Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had to look it up, because as a non-native English speaker, I haven't heard it.

OK, someone tell me that's the problem here? I interpret his as Madison supposedly not being able to get anything out of this, specifically from the dickwad that caused her the most grief.

Triikan posted:

I think you should reread Merchant of Venice before you continue using this phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had to look it up, because as a non-native English speaker, I haven't heard it.

OK, someone tell me that's the problem here? I interpret his as Madison supposedly not being able to get anything out of this, specifically from the dickwad that caused her the most grief.

Yes. The statement read, at least to me, as "Madison is not going to get personal payment/satisfaction out of this." Which plays into a ton of lovely narratives about women only making sexual harassment allegations for pay, instead of women being severely hurt and wanting it not to happen to others again.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

OK, someone tell me that's the problem here?

In addition to the implication of Madison only relating what happened to her out of selfishness, the phrase itself is from The Merchant of Venice, which is a pretty aggressively antisemitic work. (This is also where "shylock" as a pejorative for Jews comes from; it's the name of the villain, who is a Jew, who had required another character to put up a "pound of flesh" as collateral for a loan.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Madison is probably avoiding naming names because she doesn't need to open herself up to that legal risk of being sued my LMG or the abusers.

Everyone at LMG who is in any kind of leadership role knows who she's talking about and who did what. If they wanted to deal with it before they could have. If they want to deal with it now they still can. However, LMG is not the target of her story.

She is making it known to everyone outside LMG what kind of company LMG is behind the scenes. She is removing the prestige that the LMG brand has so that others like her aren't suckered into chasing their dream job, and being forced to endure the treatment she did from LMG staff. For people, especially young people, who see the LMG channels and think it's a cool, hip, and fun place to work, and would jump at the chance work there, she is giving them a reality check. This will have long term hiring implications for LMG as anybody who isn't a sleaze bag will probably not want to apply to work there, women especially. This will lead to an increasingly toxic culture as the only people being hired will be terminally online incels like Comatoast. Their image will continue to deteriorate and as sponsors and supporters bail, they will run out of funds, dwindle, and eventually dissolve.

Madison telling her story is incredibly selfless. She has and continues to be the target of harassment for a job she quit long ago, but she keeps stirring the pot because she wants to protect others from the same fate.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 20, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tracecomplete posted:

In addition to the implication of Madison only relating what happened to her out of selfishness, the phrase itself is from The Merchant of Venice, which is a pretty aggressively antisemitic work. (This is also where "shylock" as a pejorative for Jews comes from.)

lol are people seriously trying to cancel loving shakespeare now. good luck removing him and his contributions from the english language.

e: like the idea of telling someone not to use a word or phrase from Shakespeare in English because you think the original work is "problematic" is hilarious.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 20, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arivia posted:

lol are people seriously trying to cancel loving shakespeare now. good luck removing him and his contributions from the english language.

e: like the idea of telling someone not to use a word or phrase from Shakespeare in English because you think the original work is "problematic" is hilarious.

Yeah I don't understand half the poo poo zoomers say either and they aren't being cancelled.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"Pound of Flesh" would make an excellent renaissance fair menu item

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

"Pound of Flesh" would make an excellent renaissance fair menu item

Don't care what it's from, long as there's a pound of it

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

A pound of flesh is a particularly onerous or unreasonable payment someone demands they are due. The implication here being not that Madison is due recompense for the harassment she was subject to, but that she is demanding recompense that is unjustly punitive by way of making public allegations. If Madison does get something out of this, then good for her, she deserves it; but that isn't what motivated her to share her story, and anything she may or may not get out of this should not be characterized as a pound of flesh.

Idk if people are tying to cancel Shakespeare, but the phrase has a very specific connotation that doesn't apply in this situation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Are some people trying to correlate the term “pound of flesh” with antisemitism? :psyduck:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arivia posted:

To be clear I don't think it actually is generally used in an antisemitic fashion, I'm explaining one of the reasons it sets some people off.

(The Merchant of Venice is absolutely not kind to Jews though, it's hosed up)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Most people who use the term “Pound of flesh” have no idea what “The Merchant of Venice” is, nor that the phrase comes from that play.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FlapYoJacks posted:

Most people who use the term “Pound of flesh” have no idea what “The Merchant of Venice” is, nor that the phrase comes from that play.
Yeah, idioms get misused pretty regularly, because not everyone is a literary genius.

This thread could stand some less going for necklines. It has gotten a real weird vibe. I blame the cancelled WAN show, otherwise there'd be new material to focus on.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Slylock Fox is antisemitic??!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I demand my pound of flesh (to make breakfast with)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Sorry sorry I have an English literature degree and sometimes it creates Problems.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, idioms get misused pretty regularly, because not everyone is a literary genius.

This thread could stand some less going for necklines. It has gotten a real weird vibe. I blame the cancelled WAN show, otherwise there'd be new material to focus on.

Yeah, jumping at the neck immediately can be lovely sometimes, especially for non-native english speakers who, for the most part, learned english through tv and films from years ago. So some of the idioms I'm familiar with are from an other era.

It's hard to stay current on what is a slur in that context, although I understand the idea of "what is even a slur anymore" is also often used by chuds to say horrible things so I understand some people are fed up and just want to call out dogwhistles and whatnot right away. But sometimes it would be cool to just ask what the intentions are.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
yeah that went 0-100 real fast

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Even without watching this video, I can already feel the dudebro "edgy" misogyny seeping through the screen. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was eventually revealed that he was one of the main people doing the bullying and harassing in Madison's allegations.

He gives me big "haha so this is a thing an rear end in a top hat would say, I'm saying it to you, but we all know I'm not an rear end in a top hat so it doesn't count right? haha isn't the workplace so fun and relaxed now we can be chill about these things" vibes

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The weirdest part about all this is that Linus himself has been kind of slowly destroying the image of LMG being a cool and fun place to work over the last few years. A lot of the videos in the last year or two that have featured him in any kind of behind-the-scenes sort of environment (where he's not actively playing to the camera or an audience, or doing silly tech stuff) made him look like he'd be an absolute nightmare to work for. I kept being reminded of aspects of some of the really crappy bosses I've had (and many of those aspects were ones Madison also pointed out). And that's not even considering things like his clear anti-union stance.

The GN stuff and Madison's allegations helped rip the mask off completely, but I think the facade of "Linus is a goofy but fun boss to work for, and LMG is one big happy family" had already started falling apart quite a while ago.

Vando posted:

He gives me big "haha so this is a thing an rear end in a top hat would say, I'm saying it to you, but we all know I'm not an rear end in a top hat so it doesn't count right? haha isn't the workplace so fun and relaxed now we can be chill about these things" vibes

Definitely, along with a dash of "I was just kidding, god you're so sensitive" added in.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 20, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

... is one big happy family" had already started falling apart quite a while ago.

"Danger, Will Robinson!!!!"

Have a plan to run the gently caress away if any company tries that line. :yikes:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vando posted:

"Hey we're all friends here, you wouldn't mind spending your next few weekends running wiring and heat pumps for an idea of mine, would you? Thus wouldn't be work-work, so it would be unpaid, but I'll totally owe you a solid later!"

Two days later: "Hey, listen, I know you asked for Monday off for an important doctor's important, but you know we're reaaaaally pressed for time on this review that we can't be bothered to do properly. Can't you just reschedule it to a weekend or something?"

I think we've all had bosses like that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
eyyy, I got yer pound of flesh right here OH!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

"Danger, Will Robinson!!!!"

Have a plan to run the gently caress away if any company tries that line. :yikes:

A helpful hint: if you ever have a boss or manager who treats

-taking time off
-making a mistake
-requesting justifiable equipment necessary for your job
-requesting an accommodation due to a diagnosed and documented medical issue
-or just generally asking for help

like it's a personal affront to them, then you should be making plans to get away from working for them as soon as you possibly can.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 20, 2023

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Has Ian released his manifesto yet?

I don't plan on watching it but I really want to know if he can stretch "Linus did nothing wrong" into 3 hours.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He has not. I think what he was writing was a long treatise in defense of automated testing before it all went off the rails

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Who's Ian? That Elmo stan on Twitter?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some reviewer guy I think

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

guy who has struggled to stay relevant since anand sold anandtech and everyone stopped caring about written tech articles

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think Ian's getting by with consultancy work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Are some people trying to correlate the term “pound of flesh” with antisemitism? :psyduck:

I think the main problem is that this is a bad definition:

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wiktionary has:

quote:

(idiomatic) Something which is owed and which will be hurtful or difficult to provide; a debt owed to someone who is merciless and demanding. quotations

e.g. you’d owe a mob protection racket their “pound of flesh” and it’ll go like the “gently caress you, pay me” montage

That first definition is kinda brutal a non native English speaker. Just imagine if you looked up “thirty pieces of silver” and found the definition “a bounty received for turning in your boss, a notorious criminal” or something.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
James already gave me creepy enough vibes before all this. Add in him making the joke at the HR meeting and him joking about wanting to beat his wife in his stand enough and it's really not a good look. I doubt we'll get any visibility into the but I could absolutely see him being the one to make lovely sexual comments

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Inept posted:

guy who has struggled to stay relevant since anand sold anandtech and everyone stopped caring about written tech articles
Oh, that Cutress guy.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

TheGreySpectre posted:

James already gave me creepy enough vibes before all this. Add in him making the joke at the HR meeting and him joking about wanting to beat his wife in his stand enough and it's really not a good look. I doubt we'll get any visibility into the but I could absolutely see him being the one to make lovely sexual comments

Add being a Jordan Peterson fan

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arivia posted:

This isn’t “cancelling” this is literary criticism. Understanding the anti-Semitic aspects of Merchant of Venice is a core part of understanding the play and its appeal in its time when read today. This is stuff I was taught in school 20 years ago. Can we please talk like adults and not a 15 year old on 4chan.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Youtube tech idiots fandom thread: Shakespeare is cancelled

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

He'd probably have to fire most of the staff. Or at least most of the staff that have been on video.

Since the skeletons are coming out of the closet, in one of their other videos they build a lovely water cooled mattress which is sponsored by the company Eight Sleep. Someone on staff that was arranging the set decided that instead of arranging some of the boxes to say EIGHT and SLEEP, they instead set them up to have EIGHT EIGHT (88), which is a big time white supremacist dog whistle.

touch grass for your own mental health

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

njsykora posted:

This isn’t “cancelling” this is literary criticism. Understanding the anti-Semitic aspects of Merchant of Venice is a core part of understanding the play and its appeal in its time when read today. This is stuff I was taught in school 20 years ago. Can we please talk like adults and not a 15 year old on 4chan.

The vast majority of people who use that phrase don’t even know it’s from Shakespeare. Settle down Beavis.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I forget whose video it was, but someone pointed out that this whole "we're going to stop making videos for a week" thing they're doing is largely performative anyways, because a week isn't anywhere near long enough for them to identify all their problems, come up with fixes for them, and change their processes to ensure that the problems don't reoccur. I don't expect them to take any serious steps to actually resolve the company's issues beyond what they think will keep their sponsors and subscribers happy. The rot is pretty widespread at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ijyt posted:

touch grass for your own mental health

lol