Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

xzzy posted:

The red hat model doesn't even work for redhat, that's why they're killing off free access to RHEL rpm source.

Though that could be all IBM's manipulations, a company well known for running up the costs on everything they touch.

I am generally not a fan of calling a big exit a “success”, but I think $38 billion is big enough to count regardless of what happens afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

My company is cncf so we can never change our license.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

12 rats tied together posted:

If you have some system by which you manage conditions outside of CloudFormation (any programming lanuage with a json library, terraform, ansible) the only thing StackSets really solves for you is "for account in accounts", which was already the easiest part of this problem.
This is part of why I went with Troposphere + Sceptre for managing CF templates at a previous company. We wanted a LOT of triggers outside the AWS ecosystem basically given a hybrid infrastructure and because custom lambdas were absolute trash and really slow to prototype at the time and for the foreseeable future it was more convenient and easier to hire for people to mob onto a bunch of per-region, per-account stacks organized outside AWS and making it remotely possible to integrate with, say, Terraform. CDKTF didn't exist at the time and it was better to jump onto Terraform given we were going more multi-cloud + physical. In fact, the approach I wanted to take was to have Terraform manage most infrastructure while CF was used for developer-centric application management (cf-signal and similar doesn't exist in Terraform and can't, and those deploy models in CF with rollback are pretty cool out of the box).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Also, re: OSS-ish companies trying to make money chat.

The elephant in the room is that most of these companies are essentially all competing against hyper scalers that basically print money and capture markets via rent mechanisms, and if they are screwed on their stock for whatever reason they potentially become takeover targets that destroy these OSS ecosystems permanently. See what happened to Puppetlabs, Chef, Saltstack, and even Docker for all these projects-turned-companies that just can't seem to stay stable and force industry trends. In fact, one of the few stable-ish for 8+ years projects in this space now is Kubernetes, which is basically subsidized by the massive profit margins of rent-seeking type companies and also fuels Peter Thiel's assertions in support of monopolies for tech, which is sadly becoming more and more true than I'd like it to be. To put it another way, K8s has been basically on top for longer than Puppet and Chef ever even existed possibly, which is kind of a scary thought and also reminds me way too much of how old I'm getting and just makes me depressed.

Of the various OSS projects that are still hobbling along and doing solid technical work without an encumbrance of tons of corporate fiefdom-seeking measures off the top of my head there's the Linux kernel and Postgres. Everything else is basically a ward of a hyperscaler, absolute dickwad of a corporation, or a desperately fighting for survival formerly Apache-licensed company (MongoDB, Hashicorp, Elastic, etc.).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Docker was just exceptionally poorly managed, I can't think of a worse managed high profile company in recent years. They tanked before the #metoo movement but had they survived they probably would have been hit with some of that as well

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Docker was just exceptionally poorly managed, I can't think of a worse managed high profile company in recent years. They tanked before the #metoo movement but had they survived they probably would have been hit with some of that as well

Hashicorp. Trust me. They’re worse.

E: I interviewed there. First off they wanted someone in pst and I said I love working those hours so I’m good. They interviewed a bunch of other people and came back to me. Then they wanted me to list the reasons I left all my other jobs. None of your loving business. Then quiet for 2 weeks until I get a email asking me salary requirements. At that point I just told them to gently caress off.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 20, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

jaegerx posted:

E: I interviewed there. First off they wanted someone in pst and I said I love working those hours so I’m good. They interviewed a bunch of other people and came back to me. Then they wanted me to list the reasons I left all my other jobs. None of your loving business. Then quiet for 2 weeks until I get a email asking me salary requirements. At that point I just told them to gently caress off.
They pay at least 30% below market for engineers with the skillsets they're looking for, banking off high-energy youngsters looking to have a prestige brand on their resume. Even AWS figured out at some point that this approach will break you as a company.

FWIW, the last time I got one of those "reasons you left all your other jobs" things from a different company, I filled each one with an identical response of "offered better opportunity elsewhere" and they did not ask any other follow-ups before getting to offer stage

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 21, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

The red hat model doesn't even work for redhat, that's why they're killing off free access to RHEL rpm source.

Though that could be all IBM's manipulations, a company well known for running up the costs on everything they touch.
It's about business line synergies. IBM is a services company, not an ISV, and providing access to the source makes it much easier for competitors to also be services companies.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

re: hashicorp, I just got out of a meeting where I got to yell at the azurerm product manager for lack of qa

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Fool posted:

re: hashicorp, I just got out of a meeting where I got to yell at the azurerm product manager for lack of qa

When is your next meeting, continue yelling at them

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I, too, shall join in a video conference and yell at them free of charge if it pleases anyone working on a SOW to do just that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

When is your next meeting, continue yelling at them

Wednesday, and I intend to

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wednesday will be our third meeting on this issue in 4 business days and I am so tired but am also so annoyed that I'm not going to let it drop

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

necrobobsledder posted:

Also, re: OSS-ish companies trying to make money chat.

The elephant in the room is that most of these companies are essentially all competing against hyper scalers that basically print money and capture markets via rent mechanisms, and if they are screwed on their stock for whatever reason they potentially become takeover targets that destroy these OSS ecosystems permanently. See what happened to Puppetlabs, Chef, Saltstack, and even Docker for all these projects-turned-companies that just can't seem to stay stable and force industry trends. In fact, one of the few stable-ish for 8+ years projects in this space now is Kubernetes, which is basically subsidized by the massive profit margins of rent-seeking type companies and also fuels Peter Thiel's assertions in support of monopolies for tech, which is sadly becoming more and more true than I'd like it to be. To put it another way, K8s has been basically on top for longer than Puppet and Chef ever even existed possibly, which is kind of a scary thought and also reminds me way too much of how old I'm getting and just makes me depressed.

Of the various OSS projects that are still hobbling along and doing solid technical work without an encumbrance of tons of corporate fiefdom-seeking measures off the top of my head there's the Linux kernel and Postgres. Everything else is basically a ward of a hyperscaler, absolute dickwad of a corporation, or a desperately fighting for survival formerly Apache-licensed company (MongoDB, Hashicorp, Elastic, etc.).

What do you mean by hyperscalers? What's Thiel's support for tech company monopolies?

jaegerx posted:

I could see something like someone applying for a senior executive at a bank or something getting asked why he left their lost job for but typical engineers? That's really weird.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

Keep yelling. You have my support.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hashicorp has a lot of faults, but azure being poo poo to work with isn't theirs

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I could see something like someone applying for a senior executive at a bank or something getting asked why he left their lost job for but typical engineers? That's really weird.

It's an rear end in a top hat filtering question. Most of the time, you just need to be able to to say anything at all without starting a rant about your old company or the people you worked with.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What do you mean by hyperscalers? What's Thiel's support for tech company monopolies?

Hyperscalers is a bizarre term people who are obsessed with running their own datacenters or work with too many Expedients use to describe the three big public cloud providers

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
management uses that term exclusively and i hate it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The first time I heard it was Expedient marketing materials circa 2017. Not sure if they're really responsible for the term, but I absolutely blame them and other datacenters trying to position their bullshit "IaaS" services against the cloud providers as though VPN access to a VMWare tenant of some kind is an equivalent service (not to mention when they go whole hog and use VMWare Cloud Director and pitch it as a "cloud-equivalent" solution because the barely functional API can be used :barf:). Once I hear someone say hyperscaler I tune them out entirely. Quit drinking the koolaid and use the right terms ffs

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hyperscalers are the 'real' clouds. they used to just be the clouds but then linode and every dipshit with vmware started calling their poo poo a cloud so there needed to be a new word for the ones that operate at 100 - 1000x the scale of everyone else.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I just say cloud, no one I work with mistakes that for Digital Ocean. I do literally only work on public cloud poo poo so might be some… I dunno confirmation bias on my part

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

vanity slug posted:

hashicorp has a lot of faults, but azure being poo poo to work with isn't theirs
I remember the first time I tried to script changes to start and stop VMs on Azure from a Mac using their CLI, and being absolutely confused that the APIs were synchronous and would not return until the instance was fully online and had passed a health check. There was, at this time, no way to disable/bypass this behavior

The CLI was this ridiculously heavyweight Node.js thing too, so if you tried to parallelize it more than a couple dozen times your whole system would fall over

Absolutely hostile experience, I'm sure it's gotten a lot better

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

When was that, 2016?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

i am a moron posted:

When was that, 2016?
Oh yeah. It was real rusty, the console would randomly bounce you between Service Manager and Resource Manager, and I'm pretty sure cloud-init wasn't even supported on ARM templates yet. I couldn't believe they released it like that, but it would have been way worse not to.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Hadlock posted:

its pretty incredible the amount of money and opportunity docker had and they just... did nothing with it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

its pretty incredible the amount of money and opportunity docker had and they just... did nothing with it.
In the early years, they had an absolutely impossible market position if they wanted to be anything other than a services company. They were clearly sitting on something that was able to be the hub of multiple entire ecosystems, there was a huge amount of motion in the container space, and it wasn't clear where they were supposed to provide leadership vs. where they were supposed to let other software fill in the gaps. Their play at developer desktops relied on immature virtualization tech they didn't own and couldn't control. The cool hip startups where they gained traction had no money to pay them. Their aim at enterprise services was constrained by a dependency on Linux at a time when many companies were only adopting new management tools with cross-platform support, and middle-of-the-curve businesses had just virtualized their datacenters. That left HPC and Big Data, which they went after aggressively enough to hire the CEO of Gluster, but that space was too caught up in revolutionary changes in the data landscape to invest much time into swinging their grid computing effort into containers.

I wonder if they could have built the dev ecosystem in a more productive direction if they had bought a company like Parallels and owned the VM tech they needed, but I absolutely don't see those company cultures getting along at that time.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Vulture Culture posted:

Oh yeah. It was real rusty, the console would randomly bounce you between Service Manager and Resource Manager, and I'm pretty sure cloud-init wasn't even supported on ARM templates yet. I couldn't believe they released it like that, but it would have been way worse not to.

It’s come a long way. Azure powershell and Az CLI aren’t perfect, but they are very robust and easy to use regardless of end user OS. Az CLI even has a badass terminal program that can autocomplete resource names and makes on the spot use of CLI easy.

Any years where Azure Classic still appreciably existed were uh… rough

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Vulture Culture posted:

In the early years, they had an absolutely impossible market position if they wanted to be anything other than a services company. They were clearly sitting on something that was able to be the hub of multiple entire ecosystems, there was a huge amount of motion in the container space, and it wasn't clear where they were supposed to provide leadership vs. where they were supposed to let other software fill in the gaps. Their play at developer desktops relied on immature virtualization tech they didn't own and couldn't control. The cool hip startups where they gained traction had no money to pay them. Their aim at enterprise services was constrained by a dependency on Linux at a time when many companies were only adopting new management tools with cross-platform support, and middle-of-the-curve businesses had just virtualized their datacenters. That left HPC and Big Data, which they went after aggressively enough to hire the CEO of Gluster, but that space was too caught up in revolutionary changes in the data landscape to invest much time into swinging their grid computing effort into containers.

I wonder if they could have built the dev ecosystem in a more productive direction if they had bought a company like Parallels and owned the VM tech they needed, but I absolutely don't see those company cultures getting along at that time.

i mean, google offered them borg and they said they weren't interested and docker swarm was the way and the light so google kicked it to cncf, right?

that's how i recall it (hilariously) going down

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

it is always going to astound me that they had a technology which was adopted more rapidly than fire and they could not figure out how to monetize it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Junkiebev posted:

i mean, google offered them borg and they said they weren't interested and docker swarm was the way and the light so google kicked it to cncf, right?

that's how i recall it (hilariously) going down
I don't think so. There was less than a year between dotCloud renaming to Docker (October 2013) and Google welcoming Docker to the Kubernetes community (July 2014), itself barely a month after the first GitHub commit for Kubernetes

Kubernetes was a complete disaster to operate at this point—I think etcd hadn't even hit 2.0 yet. It was the development of the partner ecosystem that made it viable for businesses that aren't trying to run at Google scale. poo poo, remember Kubespray?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 25, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

direct result of my rabble rousing

the azurerm changelog posted:

The field win32_status has been replaced by win32_status_code

the fact that this is the solution they went with is hilarious to me

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Vulture Culture posted:

I don't think so. There was less than a year between dotCloud renaming to Docker (October 2013) and Google welcoming Docker to the Kubernetes community (July 2014), itself barely a month after the first GitHub commit for Kubernetes

Kubernetes was a complete disaster to operate at this point—I think etcd hadn't even hit 2.0 yet. It was the development of the partner ecosystem that made it viable for businesses that aren't trying to run at Google scale. poo poo, remember Kubespray?

i mean, the entire container orchestration landscape was crazy in that era - remember Mesos/DCOS? Cattle? Cluster Suite?

it was the wild west!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

direct result of my rabble rousing

the fact that this is the solution they went with is hilarious to me

Did they change the name of an existing field in a non-major release or something here? You mentioned it was a field that you didn’t even use which implies this is an output, and still requires state surgery on hundreds of statefiles. What on earth happened here?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The original issue was this breaking change in a non-major release:

quote:

the win32_status property of the status_code block in auto_heal has changed from string to int

win32_status is an optional property, but if you use auto_heal and don't set it, it will get set to "" by default

If you had a web_app resource deployed prior to this version, when you tried to use this new version your plan would fail because state validation would see the "" on a value that was supposed to be an int

The only solutions they initially offered us were to manually touch state for ~600 workspaces (some have multiple web_apps in them) or to redeploy all of our affected web_app instances.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Junkiebev posted:

i mean, the entire container orchestration landscape was crazy in that era - remember Mesos/DCOS? Cattle? Cluster Suite?

it was the wild west!

Mesos is the only thing keeping Twitter running right now.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What's Thiel's support for tech company monopolies?
His idea is that innovation centers like Xerox PARC and similar are a result of wildly profitable companies having the luxury and lack of competition to invest in long term R&D instead of trying hard to make quarterly numbers constantly. It’s not 100% wrong but there’s a lot of horrible, dire implications for humanity with every variable that supports the argument.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

what's the current docker alternative? podman?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

Podman, LXD, systemd-nspawn, containerd, runC, crun—what are you trying to do, exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

bobmarleysghost posted:

The alternative that is pretty much a 1:1 to the docker client is nerdctl https://github.com/containerd/nerdctl