Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I’m going to skip the listerine and the nose spray in favor of hepa filters, n95 masks, and isolation. Just wish the pnw wasn’t currently on fire yet again or so drat warm so we could have the windows open and create a negative pressure system.

A month traveling internationally and my wife got it locally from something stupid like a coffee with a coworker, jfc. This is after I just mentioned poo poo is getting real again, my manager’s step-son got COVID last week too and they live down the street from us. I don’t see them in person but it’s very clearly going around and in our area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

i was trying to save her

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

It’s falciparum malaria.

That’s the bad malaria, the malaria that you do not want to get.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2859240/ posted:

The neurological complications of falciparum malaria are often associated with dysfunction of other organs and systems, with effects such as severe anemia, hypoglycemia, acute renal failure, hepatic impairment, and coagulation disorders.

concerning, but, good news!

Petey posted:

* in addition to remdesivir now being approved for people with kidney disease, looks like Paxlovid will be there soon based on the positive outcomes of this trial (and probably could be given off-label now?) https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/cid/ciad371/7230618

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

I can't believe the standing response to COVID among reactionaries is that it's the flu as well as a bioweapon that justifies hostility with China.

Speaking of China, they just announced that their version of the XBB vaccine is available to the general public. I fully expect for vaccination rates to be God awful.

China nowadays is essentially like the US. Nobody masks expect for service and medical workers, people want to believe that COVID is over*, and the country is ignoring the rise of EG.5 cases all over the country. lovely thing is you can't even get Pax from the doctor unless you're old. There are shady vendors willing to sell tho.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
power bi is my sexual orientation
surely nobody's made that joke before

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Some men can't even maintain an erection without having a chart with an arrow going up place in front of them

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Got bunny fever? Then do I have the perfect convention for you!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Petey posted:

my blood pressure has been pretty consistently high for a few months now, 130+ SBP in medical settings, so my cardiologist had me get a home monitor to do daily tests for a few weeks, using the "five minutes of quiet and rest before a test" protocol.

the first few times it was 140+ SBP over 80-85 DBP, which is pretty high. then i started drinking 6-8oz of beet juice in the morning and it's gone down to 120- SBP over ~80-82 DBP.

it's hard to control for everything of course — food, exercise, rest, time of day, and so on. i'm sure there are many factors. i'll probably try cycling back off it and see what happens. just figured i would mention it on the endothelial health front.

Nervous at all? IANAD but an anecdote….

tl;dr My home BP went from like 140 to mid 120s over the course of a few weeks and im almost certain it was due to me slowly not freaking out about what the number will be while I was taking it.

I’ve always had good BP but went to the doc in Sept 2020 during basically a panic attack and it was high 130s and the RN was like “you may need BP medication, buy a monitor and take it every day”. That plus COVID anxiety and being sedentary at home had me on a spiral and I was basically terrified (and still don’t like) taking it. I was hitting near 140 until I gradually saw the numbers come down to settle around just above 120 with HR in the 60s.

I still hit 90+ bpm and 130s in the loving doctor office though.

Also what’s with this new COVID variant. I assume lack of fun case growth charts is because no one is testing so we won’t know if it is exponential growth until signal from hospitals?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Crazyweasel posted:

(..)
Also what’s with this new COVID variant. I assume lack of fun case growth charts is because no one is testing so we won’t know if it is exponential growth until signal from hospitals?

Neither EG.5, nor BA.2.86 have crossed the ~50% threshold anywhere to dominate graph trajectory. But even so, hospitalizations are growing across board.

(okay, EG.5 may have crossed it in some Asian countries, but tracking is abysmal and publicly available data doubly so, so who really knows :shrug:)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Pingui posted:

Neither EG.5, nor BA.2.86 have crossed the ~50% threshold anywhere to dominate graph trajectory. But even so, hospitalizations are growing across board.

(okay, EG.5 may have crossed it in some Asian countries, but tracking is abysmal and publicly available data doubly so, so who really knows :shrug:)

for 2.86 some folks are urging a ba.1 style test monitoring tweak https://x.com/tuliodna/status/1692564557925957650?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

large study in Britain shows vaccination reduces, but does not remove, diabetes risk after infection; doctors urge type 2 monitoring, especially for those who were hospitalized (among whom incidence was greatest) https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.08.07.23293778v1

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

for 2.86 some folks are urging a ba.1 style test monitoring tweak https://x.com/tuliodna/status/1692564557925957650?s=46&t=b23kGbnuFi54qJQa-UIGzw

I don't think that makes much sense within the current test and monitoring paradigm.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Okuteru posted:

Speaking of China, they just announced that their version of the XBB vaccine is available to the general public. I fully expect for vaccination rates to be God awful.

China nowadays is essentially like the US. Nobody masks expect for service and medical workers, people want to believe that COVID is over*, and the country is ignoring the rise of EG.5 cases all over the country. lovely thing is you can't even get Pax from the doctor unless you're old. There are shady vendors willing to sell tho.

God, loving depressing.

Glumwheels posted:

I’m going to skip the listerine and the nose spray in favor of hepa filters, n95 masks, and isolation. Just wish the pnw wasn’t currently on fire yet again or so drat warm so we could have the windows open and create a negative pressure system.

A month traveling internationally and my wife got it locally from something stupid like a coffee with a coworker, jfc. This is after I just mentioned poo poo is getting real again, my manager’s step-son got COVID last week too and they live down the street from us. I don’t see them in person but it’s very clearly going around and in our area.

TBF listerine's good for keeping you from getting gingivitis, you should do it anyway.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Pingui posted:

I don't think that makes much sense within the current test and monitoring paradigm.

It might make case numbers go up and, public healthily speaking, we sure don't want that.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Okuteru posted:

I can't believe the standing response to COVID among reactionaries is that it's the flu as well as a bioweapon that justifies hostility with China.

International pax smuggling ring when

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

It’s falciparum malaria.

That’s the bad malaria, the malaria that you do not want to get.

It’s pretty weird that after twenty years with no local malaria, in one summer the United States has three independent outbreaks.
Fortunately bed nets protect you most when you're least woke, so we should be able to get FL and TX onboard with them pretty easily

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Zugzwang posted:

Fortunately bed nets protect you most when you're least woke, so we should be able to get FL and TX onboard with them pretty easily

that's a lockdown.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crazyweasel posted:

Nervous at all? IANAD but an anecdote….

tl;dr My home BP went from like 140 to mid 120s over the course of a few weeks and im almost certain it was due to me slowly not freaking out about what the number will be while I was taking it.

I’ve always had good BP but went to the doc in Sept 2020 during basically a panic attack and it was high 130s and the RN was like “you may need BP medication, buy a monitor and take it every day”. That plus COVID anxiety and being sedentary at home had me on a spiral and I was basically terrified (and still don’t like) taking it. I was hitting near 140 until I gradually saw the numbers come down to settle around just above 120 with HR in the 60s.

I still hit 90+ bpm and 130s in the loving doctor office though.

This is widely known as "white-coat hypertension" fyi.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Leeanne009/status/1692904960734666892

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Glumwheels posted:

She managed to find a telehealth doctor through the state and got the prescription. Getting it filled now.

I’m so loving pissed. I’m testing negative, will test the kids again. Good thing I’ve been falling asleep on the couch the last two days.

get yourself a pax script right now, so you can start taking asap if you start to feel sick. at worst, you've spent 0-$20 on a box of pax to have on hand for your next covid infection. at best, it lets you start treatment immediately, without worrying about business hours or weekends.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also note they somehow found a stock photo of a kid getting jabbed where they're not wincing or screaming in pain

remember when the vaccines first came out and it was all pictures of athletes and politicians not wincing to prove shots are good / to justify getting the shot ahead of HCWs and old people?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

jetz0r posted:

get yourself a pax script right now, so you can start taking asap if you start to feel sick. at worst, you've spent 0-$20 on a box of pax to have on hand for your next covid infection. at best, it lets you start treatment immediately, without worrying about business hours or weekends.

I’m feeling sick, woke up with a fever of 38.3

Going to take another test and see

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
If you're American, reading this thread, and don't have 2+ boxes of pax in your home ready to go, please know that there are Canadians who would go through great effort to have even just one box on hand for the inevitable (re)infection. I want you all to have the paxlovid, please don't be lazy. Protect yourselves!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
two more friends popped lol

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

tuyop posted:

If you're American, reading this thread, and don't have 2+ boxes of pax in your home ready to go, please know that there are Canadians who would go through great effort to have even just one box on hand for the inevitable (re)infection. I want you all to have the paxlovid, please don't be lazy. Protect yourselves!

How do you get it if you dont have positive tests or anything to show? Even online I've had the doctors ask for some sort of proof whatsoever.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Skyl3lazer posted:

How do you get it if you dont have positive tests or anything to show? Even online I've had the doctors ask for some sort of proof whatsoever.

you lie

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
wow this thread condones lying to doctors??

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Just get it if you test positive. There is a finite supply of free Paxlovid, you don'y need to be hoarding multiple boxes lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"It's up to each individual to make their own personal-public-health decisions"
"No! Not like that!"

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

wow this thread condones lying to doctors??

lying is great in general. rich ppl got no qualms about doing it. if it benefits you and doesn't hurt anyone, lie !!

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Salt Fish posted:

"It's up to each individual to make their own personal-public-health decisions"
"No! Not like that!"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
We have the tools

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ram dass in hell posted:

lying is great in general. rich ppl got no qualms about doing it. if it benefits you and doesn't hurt anyone, lie !!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

People hoarding a prescription drug they don't need is a good way to make that drug harder to get for everyone.

It happened during H1N1. Bunch of people caused a run on tamiflu and the CDC put out new guidelines restricting its use.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rosalind posted:

People hoarding a prescription drug they don't need is a good way to make that drug harder to get for everyone.

It happened during H1N1. Bunch of people caused a run on tamiflu and the CDC put out new guidelines restricting its use.

there isn't anyone doing this with paxlovid though. nobody knows about it or thinks it's necessary

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there isn't anyone doing this with paxlovid though. nobody knows about it or thinks it's necessary

Paxlovid has been prescribed like 12 million times.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Don't hoard the finite supply of Paxlovid, the personal prophylactic for raving

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

We don’t really have covid PrEP yet but I’d probably take it for raves. But also you don’t immediately contract covid every time you go to any sort of indoor event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

I just dunno what to say about Bob Wachter, he gave his wife what sounds like pretty severe PASC, described his own case as "nasty," and very much could have died of that 'with covid not of covid' shower fall and subsequent brain bleed.

I hadn't heard about the Bob shower fall lore so I looked it up based on this post and found a few things in the old thread that uhhh weren't so great on this topic about a month ago

The Oldest Man posted:

Me, standing over Bob Wachter's motionless body on the floor of his shower as blood pools under him:

"HOLY poo poo THIS GUY NEEDS CBT"

Thoguh posted:

Wachter broke his head open with COVID and you dummies can’t just enjoy that and instead let yourself be trolled for a bunch of pages.

Just don’t reply to bad faith posters that try to stir up drama so they can go cry about it in SAD. You don’t have to acknowledge them!

I'm not going to quote all the others but there was some pretty hosed up stuff posted. Bob has had some bad COVID opinions on twitter and a pretty influential following so I understand the impulse to hate on the guy, but please steer clear of this kind of stuff from now on under the thread reboot rules.