Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There was a blog post from the WH2 days where they explained the rationale for why they only patch the game three times a year but I can't seem to find it. I think it was from around the time that they broke the charge mechanic and were explaining why they left it broken for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Rest in peace, Guntank.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
having excuses for why you fail at ci/cd does not mean that you aren't failing at ci/cd, lol

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
They aren't even fixing critical bugs when they finally do release patches. How long have bloated corpses been broken? I'm personally not sure why people aren't more upset with them and are still ready to buy yet another game/dlc.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Party In My Diapee posted:

They aren't even fixing critical bugs when they finally do release patches. How long have bloated corpses been broken? I'm personally not sure why people aren't more upset with them and are still ready to buy yet another game/dlc.

Mostly because the jank is at a level I can easily tolerate or work around.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nakai was literally across the entire loving world during my last few campaign runs is why. It's a massive game, there's a lot I can do to circumvent the issue and still occupy myself for however long the next patch takes to come out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Most of the bugs are also relatively easily fixed by modders, which makes things more tolerable. But it's also all the more insane that the devs can't push out fixes for things that can be fixed by some rando on the workshop.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dramicus posted:

Most of the bugs are also relatively easily fixed by modders, which makes things more tolerable. But it's also all the more insane that the devs can't push out fixes for things that can be fixed by some rando on the workshop.

Yeah thats my take. I cant comprehend them not being hotfixed

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah thats my take. I cant comprehend them not being hotfixed

Yeah, it's really loving weird that something as simple as the Nakai issue can't just get a hotfix thrown at it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hadn't heard of or seen this Hyenas game until reading this thread over the past day or so, so I googled "CA Hyenas" and got mostly cool pictures of hyenas with a sparse dusting of what looks to be a generic shooter. Also not really finding the urge to buy DLC that adds a few units to my beastmen because you can get a free mod from the steam workshop that adds the various chaos gors.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
and although this DLC does add new pieces for modders to play with

the modders have made a better looking tzaangor than what is done in this dlc, just by using existing assets

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reagan posted:

and although this DLC does add new pieces for modders to play with

the modders have made a better looking tzaangor than what is done in this dlc, just by using existing assets

This is also pretty depressing. The official Tzaangors don't even have bird faces, just tinted blue. No passion what so ever. Modded ones do have bird faces.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
nodding lazy, greedy

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Tzaangor thing might be a GW restriction, or something? I remember hearing something about the beaks being an AoS thing? Still, the palette swap doesn't exactly make things feel better.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah the tzaangors not being like the AoS ones has to be a GW decision IMO

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's an ultra dumb decision, if it is. However, I still think the next logical step after WH3 is done is one last hurrah in an Age of Sigmar stand-alone that also makes use of all the DLC from Wh1-3. They could implement a random campaign where the map is shuffled around each time you start and they'd only have 2-4 factions worth of units to include from AoS while all the old stuff can get reused.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Funny you should mention that - Pharaoh is meant to have a random starting position mode, like officially.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Karl Franz and Changeling

Head to head or co-op

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azran posted:

Yeah the tzaangors not being like the AoS ones has to be a GW decision IMO

They’ve stated before they explicitly cannot use AoS models in at least one case yeah. Whether that was a categorical ban or not wasn’t clear but it sounded like one. Which loving sucks and is dumb when it comes to Chaos especially

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They keep releasing free stuff for orcs.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pharaoh looks pretty boring too and I'm a historical fan. That also has a price hike over it's predecessor

I had no idea hyenas was a thing and I'll probably forget about it again in a couple hours

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I know there's almost no chance of that happening, but it would be hilarious if Hyenas turned out to be a great and well-managed game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I find it hilarious they still haven't set a price on the Pharaoh Steam page for my region, can't even preorder even if I wanted to lol

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Yeah I thought right now the "CA should fix this" discourse would be on poo poo like different campaign AI behaviour based on races, a really good siege rework and a brand new underway mechanic. Instead it's Nakai can't build Kroxigors(?!?!?!)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Total War: Hyenas

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dandywalken posted:

I want to buy bugfix man a beer

who

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The WH3 lead mentioned some time ago bugfixing is done by a single person lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Azran posted:

Small indie dev confirmed. Maybe the price went up so they could hire a second bug fixer.

Really though, aside from Hyenas, I wonder if another reason DLC prices went up because the delayed and then botched release kept their main dev team on this game so much longer than expected that it's delaying their next game a lot, delaying whatever revenue that game might generate down the line, and they're trying to recapture that money somehow.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 21, 2023

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Azran posted:

Looking at that quote in context, this seems to have been to the case for patch 1.0.1 up to 1.3.2. One dude was working on the Realm of Chaos fixes, while the rest of the team was working on Immortal Empires.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

They've since moved on to no one fixing the bugs. That's a 100% optimization baby!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The bugs are all fixed by a single person, it's just that that person is putting the fix up on the steam workshop instead of being employed by CA, and it's a different person for each bug

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And that person? I couldnt believe it at first....

its Arghy....

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

And that person? I couldnt believe it at first....

its Arghy....

This is Arghy's answer to "how kill grimgrog?"

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This is Arghy's answer to "how kill grimgrog?"

The only way to win is not to play.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
On the subject of Tzaangor models, the Keepers of Secrets use a newer, post-AoS model, so I wonder what that’s about.

I’ve been wondering about the reference to Mother Ostankya’s cauldron sprouting spider legs on the store page since it hasn’t shown up in any videos. Looks like it might just be an attack animation, which you can see early in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53wKJ_4sFhQ

It hasn’t showed up before since people are keeping her out of prolonged melee, but I wonder if this might be one of those animations that allows a unit to perform better than its stats suggest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

On the subject of Tzaangor models, the Keepers of Secrets use a newer, post-AoS model, so I wonder what that’s about.

I’ve been wondering about the reference to Mother Ostankya’s cauldron sprouting spider legs on the store page since it hasn’t shown up in any videos. Looks like it might just be an attack animation, which you can see early in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53wKJ_4sFhQ

It hasn’t showed up before since people are keeping her out of prolonged melee, but I wonder if this might be one of those animations that allows a unit to perform better than its stats suggest.

I looks like it's got great knockback to allow you to pull her out of prolonged melee, which is nice.

And yeah, looking at the skirmishers I hate them so much. Read earlier in the thread when people where talking about Kislev army composition and it involved mixing Ice Guard, Tzar guard, streltsi, and maybe armored kossars and using all them them effectively. Now it'll just be "thin line of most durable infantry you need, scattered ice guard for slow and protecting against flanks, all the akshina" and you're set.

E: vvvvvv yep. It was weird on huntsmen, but at least they have a niche that isn't just "handgunners but better". It's weird on shades, but at least thematic and matches lore, and their range is fairly short so it helps in archer duels. Same with waywatchers, minus the short range, and there it helps draw enemies into ambushes since WE can have a huge ambush component if you want. It's just bizarre in a faction focused around hybrid units, durable troops, and with a decent gunpowder lore. They aren't hybrids, they are just dedicated ranged skirmish infantry, using bows. I'd be a little less grumpy about it if they were riflemen, even though I would wonder what niche in Kislev's roster they were filling. (Beyond the AP arcing dominance niche that someone at CA is determined to give to everyone). I guess I should be grateful that there aren't Chorf super-crossbows.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 21, 2023

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Stalk and vanguard deployment for ranged unit which has a huge range and works fine as a regular backline ranged unit just feels dumb.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It does seem as though the dlc team just doesn't give a gently caress about balance in the slightest.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Want to see those guys use their scopes to fire in an arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordja posted:

Want to see those guys use their scopes to fire in an arc.

A bunch of russians doing 360 noscopes?