Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I feel black wouldn't pop as much in contrast to the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sometimes you want contrast, other times you don't because the model is already so busy

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Finished up my first squad of chonky bois.

I definitely feel I made the right choice keeping the main weapon chassis as red.

I like em! I actually haven't built mine yet, debating about what heavy weapon to do. I already have an older Terminator with Assault Cannon and one with a Heavy Flamer. Thinking about doing the Cyclone Missile Launcher for the new models.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

I just waded through the Forgotten Realms wiki cause of BG3 and let me tell you, 40k is incredibly consistent high literature compared to that.

It's genuinely impressive to me that 40k books have a fairly consistently high quality, I don't know of any other licensed tie-in novel series that are as consistent

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's genuinely impressive to me that 40k books have a fairly consistently high quality, I don't know of any other licensed tie-in novel series that are as consistent

Dan Abnett has probably been referenced in this thread more than a few times, but he is an author that I've been consistently entertained by with his novels. The original Eisenhorn trilogy was the first 40k novels I ever read, which immediately pivoted into anything 40k he has written. I feel they can be solid stand alone sci-fi faire without a lengthy crash course on 40k fluff.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I chewed through Gaunt's Ghosts and then did the same for Eisenhorn and Ravenor and adored them all

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The quality in general has gone up over the last couple of years. Especially now that we also have authors who are more or less equal to Abnett when it comes to fantastic writing.

Also helps that the old guard of GW has seemingly stopped writing as well. Because a lot of them were never really that great.
A pity some of those still jealously guarding their territory to the detriment of others.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cooked Auto posted:

The quality in general has gone up over the last couple of years. Especially now that we also have authors who are more or less equal to Abnett when it comes to fantastic writing.

Also helps that the old guard of GW has seemingly stopped writing as well. Because a lot of them were never really that great.
A pity some of those still jealously guarding their territory to the detriment of others.

Yeah, some of the original BL authors were awful. And plenty of the ones that had good books were, at best, wildly inconsistent. Their visions for 40k were good for the page-length narratives that codexes thrive on, but not for novels.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I still wish Kim Newman and Ian Watson would come back.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I managed to recruit two new people into the game today! gonna introduce them to combat patrol next weekend! :dance:

How are you finding Combat Patrol?

My partner picked up the Votann one (has never played before) and has been enjoying the experience so much she's considering putting 1k of points together. It seems to be very popular with people who haven't been exposed to 40k before, but is far less popular with people who have. I really like it because it feels like 40k, but doesn't have the usual barriers to playing, such as a 4 hour potential gametime, or the small fortune needed to play 2k games.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Nice list, it also helps that the veteran guardsmen kits are going on sale again so you should be good to go.

What do you mean by on sale? Like discounted? They're already still selling the plastic kits for kill team right?

I'm going through finishing up some forgeworld DKoK guys and... It's kinda a nightmare. The gulf between my feelings on these models before and after painting them is incredible.

I also really struggle with the arms that are in multiple pieces and the absolute zero instructions present with those guys

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wrr posted:

What do you mean by on sale? Like discounted? They're already still selling the plastic kits for kill team right?

Nah, just back in stock is what they meant in this case. Or at least I assume as much.
Discounts? Hah.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Yes, restocked I meant

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oh, I thought that was what you meant but every GW store in Tokyo I've been has had the kill team sets. Didn't realize it was rare or selling out or anything.

For the DKoK squads it says it's going to be 9 troops to a watch master. Do I need to specify that one guy is a watch master? There's no like specific models so do I just gussy him up extra?

Wrr fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 20, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wrr posted:

Oh, I thought that was what you meant but every GW store in Tokyo I've been has had the kill team sets. Didn't realize it was rare or selling out or anything.

For the DKoK squads it says it's going to be 9 troops to a watch master. Do I need to specify that one guy is a watch master? There's no like specific models so do I just gussy him up extra?

the watchmaster has different weapons, it's on the back of the DKOK unit card. he starts with a chainsword and laspistol, and can swap them for better weapons. usually you want the power weapon (this can just be literally any melee weapon that isn't a chainsword) and a boltgun or plasma pistol.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wrr posted:

I'm going through finishing up some forgeworld DKoK guys and... It's kinda a nightmare. The gulf between my feelings on these models before and after painting them is incredible.

I also really struggle with the arms that are in multiple pieces and the absolute zero instructions present with those guys

I love some of FW's designs but I always think very carefully before buying their kits. Price aside, sometimes they're just hell to work with. It's a factor with any resin minis, I try to avoid anything in that material with long spindly bits, but with FW you also have things like warped big plates as part of vehicle kits.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Eej posted:

I just waded through the Forgotten Realms wiki cause of BG3 and let me tell you, 40k is incredibly consistent high literature compared to that.

Every now and then I make the mistake of attempting to read the entries in 40k wikis while I’m trying to look up obscure chapter markings or something. Literally every time the writer manages to hold their report style writing perspective for about 5 seconds before crashing into writing their action fan fiction where suddenly we’re getting a novel style play by play of characters actions and thoughts. They just can’t resist.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Virtual Russian posted:

My partner picked up the Votann one (has never played before) and has been enjoying the experience so much she's considering putting 1k of points together. It seems to be very popular with people who haven't been exposed to 40k before, but is far less popular with people who have. I really like it because it feels like 40k, but doesn't have the usual barriers to playing, such as a 4 hour potential gametime, or the small fortune needed to play 2k games.

it's absolutely fantastic as an entry point to the game, and it's super good as a way to introduce others to the game, once you know how to play combat patrol, the time it takes you to play 40k is shortened significantly because you now fully know how the game works.

so far I have played 500 point games, one is combat patrol, one normal full blast 40k, to be honest, they are both equal in terms of time it takes to play, the only thing you learn is the extra special abilities of your factions, which is easier to understand once you learn the mechanics of the game itself in Combat patrol.

I find the games are only like an hour and a half. I imagine once it gets to 1000 points I imagine it will be two hours. I think 4 hour games are for 2000 and 3000 point monstrosities.

Also, I know people like to poo poo on the official app, but I have seen twice with people completely unfamiliar with the game that they genuinely appreciate being able to just look at their phone and click on the keyword or special ability on their unit datasheet and immediately have it explained to them without needing to flip pages.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 20, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mr Teatime posted:

Every now and then I make the mistake of attempting to read the entries in 40k wikis while I’m trying to look up obscure chapter markings or something. Literally every time the writer manages to hold their report style writing perspective for about 5 seconds before crashing into writing their action fan fiction where suddenly we’re getting a novel style play by play of characters actions and thoughts. They just can’t resist.

You do know that somemost of the text in the fanwikis is lifted wholesale from the source material right?

If you want to read fanfiction play by plays then you want 1d4chan where you can get your fill of proper edgy 40k fanfiction.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm a long time player and I love Combat Patrol. It's so easy to just bang out a game with minimal fuss, and it's a great intro to the hobby. It's also nice for trying out other factions without a large buy-in. I've got Thousand Sons, Votann, Space Marines and Necrons and I just picked up Orks, Aeldari, and Dark Angels.

Al-Saqr posted:

Also, I know people like to poo poo on the official app, but I have seen twice with people completely unfamiliar with the game that they genuinely appreciate being able to just look at their phone and click on the keyword or special ability on their unit datasheet and immediately have it explained to them without needing to flip pages.

Can do the same thing with New Recruit without all the flipping back and forth to remember what Wargear you have equipped, view a different datasheet, etc. It's all right there in front of you with easy drop-downs and hyperlinks.

I use the app for the core rules, never for units anymore.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Aug 20, 2023

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I would like to get the inquistorial weirdos set but its baffling why 3/7 of the models are monopose in a box that's explicitly designed so that you really want to buy two of them to get the full range of options.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Vagabong posted:

I would like to get the inquistorial weirdos set but its baffling why 3/7 of the models are monopose in a box that's explicitly designed so that you really want to buy two of them to get the full range of options.

:10bux:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Devorum posted:

I'm a long time player and I love Combat Patrol. It's so easy to just bang out a game with minimal fuss, and it's a great intro to the hobby. It's also nice for trying out other factions without a large buy-in. I've got Thousand Sons, Votann, Space Marines and Necrons and I just picked up Orks, Aeldari, and Dark Angels.

Can do the same thing with New Recruit without all the flipping back and forth to remember what Wargear you have equipped, view a different datasheet, etc. It's all right there in front of you with easy drop-downs and hyperlinks.

I use the app for the core rules, never for units anymore.

Im trying to use it but i cant find the combat patrol section, it defaults to 1000 points only where is it?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Vagabong posted:

the arms go on necromunda weirdos or any other scuzzy humans you might have in your bits box. necromunda scum is perfect as a companion set if you don't already have something usable.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Im trying to use it but i cant find the combat patrol section, it defaults to 1000 points only where is it?

It's for the main game, but you can just build the combat patrol loadout and use it as is. You don't have to fill up the full 1K points.

The app isn't as frustrating for Combat Patrol, though, as it only lists what you have equipped on the datasheet.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Devorum posted:

Yeah, I've been eyeing the Dark Eldar combat patrol, I must finish painting my vostroyans first though. Combat Patrol reminds me of minigeddon, a smaller game of epic with special list building rules to support low point games. I have many small forces for minigeddon, I fear I'll start doing the same for Combat Patrol.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

new space marine painted, I think I'm improving, sadly my lighting setup is a little too bright so I'm gonna have to come up with a solution soon, gonna put on a decal later when I print them. what do you guys think?

my first one is on the right and the new one is on the left.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
They look pretty nice to me! Definitely better than my first few space marines back when I started, haha. Good job

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/20/sunday-preview-carve-out-a-new-realm-for-humanity-with-the-cities-of-sigmar/

While next week's pre-orders are all about Cities of Sigmar, the previously announced 40k boardgames will be available outside of the US.
But only in Germany & Japan. :v:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The cities of sigmar stuff looks cool because it reminds me of the brettonian peasant pikemen

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

The cities of sigmar stuff looks cool because it reminds me of the brettonian peasant pikemen

Misread pikemin as pikmin and imagined something very different

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

It isn't inaccurate to how Bretonnians treat their peasants.

mooshiga
Sep 29, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

new space marine painted, I think I'm improving, sadly my lighting setup is a little too bright so I'm gonna have to come up with a solution soon, gonna put on a decal later when I print them. what do you guys think?

my first one is on the right and the new one is on the left.

those colors are awesome! a little more contrast in value (darker blue, lighter teal) might help them pop more, but you can really tell on the new one that you’ve done more thinner layers.

if you’re struggling with edge highlights or you don’t like how they’re coming out, I found drybrushing loads easier starting out for highlights and for blending on round surfaces (cloth or armor).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

I'm afraid to Google it, what's a pikmin?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They're cute little plant people. That's a safe Google.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm afraid to Google it, what's a pikmin?

Little bug-plant critters from a nintendo game

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

LOL

Warhammer+ tv shows arent available in my region, they're region locked, holy poo poo what a bunch of bozos, thank goodness they warned me before I subscribed get hosed GW I'm not paying for your poo poo service if I'm not getting what I pay for.

Also cool incentive to get people outside of the US and some EU countries to subscribe if they're not allowed to use half of the service. idiots.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Some of that is because of local regulations on what is and isn't allowed (see the Canadian discussions earlier), it's just easier for GW to not have service in those regions than trying to navigate every nation'sc laws.

Also it's 2023, who doesn't have a VPN?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

LOL

Warhammer+ tv shows arent available in my region, they're region locked, holy poo poo what a bunch of bozos, thank goodness they warned me before I subscribed get hosed GW I'm not paying for your poo poo service if I'm not getting what I pay for.

Also cool incentive to get people outside of the US and some EU countries to subscribe if they're not allowed to use half of the service. idiots.

Contacted GW a year or so ago to get info on when they were planning to roll out whtv in more countries, and they replied:

"Thank you very much for your email.

At present WarhammerTV has been officially launched in the following territories: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

Unfortunately, I do not have a specific date as to when this service will launch in X, however, we’re adding new countries to this list all the time, so check for updates regularly, or sign up for our Warhammer+ newsletter to get all the latest information delivered directly to your inbox!"

Bolded part is funny, because that list of countries is what they launched with and they've added no new regions since then :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

But they're trying very hard at it.
Much like how they're trying very hard to expand the places that can get their magazine subscriptions.