Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

M_Sinistrari posted:

This had me thinking. We've all come across movies where the book it was based on was better, but what about the inverse where the book's so awful you're amazed they pulled out a decent/good film out of it?

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is one of the worst books I've ever had the misfortune to read, but they made an OK movie out of it.

Beyond that I don't tend to read awful books. First Blood was an OK book and David Morrell isn't precious about it, but the movie was better. The Warriors and Full Metal Jacket also transcend the source material.

I wish they'd release the real full cut of The Warriors. Walter Hill's "director's cut" is just the theatrical cut with the opening VO restored and some lovely cartoony transitions added. It doesn't have the additional character building scenes at the start, and the loss of the scene between Cleon and his girlfriend is particularly sharp as it adds a lot of weight to his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://movieweb.com/thirteen-ghosts-set-to-be-revived-as-new-13-part-spook-filled-series/

They're turning Th13rteen Ghosts into a 13-part series, but more importantly they're bringing back GHOST-O-VISION from the 1959 original where you hold your phone up and additional ghosts are displayed!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
While we're on the subject of horror books in the horror thread, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now and very much enjoying it. Think I might read Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula next. Other than more King, what are some horror book suggestions the thread has? Ideally more on the side of spooky and/or fun than disturbing psychological horror kinda stuff.

Shrecknet posted:

https://movieweb.com/thirteen-ghosts-set-to-be-revived-as-new-13-part-spook-filled-series/

They're turning Th13rteen Ghosts into a 13-part series, but more importantly they're bringing back GHOST-O-VISION from the 1959 original where you hold your phone up and additional ghosts are displayed!

Second screen gimmick done right. Castle would be proud.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

While we're on the subject of horror books in the horror thread, I'm reading Salem's Lot right now and very much enjoying it. Think I might read Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula next. Other than more King, what are some horror book suggestions the thread has? Ideally more on the side of spooky and/or fun than disturbing psychological horror kinda stuff.

Second screen gimmick done right. Castle would be proud.

It's more of a coffee table book but horror author Grady Hendrix proved his horror nerd bona fides with this book, which I found fascinating:

It's just a retrospective of those awesome yellowed dime-store horror novels and a celebration of what we left behind when everything became a minimalist solid-color cover and/or digital

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

This had me thinking. We've all come across movies where the book it was based on was better, but what about the inverse where the book's so awful you're amazed they pulled out a decent/good film out of it?

I just finished reading The Fury and Good God..that book dragged like you wouldn't believe. The movie's pretty much the last quarter of the book.

you may think Tobe Hooper’s Lifeforce is dumb and horny, but its source novel The Space Vampires by Colin Wilson is both a lot dumber and way hornier. Not in a good way.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

God has heard my prayers and has decided that William Castle bullshit may thrive and flourish once again. We are blessed this fine day.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shrecknet posted:

Absolute heroes, I don't even care if it ends up bad

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

I just finished reading The Fury and Good God..that book dragged like you wouldn't believe. The movie's pretty much the last quarter of the book.

Yeah The Fury the film is a banger IMO, I really like it. Book was pretty popular when I was a kid, I think I tried to start it a few times at the library but never could get into it.

I actually think that Jaws and The Godfather are okay for what they are: pulpy trashy paperback novels. No doubt both films are all time classics and transform the source material into something much much better through really great filmmaking. Incredible scores, beautifully shot. Every scene in The Godfather is like a painting.

The Jack Woltz bedroom horse's head scene is a great horror scene too, every bit is perfection, from the slow zoom in to the house, the creepy twist on the main musical theme building to a nighmarish crescendo, and the guy's screaming has to be way up there among the best movie screams I've ever heard.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay after looking it up, The Fury was published in 1976 and the film came out in 1978.

I am pretty sure Stephen King ripped off the themes and story from The Fury for Firestarter which was published in 1980. But it's cool IMO because Firestarter rocks and the story has its own unique elements as well.

I never mind too much when something gets ripped off as long as the thief produces something really good, especially if it's better than the original. I've seen the original Hong Kong gangster flicks that Reservoir Dogs and The Departed came from and the ripoffs are better.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

if you want King-on-all-coke level fun spoopy times, basically everything Robert McCammon wrote in the 80s was golden. Truly he was the "we have ice cream at home" of horror authors.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

What's some good creepy horror or gritty thriller movies that mostly take place in abandoned buildings (not a single regular old haunted house), preferably with lots of graffiti and/or Silent Hill type grime. I'm thinking Candyman, Escape from NY, Deadbeat at Dawn, Session 9 ish stuff. Bonus if the building(s) are in the middle of nowhere instead of a big city, like the end of True Detective S1.
R-Point might sort of fit the bill? A bunch of soldiers during the Vietnam war end up holed up in an abandoned French plantation while investigating radio signals sent by a platoon that was presumed long dead. The location writes cheques the rest of the film can't quite cash, but it's still a fun film.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

:hellyeah: so stoked for this

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Give us back the vibrating chairs for the tingler

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Shrecknet posted:

This kicks rear end. We need more dumb gimmicky poo poo and it's great that it's happening to a movie that is already dumb and gimmicky and a guilty pleasure. William Castle's ghost would be celebrating.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shrecknet posted:

Any other show, it'd be annoying, but a Castle adaptation having a weird gimmick like that is completely in the spirit of the original, so I'm totally down.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I'm rewatching The Faculty since you guys were talking about it a few pages back. I forgot just how many big names were in this, freaking John Stewart before he was John Stewart

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, insane cast, and a movie that would be super duper fun to this day if not for the absolutely bizarre lesbian-but-not-really subplot with one of the characters and the conformity-kicks-rear end-actually deal. Don't get me wrong, still very fun. Just less fun than it should be.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

feedmyleg posted:

There's a horror thread in The Book Barn, too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, insane cast, and a movie that would be super duper fun to this day if not for the absolutely bizarre lesbian-but-not-really subplot with one of the characters and the conformity-kicks-rear end-actually deal. Don't get me wrong, still very fun. Just less fun than it should be.

Yeah I've watched a lot of 80s and 90s stuff that I loved growing up and hoo boy LGBTQ+ is not handled well in a lot of it. The biggest one to me was Malcolm in the Middle which quite literally had a gay joke in every single episode.

Edit - Man I don't think I ever realized how this was basically the Breakfast Club

Medullah fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 20, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

They have those at the expensive Cineplexes. I remember we drove down to the big iMax one for Infinity War and they had seats that would shake and move around and stuff

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Having a movie where clea duvall comes out as straight is hilarious. She's like "ah finally I can quit being goth gay girl that sucked"

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Medullah posted:

Yeah I've watched a lot of 80s and 90s stuff that I loved growing up and hoo boy LGBTQ+ is not handled well in a lot of it. The biggest one to me was Malcolm in the Middle which quite literally had a gay joke in every single episode.

Edit - Man I don't think I ever realized how this was basically the Breakfast Club

As a Big Ol' Queer™ I respect movies of the time more if they have the guts to have characters just randomly drop slurs without dancing around it. It's often hilarious and especially with horror sometimes you can find fun stuff to reclaim. The ending to Wild At Heart had me hollering with how out-of-nowhere it is.

Oh, Stokely, they did you so dirty. "Coming out as straight" really is it. Too funny.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
About the only movie I feel bad for dropping is the Coppola Dracula because I just can't hack Keanu's accent

But maybe... Maybe I can "hack" his accent! I watch with subs on all the time anyways, so maybe if I watch it in French with the English subs, I can finally finish the fuckin movie!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just pretend he’s a stupid man and his accent is that of a stupid man

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thinking about how the biggest jump scare of the year for so many people is Florence Pugh’s boobs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CelticPredator posted:

Just pretend he’s a stupid man and his accent is that of a stupid man

https://youtu.be/rxkP6-pTOdM

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

CelticPredator posted:

Also the only time I quit movies is bc I go do something else because my adhd sucks and sometimes I often don’t finish it not because it was good or bad but because…? I dunno!

It took me like a decade to finish dawn of the dead because of this. Stopped watching when I was a young teen and then finally finished it like 2 years ago lmao

I'd say this is why it took me three tries to watch all of One Cut of the Dead, not because the first third was so bad but because I tend to watch most movies in chunks when I have time, and there wasn't really anything compelling enough about the first 30 minutes that I felt an urgency to see what happens next. So I keep putting it off intending to come back to it but then months pass and I forget everything that happened.

Like I still need to finish Psycho Goreman from when I started it a year ago, not because I don't want to but because I get distracted easily and forget that I'm watching it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Thinking about how the biggest jump scare of the year for so many people is Florence Pugh’s boobs

https://twitter.com/fiImgal/status/1693281039827849236?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is a curse :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Btw yeah this is what made me say that lol

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Icelandic Traditional Wrestling association is willing to loan me a proper glíma uniform for my monster wrestling film with the condition that they can send a representative on set to make sure the wrestling is accurate and traditional.

They first went through the script to make sure it wasn't against any of their values.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

If Sherlock Holmes with horror's your thing, The Cthulhu Casebooks by James Lovegrove might be up your alley. I also recommend Ivy Tholen's Tastes Like Candy, Maul Rats and Permanent Damage. They lean on the spooky with well developed characters. Cameron Roubique's Year of Blood and Kill River series are both pretty good throwback to the 80s style horror. Paul Catalanotto's The Children Under the House started as an analog horror on his channel, but got a quite good book adaptation. Greg Kihn (yep, the musician) came out with Horror Show which really brings back the low budget horror film love in the wilder days of Hollywood. Duncan Ralston's Ghostland series was pretty good centered around a theme park of ghosts. If you're more into silly spooky, there's D.M. Guay's 24/7 Demon Mart series and Craig McLay's Demonic Indemnity series.

If Weird Wild West's your thing, most of the stuff from David J West or Edward M Erdelec's pretty good. Extreme Horror's very much a mixed bag between decent and 'oh God...I spent $3 on this and feel it was a waste'. Brian J Berry's probably your best bet for extreme since his stuff comes across more like the old VHS from the 80s rather than the tryhard stuff from the 90s.

Hollismason posted:

Dbox seats are the modern equivalent. It's very worth it for some films and a total waste for others. Lost Boys with the train tracks and Evil Dead Rise with Raimi cam were both very worth it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Icelandic Traditional Wrestling association is willing to loan me a proper glíma uniform for my monster wrestling film with the condition that they can send a representative on set to make sure the wrestling is accurate and traditional.

They first went through the script to make sure it wasn't against any of their values.

Lol what are their values?

Also that's awesome, you should just cast the rep as the wrestler

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The dude I'm casting actually has experience wrestling but in the WWE American sense so we'll probably need some adjusting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's like getting threatened with a nice cake. "Okay, we'll help you out, but in exchange we're also going to help you out much more."

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

I may regret asking, but… what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s some boobies in Oppenheimer

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CelticPredator posted:

There’s some boobies in Oppenheimer

hmm ok, no further questions

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And Oppenheimer gets some sloppenhemier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Florence Pugh rules, may be my fav living actress, and I love that she's come to feel comfortable with her body (especially in a way that upsets pricks)

https://twitter.com/hellopugh/status/1693311295489994986?s=20