Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a garbage CO2 monitor from AliExpress and the number goes up and down if I open the door to my room

If the sun shines on it, it gets hot and wildly inaccurate but otherwise turns orange above about 600 and red above 1200 and does the thing more or less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Are flame weeders worth a poo poo?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bobcats posted:

if you're asking us if you should buy a flamethrower i dont know what answer you think you're going to get besides YES

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Deviant posted:

if you're asking us if you should buy a flamethrower i dont know what answer you think you're going to get besides YES

Buy two?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Bobcats posted:

goddamnit

I want one

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They don't work well for thing like dandelions (stuff with big taproots) but they work fine for other stuff. Not as well as glyphosate.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

They don't work well for thing like dandelions (stuff with big taproots) but they work fine for other stuff. Not as well as glyphosate.

You’re no fun at allllll

:flame:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 16, 2023

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I've seen videos of people getting a good sear/crust on something post-sous vide with them, so if it doesn't turn out to be good for the yard you might be able to repurpose it~

Plus, I think they're only like $20?

I don't have any firsthand knowledge about finishing a cook with one yet, so I don't have any real advice to offer here.

Looking to remedy that this fall, though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Got a guy coming by finally to fix all the basic poo poo that needs to be fixed - sink, a bunch of roof flashing, fixing the ladder to the attic, removing one of the chimneys - and that's gonna cost plenty of money, but just for a lark I also had him look at the basement foundation for the extension and he immediately says "You need to get an engineer or something to look at this right away!"

Which I already knew but nice to get confirmation I guess lol

I have no idea how to go about finding one though. Any suggestions?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 16, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I asked my civil engineer friend if she knows any, and she didn't but her colleague did
Before that, cold calling, I didn't have much luck

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

GlyphGryph posted:

Got a guy coming by finally to fix all the basic poo poo that needs to be fixed - sink, a bunch of roof flashing, fixing the ladder to the attic, removing one of the chimneys - and that's gonna cost plenty of money, but just for a lark I also had him look at the basement foundation for the extension and he immediately says "You need to get an engineer or something to look at this right away!"

Which I already knew but nice to get confirmation I guess lol

I have no idea how to go about finding one though. Any suggestions?

Ask someone in your city's permitting office who's work they see a lot and respect. They can't officially give endorsements of course, but if you go to their open office hours and ask informally you should be able to get some names.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Just moved into a house and I’m trying to troubleshoot a humidity issue. House was built in 2011. Two stories above grade. ~3,000 square feet including a finished basement. Two furnaces and two A/C units. No dehumidifiers. Each system controlled by Ecobee. I keep temps in low 70s. Humidity has been in the high 60s/low 70s on the top floor and mid 60s on the main floor. I have not checked humidity in the basement.

I had an HVAC guy come out and he found the humidifier cover off in the attic, which seemed like it was the culprit, but it has been a couple days now and the humidity hasn’t changed much. He inspected the AC units and everything looked good.

House is in northern IL. It has been humid around here lately, but the townhouse we just moved from didn’t have a problem. I don’t want to install a dehumidifier if there’s a simple fix, but this humidity is driving me nuts and I don’t know what else to look at.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

How much has your AC been on during the last couple days? Houses can hold a lot of water and it can take quite a while to move the needle.

Edit: Also, if the house isn't air sealed very well, all the humid outside air is just coming right back in. May be something to look into.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 17, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
gently caress, need some advice on what to do.

When we moved in to our house, the POs gutted/remodeling our house. This included a brand new HVAC, consisting of both a heating system with a boiler, as well as a separate 4 zone Mitsubishi Minisplit system. We've used the people who installed the system for minor things as they've come up.

We were having issues with the minisplit system, and I recently had the people that installed the system come out. Apparently due to COVID shortages, when they installed the system they spliced together the wires that run from the indoor units to the outdoor unit, which is causing communication errors of some sort. They said they need to re-run new cables from the indoor units to the outdoor unit. There may also be an issue with either the compressor or the board in the unit, but they haven't finished diagnosing that part.

They've been ghosting me for the past two weeks and now they're telling me they don't have the time to do the work, and they're suggesting we find someone else. We're without the minisplit system operating for the time being. Am I SOL? How pissed should I be that they essentially turned off the system for the past few weeks and now don't want to fix it? Should I push harder on the people that installed the system to do the work, since they (theoretically) know the most of how it's run, or should any decent place be able to do the work?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If it's under warranty or service contract, I would push for them to perform. If not, I'd go find someone that isn't going to dick you around.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Residency Evil posted:

Apparently due to COVID shortages, when they installed the system they spliced together the wires that run from the indoor units to the outdoor unit, which is causing communication errors of some sort.

This sounds like the installer performed a poo poo installation and/or cut corners and is falling back on "covid shortages" to explain it away. Either it was installed correctly or it wasn't. Did any sort of warranty convey when you bought the house? If so, does it require the original installer to perform the warranty work? Mitsubishi is high end. Installers are very busy so of course they don't want to waste time fixing their mistake if they don't have to. However, they botched the installation such that it's a) non-functional and/or b) normal use fried a key component. Give them hell. Or if they ghost you further and the warranty permits, see if you can find another Mitsubishi tech to fix their work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magicaljesus posted:

This sounds like the installer performed a poo poo installation and/or cut corners and is falling back on "covid shortages" to explain it away. Either it was installed correctly or it wasn't. Did any sort of warranty convey when you bought the house? If so, does it require the original installer to perform the warranty work? Mitsubishi is high end. Installers are very busy so of course they don't want to waste time fixing their mistake if they don't have to. However, they botched the installation such that it's a) non-functional and/or b) normal use fried a key component. Give them hell. Or if they ghost you further and the warranty permits, see if you can find another Mitsubishi tech to fix their work.

Great question. Weird thing happened when we bought the house: the POs went all out for a remodel and then separated just as the stuff was being finish. I have all of the invoices/etc from the remodel, but I'm not sure I have the original contract/warranty or anything. The thing I'm trying to figure out is whether 1) the original installers should be fixing this for free and 2) if I want them fixing this and doing a poo poo job versus someone else.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Are the installers one Mitsubishi's list of "Diamond" contractors? If so it might be worth reaching out directly to Mitsubishi with a "hey your certified installers are hacking together cables then abandoning customers" message. That has a tendency to start things moving.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shifty Pony posted:

Are the installers one Mitsubishi's list of "Diamond" contractors? If so it might be worth reaching out directly to Mitsubishi with a "hey your certified installers are hacking together cables then abandoning customers" message. That has a tendency to start things moving.

Unfortunately not. Have two "Diamond Elite" contractors coming out next week to take a look.

:negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DangerousSmells posted:

Just moved into a house and I’m trying to troubleshoot a humidity issue. House was built in 2011. Two stories above grade. ~3,000 square feet including a finished basement. Two furnaces and two A/C units. No dehumidifiers. Each system controlled by Ecobee. I keep temps in low 70s. Humidity has been in the high 60s/low 70s on the top floor and mid 60s on the main floor. I have not checked humidity in the basement.

Also agree, it can take a long rear end time to pull all the moisture out of the walls/wood. If your house sat for a long time, and you're running the AC just a couple hours in the hottest part of the day, or it only kicks on for 10-15 minutes at a time (chicago weather showing it barely cracking into the mid 80s there), you're only barely cooling the air and not sucking any of the latent mositure out of the house itself. In a 3000 sq ft house there might be 1000 lbs or more of extra water in the walls, maybe more, wood can hold a ridiculous amount of moisture. The drywall probably is holding on to a lot too. Maybe set your AC to ~67F for a day or two so the AC can really stretch it's legs, and see what happens to the internal humidity

We have a boat that during peak season, gets really really wet, we're talking 2" thick open cell foam cushions soaked, 1000 sq ft of sails soaked and put away wet, water everywhere every saturday for a couple months and lives in 60% humidity most of the time. I have a 90 pt (7 gallon?) per day dehumidifier designed for dehumidifying a large basement, it will suck up about 20% of the humidity right away, what's in the air, but the boat doesn't get bone dry (40 pct RH) inside until about a week later as moisture wicks out of the plywood cabinetry and foam cushions etc

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you have an invoice and they installed it with hacked together wires you might want to ask the city about the permit. I feel like this is why installers have a bond.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks for the feedback on my humidity issues. Looks like it was mostly a patience issue. I underestimated how much moisture the home can hang on to. My wife found a setting on the Ecobee that is meant to reduce humidity. I believe it overcools 2 degrees past your set point if the humidity is above a threshold you set. That has brought the humidity down quiet a bit so far. I also bought a portable dehumidifier to help things along.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DangerousSmells posted:

Thanks for the feedback on my humidity issues. Looks like it was mostly a patience issue. I underestimated how much moisture the home can hang on to. My wife found a setting on the Ecobee that is meant to reduce humidity. I believe it overcools 2 degrees past your set point if the humidity is above a threshold you set. That has brought the humidity down quiet a bit so far. I also bought a portable dehumidifier to help things along.

Your furnace may have a terminal that you could hook up to the ecobee to provide additional dehumidification. It basically just makes the fan run slower, so it can pull more moisture out of the air. You can then tell the ecobee you have a standalone dehumidifier and let it control that setting on the furnace.

It's kinda a pain to wire up, but whenever you have a HVAC tech there ask if they can set it up. (It's possible to DIY, but it's lots of reading the manuals and stuff)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DangerousSmells posted:

yeah this happened when i moved into my new house, it had been unoccupied for 2 weeks and had a concerning amount of humidity that took a few days to get rid of

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Propane flame weeder update : scarier than any firearm and scarier than my Sonicare toothbrush.

Some weeds seem to have enjoyed it :confused:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bobcats posted:

Propane flame weeder update : scarier than any firearm and scarier than my Sonicare toothbrush.

Some weeds seem to have enjoyed it :confused:

You are either INCREDIBLY chill around guns or have a really loving intimidating toothbrush.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

DangerousSmells posted:

Also clean out your condensate drain if you haven't already.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
double post!

Are there any go-to online places for pool supplies? I've never lived in a house with a pool and have recently discovered that chlorine is expensive.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

TheWevel posted:

double post!

Are there any go-to online places for pool supplies? I've never lived in a house with a pool and have recently discovered that chlorine is expensive.

convert to salt, or watch for specials from lowes/home depot/local pool stores. You can also switch to using bleach, sometimes that's cheaper depending on the % chlorine content.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/blog/pool-school/ is an excellent resource to get up to speed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TheWevel posted:

double post!

I also recently got a pool

I found that Leslie's is the most expensive, but they always have everything in stock

The local not ace hardware chain near me has liquid chlorine for about $13/2 gallons which comes out to just under $7 per gallon.

Leslie's charges about $23/2 gallon which is almost $12/gallon

Also in my experience you only need about one 3" puck per month, any more and your CYA levels go through the roof

Maybe we need a dedicated pool maintenance thread

Trouble free pool is a great resource

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

In the middle of listing my house...I'm really not a fan of how many realtors are just showing up without making viewings, or getting the viewing date wrong, and can also just walk right in with that keybox they leave on the doorknob.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That's a solved problem but it requires your agent to do more than the bare minimum and thus the situation you're in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Poldarn posted:

In the middle of listing my house...I'm really not a fan of how many realtors are just showing up without making viewings, or getting the viewing date wrong, and can also just walk right in with that keybox they leave on the doorknob.

Your realtor is not doing their job, yet are going to gladly consume 3% of the sale price of your home.

It's time to have a serious conversation about their job performance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah literally everything here is Bluetooth via a phone app and it only unlocks if there is a viewing authorized by the sellers realtor.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Our keybox is unlocked via phone app, but one that any realtor in our province can access at anytime. We had one guy barge in, pretty sure because he thought no one would be home at 11 am on a Tuesday (I work nights and my wife WFH), and another guy got the date wrong and came a day early.

We're almost at the point where we'll stop viewings until we've moved. I don't want to pay for two houses but it's better than my wife living on edge and having panic attacks just waiting for some rando to bust in.

The realtor says lots of reassuring things, but nothing substantial.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Poldarn posted:

"The next person who comes in without an appointment confirmed by me personally will cost you your listing."

I bet they figure out really quickly how to turn off the unlimited access feature.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Poldarn posted:

Yeah they'll do that.

H110Hawk posted:

"The next person who comes in without an appointment confirmed by me personally will cost you your listing."

I bet they figure out really quickly how to turn off the unlimited access feature.

Seconding. You've given them the right and responsibility to manage access to your home, and they are not being responsible.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

“Anyone with app access can come in but its okay because they’re realtors”.

Lol no absolutely not. End that now. Being a realtor became the “I don’t know what to do with my life this looks easy” job of the pandemic.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I bet the agent knows drat well how to turn off the any-time access but doesn't want to because then they would have to approve each appointment and those notifications would be annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

This. Or just fire them and get another, but this at the minimum