Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://youtu.be/ojJIki1vKAs

How is the LTT stubby screwdriver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

He has not. I think what he was writing was a long treatise in defense of automated testing before it all went off the rails

He didn't factor in the Human element. :shrug:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope there's more news soon cause whew threads like these stink up real bad with in-fighting and slap fights about semantics real quick when there's nothing else to discuss and dissect

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
a nice palate cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKiFk7tBTLg

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
GN is back to regular programming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKiFk7tBTLg

efb

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
it always annoys me when GN points out SFF cases (and parts, but they usually don't look at those) are more expensive than competitive mid towers. yeah no poo poo dude we can count dollars just fine, this isn't like a gpu review where people are interested in various marginal perf per dollar calculations. everyone who is interested in custom SFF is interested on purpose; we aren't actually interested in doing a normal sized build but accidentally confused and looking at a niche product

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don't really mind him pointing out the added cost because someone who just sees this video go up and likes how the case looks could get some serious sticker shock seeing how expensive mITX gear is.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
gently caress it let's keep this derail going, you can also absolutely read the character of Shylock to be a sympathetic tragic figure instead of an anti-semantic trope as well.

Although, obviously, most productions throughout time haven't, uh, exactly gone for that interpretation.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I forget whose video it was, but someone pointed out that this whole "we're going to stop making videos for a week" thing they're doing is largely performative anyways, because a week isn't anywhere near long enough for them to identify all their problems, come up with fixes for them, and change their processes to ensure that the problems don't reoccur. I don't expect them to take any serious steps to actually resolve the company's issues beyond what they think will keep their sponsors and subscribers happy. The rot is pretty widespread at this point.

When the problem was just a few bum reviews, it probably would have been enough to wait for the immediate furore to die down, push out a few weeks worth of videos that they quadruple checked obsessively, which'd buy enough time to do the actual work. It wasn't a bad plan on the surface.

Although with what's come out since, yeah, a week going dark ain't gonna cut it. Normally a new CEO would use this as cover to do a wave of firings in most businesses and to reset the company culture, and if they're a decent CEO who hires replacements well that'd stem the rot, but since LTT's 'product' is the onscreen talent and a lot of those are also the management who'd otherwise be on the cutting block I don't see how they can practically do that in this case. I don't see any real decent way forward for them here.

If I'm any number of tech channels I'm just chomping at the bit to swoop in and hire Emily, or the Mac Address guy.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also, a lot of sff channels make it sound "fun" to fit all your stuff in the cases because aesthetics, but i think it's perfectly fine to mention what an actual pain in the rear end it is for someone who's not buying thermal paste by the gallon. a lot of the customization means a lot of add-on expenses regular people might not anticipate

same thing with steve's thing with fan filter and weird front intake. at the end of the day, massively throttling airflow and thermals is worth bringing attention to so people can weigh the pros and cons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DavidCameronsPig posted:

If I'm any number of tech channels I'm just chomping at the bit to swoop in and hire Emily, or the Mac Address guy.

now I’m imagining an Apple-biased tech channel that’s just Emily, Mac Address dude, Colin from This Does Not Compute, and Snazzy Labs Quinn

gtfo with that MaxTech Luke Miami Renee Ritchie BULLshit

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've been interested in the Terra and was waiting for this review to to decide if I wanted to change to it or not, and him talking about how the slotted side panels affect fan noise was an absolute deal breaker. That cooler sounded like it was about to take off.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Luke likes to have revelations about tech stuff that renegade Apple HW hackers overseas covered years ago (e.g. Apple's NAND fuckery.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I don't see any real decent way forward for them here.

There's an old sitcom from the late 1970s/early 1980s called "WKRP in Cincinnati", about the wacky hijinks at a small-time AM radio station that's constantly struggling in their market. In one episode, the hotshot program director who's the #2 man in charge is pissed that they only moved up two spots in the ratings, and when he's venting to one of the DJs about it, he says the first thing he should have done to fix the station is fire both the incompetent (and lecherous) sales manager, and the incompetent (and insane) news director. His DJ pal points out that if he'd have fired them, he'd also have to fire the incompetent (but likable, if somewhat childlike) general manager, who also happens to be his boss (as well as the son of the station's owner). So if he can't fire the big guy at the top, he can't really fire the little guys, either.

I feel like that's kind of the situation here with LMG. Linus created this work environment, and short of his departure from the company, I don't really see any way LMG changes significantly, because even if they fired everyone Madison had identified as harassing or bullying her during her time there, all that means is they'll need to be replaced. The core problems of why they felt comfortable enough to harass someone like that would still remain.

(also everyone should check out WKRP; some parts pf it definitely haven't aged well at all, but overall it's still a great sitcom and a bit of a time capsule of its day)

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

kliras posted:

also, a lot of sff channels make it sound "fun" to fit all your stuff in the cases because aesthetics, but i think it's perfectly fine to mention what an actual pain in the rear end it is for someone who's not buying thermal paste by the gallon. a lot of the customization means a lot of add-on expenses regular people might not anticipate

same thing with steve's thing with fan filter and weird front intake. at the end of the day, massively throttling airflow and thermals is worth bringing attention to so people can weigh the pros and cons
everything he says in the ITX Reviews/PITA Factor section is perfectly sensible. i think some people overestimate their abilities going into an SFF build and with a mainstream audience especially it's important to warn everyone that the hobby is for insane perverts. defining sandwich layout is a very good touch to take care of the mainstream audience and reflects their responsible approach. but surely even the most tech-illiterate normies know that $180 is more than $80 and by how much (a price you can still get a nr200 at if you don't want to pay $100 for aesthetics). telling people what's a bad deal in cpus makes sense; telling them what's a bad deal in obviously intensely aesthetics-driven niche cases really doesn't

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

kliras posted:

The Terra case has been widely praised on other channels and reddit, and the first thing I thought when seeing it was "Wait...won't those panels fuckup the airflow" and welp, thanks to GN for actually doing the work.

edit: of course

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 20, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

my last fractal case had hosed up acoustics until i cut out the 120mm fan mounting rails from the front (which obstruct a 140mm fan) and they seem to have made the side panel of the terra entirely out of that shape

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems a lot of obstructions do that. Corsair put a 200mm front fan in the 650D, thinking they were clever because low RPM. Except for the circular hole pattern grid in front of it, which created some annoying howling sound. If the fan spun up faster, you'd think Airwolf was coming up on the horizon.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
so you gotta pretend the case has about 5mm less total clearance than it physically does. dunno why this is a dealbreaker for anyone

e: 23:30, if anyone missed him saying it very explicitly

e2: obviously this is very helpful information for people to have and they have done a service by producing the data

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 20, 2023

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems a lot of obstructions do that. Corsair put a 200mm front fan in the 650D, thinking they were clever because low RPM. Except for the circular hole pattern grid in front of it, which created some annoying howling sound. If the fan spun up faster, you'd think Airwolf was coming up on the horizon.

Uhh that sounds amazing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Combat Pretzel posted:

If the fan spun up faster, you'd think Airwolf was coming up on the horizon.

You make it sound as if it was a negative thing, which is clearly not.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The Terra case has been widely praised on other channels and reddit, and the first thing I thought when seeing it was "Wait...won't those panels fuckup the airflow" and welp, thanks to GN for actually doing the work.

It's a fine case overall, but the noise issue when fans are placed directly against the panel is definitely something not many other reviewers caught. (or not any at all?) It's an issue that can be planned around though, so it's nice to see the work done here to test multiple configurations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I appreciate a big channel flashing warnings about ITX and mini ITX builds because goddamn they can get more expensive than one would expect. Plus it sucks having to decipher the dimensions of a gpu and psu because the case I want is some off standard shape.

Younger dumber me almost bought an ITX case before I realized my gpu was like 2 cm too big in one dimension even though it fit in some other ITX boxes

E:

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope there's more news soon cause whew threads like these stink up real bad with in-fighting and slap fights about semantics real quick when there's nothing else to discuss and dissect

I was gonna post the same but GN saved the day with another incredibly nerdy video

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 20, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i bought an atx case, and there are still gpu's and motherboards that don't fit in it; nonsense like that means i'm only going to buy a complete sff build that someone else went through the hell of putting together and proving isn't a completely nightmare to assemble and maintain

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

And LMG wanted to try and compete against that. :cawg:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

are anechoic chambers particularly prone to ESD buildup or something

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Inept posted:

guy who has struggled to stay relevant since anand sold anandtech and everyone stopped caring about written tech articles

He was Anandtech's worst writer IMO. The contrast between his work and Anand's was quite jarring. Anand was so good at explaining deep technical concepts in a clear way that he was enjoyable to read even when what he was talking about was old hat to me. Then I'd click on an Ian Cutress article and immediately get lost in someone else's mental fog.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(also everyone should check out WKRP; some parts pf it definitely haven't aged well at all, but overall it's still a great sitcom and a bit of a time capsule of its day)

The end credits lyrics, only 80's kids will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAfXTzR2rQ

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kliras posted:

i bought an atx case, and there are still gpu's and motherboards that don't fit in it; nonsense like that means i'm only going to buy a complete sff build that someone else went through the hell of putting together and proving isn't a completely nightmare to assemble and maintain

Yeah, this has almost happened to me a few years in years past.

Now I’m back to just using a giant gently caress-off Fractal Torrent.

repiv posted:

are anechoic chambers particularly prone to ESD buildup or something

If designed correctly, yes.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Doing mITX builds actually saves me money, since I don't feel compelled to use all of the open PCIe slots on my motherboard. If I paid for four or five PCIe slots, goddammit I'm going to use all of them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It’s a great looking case and I want one for my NAS

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Micro-ATX is the best board size. All the features of ATX that you need, in a size that's much smaller. I don't even understand why ATX is still popular. Who is using all of the PCIE slots these days?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, this has almost happened to me a few years in years past.

Now I’m back to just using a giant gently caress-off Fractal Torrent.

The guys that built my PC knocked off $15 because the fractal is so easy to build in.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

beep by grandpa posted:

You're starting to sound really anti-semantic

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The end credits lyrics, only 80's kids will understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhAfXTzR2rQ

The best part about it is that the guy that did the song just did the vocal "scratch" track because he figured he'd do up some actual lyrics for it later, but the guy in charge of the show thought it was great as it was. Partially because CBS always had an announcer talking over the credits anyways, and partially because he figured it was what rock music probably sounds like to people who aren't rock music fans. :v:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

apatheticman posted:

The guys that built my PC knocked off $15 because the fractal is so easy to build in.

I swear by Fractal cases nowadays if only because of all of the quality of life features they have in them. They are so good. :swoon:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I swear by Fractal cases nowadays if only because of all of the quality of life features they have in them. They are so good. :swoon:

My most recent PC build was in a Fractal case (the Meshify 2 Compact) and I love it :allears:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Fractal does some innovative stuff, my untaid server is in a fractal case. Thing has so much room in it, and the hard drives are mounted in a vertical hanging position that maximizes room and allows me to easily cable everything. Super nice and definitely want to keep the case when I upgrade internals at some point in 5 years.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I bought a Fractal Node 304 to use for my truenas box and it's really nice except I realised the motherboard I was reusing is Micro-ATX and the case is Mini-ITX so it's been sitting in my storage unit since lmao

e: drat m-itx boards are pricey

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFlOYAWkuk

Please listen to this all :tipshat:

I've been listening to this on repeat most of this week. Good vibes. There's a bit at near the 7min mark that really conveys in music form how my heart feels about this very special game.

edit; wrong thread but i'm leaving it here w/e :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

this allusion meant posted:

everyone who is interested in custom SFF is interested on purpose; we aren't actually interested in doing a normal sized build but accidentally confused and looking at a niche product

kirbysuperstar posted:

e: drat m-itx boards are pricey