Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Again, the original discussion point was whether or not cars can have solar panels and whether or not it would work.

You’ve moved the goalposts back to “it wouldn’t make sense” and now “poor people can’t afford it”. Neither of those have anything to do with whether or not a car can be built with solar panels and whether or not those solar panels would be sufficient to charge the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
To contribute, since someone linked to that student-built research car Stella, some of the students/people involved have spun out formed a business called Lightyear.

Wikipedia says that they shipped a very small handful of their first car, Lightyear 0, for about $300k a piece.

quote:

However, in January 2023 Lightyear announced that it was halting production of the 0 model, redirecting their efforts towards production of Lightyear 2; Atlas Technologies B.V., the subsidiary responsible for the manufacture of the Lightyear 0, would be allowed to go bankrupt.

AFAIK they are still working on that Lighttyear 2, are still hiring, and are taking preorders.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Jesus III posted:

Hahahahaha! You ever seen the apartments I'm talking about? Two floors, 100s of units? That's what I'm talking about. Lluxury apartments will totally have chargers if you are paying 3 grand a month (Dallas TX prices, btw I think that's a city), but 1000 a month places won't have that anytime soon and some bartender can't afford an EV. I'm sure you'll bring up bar tenders that make a million a year.

You can buy a brand new 2023 Chevvy Bolt for $19,995 in the US now with using the federal tax credit. Plenty of apartment dwellers and bartenders can afford that, thats not remotely a luxury vehicle price tag.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Blut posted:

You can buy a brand new 2023 Chevvy Bolt for $19,995 in the US now with using the federal tax credit. Plenty of apartment dwellers and bartenders can afford that, thats not remotely a luxury vehicle price tag.

Put a solar panel on it now, what does it cost? That's what the argument was about. But thanks for the tip. If I find someone who wants a car they can afford but can't charge at their apartment, I'll let them know.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My friend just bought an electric car while living in an apartment with no place to plug it in. Based on their driving habits they calculated they they would have to visit a charger somewhere every ~3 weeks and were fine with that. Then they drove it a while and found out that the 250-mile advertised range is actually more like 100 to 150 if you follow the manufacturer’s charging recommendations. So now there are negotiations with the landlord to add a charging circuit to an ancient building whose existing panels were described by an electrician as “widowmakers.”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there a bunch of tax credits or other incentives that building owners can use to reduce some of the costs?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Are there a bunch of tax credits or other incentives that building owners can use to reduce some of the costs?

Quick googling says the inflation reduction act provides a tax credit of 30% of the hardware and installation cost. If I was a landlord why would I do this for less than 100%? What’s the tenant going to do, complain? I’ve got a list of 10 other tenants who could immediately move in.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Quick googling says the inflation reduction act provides a tax credit of 30% of the hardware and installation cost. If I was a landlord why would I do this for less than 100%? What’s the tenant going to do, complain? I’ve got a list of 10 other tenants who could immediately move in.

Or you could charge more for your apartments to defray the costs! Those EV owners, on average, make more money and would be glad to pay!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I have had an EV for 1.5 years while living in an apartment. I charge at grocery stores, it's no big deal. There are two different sets of fast chargers within a 10 minute walk of my house, although sometimes I prefer the slow charger cause then I can just leave it there all day.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Have there not been companies springing up in the U.S. that are subscription-based charging stations? They've been all over Denmark for the past few years. They cost a bit more per kWh than using your own charger, but significantly less than paying retail. The company covers the installation and maintenance of the chargers, the landlord gets a kickback every month, and the users get chargers all over the place at reasonable prices plus a small monthly fee.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Jesus III posted:

Hahahahaha! You ever seen the apartments I'm talking about? Two floors, 100s of units? That's what I'm talking about. Lluxury apartments will totally have chargers if you are paying 3 grand a month (Dallas TX prices, btw I think that's a city), but 1000 a month places won't have that anytime soon and some bartender can't afford an EV. I'm sure you'll bring up bar tenders that make a million a year.

Are you aware that D&D doesn't mean derision and dismissiveness in the context of these forums?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Are you aware that D&D doesn't mean derision and dismissiveness in the context of these forums?

I am pretty dismissive when people think putting solar panels on cars in the near future is a good idea. You've got me there. A big fault that I need to work on. Perhaps we should have a discussion about why some people are bad because of the fast food they like?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Jesus III posted:

Plus, it's very much a sellers market. Landlords can charge high rents without putting in electric car chargers, there is little reason to invest in any sort of upgrade when you already have your pick of tenants. At most they will install them in a few spots and charge hundreds of dollars a month to park in them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lmfao @ thinking that landlords will do anything that isn't going to make them more money in the next two months.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There might come a day when electric outlets for EVs become as ubiquitous as parking spaces, at which point landlords will begrudgingly install them in apartments.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is there a good neutral source for figuring out what kind of solar installation is worth it on your own home? I've been trying to figure out lately whether I should spend money on solar panels, and if so, how much, but it's hard to get information from sources that aren't also selling it (admittedly it's also hard because you're basically asking people to tell you the future).

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Public transport :angel:

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

niethan posted:

Public transport :angel:

The best form of self driving car

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Chronojam posted:

There are J1772 extension cords and they're nowhere near $2000.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave a cord like that just laying on the ground.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Something kinda funny popped up in my news feeds the other day. I’m just posting it here cause it’s kinda tech related in that it’s enabled by tech (full-self driving car taxis without chaperone/safety drivers): people are having sex in them.

https://sfstandard.com/2023/08/11/san-francisco-robotaxi-cruise-debauchery/

quote:

As autonomous vehicles become increasingly popular in San Francisco, some riders are wondering just how far they can push the vehicles’ limits—especially with no front-seat driver or chaperone to discourage them from questionable behavior.

For some, that’s a welcome invitation to test the autonomous vehicles’ limits. Megan, a woman in her 20s, took her first robotaxi ride on a recent late-night excursion. It was also her first time having sex in a driverless vehicle. The Standard is not providing exact dates of the riders’ debauchery to protect their privacy but has verified the rides took place through documentation. Names have been changed because of the riders’ privacy concerns.

“We got in and just got straight to it, making out,” said Megan, who got into the Cruise wearing nothing but a robe. “One thing led to another, and he made sure that I was taken care of, if you will. … I was like, ‘I have no underwear on, and I am ready to go in this kimono.’ And I was using his slippers that were like five sizes too big.”

Her accomplice? A man in his 30s, whom we’ll call Alex. By his estimates, Alex has performed at least six separate sex acts in robotaxis, ranging from impromptu make-out sessions to “full-on [sex], no boundaries activities” a total of three times in a Cruise car.

“I mean, there's no one to tell you, ‘You can't do that,’” he said, laughing. “It gets to the point where you're more and more and more comfortable, and if you're with someone, like a more serious partner, it can escalate to other activities.”

Kinda funny but I guess not unexpected. I assume rich people with personal drivers do it all the time but now random goons who download an app can do it too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jen heir rick posted:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to leave a cord like that just laying on the ground.

They're explicitly designed to be left laying on the ground in all weather, and run over by cars. Including the connector handle.

Obviously if you can hook the end on something or keep it in a dry box it's better long-term, but outdoor EV charging stations in everyday parking lots has been a thing for a long time now.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'd struggle to walk in a pair of slippers 5 sizes too big, so well done for that, I guess

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Chronojam posted:

They're explicitly designed to be left laying on the ground in all weather, and run over by cars. Including the connector handle.

Obviously if you can hook the end on something or keep it in a dry box it's better long-term, but outdoor EV charging stations in everyday parking lots has been a thing for a long time now.

I think there is a misunderstanding, the charger station itself could have an outdoor rated lead allowed to hang on the ground when in use (and hung in its holder when not) but they are talking about running power out to where the car parks. There is no electrical standard in the world that just lets you run permanently installed cable on the ground. At the very least put it in some cable tray (for ease of maintenance) or bury it to standard so it does not look like arse..

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Kinda funny but I guess not unexpected. I assume rich people with personal drivers do it all the time but now random goons who download an app can do it too.

So is that called joining the . . . ground-level club or something?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Chronojam posted:

As an electrical PE, I would be very curious to see the spec for how many times these things are rated to be run over by a car, because I'm very doubtful that it's the intent for them to just be laid across a driveway unprotected

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something kinda funny popped up in my news feeds the other day. I’m just posting it here cause it’s kinda tech related in that it’s enabled by tech (full-self driving car taxis without chaperone/safety drivers): people are having sex in them.

https://sfstandard.com/2023/08/11/san-francisco-robotaxi-cruise-debauchery/

I’m surprised there hasn’t been any stories around employees sharing footage of customers having sex in their robot cars.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

roffles posted:

I’m surprised there hasn’t been any stories around employees sharing footage of customers having sex in their robot cars.

I think there’s only two companies that are allowed to operate fully autonomous robotaxis in the US: Waymo and Cruise. The former is owned by Google, the latter GM. Both are big boy companies presumably with a functional legal department, unlike Tesla who’s employees do/did share privately recorded video taken from the car’s cameras.

E: Looks like a 3rd company might also be operational, called Zoox, owned by Amazon.

E2: To be clear I’m not saying Google, GM, and Amazon can’t do wrong. I’m just saying those are companies headed by legit business people with fully functional legal and compliance departments and whatnot. Unlike Tesla, which is headed by a 5 year old child surrounded by yes-men.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 15, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Amazon had those Alexa recording leaks so it's not like Amazon is any better.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Give it a year or two

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Papercut posted:

As an electrical PE, I would be very curious to see the spec for how many times these things are rated to be run over by a car, because I'm very doubtful that it's the intent for them to just be laid across a driveway unprotected

To be fair, the poster never specified that they had to be functional afterwards.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
A quick search shows, a lot of people on random forums saying yeah you can run over extension cables, and a lot of safety boards and government places saying please, please don't run over your extension cables.

I would say it definitely falls under a thing you can probably do but really shouldn't.

For example a Texas government safety at working when using extension cords fact sheet with it explicitly listed under things not to do:

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/videoresource/fsextcords.pdf

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aren't there ramp-plates specifically for laying over cords so you can run over them?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Aren't there ramp-plates specifically for laying over cords so you can run over them?

Yeah, I don't think there that uncommon. Pretty sure plenty of construction sites and the such would use them.
https://www.nationalsafetyproducts.com.au/category/ground-cable-protection/

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Papercut posted:

Well they're still an extension cable, not a structural piece meant to literally be squished everyday. The idea is you just have a long-rear end EVSE cable stretched on your lawn or driveway when in use.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If you buy a cord actually intended to be driven over, there's no particular reason to think they're lying to you. Ground pressures on cars/trucks aren't particularly high, it's the same as the tire pressure. Even a semi truck or a city bus is only ~130psi or less. That will destroy something with a basic jacket, but you can get that kind of crush resistance out of plastic armor, you don't even need metal. It's not free in terms of either cost or cable flexibility, but it isn't hard to design or incredibly expensive either.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.

dr_rat posted:

A quick search shows, a lot of people on random forums saying yeah you can run over extension cables, and a lot of safety boards and government places saying please, please don't run over your extension cables.

Not an emptyquote.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/08/01/ukraines-latest-weapons-in-its-war-with-russia-3d-printed-bombs

A story about Ukraine's home made drone delivered bombs. This has everything, from drones to 3d printing and even... ChatGPT.

quote:

Hand grenades are designed to be thrown, so they are light. But when they are dropped from drones, this can be a drawback. With a typical weight of just 300 grams, grenades are short on “killing power”, says a man nicknamed “Lyosha”, who is an amateur weapons-maker based in Kyiv. After one goes off, he says, targeted Russian soldiers “often just keep running”.

Three months ago Lyosha and a group of friends, working in their homes, designed an alternative: an 800-gram anti-personnel bomb called the “Zaychyk”, or “Rabbit”. The group uses 3d printing to produce the bomb’s casing, before sending it to be filled with C4, an explosive, and pieces of steel shrapnel. In tests, Lyosha says, this shrapnel cuts into wooden planks “like butter”.

quote:

Bomb techies hope to extend the kill radius still further. Some “candy shops” use software to model the killing potential of different shrapnel types and mounting angles relative to the charge, says one soldier in Kyiv with knowledge of their efforts. Chatgpt, an ai language model, is also queried for engineering tips (suggesting that the efforts of Openai, Chatgpt’s creator, to prevent these sorts of queries are not working).

Errrrrr I'm not sure if I would trust the language model on this, but then I have never tried 3d printing bombs so what do I know.

(Also I appreciate it how the Economist is sharing technical tips to domestics terrorists everywhere...)

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Nenonen posted:

(Also I appreciate it how the Economist is sharing technical tips to domestics terrorists everywhere...)

No need... theres already probably ads for firearms in the pages that seem to be the weapons of choice for American lunatics.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like the phase " amateur weapons-maker".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
artisanal bomb builder