friendly way. It doesn’t become easier when a user is able to control the location access for Apple Maps in four different levels.

BTW, not to rail on Apple Maps but the thing that makes me still use Google Maps is that Apple Maps works like poo poo in my city/country. I’m sure they have good navigation in the US but here it can’t even find many addresses. I wish it worked better for me because Google Maps has had some regression in the last year where it’s been drawing about 200MB of data in ten minutes of navigation.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So if I didn’t use navigation, how does it even know I’ve parked my car and am now walking?r

Bluetooth.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I have a question about work phones.

My job wants to give people a phone for work (so they later can convince us to read emails 24/7 is my suspicion). There are two alternatives:

1) A phone for work stuff only
2) A phone we can use freely for personal and work stuff in accordance with some guidelines, i.e. some apps are not allowed

I don't know what kind of or if any mobile device management (MDM) will be installed on the personal+work phones. I'm not sure if I should even ask them about MDM but I'm not too fond of the concept of having a phone that my job can have a look at should they want to. At the same time, having to deal with two phones doesn't seem ideal either.

Hopefully, if I choose alternative 2, I can have my personal number and a work number at the same time. How does Dual Sim for on iPhones? Is it easy to set boundaries between work and my actual life? For instance, can I set the phone up so that the work number (and work notifications) only work between 9 and five?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The most annoying thing about Maps is when you try to zoom in but accidentally turn the map so that it’s no longer north aligned. Who the gently caress wants this and it would be nice if I can disable it or turn down the sensitivity so I stop accidentally doing it. If this was a feature that purely exists in Maps itself it wouldn’t be too bad but it looks like any app that uses Maps backend has it too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Xabi posted:

My job wants to give people a phone for work (so they later can convince us to read emails 24/7 is my suspicion). There are two alternatives:

2) A phone we can use freely for personal and work stuff in accordance with some guidelines, i.e. some apps are not allowed

I don't know what kind of or if any mobile device management (MDM) will be installed on the personal+work phones. I'm not sure if I should even ask them about MDM but I'm not too fond of the concept of having a phone that my job can have a look at should they want to. At the same time, having to deal with two phones doesn't seem ideal either.

Hopefully, if I choose alternative 2, I can have my personal number and a work number at the same time. How does Dual Sim for on iPhones? Is it easy to set boundaries between work and my actual life? For instance, can I set the phone up so that the work number (and work notifications) only work between 9 and five?

Dual sim is a simple on/off toggle. No option to schedule enable/disable AFAIK. You can select which sim to use for sms and phone but FaceTime and iMessage only has a single "pool" to work from. Most applications relying on SIM for identification(like whatsapp) will ignore the second one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So if I didn’t use navigation, how does it even know I’ve parked my car and am now walking?

This matters if the phone is supposed to automatically determine whether I left my iPad behind by mistake or intentionally. Neither of those problems are easy to solve in a user-friendly way. It doesn’t become easier when a user is able to control the location access for Apple Maps in four different levels.

It’s based on whether you had your phone connected to the vehicle, by Bluetooth or a cable; something that virtually everyone who owns a modern car does so that they can take calls or listen to music.

People don’t normally connect their phone to cabs or Ubers.

It seems very straightforward to me.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s based on whether you had your phone connected to the vehicle, by Bluetooth or a cable; something that virtually everyone who owns a modern car does so that they can take calls or listen to music.

People don’t normally connect their phone to cabs or Ubers.

It seems very straightforward to me.

Addendum, it only works transparently if your car bluetooth advertises itself on a HFP profile, if it only uses handset or A2dp(stereo audio), you will have to go on your phone to identify it as a car to make the car mode work. If you use CarPlay it will always enable car mode.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Yeah, you can toggle and dual SIM works great.

Here’s the thing: unless your IT support is incredibly stupid, if they’re gonna give you a work number and have your work info on a mobile device, they’re gonna want whatever MDM installed.

Even in best of intentions, keep that poo poo away from your personal phone.

I have a work phone, I made a separate Apple ID a for it, and I use it for work and for navigation when I’m driving (my car is too old for CarPlay). Like, I do have my personal email signed in, but if my work decided to nuke my work phone tomorrow , it won’t affect my personal at all.

Dual SIM is very cool, but always keep work stuff on a separate phone, and if they say buying you a phone is too expensive, then that means they don’t think it’s a high enough value for you to have a work number anyway.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I know people have different use cases but I find it insane when folks use their work phone as their personal phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Xabi posted:

Personally, I'd go with option 1 but also a lot of employers are loving cheap.

But BYOD are much more common these days. If they're a Microsoft shop, they should absolutely look at app protection policies. It lets them manage the app behavior without actually managing your entire device. Like, they can require a PIN or biometrics for Outlook to open, or prevent you copy/pasting from Outlook to a non-managed app. There's no config profiles installed on the phone.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I know people have different use cases but I find it insane when folks use their work phone as their personal phone.

My workplace more-or-less pays for our phones (they don't just buy it for you outright, but the expense allowances are such that it adds up to the same thing) but they don't install any management onto it. You have to use it for 2FA, and you can choose to use it for work email and teams if you wish. Seems pretty fair to me overall.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

For our BYOD, you need to switch to a six-digit PIN on both the phone and watch which is kind of annoying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

smackfu posted:

For our BYOD, you need to switch to a six-digit PIN on both the phone and watch which is kind of annoying.

That's been the iOS default for a while anyway.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The advice should always be "Don't mix personal and work phone data" and admittedly I don't follow it. I work for a large corp and we can get new devices every 2 years, but mine is Galaxy something (I went that route so I could experience iOS and android OSes) and I gave it to my son as a play phone 2 years ago and have no idea where it is.

On my personal iPhone I use work Microsoft apps and slack /shrug

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The solution to having a work phone is to turn it off and put it in a drawer when you're off-duty.

And never, ever, ever mix work and personal phones.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The Lord Bude posted:

The left behind notifications are extremely annoying when you’re on vacation. At a minimum; it should recognise that they’re in the same drat place I parked the car and not notify me when I park somewhere and grab some lunch on the road. I can understand when I’ve left them in my hotel room.

What if I wanted to be reminded that I left my iPad in my car? Like if I'm rushing to the airport and park my car but leave one of my bags behind?

There isn't a good way for Apple to read your mind and know that you intend to leave your stuff anywhere. So they err on the side of notification anywhere that you haven't specificly excluded. If you don't want constant random notifications just turn them off. Find My will still be there for when you really do forget something and need to figure out where it is.

Anyway my biggest issue with Find My is that it seems to forget my exclusions and where things actually are. Example: I have an air tag in my luggage. It's in my closet and hasn't left the closet in months. I have an exclusion for my home. But I'll randomly get notified that I left my luggage behind somewhere not at home. Like I'll be at the grocery store and be told my luggage was left behind there.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Endless Mike posted:

The solution to having a work phone is to turn it off and put it in a drawer when you're off-duty.

And never, ever, ever mix work and personal phones.

Yeah, I can understand carrying 2 phones can be annoying but it's such a nice quality of life improvement to just stick your work phone in your backpack or whatever when you're done for the day and forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hate it when I have two numbers saved for people and then when I call or text one of them they are like "Why are you calling my work/personal phone???"