Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fuschia tude posted:

What would that even possibly be? Someone who just openly murders people?

There’s an argument to be made that DeSantis would have the same horrible opinions on minorities and the poor but be more effective at making GBS threads on them given how successful he’s been in doing so in Florida.

It’s a moot argument given that DeSantis will not be the nominee ever, but it’s an argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Trump is no slouch in the hiring nazis for government jobs department but I think DeSantis would beat him

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

Trump is no slouch in the hiring nazis for government jobs department but I think DeSantis would beat him

I mean he does have his actual army of brownshirts now so...

Thankfully DeSantis's popularity is limited largely to Florida.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fuschia tude posted:

What would that even possibly be? Someone who just openly murders people?

Someone who knows better but pardons Trump so he can run again.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Youngkin is the one we need to be afraid of. He’s a younger more eloquent trump with the religion amped up to a million.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The big thing with Trump was always the worry that after he fell a newer, competent fascist would rise in his place.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone able to appeal to Trumpists (The people that control GOP primaries) is almost by definition going to repel everyone else. I just don't think there's a plausible candidate that can both win a Republican primary on the national level and also perform better than Trump has in the last two elections.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My bet is that if and when Trump actually falls the rest of the REpublicans will tear themselves apart fighting for his "legacy" and accusing each other of conspiring to betray him and so forth. I doubt any one candidate will recapture the 'magic."

Still that Ramaswamy guy is the one scaring me at the moment. He has charm and brains and he's an absolute horrorshow.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Pillowpants posted:

Youngkin is the one we need to be afraid of. He’s a younger more eloquent trump with the religion amped up to a million.

There are two pieces of good news, there - the first is that Youngkin will never survive a GOP primary because he’s too eloquent and non-rabid for the GOP, and unless the national party does what the local party did and holds a private convention and ignores all of the primary results to make sure he’s the nominee, he’ll lose to any Trumpist. Or, as was said already:

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Anyone able to appeal to Trumpists (The people that control GOP primaries) is almost by definition going to repel everyone else. I just don't think there's a plausible candidate that can both win a Republican primary on the national level and also perform better than Trump has in the last two elections.

The second piece of good news is that as soon as he got elected, all of his eloquence and dog-whistling turned straight into “no abortions or gay rights ever” and his approvals dropped a bunch,, and have only recovered in the last few months because he’s done nothing and said nothing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My bet is that if and when Trump actually falls the rest of the REpublicans will tear themselves apart fighting for his "legacy" and accusing each other of conspiring to betray him and so forth. I doubt any one candidate will recapture the 'magic."

This is exactly what will happen. The cult are lifers at this point. The fact that Trump was ever in office was a perfect storm of poo poo I can't imagine ever happening again, and between Trump being so uniquely and spectacularly a piece of poo poo and failure, but also a stupid criminal, but also also having some weird degree of magnetism for a subset of truly insane and reprehensible people, blended finally with the fact that the Republican establishment hasn't cut bait yet...

Yeah I don't see any other outcome.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The best hope for the GOP is to somehow get a highly visible celebrity who can dog whistle the Trumpists and coast in on name recognition alone. Any Republican politician at this point is stuck with a voting / policy record that will disgust the majority of Americans.

But I can't really think of anyone that could fit the bill. Apparently Denzel Washington is pretty conservative and a deeply religious person. I have no idea what his politics are but if he's secretly a chud he could be dangerous if he leaned on the Jesus stuff. Someone with his reputation could have the media eating out of his hands. Complete speculation of course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The GOP could "solve" its problem in as little as four years, because all you need is someone with as little regard for political orthodoxy as Trump, and Trump definitively out of the way. The generation of politicians who have been obsequious to him (and therefore are not believable as his critics) is also almost out of the way.

DeSantis is just too normal a politician to master the art of ranting like an unhinged maniac onstage, even if we'd all get the same or worse under President DeSantis. No one cares that he's been running to the right of Trump or how many babies he kisses, they need to see Buzz Windrip again.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
The Rock is apparently fairly conservative in general, but I dunno if he goes in on this Trump poo poo or not.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

He's far too much of a liberal elite for most Trumpers since he's an actor for sure. They absolutely will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Failboattootoot posted:

The Rock is apparently fairly conservative in general, but I dunno if he goes in on this Trump poo poo or not.
He endorsed Biden in 2020, so at the very least he isn't a Trump fan.

The only pro-Trump entertainers I can recall don't come across as electable. I can't imagine James Woods or Robert Davi connecting with voters, Hulk Hogan has an n-word tape, I doubt even most stereotypical "boomer" conservative is going to treat Scott Baio as a god, etc.

A big boost to Trump's image was a "reality show" (The Apprentice) where careful editing allowed him to be portrayed as an effective, no-nonsense leader.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2023

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Apparently Denzel Washington is pretty conservative and a deeply religious person. I have no idea what his politics are but if he's secretly a chud he could be dangerous if he leaned on the Jesus stuff. Someone with his reputation could have the media eating out of his hands. Complete speculation of course.

I feel like there might be a problem with Denzel as a GOP candidate, I can't quite put my finger on it...:godwinning:

Enver Zogha posted:

The only pro-Trump actors I can recall don't come across as electable. I can't imagine James Woods or Robert Davi connecting with voters, Hulk Hogan has an n-word tape, I doubt even most stereotypical "boomer" conservative is going to treat Scott Baio as a god, etc.

We are in the middle of elections for SAG and I got a mailer for an "Independent" group of candidates. The moment I saw Rob Schneider, Robert Davi and Dr. Drew's smug mugs in the group I laughed and ripped the flyer up before recycling. Good luck, guys!

They were paired with Elliott Gould and Esai Morales, which is a bummer. I sure hope they aren't bird of a feather.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 20, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Enver Zogha posted:

He endorsed Biden in 2020, so at the very least he isn't a Trump fan.

The only pro-Trump entertainers I can recall don't come across as electable. I can't imagine James Woods or Robert Davi connecting with voters, Hulk Hogan has an n-word tape, I doubt even most stereotypical "boomer" conservative is going to treat Scott Baio as a god, etc.

A big boost to Trump's image was a "reality show" (The Apprentice) where careful editing allowed him to be portrayed as an effective, no-nonsense leader.

What about that Tarzan guy, isn't he a huge chud?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure. Or someone who openly says black people / Jews are subhuman and should be purged from society. Trump is way more blatant about his sociopathy than your average Republican, but there is still a lot of room for worse.

Is that really different than what Trump said about Mexicans and South Americans?

Zamujasa posted:

The big thing with Trump was always the worry that after he fell a newer, competent fascist would rise in his place.

There's no such thing as a competent fascist. And as we're seeing with DeSantis, people don't want a "Trump, but boring." Trump supporters support him because he's incompetent and aggressive and unstable and offensive. They love that he rants about the conservative topic du jour and speaks off the cuff and says what they're thinking and fails to accomplish basic things—which is just proof that the Deep State et al. are out to get him, just like they've been oppressed their whole lives, too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

James Garfield posted:

scuttlebutt is that he's doing a decent job of making GBS threads up florida state agencies, so

and that's aside from trying to convert the state guard into his personal brownshirts

Still that Ramaswamy guy is the one scaring me at the moment. He has charm and brains and he's an absolute horrorshow.

I'm morbidly curious to see how many of the worst people in the GOP buy his takes on why him being a Hindu is okay. They're a combination of theologically solid (if generic and mainstream, the best kind of theologically solid) arguments and "sure, i'm not white and not quite christian, but my horrible political beliefs are identical to yours and I pretend they're religious because I'm an rear end in a top hat".

It's a different pitch from Tulsi Gabbard, not that I'd mind them both suddenly deciding that they need to move to a mountaintop monastery and never be heard from again.

:negative:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 20, 2023

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

mobby_6kl posted:

What about that Tarzan guy, isn't he a huge chud?
You mean Hercules guy? Kevin Sorbo is indeed a Trump supporter, but from what I've seen he laments that "the Left" are the real angry, hateful, divisive people whereas good Christians like himself are calm and compassionate and tolerant and [insert all nice happy things here]. He doesn't seem to possess the sort of "yeah I'm an rear end in a top hat, go gently caress yourself you dumb libs :smug: " energy that Trump has a lock on and which DeSantis tries to tap into.

Chuck Norris is another example of this. He endorsed Trump, but he doesn't seem especially "Trumpian," just more of a generic "oh boy I sure do love Jesus Christ" Evangelical conservative who isn't capable of pulling off the reactionary demagogue "populist" shtick.

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 21, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Friendly reminder that we have an entire thread for GOP primarychat

Elsewhere, Marcy Wheeler takes the releases surrounding Twitter's objections to the warrant to mock Twitter, cable news lawyers, and (relevant for the thread) speculate on what we know about the 40 warrants Trump whined about in DC court as a part of the push for a late trial date.

First, :lol: Musk

quote:

THE COURT: So just like Twitter doesn’t know much about the warrant here at all, and has only seen a small sliver of the entire warrant package, do you think that it strains credulity to believe the incremental disclosure of this order would somehow alter the current balance of public knowledge in any meaningful way?

MR. BERNSTEIN: Absolutely not, Your Honor.

quote:

THE COURT: So do you want to respond to that? — to Twitter’s comment that there is no reason to believe notification would suddenly cause Trump or potential confederates to destroy evidence, intimidate witnesses, or to flee prosecution, or are you waiting on that for an ex parte submission?

MR. BERNSTEIN: We are waiting. But I can give Your Honor two responses in the meantime.

First, they don’t know anything. I mean, they know some stuff. They know what they have read in the newspapers. But they’re making these confident factual assertions without knowing the actual facts of the investigation.

Number two, they have cited a number of news articles. They seem to have a robust understanding of what is in the public record. They seem to be ignoring the fact that there is an entirely separate public investigation into the former President for doing just that, for taking obstructive efforts with respect to NARA’s request to retrieve classified documents, and then the government — the grand jury’s request to subpoena classified documents from the former President, and the steps that he took to obstruct those efforts. So there will be considerably more detail about the basis for the NDO when we brief this issue.

For now, though, the assertion that they’re making, one, is not based on any factual foundation that they could possibly be aware of; and then, second, to the extent that they are able to ascertain details from the public record, they seem to be ignoring those details.
As a bit of context for the warrants, Marcy has been hammering for more than a year that any commentary about Justice's progress that doesn't center on the known warrants is worthless and made by an idiot. It certainly makes her better than most cable news laywers who spent 2023 chirping that nothing was happening, but at times she seems to forget that better than those idiots isn't the same as good. There's probably some merit to this, and also likely less than she thinks.

quote:

We’ve spent the last two weeks entranced by a single warrant, making grand conclusions about what Xitter — which also knew nothing — was emphasizing to win a legal battle.

We know of perhaps ten other warrants, if Jack Smith is sharing the warrants for Trump’s co-conspirators and close aides (though he doesn’t have a Fourth Amendment interest in any of those warrants).

Rudy’s devices (likely a warrant served on the FBI in NY)
Ken Klukowski’s Google account
Jeffrey Clark’s Outlook account
Jeffrey Clark’s Google account
Jeffrey Clark’s phone
The fourth account from an as-yet unidentified non-lawyer
John Eastman’s Chapman University emails
John Eastman’s phone
Boris Epshteyn’s phone
Mike Roman’s phone
We know of subpoenas targeting Sidney Powell. We know nothing — literally nothing — about the investigation targeting Ken Cheseboro, one of Trump’s unindicted co-conspirators (except that investigators would have been very interested to learn why he was tailing Alex Jones during the attack on the Capitol, filming him on his phone).

We know of subpoenas obtaining information from NARA. We know of other phones that were seized — like Scott Perry’s and some of the key fake electors and Owen Shroyer — but those present sensitivities that make it less likely they would get shared with Trump, that they would be among the 40 warrants he knows about but we don’t.

We can assume that DOJ obtained warrants for every little last shred of cloud content available from Trump and his co-conspirators, long before they would have started seizing phones.

We can be sure that Trump’s Xitter file would be the last to be seized, not the first. The filings themselves cite how Trump and his associates use Xitter, which DOJ would have learned by seizing those associates’ Xitter accounts first.

Donald Trump is looking at forty warrants and we only know of one with his name on it, and even there we have no idea what DOJ was really after.

I’d say that Beryl Howell was right to scoff at Xitter’s lawyers, at us, for our confident statements about the investigation.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The best hope for the GOP is to somehow get a highly visible celebrity who can dog whistle the Trumpists and coast in on name recognition alone. Any Republican politician at this point is stuck with a voting / policy record that will disgust the majority of Americans.

But I can't really think of anyone that could fit the bill. Apparently Denzel Washington is pretty conservative and a deeply religious person. I have no idea what his politics are but if he's secretly a chud he could be dangerous if he leaned on the Jesus stuff. Someone with his reputation could have the media eating out of his hands. Complete speculation of course.

Duplicating Trump is impossible because he was famous for a VERY long time, his name shorthand for “rich business success” since the 1980’s.

How many rap songs was Donald Trump mentioned in before 2016? Hundreds. Household name for four decades.

It’s not just generic “celebrity” but a very specific confluence that happened at the right place at the right time and he’s still never won the popular vote.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Someone should just convince Musk to run as a third party, bring on the chaos.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

socialsecurity posted:

No, absolutely not

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe make him GOP chair.

Wouldn't that be nice

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Musk isn't a "natural born citizen," and Constitutionally can't be president.

And thank God for that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tenkaris posted:

No, absolutely not

Why don't you want to see the government crush TwitterX for campaign finance and interference violations?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

deoju posted:

And thank God for that.

President Musk rebranded it the United States of X in the hell dimension.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

deoju posted:

And thank God for that.

BUT THEY LET OBAMA DO IT

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

deoju posted:

And thank God for that.

Nothing says you have to be legally eligible to be President in order to run for President. I say let him go hog wild on a 3rd Party bid. Make Perot look like an unseriousness cheapskate.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

How many rap songs was Donald Trump mentioned in before 2016? Hundreds. Household name for four decades.

I'm sorry, am I missing a joke here? Or was there a subgenre of Rap of songs that referenced Donald J. Trump?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

I'm sorry, am I missing a joke here? Or was there a subgenre of Rap of songs that referenced Donald J. Trump?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_in_music

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Question IRL posted:

Before the escalator broke reality, Donald Trump was equivalent to Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous. Gaudy consumption was his thing, and that's also big in Rap so he got name dropped often.

Remember, that in popular culture he was famously rich and nobody really knew about the fact he was actually just too broke to fail.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Santa Please" by Miss Eaves (2017): "Impeach for Christmas Impeach for Chanukah Impeach for Solstice Impeach for Kwanzaa One thing I need One thing I want Impeachment Impeach Trump"

Four impeachments no but we did get four indictments so I'm counting it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gyges posted:

Before the escalator broke reality, Donald Trump was equivalent to Lifestyles Of The Rich And Famous. Gaudy consumption was his thing, and that's also big in Rap so he got name dropped often.

Remember, that in popular culture he was famously rich and nobody really knew about the fact he was actually just too broke to fail.

A book I used to like as a kid, How To Be A Superhero, was published in like 1990 and advised against asking Donald Trump to sponsor your superhero career (jetpacks and secret bases and the like being very expensive for non-billionaire playboys) because he'd make you rebrand yourself to be Trump-Man who gets to crime scenes in the Trump Mobile and analyses supervillain activity in your Trump HQ on your Trump Supercomputer and stuff. Guy has absolutely been a byword for gaudy, self-aggrandizing megawealth for decades, just like you say.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wow, thanks for this.
I genuinely did not know that there was almost a sub genre* of songs calling out Trump.

This is also legitimately awful, and all those musicians should feel bad.

* = I had a similar reaction when I learned that there is a sungenre of sports media which is "person uses magic/super powers/ technology" to cheat at sports.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sure. Or someone who openly says black people / Jews are subhuman and should be purged from society. Trump is way more blatant about his sociopathy than your average Republican, but there is still a lot of room for worse.
The top candidate for the Republican Party 2040: a tortured chimera of human souls summoned by a demonic ritual with the charisma of Ronald Reagan, warmongering and opportunism of Dick Cheney, hatred of liberals/everyone of Richard Nixon and psychological disorders of Donald Trump.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Republicans would never have a brown person as their nominee.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Wow, thanks for this.
I genuinely did not know that there was almost a sub genre* of songs calling out Trump.

This is also legitimately awful, and all those musicians should feel bad.

* = I had a similar reaction when I learned that there is a sungenre of sports media which is "person uses magic/super powers/ technology" to cheat at sports.

I follow sports and huh? Like yes people say that but it's basically always a trope for effect, not literally true. Just FYI.

But anyway so as not to derail I'm honestly shocked the Trump Musical References List wasn't longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

But I can't really think of anyone that could fit the bill.

Vince McMahon comes to mind.

He's got the celebrity, the huckster thing, a short temper and talks a boat load of stupid poo poo. Probably there's a lot of crossover between Trump voters and wrestling fans as well. You wouldn't even have to photoshop him into one of those Trump Rambo posters.