Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

mrbotus posted:

Various people I know are all headed to Florida right now. Is something special going on? It feels like when japan opened to tourism and everyone I knew or watched on TV was like, "OMG, I finally can go to Japan! Poggers, soy!"

Japan and soy are both quite pogged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mrbotus posted:

Various people I know are all headed to Florida right now. Is something special going on? It feels like when japan opened to tourism and everyone I knew or watched on TV was like, "OMG, I finally can go to Japan! Poggers, soy!"

Getting in on the ground floor of malaria infections maybe? Possibly leprosy?

Pingui has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Aug 20, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Getting in on the ground floor of malaria infections maybe? Possibly leprosy?
lol if we are ever able to make a post-Sturgis-like map of malaria spread after people visit Florida or Texas

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go eliminate pockets of standing water in my backyard.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zugzwang posted:

lol if we are ever able to make a post-Sturgis-like map of malaria spread after people visit Florida or Texas

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go eliminate pockets of standing water in my backyard.

Pockets of standing water is 100% not a problem in Texas at the moment.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

(..)

Why do you want to dismantle the public malaria vaccination program??

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The vaxx (ddt) was harmful, and now we've got a pretty big malaria debt

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Rain here has gone from "rainy days"
to "rainy tens of minutes" at the same total volume drop, so we had to put in a drainage system that includes drain boxes. They always have standing water after a downpour. A mosquito's paradise.

Pingui posted:

Why do you want to dismantle the public malaria vaccination program??
I have some fun news for you about long-term immunity to malaria after an infection, friend:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
ECDC has chosen to include EG.5 as part of a XBB.1.5-like + F456L point mutation group, instead of tracking it explicitly, because all variants with that mutation are on the rise in the EU and they believe that mutation is the reason:

Headline: "ECDC classifies XBB.1.5-like lineages with the amino acid change F456L as variants of interest following an increase in SARS-CoV-2 transmission in EU/EEA countries and abroad"

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-classifies-xbb15-lineages-amino-acid-change-f456l-variants-interest-following posted:

In 2023, after several months of very low rates of infection, coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) transmission has started to increase in some EU/EEA countries. Although this has coincided with increasing detections of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) XBB.1.5-like lineages carrying the F456L mutation, there are other drivers that can contribute to the increasing transmission rates. This includes large gatherings during seasonal holidays and lower levels of immunological protection against infection after several months of very low disease incidence. There is currently no sign of increased hospitalisations or pressures on healthcare systems.
(..)
The mutation is also increasing globally, with the World Health Organization (WHO) classifying EG.5, which is the most prevalent lineage with this mutation, as a VOI as of 9 August 2023 [4] and the United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA) classifying EG.5.1 as a variant as of 31 July 2023 [5]. ECDC classifies EG.5 within the group of lineages carrying F456L, since all 456L-lineages exhibit elevated growth rates, and the likely source of the elevated growth rate is mainly the F456L change itself.
(..)

Oddly they appear to say that the increased transmission is driven by holidays and the good work they've done before, while the growth rate is mainly the point mutation :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

(..)
I have some fun news for you about long-term immunity to malaria after an infection, friend:

It doesn't have to be permanent to achieve heard immunity.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

quote:

skyrizi
rinvoq
veklury

these are TotK temple names and you won’t convince me otherwise

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

In Alabama I think we have more pockets of boiling water.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

these are TotK temple names and you won’t convince me otherwise

light roots:
iziryks
qovnir
yrulkev

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Nothus posted:

A nice little nuance of the American healthcare system is that if something happens on a weekend, you're poo poo out of luck until Monday.

Well I will say at least my wife got paxlovid in under an hour here. Last year when she had COVID in Greece they wouldn’t prescribe it even though she’s very immunocompromised. A family member’s in-laws got COVID there too after landing this summer and again the doctors wouldn’t prescribe it even though the MIL is severely immunocompromised too.

I do agree, this is poo poo I can’t have an on-call doctor at my GI clinic review my chart and give me some advice. They all can see it and know about my history. I could probably get a hold of my doctor over the weekend if I had one over there, they are more accessible.

I’m half tempted to go to the ER, my fever climbed to over 103 and I had to take Tylenol early to try and bring it down. Still have a killer headache too.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I'm obviously not an expert and not really sure what to advise, but from what I understand it's better to take Paxlovid sooner rather than later - like, the approved window is 1 to 5 days, but there's nothing magical going on that makes all five days equivalent. The whole point is that it stops viral replication, and kind of by definition it's better to stop the virus replicating right away than it is to let it build and get a foothold in and damage your body for four additional days.

Really sorry you can't get ahold of your doctor and that the on call one won't help you, this system is absolutely enraging.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
As I was going into a grocery store a little bit ago, someone in a properly-work Aura was exiting and thumbs-upped me/my V-Flex. Cheers, friend.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

It doesn't have to be permanent to achieve heard immunity.

Heard immunity is when they stick their fingers in their ears and pretend covid is over

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Heard immunity is when they stick their fingers in their ears and pretend covid is over

heard immunity....hehe

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
hey uhh

is the Walgreens Covid Index down

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

hey uhh

is the Walgreens Covid Index down

Bruce Hussein Daddy indicated earlier it's asking for a login now or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Los Angeles County health officials are recommending that patrons who consumed food or beverages at a Panda Express in Lancaster between July 21 and Aug. 4 get vaccinated against hepatitis A.

quote:

The warning comes after the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health identified an hepatitis A virus infection in a food handler who worked at the restaurant at 44411 Valley Central Way in Lancaster, department officials said.

Hepatitis A vaccinations are available through some local pharmacies or physicians' offices. In addition, the county health department will be offering free hepatitis A vaccinations to exposed persons at Antelope Valley Health Center, 335 E. Ave. K, between 12:30 and 4:30 p.m. on Monday, and between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

News story is a week old, so call before heading over there if this affects you, but typically the vaccines will continue to be offered by county health offices. Also, be mindful of the tropical storm.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
The schoolyear started with a bang. First kid picked it up thursday or friday (1st or second day of school) and by sunday they were running a fever and their test instantly came back positive.

Despite having their own room and staying in there everybody else got it anyway, so over the next week it tore through the entire family. RIP. Forsaken by my corsi cube...

3 years into the endemic now, guidance for schools has been banned by Desantis so when we asked the school they said "uh, dunno i guess when their fever goes down send them back in?" they start sending you nastygrams about truancy if your kid is out for more than a day or two. Lol. We told them on no uncertain terms to go gently caress themselves and kids stayed out for the whole week. i wonder if anybody in their classes is going to show up tomorrow? :iiam:

and a week later i caught it despite locking myself away in my gooncave for 16 hours a day and sleeping on the couch. eris sucks, OP, would not recommend. I've got 9 of the 10 symptoms of eris, everything but 'altered smell'. Is that even a thing? It's like <1% of infections.

E: Oh and my doggo picked up an ear infection at the same time so he's conked out on the treatment and has barely moved all day. Poor boy. At least he's not headshaking and pawing at his ears now. :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yikes I been wondering about how you fared, sorry goon

huge sympathy for people with young children, there's no path that's easy :(

hope you feel better soon. oh lol also christ you're in florida too god drat

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yikes I been wondering about how you fared, sorry goon

huge sympathy for people with young children, there's no path that's easy :(

hope you feel better soon. oh lol also christ you're in florida too god drat

Thanks gunshow, I wasn't sure if people even remembered the fun across threads.

florida, new york, california, there's no real difference in governance when it comes to reminding everybody that it's their sacred duty to go to work so their kids have to be sent to the plague pits and also Chilli's happy hour is self care.

desantis is loud and squeaky about it but every state government and the feds follows the exact same playbook.

Not enjoying the new thread vibe of "do not say anything bad about the people who've piled millions of rotting corpses in an offering to mammon" tbh.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
how fast can you get re-infected? Because if I've got a "get out of plague" pass for the next couple weeks I'm going to loving use it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harik posted:

how fast can you get re-infected? Because if I've got a "get out of plague" pass for the next couple weeks I'm going to loving use it.

The soonest documented, laboratory-confirmed reinfection of which I am aware is nineteen days.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:thejoke:

It is when you've heard you are immune.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Harik posted:

florida, new york, california, there's no real difference in governance when it comes to reminding everybody that it's their sacred duty to go to work so their kids have to be sent to the plague pits and also Chilli's happy hour is self care.

desantis is loud and squeaky about it but every state government and the feds follows the exact same playbook.

Not enjoying the new thread vibe of "do not say anything bad about the people who've piled millions of rotting corpses in an offering to mammon" tbh.

All of this.
Hope you and your family can get through this with as much ease as possible. Sure is nice that we have the freedom to have this thrust upon us repeatedly for the rest of our lives

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i heard you like immunity, it would be a shame if something were to...happen to it...

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Harik posted:

The schoolyear started with a bang. First kid picked it up thursday or friday (1st or second day of school) and by sunday they were running a fever and their test instantly came back positive.

Despite having their own room and staying in there everybody else got it anyway, so over the next week it tore through the entire family. RIP. Forsaken by my corsi cube...

3 years into the endemic now, guidance for schools has been banned by Desantis so when we asked the school they said "uh, dunno i guess when their fever goes down send them back in?" they start sending you nastygrams about truancy if your kid is out for more than a day or two. Lol. We told them on no uncertain terms to go gently caress themselves and kids stayed out for the whole week. i wonder if anybody in their classes is going to show up tomorrow? :iiam:

and a week later i caught it despite locking myself away in my gooncave for 16 hours a day and sleeping on the couch. eris sucks, OP, would not recommend. I've got 9 of the 10 symptoms of eris, everything but 'altered smell'. Is that even a thing? It's like <1% of infections.

E: Oh and my doggo picked up an ear infection at the same time so he's conked out on the treatment and has barely moved all day. Poor boy. At least he's not headshaking and pawing at his ears now. :(

Godspeed and hope all goes well with no long term issues

Point of interest: I’ve found the easiest mask to sleep in and maintain a seal is an adhesive mask (alliant, readimask).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Sorry goon friend, don't forget to get Paxlovid!

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Harik posted:

Yeah it’s weird as poo poo. Even if they’re empty suits like Biden and would be replaced if they didn’t toe the line, they’re still despicable. It is okay to wish ill on mass murderers.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I'm obviously not an expert and not really sure what to advise, but from what I understand it's better to take Paxlovid sooner rather than later - like, the approved window is 1 to 5 days, but there's nothing magical going on that makes all five days equivalent. The whole point is that it stops viral replication, and kind of by definition it's better to stop the virus replicating right away than it is to let it build and get a foothold in and damage your body for four additional days.

so there's that intuition, but then there's the countervailing intuition: that letting your body's immune system recognize and get revved up after 1-2 days might be better than zeroth day. i've heard both arguments made by immunologists and i don't know if there is any settled science on the matter.

what did show up in the clinical data is that if you wait longer and do it in the second week — the inflammatory phase — it's too late. in fact, we almost lost paxlovid because pfizer designed the drug trial wrong the first time around and was administering an anti-viral in the second week, after the viral replication phase was over, and it didn't show efficacy. there were a group of infectious disease docs — daniel griffin from twiv was one of them iirc — who intervened and pointed this out.

so i don't know either. but in the context of glumwheels' question, the reason i was saying this is: glumwheels does not currently have access to pax, and waiting 24 hours to see if you can get pax might in principle have a higher expected value of protection than starting molnupiravir 24 hours sooner given how much lower the latter's efficacy is (moot because molnupiravir is out of stock too lmao)

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Petey posted:

so there's that intuition, but then there's the countervailing intuition: that letting your body's immune system recognize and get revved up after 1-2 days might be better than zeroth day. i've heard both arguments made by immunologists and i don't know if there is any settled science on the matter.

what did show up in the clinical data is that if you wait longer and do it in the second week — the inflammatory phase — it's too late. in fact, we almost lost paxlovid because pfizer designed the drug trial wrong the first time around and was administering an anti-viral in the second week, after the viral replication phase was over, and it didn't show efficacy. there were a group of infectious disease docs — daniel griffin from twiv was one of them iirc — who intervened and pointed this out.

so i don't know either. but in the context of glumwheels' question, the reason i was saying this is: glumwheels does not currently have access to pax, and waiting 24 hours to see if you can get pax might in principle have a higher expected value of protection than starting molnupiravir 24 hours sooner given how much lower the latter's efficacy is (moot because molnupiravir is out of stock too lmao)

Isn’t there a thing with antibiotics, like the reason you do such a very long course, that you give your body a chance to eliminate the bacteria without it growing into a larger problem? Like you need a lot of time because the present concentration of infectious material is so low. Idk if it’s well- or commonly- understood.

Sunny Side Up has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Aug 21, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Leana says go get vaaax immunity
soon it will protect the herd
so I can't help but be confused
when messaging becomes blurred

oh the herd is gonna be fine
will we lockdown for the first time?
and accumulating clots in your mind

honey honey

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Leana says go get vaaax immunity
soon it will protect the herd
so I can't help but be confused
when messaging becomes blurred

will we lockdown for the first time?
and accumulating clots in your mind

honey honey

bonus points for not making another Fuel parody

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
still well over a month until I can get treatment for cancer. I love US healthcare

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Petey posted:

re: the phase of the acute infection. this is supported by that (to me) pretty comprehensive study that proposed the bone marrow cell / platelet circulation model too. at a certain point the "virus" isn't what is directly loving your up.

... farid jalali has had to go protected since he posted the writeup which is a great indicator of how X The Everything App is going, gently caress me I can't even link to the tweet or find the paper now

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

nexous posted:

still well over a month until I can get treatment for cancer. I love US healthcare

Oh my god, what the gently caress I am so sorry. How are you dealing mentally?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

VomitOnLino posted:

Oh my god, what the gently caress I am so sorry. How are you dealing mentally?

it’s been back and forth between just ignoring it and freaking out. Another goon in the goon doctor thread really helped, he had the same thing (renal cell carcinoma) and it’s like the easiest cancer to treat so I’m not gonna die or anything it’s just very tedious waiting to do anything about it. I am quite concerned about getting Covid during the surgery tho. it’s gonna be close to see if I can get the updated booster before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nexous posted:

it’s been back and forth between just ignoring it and freaking out. Another goon in the goon doctor thread really helped, he had the same thing (renal cell carcinoma) and it’s like the easiest cancer to treat so I’m not gonna die or anything it’s just very tedious waiting to do anything about it. I am quite concerned about getting Covid during the surgery tho. it’s gonna be close to see if I can get the updated booster before.

Had the same thing about a year and a half ago, took about 3 weeks to get into surgery but we're not in a major metro area. Big enough to have decent hospital services but not so big they're completely overwhelmed thankfully.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you, it did for me (so far).

In my case they took out the whole right kidney along with the softball sized tumor.