Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Serephina posted:

Adaptive difficulties are great... if you can turn them off. In the context of retro fps', the really need to be quite explicit about it before the game begins, as I suspect most of us might not want to realize halfway through the game.

:hmmyes:

although RE4 is one of the few games that really gets it right imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Combine that with the stealth bonus for a 16x damage multiplier, which I believe comes to 2,400 damage with the railgun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

I get a kick out of how speedrunners for RE4 (at least for classic) have to put it on Professional for their runs, where everything is as hard as possible, because otherwise it's just wildly unpredictable.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Convex posted:

I fixed the mouse acceleration, fov and weapon size using some ini changes, after which it played pretty well. The airdrop system is one of the best points about the game imo

edit: also a great soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc_51wSPtQ

All of Michael Giacchino’s Medal of Honor work is brilliant.

nemesis_hub posted:

What do you guys think are the best WW2 single-player campaigns?

Wolfenstein 3D.

I am not joking. I revisit it regularly, blasting Nazis (and loving Hitler in a mech suit) does not get old.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

kirbysuperstar posted:

The cod campaigns definitely have a lot of people who only play them, just look at the response to the time they tried to forego one

I play the cod campaigns :smith:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

site posted:

I play the cod campaigns :smith:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
probably worth skipping advanced warfare though

Convex fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 20, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
also 2012's special guest star himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuc59EkfexA

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think my favourite COD campaign is Black Ops 1 because you can play Zork if you mess around in the menu

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

nemesis_hub posted:

What do you guys think are the best WW2 single-player campaigns? I've played the first Medal of Honor and Call of Duty but that's it. Have there been any really great FPS campaigns set in that time period since then?

I don't have a ton of WW2 games under my belt, but CoD United Offensive really stood out.

Convex posted:

This is the thing, RE4 was a methodically paced survival horror game, action-y as it also was. The only other working example I can think of is Left4Dead's AI Director. Dynamic difficulty seems great for balancing tension vs. challenge, but it seems ill-suited to more straightforward, fast-paced shooters.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 20, 2023

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was also thinking about the fact that Night Dive's restoration makes the game look like I "remembered" it looking in the 90's; I figured the cosmetic changes were simple until I saw them side-by-side in the DigitalFoundry video and realized just how primitive the originals looked by comparison. It's the same thing that happened with the Quake remaster actually: they managed to update everything without anything sticking out as a redesign rather than a revamp, which is (once again) really impressive to me.

I can't speak for ND on this one, but for the id projects the guiding principle I've been using and pitching to anyone who will listen to me is exactly that: these releases should look like how you remember them looking, not how they actually are. I think the dynamic shadows is really the only thing that we've done that stretches credibility there, but even the orig Quake and Quake 2 had the silly OpenGL shadows with the fixed light angles, plus it looks cool. Most of what we did in Q2 could've been done at the time with a high end PC in 1999, not 1997. A lot of it was even available in contemporary engines like Half-Life and SIN a year later.

When you do it right, people won't even realize the game is different. It feels counter-intuitive and that your work is a waste of time, but you'll still feel the improvements in how much you are enjoying playing it.

For me, the game that really crystalized this idea for me was Ocarina of Time 3D for the 3DS. I basically hadn't played OOT since it came out, so when I saw the 3D versions I thought "huh yea this looks like a 3D version of an N64 game" until I realized what the original actually looked like. SM64 DS was another great example of this, but with less time in between.

It's a bit tougher to do this with Doom and Doom 2 due to compatibility reasons, but also with how much Doom is still played and relevant today, people *do* actually remember what the game looks like. There's not a ton I'd do though given free reign besides maybe trim up the levels and fix some texture alignments.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CoD1 and United Offensive on PC. CoD2 is good too. CoD World at War is quite decent. CoDWWII felt awful to play imo so the WW2 side of things is CoD+United Offensive, CoD2 and World at War.

For Medal of Honor I'd say thar Allied Assault and the two expansion packs, and the PS1 ones (emulated with dual sticks) are the best ones. MoH on PS1 have this nostalgic factor and can be played easily on any system.

As for CoD general campaigns for me CoD4, MW2, Black Ops 1 and 2 and MW2019 are cool. Infinite Warfare wasn't bad but I'll never replay it because Titanfall 2 does everything better and I didn't like the flying missions on IW.

Then there's RTCW, Wolfenstein 2009, Wolfenstein The New Order and The Old Blood all great. Beat Youngblood and didn't hate it but wasn't good enough and Wolfenstein II TNC didn't hit me like New Order and Old Blood.

A Nightdive/Machine Games remaster of Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a thing I didn't think about and I'd like to see now.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 20, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I just got to this too, after finishing the other expansions + Dimension of the Past, and it feels like they really buried the lede. There are so many new textures here, new design elements, and obvious use of extra polygons, that it feels like an alternate Quake 2 or something. Although my understanding is it's still just the length of a single episode.
yea it's i think 6 levels split into 3 themes. still really cool. although call of the machine in Q2 is even better IMO

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I just want Wolf '09 to be available to buy at all again.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Finished Ground Zero today. The boss fight was surprisingly good considering what a plodding shitshow the majority of the campaign was, at least on Hard. You can't cheese her with powerups because whatever powerups you use, she will mirror with her own. With the 27000-ish hitpoints she has on nightmare, though, :rubby:

Overall, Ground Zero is like a weird cargo cult version of Quake II where there is plenty of technical skill and they can imitate the look and some of the feel of Quake II but every decision is deeply perverse. In fact, I think such perversity in gameplay and level design seems like a constant for them from Strife through Dissolution of Eternity through Ground Zero. In Quake II the hubs steer you around pretty well, in Ground Zero they're all Hexen-like random sprawls without Hexen's sense of atmosphere or texture variety (and if your game has less texture variety than Hexen, you already have a problem). Expansion packs are supposed to be hard, so we will do hard things like turrets that make you play peek-a-boo with them and enemies with a zillion hitpoints and all sorts of things that increase Quake II's tedium and frustration factor but not its gameplay depth or fun value.

By contrast, going back to Call of the Machine and it still refuses to disappoint, Operation Corpse Run is perfect all the way through, Call of the Machine doesn't take itself very seriously and I think that is a relief after the leaden po-facedness of the original game and its expansions. It is not afraid to set up wacky gameplay scenarios or absurdly violent staged encounters at the expense of breaking ~*immersion*~ in the ~*lore*~. Mowing down dozens of hitscanners with the railguns like bowling pins? Awesome! Crazy multistage boss arenas where you have to use your powerups to clear space to work with in actually fighting the bosses? Yes, please! Suddenly, it's the moon and an entirely new texture set? :vince:

(what happened to the chef approval smilie? Can't find it for some reason)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 20, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Deakul posted:

works on my ps3 :getin: (20~ fps)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Finished Ground Zero today. The boss fight was surprisingly good considering what a plodding shitshow the majority of the campaign was, at least on Hard. You can't cheese her with powerups because whatever powerups you use, she will mirror with her own. With the 27000-ish hitpoints she has on nightmare, though, :rubby:

Overall, Ground Zero is like a weird cargo cult version of Quake II where there is plenty of technical skill and they can imitate the look and some of the feel of Quake II but every decision is deeply perverse. In fact, I think such perversity in gameplay and level design seems like a constant for them from Strife through Dissolution of Eternity through Ground Zero. In Quake II the hubs steer you around pretty well, in Ground Zero they're all Hexen-like random sprawls without Hexen's sense of atmosphere or texture variety (and if your game has less texture variety than Hexen, you already have a problem). Expansion packs are supposed to be hard, so we will do hard things like turrets that make you play peek-a-boo with them and enemies with a zillion hitpoints and all sorts of things that increase Quake II's tedium and frustration factor but not its gameplay depth or fun value.

By contrast, going back to Call of the Machine and it still refuses to disappoint, Operation Corpse Run is perfect all the way through, Call of the Machine doesn't take itself very seriously and I think that is a relief after the leaden po-facedness of the original game and its expansions. It is not afraid to set up wacky gameplay scenarios or absurdly violent staged encounters at the expense of breaking ~*immersion*~ in the ~*lore*~. Mowing down dozens of hitscanners with the railguns like bowling pins? Awesome! Crazy multistage boss arenas where you have to use your powerups to clear space to work with in actually fighting the bosses? Yes, please! Suddenly, it's the moon and an entirely new texture set? :vince:

(what happened to the chef approval smilie? Can't find it for some reason)

it's :discourse: now for some reason

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I finished playing Quake 1's main campaign last night! I overall had a really good time and I'm looking forward to trying out the expansion packs and especially Dimension of the Past and Dimension of the Machine.

Spawns suck rear end though. Absolute dogshit enemy, it's way too fast for what it is, there's way too many of them, and the damage they deal when they die is ridiculous. The only plus is that if they're grouped together and you kill one, the whole group dies. They're not a fun enemy at all. Vores are probobly my second-least favorite enemy, solely because the homing capability of their projectiles is too effective, but at least they're large, mostly stationary, and I usually save my Thunderbolt ammo for them (and Shambers, but I also try to save up at least *some* nail ammo to unload with the super nailgun if I've got it). Despite my own dislike of them, they still just work as a high-tier enemy alongside shamblers. Spawns were a mistake though. Maybe they could be somewhat salvaged with the right level setup, but a lot of that stuff in Episode 4 was just not good at all, with E4M6 being the worst showcase for spawns, period. Just awful.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
just look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J65Vr_FTwQg

:perfect:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vores you can at least game by timing their flinches to interrupt their attacks, and they’re very easy to draw into infights, especially in the expansions where they’ve been placed with that in mind. Spawns are just “did you get the drop on it with a one-hit kill? No? gently caress you”

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

btw, is the amount of infighting increased in the machinegames expansions? because i never saw that kind of infighting in either base campaign of Q1 & Q2, but suddenly in call of the machine and dimension of the machine, there was way more infighting and friendly fire

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I started.... some quake 2 mission last night and I'm stuck in an endless sewer. Story of my life. I worry I will never again see the sun

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Guillermus posted:

A Nightdive/Machine Games remaster of Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a thing I didn't think about and I'd like to see now.

That'd be amazing. It doesn't need much, but fixing the stealth missions would be a godsend. And I would loving love a Machine Games RtCW expansion!

I enjoyed several CoD campaigns, though the last one I played was BO1. I really liked World at War and Black Ops, I thought those were good campaigns. I really liked CoD2's British campaign, the Russian campaign was ok, but I never finished the American campaign. MW1 was pretty good, MW2 was ok but I didn't love it. I need to go and replay the Medal of Honor games. I don't remember super loving large swathes of Allied Assault and I never finished the paratrooper expansion, but I did like the expansion set in Italy. Pacific Assault was ok, except for the loving awful flying level holy poo poo. I really liked Airborne though, the front half holds up better but I thought everything but the final level was pretty good. I played the first of the modern day reboot, and it works, everything functions, but at the same time it just... does nothing? It's the first time I ever described a game as soulless, just an empty feeling as you're going through what should be interesting, exciting missions. I have no idea how they did that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Woolie Wool posted:

With the 27000-ish hitpoints she has on nightmare, though, :rubby:

Ground Zero's final boss was the only one where, after dying five or six times in a row, I ultimately formed a gameplan for the order in which I would use weapons and power ups for both of her phases, because she's totally a brute on the hardest difficulty. Like you mentioned, her ability to mirror the power-ups you're using is an interesting way to address players potentially being too "OP" otherwise.

spongeh posted:

When you do it right, people won't even realize the game is different. It feels counter-intuitive and that your work is a waste of time, but you'll still feel the improvements in how much you are enjoying playing it.

Definitely, and that's exactly what I experienced with both Quake remasters; it's totally nailed.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:v:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Friendly reminder that the Vore homing projectile speed was only reduced after it made Romero absolutely furious. Sandy’s initial speed was much higher

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

For Q2 best we can do is the hyperblaster

e: a weapon I actually like for long hallways

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

Friendly reminder that the Vore homing projectile speed was only reduced after it made Romero absolutely furious. Sandy’s initial speed was much higher

If only Romero was absolutely furious about the existence of Spawns as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's best place to do the kill 10 enemies achievement with the scythe soul mode?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm still partial to RTCW's Venom Gun, which fires so quickly it makes people explode into blood & bones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i gotta get this poo poo working on steam deck

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's best place to do the kill 10 enemies achievement with the scythe soul mode?

The first episode spawns more than 10 enemies around you (if you include the faraway melee ones that take a few seconds to catch up to you) right when you pick up the scythe for the first time. Is it possible that you hold off on picking it up until you've gotten enough souls to activate the soul mode immediately after picking up the scythe?

:sickos:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The first episode spawns more than 10 enemies around you (if you include the faraway melee ones that take a few seconds to catch up to you) right when you pick up the scythe for the first time. Is it possible that you hold off on picking it up until you've gotten enough souls to activate the soul mode immediately after picking up the scythe?

:sickos:

Do you know what the hidden achievements are?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do you know what the hidden achievements are?

Yeah apparently one is called "Indefatigable" and involves finding three well-hidden objects throughout the DLC (guide here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3022210533)

The other is called "Cold Fire" and involves fighting a well-hidden creature in the second level ("Mystic Shrine", guide here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3022037138)

I have not achieved either of these things yet.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh cool. I found the cube on my own. Other than the secret in the last stage probably my best find

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

nemesis_hub posted:

What do you guys think are the best WW2 single-player campaigns? I've played the first Medal of Honor and Call of Duty but that's it. Have there been any really great FPS campaigns set in that time period since then?

Wolfenstein 2009, the greatest Nazi Murder Simulator ever made aside from maybe the Sniper Elite games

Deakul posted:

Hopefully soon

Yup game has an almost perfect arsenal, though if it were up to me I'd swap out the assault rifle for some sort of shotgun or maybe a proper machine gun

Also one thing I always have appreciated about the Particle Cannon is that they give you ammo for it frequently enough that you can use it with a decent amount of regularity without having to worry too much that you'll be without it when you really need it

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Black Ops 2 had the most interesting integrations of player choice into a single-player FPS game that I've ever seen. This is bizarre, considering it's the game with Oliver loving North, a setpiece gunfight at a Skrillex concert, and a goddamn Avenged Sevenfold concert in the post-credits scene.

What's cool is that the game doesn't necessarily signpost the moments are big player decisions. You just play the section and your action changes the plot. The big one is when you're tricked into shooting the protagonist of the first BLOPS. I shot him in the head, out of habit. It turns out if I'd shot the guy in the leg he would have survived, and the plot would have turned out differently. Nothing telegraphs this as a point where the plot diverges, and that's kind of neat. I've never seen a game since then do that. It's always a menu choice or set up very explicitly as a decision.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh cool. I found the cube on my own. Other than the secret in the last stage probably my best find

The "Cold Fire" one is funny and you'll definitely appreciate it once you realize what it's referencing; I just did it

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

DrankSinatra posted:

I've never seen a game since then do that. It's always a menu choice or set up very explicitly as a decision.

Alpha Protocol had a shitload of that, to the extent it harmed it in reviews as most reviewers assumed the game was incredibly linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arivia posted:

it's :discourse: now for some reason

It's been that for years I'm pretty sure