Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I thought it was essentially (or in actuality) confirmed that you don't fly around like in Elite: Dangerous or No Mans Sky, but instead go from system waypoint to waypoint, with planet orbit and planetside possibly being different waypoints.

If this game had travel like NMS, there's no way that would not be a massively hyped and marketable point- we would have known long ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
As far as I know that hasn't been confirmed. The things we know for sure are that
1) You travel system to system using your jump drive on the star map.
2) You cannot fly directly from space to a planet's surface. I believe, but am not sure, that the way this works is that you fly towards the planet and then once you get close enough you select a spot on the globe to land, which happens in a cutscene.

Rewatching the Direct, you can see that you can select planets on the local system map to plot a course to, which suggests that it will at least be an option to fast travel from planet to planet But the other things they talk about in terms of encounters in space suggest that you will have free flight within star systems, simply because otherwise it would be quite difficult for you to "happen across" things like Space Grandma, Forgotten Generation Ship or Obviously Doomed Pleasure Yacht.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 20, 2023

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The_White_Crane posted:

As far as I know that hasn't been confirmed. The things we know for sure are that
1) You travel system to system using your jump drive on the star map.
2) You cannot fly directly from space to a planet's surface. I believe, but am not sure, that the way this works is that you fly towards the planet and then once you get close enough you select a spot on the globe to land, which happens in a cutscene.

Both of these points are true. The other thing is that they have shown footage of space flight and space combat which happened well outside planetary orbit. They have also shown glimpses of encounters you can have in space (remember the space grandma who was also flying about in her own ship?) which also appeared to not be in the vicinity of a planet. Of course it’s possible that there was just convenient camera angles facing away from the nearby planet, it’s unknown.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The other possibility is that events like that take place at fixed, non-planetary waypoints in space, so you'll get like, a blip on the system map saying "UNKNOWN SIGNAL" and the option to plot a course there and find out what it is.
I dunno. Honestly, given the amount of work they've clearly done on space flight, I'd be surprised if they didn't have free in-system flight. I don't think it's actually that huge a technical challenge, really

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Going back over the space flight section from the Direct (timestamped below), I can't see how there isn't free in system flight. There's a lot of movement around and near planets, and the systems seem set up for close interplanet flight, similar (more compact even) to No Man's Sky's star systems. Also the way they talk about finding random encounters and POIs in space seems like you'll be travelling about. "Just like when you're planetside, there are plenty of sights to see and stops to make on the way to your next adventure".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOPoAq5vIA&t=1507s

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If both the planetary orbit space as well as the landing sites are spatially limited, that’d be disappointing. I guess we’ll find out soon, because I’m sure the first thing at least someone will do during the early access is waste his five days of time trying to circumnavigate a planet (or not).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It also depends on how much they want to juice the scale. If you want to fly from planet to planet you need to balance whether it feels like stuff is 2 miles away vs wasting a ton of time traveling. Personally, I'm expecting to use the grav drive to travel to points of interest and then you fly around near them. Or maybe they do both. Yes, you can fly from Mars to Earth, it takes 6 real time months.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I mean, that's kind of a solved problem; you just have the Time Dilation/Supercruise Mode/whatever where the distances are actually short and the game fakes you travelling at like, 0.8c to get from place to place within the system.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would rather have the space travel aspect be a minimalist feature that amounted to glorified fast travel, than deal with some half-baked time sink.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hope it’s better about it than Mass Effect Andromeda, because adding the extra step of having to board your ship first to get anywhere else, added so much wasted time to the game. It made quest completion such a chore, since you could never just send an email to confirm you did the thing. You always had to personally hand deliver the news, which meant a bunch of loading screens and a lot of pointless running.

In a game with a lot of problems, that may have been the most frustrating element.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Americans get the best deal

https://twitter.com/sergioodoardi/status/1693168388451844257?s=20

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

It's a simultaneous release everywhere, it's just the time zones that are different (unless that was the joke)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

ymgve posted:

It's a simultaneous release everywhere, it's just the time zones that are different (unless that was the joke)

I know, I meant that the Americans can start playing in the evening which is the best time to play games, while for me it's the middle of the night at that time. And I'm not one to skip sleep so I'll start later.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

John F Bennett posted:

I know, I meant that the Americans can start playing in the evening which is the best time to play games, while for me it's the middle of the night at that time. And I'm not one to skip sleep so I'll start later.

You get that, but I don't think the poster of that tweet (xit?) gets that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bethesda hasn't even had big jumping or levitation or flight since Morrowind and levitation was just noclip type movement with collision turned on. I will remain skeptical of any kind of ship movement at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I hope it’s better about it than Mass Effect Andromeda, because adding the extra step of having to board your ship first to get anywhere else, added so much wasted time to the game. It made quest completion such a chore, since you could never just send an email to confirm you did the thing. You always had to personally hand deliver the news, which meant a bunch of loading screens and a lot of pointless running.

In a game with a lot of problems, that may have been the most frustrating element.

It's always refreshing in a modern, magic, or sci-fi game where they remember telecommunication. I think that was one of the only things that impressed me about the KotoR MMO, not all but some quests could be resolved or advanced remotely so you could stay and keep going rather than make the journey back to some rear end in a top hat standing around.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Xakura posted:

You get that, but I don't think the poster of that tweet (xit?) gets that.

Oh yeah, the New Zealand thing! Didn't even notice that part, the map took my full attention. True, that won't work this time.

Khanstant posted:

Bethesda hasn't even had big jumping or levitation or flight since Morrowind and levitation was just noclip type movement with collision turned on. I will remain skeptical of any kind of ship movement at all.

Levitation is back in the form of jetpacks. Kinda.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Khanstant posted:

:pwn: they've shown ship combat already, what are you talking about.

Also, FO4 had jetpacks

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

I'm pretty sure that on planets, the ships only move in cutscenes. If that's what they meant.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

John F Bennett posted:

Levitation is back in the form of jetpacks. Kinda.

Low gravity planet + Jetpack = Levitation.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Xakura posted:

:pwn: they've shown ship combat already, what are you talking about.

Also, FO4 had jetpacks

why play videogame when you can watch video essay?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Tankbuster posted:

why play videogame when you can watch video essay?

So I can leave a bad review on Steam because the game is shoving politics down my throat by having women in it(non sexy kind).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

Actually Fallout 76 had high jumping. 76 had a number of neat original ideas, one of which were mutations.

Marsupial -- Carry Weight +20, +jump height

Speed Demon -- Movement speed +20%, faster reload +20%

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

"This developer hasn't done thing in years, therefore they can't possibly do thing this time" is such a hilariously bad take. Moreso because the premise of the take is also wrong.

Also re: Levitation: there's also Zero-G sections!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The_White_Crane posted:

I dunno. Honestly, given the amount of work they've clearly done on space flight, I'd be surprised if they didn't have free in-system flight. I don't think it's actually that huge a technical challenge, really

Time to find out how Creation Engine handles hitting the limits of floating-point precision!

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I’m expecting the space transit to be basically like Wing Commander: Privateer, which is fine, and anything better than that’s gonna be a treat.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm still curious as to whether landing in this game generates a fixed size tile with invisible wall, as is being speculated, and requires space travel to go elsewhere, or if it's unbound and keeps generating geometry, so that you can run around the planet. re: lack of ground vehicles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I can't imagine wanting space travel like Elite Dangerous in an RPG like this. I'm sorry but that poo poo was/is boring as gently caress.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm still curious as to whether landing in this game generates a fixed size tile with invisible wall, as is being speculated, and requires space travel to go elsewhere, or if it's unbound and keeps generating geometry, so that you can run around the planet. re: lack of ground vehicles.

That would make this Outer Worlds.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

a 4chan leak says you can freely fly between moons/planets but only land on predetermined spots on planets

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Subjunctive posted:

Time to find out how Creation Engine handles hitting the limits of floating-point precision!

I assume they do the smart thing where your ship (or whatever ship/docking platform you're currently landed on) is standing still at 0,0,0 and everything moves and rotates in the opposite direction around you. Therefore anything close to you would be unaffected by floating point limits and everything far away would be too small to care about (or big enough that floating point precision doesn't mean anything, like planets)

This would also explain how you can stack a mountain of sandwiches on your desk and not have it freak out

ymgve fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 20, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AirRaid posted:

"This developer hasn't done thing in years, therefore they can't possibly do thing this time" is such a hilariously bad take. Moreso because the premise of the take is also wrong.

Also re: Levitation: there's also Zero-G sections!

Are they bringing back climbing?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

this is a sci-fi rpg not a space sim, i don't really understand what people were expecting

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Zokari posted:

this is a sci-fi rpg not a space sim, i don't really understand what people were expecting

these are the same people that were disappointed cyberpunk 2077 was a story driven rpg and not future gta online

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zokari posted:

Every game that has anything to do with space wakes up latent Star Citizen brain syndrome in a bunch of people.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ephori posted:

I’m expecting the space transit to be basically like Wing Commander: Privateer,

This was exactly what I was thinking earlier but didn't post because I thought no-one would get it anyway! Apparently you are as ancient as I am.

But yeah, all the stuff they have posted seem to point to exactly this, except that there are better cutscenes for landing. I think it works just fine for a game.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think this is mostly irrelevant, because planets are planet-sized and travel speeds are fairly limited.

1glitch0 posted:

That would make this Outer Worlds.

This is very clearly in the same genre of a game as Outer Worlds. Given how much of a rush job OW seemed to be, and this being so delayed, I'm now very interested on who had the idea first, and if the other company had it independently or not.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Tuna-Fish posted:

This was exactly what I was thinking earlier but didn't post because I thought no-one would get it anyway! Apparently you are as ancient as I am.

But yeah, all the stuff they have posted seem to point to exactly this, except that there are better cutscenes for landing. I think it works just fine for a game.

I think this is mostly irrelevant, because planets are planet-sized and travel speeds are fairly limited.

This is very clearly in the same genre of a game as Outer Worlds. Given how much of a rush job OW seemed to be, and this being so delayed, I'm now very interested on who had the idea first, and if the other company had it independently or not.

They filed a trademark for Starfield in 2013.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
If Bethesda has been wanting to make a ~space game~ for as long as they claim it was always going to be something like this because that's the type of games they make. How else are you going to "space" if not planets and moons and spaceships? With wide open exploration?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tuna-Fish posted:

I'm sure two companies can want to make an open world space game independent of each other, just meant that despite talent and ambition there might not be a way to create that sense of unlimited vastness that exists in something like Skyrim when you try and increase the size to a galaxy. I worry Starfield will end up feeling much smaller than Skyrim or even Fallout 4 because, like Outer Worlds, it's just going to be a series of invisible walled small spaces that you fast travel to. Hopefully they figured out a way to make it awesome, tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I actually have no idea what the scope of the game is except 1. you can land on other planets 2. you can build a fleet of some kind 3. you can only land some ships on planets 4. no mechs

I was sort of just assuming something like Mass Effect + Skyrim with a little bit of Freelancer in there