Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wonder if you can see between the planks.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
imagine the smell (having converted a barn like that for my BIL recently... decades of horse piss and dead spiders smell)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

dare you enter the bamboo gently caress hut

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

rustic charm!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

found this amazing cabin yesterday but the master had three barn doors leading to the living room, master bath, and porch

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Justin Tyme posted:

Related but separate from the shoebox shacks built decades ago, it's insane that you can go to any prefab home website where you can buy some 1,000 sq ft house where all components come preassembled from a factory and you basically build it like legos after pouring a slab and think "aw gee these look nice, and they're small, maybe I can afford it!" and then you see "floor plans starting at $400,000, only available in California"

Traditional single wides absolutely still exist and are still cheap, go check out a Clayton Homes dealership in rural Alabama near the child labor Hyundai plant.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the other side of that prefab home / barndominium dream is that financing those things is way harder than getting a 30 year mortgage on new construction in a subdivision

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

I thought the thread might be interested in hearing about a property instrument that as far as I'm aware is unique to New Zealand, one so twisted that the New Zealand law commission has recommended that the whole mechanism be abolished.

Let's say you have a large piece of land in a city in the 1970's or 80's with a single house on it, and lets say that land is becoming quite valuable as the population increases and you can make mad bank if you slap a few more houses on that piece of land, how can you go about doing that? You could subdivide the land, such that the block becomes several distinct blocks which then get sold off to other people, but that's an annoying process requiring the council to do a lot of surveying, drainage, sewage etc.

Enter the cross-lease, how about instead of subdividing the block you just build several houses on what is technically a single block of land as far as the council is concerned. Then how about you find buyers for those houses and you enter into an agreement with all of those people such that you all have an equal percentage ownership of the entire block of land AND all of the houses on it. But wait, doesn't that mean that any of the other property owners are entitled to walk into my house and watch me take a poo poo? Yes!, that's why you also all sign agreements giving each property owner a 99 year exclusive access lease for their particular house and piece of land, ensuring that everyone has legal access to shared land (e.g driveway) but exclusive rights to their own piece of land and structures. These agreements also tend to have a big list of covenants that all of the owners have to agree to that could cover practically anything.

But wait, even though I have exclusive access to my land and house, all of the other owners still technically own an equal fraction of it right? Yes! Which means that if you want to do ANYTHING that might effect the value of those assets (usually structural or exterior changes mostly) you need to get consent from all of the other property owners first! Also, if you do something that requires updating of council plan documents, you need to update the documents for the entire block including all the other properties, and if those documents are not up to date then you can't legally sell your stake in the property.

Now you might think that this is probably a pretty rare thing but at least in Auckland it's common as gently caress, the original blocks of land particularly in the central city area were laid out when the population density was way lower, and over the years it's far more common than not that several houses were plonked onto those blocks of land. When we were looking at houses a year ago I think we only looked at one house that occupied its own block with no shared property (as they tend to be larger and therefore much more expensive properties). Almost every house we looked at was either a cross-lease or on a block that had been subdivided, the house we ended up in is on the back of a block that was subdivided and now contains two houses with a shared driveway, but is thankfully not a cross-lease.

"why submit a lot of paperwork to the council once today, when you can submit even more paperwork to the council all the loving time for the next 99 years!"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Traditional single wides absolutely still exist and are still cheap, go check out a Clayton Homes dealership in rural Alabama near the child labor Hyundai plant.

well, that's certainly a home

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I didn't expect Skyrim modding to go backwards like that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

well, that's certainly a home

double the sqft of my current lovely apartment

you can even see trees

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol it's swayze's room in roadhouse

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

"Cheap" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. Those Clayton single-wides start at $80k, and they're made of the worst materials possible. Just looking at carpets can give you cancer.

For some reason I thought bats would have better taste in furniture?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

i somehow love it. :psyduck:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
that looks like a second life or video game house how is that real

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

drat ai art is pretty sophisticated these days

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's only like a +8 rest in valheim

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Celexi posted:

Naw man, there's no leather daddy wolfman.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Celexi posted:

Agents love to stage houses with this program that lets them put virtual furniture in the pictures. There's a house that went up for sale near me that was virtually staged and it was a real "lipstick on a pig" situation. We took a look when it first went up and found that it needed so many repairs and alterations that it wasn't worth it, despite being ~60% of the cost of everything else around it. But there was a nice jpg of a table and chairs added to the kitchen, so!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

blue his house

with a blue little window

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Crusty Nutsack posted:

blue his house

with a blue little window

I assume that without that riser the larger staircase would be too steep to climb because lmao why else would you build a speed bump into your house

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1693269994354659831?s=20

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"Here is your change to have a start a great pjoject in a great neighborhood. The property has been stripped down and is waiting for you to replace, repair, rehab, enjoy or sale. The current floor plan is 3 baedrooms, one bath with open kitchen iving room area."
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/76-State-Farm-Rd-Voorheesville-NY-12186/29714265_zpid/

80k sounds right for a 3 baedroom, 1 bath, right?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
sorry that's too big a pjoject for me the humble DIYer

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

"Here is your change to have a start a great pjoject in a great neighborhood. The property has been stripped down and is waiting for you to replace, repair, rehab, enjoy or sale. The current floor plan is 3 baedrooms, one bath with open kitchen iving room area."
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/76-State-Farm-Rd-Voorheesville-NY-12186/29714265_zpid/

heres your chance to use spell checker

comes with a toilet though! (which im sure has been used)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

That article is maddening. The current owner would only kayak out to the island, and the house doesn't even have a wood stove.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

are those Tibetan prayer flags

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the gently caress

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the gently caress

A surprising juxtaposition. It'll start some conversations. Maybe not good ones.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

these people are loving freaks

quote:

In Orlando, Looking for a Move-In Ready House Near All the Fun

Two years in the community of Celebration, Fla., turned out to be a little too much Disney. A couple wanted a new house in a slightly calmer area — but still with plenty of amusement.

Even before the pandemic brought waves of Northerners to Florida, Anne and Linus Chow knew they wanted to leave the cold weather and constant rat race of the Washington, D.C., area.

Seeking a new place with abundant sunshine, where someone’s proximity to power was not their only commodity, the couple immediately homed in on Florida, where they had enjoyed vacationing. Ms. Chow, 41, a mental-health therapist, loves theme parks, so in late 2020 she and Mr. Chow, now 51, moved to Celebration, Fla., a suburb of Orlando.

But after two years in the master-planned community, which was developed by the Walt Disney Company, they soured on it. Celebration wasn’t close enough to anything but Disney World and the satellite theme parks, and a daytime burglary had left a bad feeling.

“It was just very touristy, too, once you left the Celebration bubble,” Ms. Chow said.

Last year they went on the hunt again, determined to find the right fit.

They wanted to be close to amusement parks — that part, Ms. Chow said, was “nonnegotiable.”

But the couple also wanted some of what they had missed about Northern Virginia: good Asian restaurants, gourmet food and nearby movie theaters. They yearned for a walkable neighborhood, but they knew that could be tough to find in Central Florida, where gated communities without sidewalks abound.

“We wanted a newer home, one that had been updated,” Ms. Chow said. “We were on the fence about a pool, because we didn’t know about the maintenance, since we had never had a pool before.”

They also needed a yard for their dogs, a Pomeranian named Bella and a Chihuahua named Vito. (The couple, who married in 2013, don’t have children but plan to start a family.) Both work from home (Mr. Chow is an enterprise architect), and they wanted dedicated office space. They figured they would need at least three bedrooms, if not four, and considered the pros and cons of the local gated communities.

Factoring in the sale of their Celebration home and their savings, the couple decided on a budget of roughly $1 million, with about half of that earmarked for a down payment to avoid too big a mortgage.

“I broke it up into three different things,” Mr. Chow said. “One was, how good is the house, meaning is it move-in ready? Another category was location overall, meaning location to stores, etc. And then the third was location, meaning the local commute.”

Among their options:

No. 1

Four-Bedroom in Windermere
Todd Anderson for The New York Times
This four-bedroom, four-bathroom, 4,052-square-foot house was in Windermere, a gated community about 10 miles north of Disney. There was an office as well as a “bonus room” upstairs, and a primary bedroom downstairs with access to a lovely swimming pool and a half-acre fenced yard. But the house had a bit of a late-’90s vibe, and the kitchen was small. The location was close to downtown Windermere, although there weren’t a lot of great amenities nearby. The asking price was $1.2 million, with a $266 monthly homeowner association fee and about $10,064 in annual taxes.

No. 2

Six-Bedroom in Orlando

This 3,717-square-foot house was in a gated community in Orlando, two miles south of the Windermere house. With six bedrooms and five bathrooms, as well as a pool, spa and deck, it offered plenty of space for working and entertaining guests. And while the house needed updating, the roof was new. The property was close to stores and restaurants, but getting there on foot involved walking along high-traffic streets. Also, there was a middle school a couple of blocks away, and the children’s voices carried. The asking price was $995,000, with a monthly homeowner association fee of $125 and $8,837 in annual taxes.

No. 3

Three-Bedroom in Bay Hill

This three-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bathroom house was in the Bay Hill development, about five miles south of Windermere. The 3,086-square-foot house had been renovated with a modern aesthetic and had ample closet space, but the bedrooms were very close to one another. The yard wasn’t fenced, but there was a swimming pool with a table inside, creating all kinds of remote-work possibilities. The seller, who was flipping the house after installing a new roof and plumbing, had doubled the price he paid six months earlier and was asking $1.298 million. The monthly homeowner association fee was $75 and the annual taxes were $6,720.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Aug 24, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4000 sq ft for a childless couple lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

apparently they want to start a family (I presume adoption given their ages)

i think the dog the woman is holding is deceased

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

omg that top is pure Orlando

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Disney adults

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wanting to move next door to Disney World and being surprised it's so touristy

E: I want to be in a walkable area close to everything, ugh is that the sound of kids playing outside ew no

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Aug 24, 2023

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

sirtommygunn posted:

Voorheesville gently caress that it's just dudes in goalie masks chasing you through your open plan hovel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

these people are loving freaks

poking around that windermere community and it's mostly houses built for airb&b and/or stuffed with the most pointless hgtv poo poo imaginable. how do people want to live like this