Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can we just agree that both oblivion and skyrim's writing was garbage? no need to try and measure them like "ok this sandwich is covered in 45% poo poo, but this other sandwich is only 32% poo poo and one side is almost clean enough to get a bite in"

Ain't nobody thinking back fondly to the oblivion quest lines and thinking "drat, the king of worms was a great story" or "the fighters guild questline is in my top 100 rpg questlines"

I mean yeah neither game is winning awards for their writing, rightfully so, but if I'm gonna play a Bethesda RPG (which I'm gonna, because they're fun and there is no meaningful competition in that space) I'm gonna at least give some credit to the one whose storytelling I prefer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Can we just agree that both oblivion and skyrim's writing was garbage? no need to try and measure them like "ok this sandwich is covered in 45% poo poo, but this other sandwich is only 32% poo poo and one side is almost clean enough to get a bite in"

Ain't nobody thinking back fondly to the oblivion quest lines and thinking "drat, the king of worms was a great story" or "the fighters guild questline is in my top 100 rpg questlines"

No, because it's not necessarily. The thing about these huge games is that there's so much content that while, yes, there's quite a bit of garbage, there are parts that range from good to occasionally great. It's just that those parts aren't evenly distributed.

Regarding the guild quest lines, I maintain that they could've been much better with the smallest amount of tweaking, but I think they fell victim to the devs wanting people to be able to 100% the game with one character. There are a couple of mods that add skill requirements and radiant quest requirements to the mage college and companions questlines, and that makes them feel quite a bit stronger.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah the modpack I'm playing adds a bit where you have to learn an actual spell and use it for something from each of the teachers at the college between "Congrats you're in" and "Time to go to Saarthal" which helps some with feeling like you're actually learning anything rather than "okay time for the plot"

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

neither game has Good writing but oblivions guilds felt more like they fit fantasy guild/class archetypes rather than immediately being swept up into some overarching plot largely unrelated to the reason you'd initially want to join. if you want to play as a thief skyrim leaves you feeling like an agent of nocturnal with less emphasis on heist poo poo because a lot of the heist poo poo is radiant garbage rather than the actual guild storyline. they're not notably worse or anything, just a very different vibe

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

all videogame writing is garbage.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gay devil posted:

neither game has Good writing but oblivions guilds felt more like they fit fantasy guild/class archetypes rather than immediately being swept up into some overarching plot largely unrelated to the reason you'd initially want to join. if you want to play as a thief skyrim leaves you feeling like an agent of nocturnal with less emphasis on heist poo poo because a lot of the heist poo poo is radiant garbage rather than the actual guild storyline. they're not notably worse or anything, just a very different vibe

The thieves guild is the one guild where it actually works though. You have the A plot of fixing the guild taking massive Ls, and the B plot of going to town stealing poo poo until a patron wants to formalize the guild within the cities. Hell, the A plot with mercer has a pretty well made heist mission with the falmer tablet etchings.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

You talk about the fact that you were supposed to get rainforest Roman legionnaires riding dinosaurs and we got the most milk toast rural New England setting possible and they shrug.

They never knew that promise before playing the game. They picked up this new game out and liked it. They shrug because you're talking about something they've never heard of before and doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything.

Have you ever just nodded along with some story your grandmother was telling even though you didn't understand it because you didn't know anyone involved? They're doing that to you.

hero of kvetch
Aug 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
oblivion is cool. relax.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

hero of kvetch posted:

oblivion is cool. relax.

Disposition lowers greatly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

They never knew that promise before playing the game. They picked up this new game out and liked it. They shrug because you're talking about something they've never heard of before and doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything.

Have you ever just nodded along with some story your grandmother was telling even though you didn't understand it because you didn't know anyone involved? They're doing that to you.

If they came in tabula rasa and liked the writing, conversation pie, mechanics, universal level scaling and character building well then the kids are not alright.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

If they came in tabula rasa and liked the writing, conversation pie, mechanics, universal level scaling and character building well then the kids are not alright.

My Sibling In CHIM, people liking a vidya game you don't like is not a sign of societal decay, ffs. :jerkbag:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Conversation pie is genuinely better than "just press a button and hope it goes right" from Morrowind

It makes very little sense that you have to do all four things every time but at least it's something you have a bit of control over (without doing something like a cheesy "fortify speechcraft and personality 100 points for one second" spell anyway)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nah, the pie game's obnoxious. Give me a dice roll skill check.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Nah, the pie game's obnoxious. Give me a dice roll skill check.
The dice roll skill check which only gives you skill XP if you succeed.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Zereth posted:

Conversation pie is genuinely better than "just press a button and hope it goes right" from Morrowind

It makes very little sense that you have to do all four things every time but at least it's something you have a bit of control over (without doing something like a cheesy "fortify speechcraft and personality 100 points for one second" spell anyway)

Wait you guys actually did the minigame instead of hitting the bribe button?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

This is what happens when you just let skooma go unchecked in the community.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

Wait you guys actually did the minigame instead of hitting the bribe button?
I am trying to make money

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fun little tip for the oblivion persuasion minigame: draw your weapon before you start. You'll start 10 points lower, which ends up raising your final score by 10.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

After all these years I can't figure out how someone at Bethesda thought doing that pie wheel minigame was a good idea. Usually when you add a minigame you base it on something grounded on the reality of your world that a character would do (picking a lock, wiring a machine, reading the NPC's expression to pick the right question, etc.).

What is even happening with the speechcraft wheel? You cycle between admiring, joking, coercing and boasting at a person all within the same conversation, while they make a bunch of janky faces. What?
Say, the NPC hates suckups, so you have to admire him (the wheel demands it) but... you do it gently?

Let's say you're writing Oblivion: The Novel, how would you describe the events of a persuasion attempt?

Also, it's loving boring to do and basically the same every time.

vvvv Facts.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 20, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Lockpicking mini game is better than the current one at least.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Fun little tip for the oblivion persuasion minigame: draw your weapon before you start. You'll start 10 points lower, which ends up raising your final score by 10.

what? how?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You have a starting disposition (let's say 30 for thus explanation) and a max disposition (let's say 75.) Having your weapon out lowers the disposition of NPCs by 10 (you can actually watch some NPCs switch between 😐 and 😠 and back as your draw your weapon and sheath it.)

Anyhow, if you draw your weapon before doing the minigame, it'll lower their starting disposition by 10. If you reach max disposition (75) with your weapon out, once you sheath your weapon, their disposition will be 85.

Oblivion. :allears:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh of course why didn't I realize that :allears:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The main value of Oblivion's Speechcraft minigame is that it can be referred to as force feeding people slices of pie.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's so bad.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Show us on the dialogue pie chart where Oblivion hurt you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

It all started when they killed Patrick Stewart in the first five minutes because that was all they could afford him for.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I only saw it once, but I know there's an STTNG uniform mod for Oblivion out there, I keep trying to find it again to change the Emperor's outfit to that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

nine-gear crow posted:

It all started when they killed Patrick Stewart in the first five minutes because that was all they could afford him for.
I wonder if the thought process was "we really want Patrick Stewart in this game but we can't afford him, so let's kill his character at the end of the tutorial" or "we have this character who's dying at the end of the tutorial anyways, let's splurge and hire Stewart for a day in the booth".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Commander Keene posted:

I wonder if the thought process was "we really want Patrick Stewart in this game but we can't afford him, so let's kill his character at the end of the tutorial" or "we have this character who's dying at the end of the tutorial anyways, let's splurge and hire Stewart for a day in the booth".

They seemed to have this idea of getting a famous person to be someone you knew in both Oblivion and Fallout 3, maybe it was just a phase.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It meant they got to use Patrick Stewart's voice for the ads. Seems reasonable.

Also apparently he was ecstatic when they dropped a huge binder full of Uriel Septim lore in his lap for like a days VA work. Dude loves backstory.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KakerMix posted:

They seemed to have this idea of getting a famous person to be someone you knew in both Oblivion and Fallout 3, maybe it was just a phase.
I haven't played Fallout 3, who was in that game?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Liam Neeson is your Dad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Martin Septim was also a celebrity and he was around much longer and had more dialogue.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I quite enjoyed having Terence Stamp spout blasphemy at me.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

How could anyone claim Oblivion to be a terrible game when it has the highest Wes Johnson quotient in the entire series

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Liam Neeson is your Dad.

Nothing in Fallout 3 will ever be funnier or more Liam Neeson than that time I was traveling with him to Rivet City and he drew down the wrath of an entire camp full of raiders by strolling casually past their base. It started with him choosing some knife over his pistol and ended with him blowing up the entire street full of broken down nuclear powered cars with a loving missile launcher.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
He, uh, has a particular set of skills.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oblivion had potato people. That is all that matters.