Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the cheapest emulator console/handheld out there right now? Just how low can you go? I've got a steam deck so I'm not super interested in anything else but I've been skimming the thread and wondering what the absolute bottom is, power and quality be damned. The best I've seen so far is the Powkiddy v90 for 40 bucks, capping at PS1 emulation looks like. Is there anything for 20 or 30 somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the cheapest emulator console/handheld out there right now? Just how low can you go? I've got a steam deck so I'm not super interested in anything else but I've been skimming the thread and wondering what the absolute bottom is, power and quality be damned. The best I've seen so far is the Powkiddy v90 for 40 bucks, capping at PS1 emulation looks like. Is there anything for 20 or 30 somehow?

Probably the DataFrog SF2000. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VxK63sT2hk

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
There are little famiclones on AliExpress for, like, five bucks. This is the first one I found:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms3xyN4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Russ’s 2S review is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKbgiyEr9JY

Basically what I was expecting. Performance close to the 3+, widescreen content is hard to see, sticks and triggers are nice, amazing 4:3 console for the price.

Kinda bummed to see the new start and select buttons are flush and apparently too clicky. Still gotta be miles away from having them on top of the thing.

Keeping my indigo preorder, excited to use it for all my older stuff that I don’t need the 3+ screen for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Those were what I was thinking and 15 for a turd or 4 bucks for a clone seems pretty unbeatable lol

Amazing it's so cheap now

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

Basically what I was expecting. Performance close to the 3+, widescreen content is hard to see, sticks and triggers are nice, amazing 4:3 console for the price.

Kinda bummed to see the new start and select buttons are flush and apparently too clicky. Still gotta be miles away from having them on top of the thing.

Keeping my indigo preorder, excited to use it for all my older stuff that I don’t need the 3+ screen for.
Yeah at $100+shipping (lol at Russ's shipping price) this sounds unbeatable in its price category, and it seems like it fulfills the "landscape handheld to get" function that the 351p did years ago. Let us know what you think when you get yours!

Looking at the size comparisons in the video, it looks most directly comparable to the RG405M, same resolution, same aspect ratio, but the 405M fits a 4" screen in there, but the 405M is also much heavier and more expensive due to being metal.

Zerot posted:

There are little famiclones on AliExpress for, like, five bucks. This is the first one I found:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms3xyN4

RBA Starblade posted:

Those were what I was thinking and 15 for a turd or 4 bucks for a clone seems pretty unbeatable lol

Amazing it's so cheap now
Yeah the cheap famiclones are basically a junk trap for anyone buying cheap retro portables off aliexpress or amazon, especially with the Data Frog at only $25 or so. Before the Data Frog there was the Family Pocket FC 3000 for about $20, an actual emulation handheld in the same price range as the famiclones, and it looks like the Data Frog is a good successor to that legacy, plus you can even mod or replace it's buttons: https://old.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/130wc5b/datafrog_sf2000_mods/jhzj5b7/

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 19, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I actually like Anbernic but the 405 is missing too much for its price point. The 4” screen is neat and the 618 is a good chip but that’s it. The shoulders, d-pad, weight, lack of interesting colors or plastic shells all pushing me to the RP2S.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They have those $10 junk in Walmart too. Soon they will find their way on to Target/TJMaxx/Marshall checkout racks.

I am all for it. $10 get you a taste of retro gaming and then people will get a good one on Aliexpress/Temu.

I still don't get how the Japanese gaming brands are not getting into this market. All Sega needs to do is make an Android device with Sega aesthetic and comes with one emulator. And the gamers can install other emulators. If Sega doesn't want to do it Konami should do it, they are practically out of the gaming market. Hell Kojima should make a console. I would buy a Kojima android console.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I still don't get how the Japanese gaming brands are not getting into this market.

It’s a really fast way to become persona non grata. Like yes we would like to piss off one or more of the biggest companies in our industry. There’s a reason the companies making explicit emulation handhelds have no other presence in the games industry.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah it's telling these are all coming either from Chinese companies(since China barely give a poo poo about IP laws) or if from American companies they're being marketed primarily as being portable PC's and/or are hobbyist projects(like the various Raspberry Pi powered handhelds)

Also regarding the cheaper handhelds, I feel like pretty much anything below either the Miyoo Mini or Anbernic RG35XX at this point is sacrificing too much in the name of price(though I could see the Data Frog being an exception if it gets some custom firmware to push its limits a bit harder)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

They have those $10 junk in Walmart too. Soon they will find their way on to Target/TJMaxx/Marshall checkout racks.

I am all for it. $10 get you a taste of retro gaming and then people will get a good one on Aliexpress/Temu.
Back in the Wii era there was a glut of importation of the extremely illegal N64 controller shaped "plug into a TV" famiclones, they were all over mall kiosks for the holiday buying season and even made their way into Frys before NIntendo noticed and brought the hammer down. Everyone took notice and that lead directly to the "Plug n Play TV Game" craze, the first of which were all just more famiclones stuffed in controller shells but with non-copyright infringing games, and eventually actual licensed games.

This led to the first wave of retro consoles, styled after ancient atari and colecovision and such systems, and often they were actually famiclones as well, just running brand new NES reproductions of the original games. Even to this day a lot of the mini arcade systems for really old games like Pac Man and Galaga and such are actually just famiclones running the NES versions, not emulators running the actual arcade roms. And yes, the same goes for the MyArcade and Retro Bit handhelds that fill up the Walmart bins for $10-20, all famiclones to this day.

Eventually of course this all led to the modern mini retro console era, which leads into our next point...

stephenthinkpad posted:

I still don't get how the Japanese gaming brands are not getting into this market. All Sega needs to do is make an Android device with Sega aesthetic and comes with one emulator. And the gamers can install other emulators. If Sega doesn't want to do it Konami should do it, they are practically out of the gaming market. Hell Kojima should make a console. I would buy a Kojima android console.
I'm not sure what you mean, Sega did get into this market, they made the Game Gear Mini.

Atari, Commodore, Nintendo, Sega, NEC, etc. have all made mini retro consoles. It is weird that Nintendo hasn't released a Gameboy Mini yet, sure, but when you're selling as many switches as you can make for 7 years I guess you need all the chip and LCD capacity you can get your hands on.

In addition, even companies that never made hardware have licensed plenty of their games to Blaze's Evercade and Super Pocket

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 20, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
^^^
What I mean is release a Sega retro control in android with play store so people can easily install other system emulators over wifi.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

stephenthinkpad posted:

^^^
What I mean is release a Sega retro control in android with play store so people can easily install other system emulators over wifi.

Why would they do that when selling you a custom thing is a) more profitable b) something they've seen success with and c) less likely to make other companies annoyed at you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sega doing that would mean absolutely torching their relationship with for sure Nintendo and probably also Sony for absolutely zero gain.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

^^^
Why would Sega spend a much greater cost per unit using the more powerful hardware and greater amount of ram that android requires and pay the microsoft android tax instead of just using the operating system and software they've already developed for their megadrive and gamegear minis? There's no incentive for them to do so.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
What's the vita capable of, emulation wise? I've not tried mine for replacing for years. The hat time I checked the vita version was pretty janky

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The Vita emulates PSP and PS1 flawlessly, and most consoles earlier than that very well, modulo a little weirdness on some more obscure or complex games. (Golden Sun, I'm looking at you!)
Doesn't do N64 well, and I've never tried (and wouldn't bother trying) Dreamcast.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I've seen people talking pretty happily about the newer versions of flycast in the last year or so, although I haven't tried it myself.

But yeah, snes/gba level should be pretty much fine, although for snes you'll probably have to spend a bit of time trying/looking up which core you should be using.

Probably the answer is different if you're after :siren:accuracy:siren:, whatever that might mean to you.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Russ's Ally review (I think?) had a shot of a bunch lined up on a shelf

yeah here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEvLOM3_lkY&t=641s

hell yeah

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Some of Russ’ older roundup videos when he was recording in his shed had shots of shelves of handhelds that were powerfully erotic.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thats like 3k worth of retro consoles on the cheapest $30 shelving.

He needs to thermal label on the sides of the consoles for fast retrieval.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What's the cheapest handheld that can do PS2/GC/Saturn era emulation to a decent level?

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Guess it’s gonna be an Odin, or maybe Deck.

RP2S comes so close, but I’m decrepit and need a bigger screen, and don’t want to need auto frame skip on every Saturn game (even if it shouldn’t be a big deal, stupid brain making me like this)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If it wasn’t for stupid brain we’d all just be playing games on whatever he had instead of posting here.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Get an used Odin. Some people will dump their Odin for the Odin 2.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Payndz posted:

What's the cheapest handheld that can do PS2/GC/Saturn era emulation to a decent level?

refurb deck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, used Odin or Odin 2 or a Deck are really your only options. The T618 devices can only really handle the lightest stuff.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I still just want a Logitech g cloud. I missed out on one for $150 on Mercari. It was gone before I could grab it. There are like 3 for $200 each but all from 0 score sellers and all in Texas so it seems suspicious to me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

baram. posted:

refurb deck

Yeah I gotta say this. The 64 gig version is just a steal.

The Odin is a lot more portable I’ll give it that but for me the deck is way more comfortable.

I do like my Odin and I’ve been using it a lot this week but the deck is just better imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ayaneo just announced the Pocket Air is using the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 as well, so this is apparently the next chip literally everyone’s got. Maybe that’ll be another option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Ayaneo just announced the Pocket Air is using the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 as well, so this is apparently the next chip literally everyone’s got. Maybe that’ll be another option.

Did they give a price though?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No, they’re apparently doing a full announcement stream at the end of the month.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Retroid rep on discord says 2S preorder shipping is resuming tomorrow, starting with the indigo and black orders, then retro stuff and the clears starting Wednesday.

Same guy that said all preorders would be out by now so heeeeyWHOKNOWS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

njsykora posted:

Some of Russ’ older roundup videos when he was recording in his shed had shots of shelves of handhelds that were powerfully erotic.

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: shots of shelves of handhelds that are powerfully erotic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

No, they’re apparently doing a full announcement stream at the end of the month.

If it’s in the $300 range I can give it a hard look. I kinda doubt it will be though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Saoshyant posted:

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: Hard Looks at shelves of handhelds that are powerfully erotic

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Apparently the bill of materials on the Pocket Air as it stands is over 2000 yuan with the MTK1200, which is around $275. I wouldn't be surprised with the presumably more expensive Snapdragon we'll see a price of $500, or maybe even $600 with some upsell options on specs (maybe one with lots of RAM, or one with a modem). Remember that the wifi Razer Edge is $400 for what is basically an 888. The Air 1S, which is a 7840U in the same chassis, starts at $800 with the early bird special.

I think with the Mediatek that pricing would be a non-starter but if they can get the 8 gen 2 out quickly while it's still reasonably current then they've got a good chip and the cooling to run it, so it'd be a possible high-end android console option, especially if they have a nice tv-out mode on it. I can also see an LCD model like they've done with the x86 Airs for significantly less later.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Odin 2 price post-IGG preorder is already confirmed at $400 if I remember right. So $500 with Ayaneo’s higher average priced devices sounds about right.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My indigo 2S has shipped :toot:

If my last experience with DHL is any indication it should be here this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
This guy has a very different form factor to the rest of the devices I've seen posted here, but I think it fits.

Playing some old text adventures on this guy would be pretty sweet.

They also have a variant which is more handheld console in nature.