Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Whelp. Started the evening with four shrines left to go, and conveniently, four shrine quests left to go, so I figured this would be an easy way to finish out the shrines. Used a guide to find the starting points for the last four shrine quests but planned on not going any further with the guide than getting the initial quests.

Found out by way of talking to the NPCs that I'd already done 3/4 of the remaining shrine quests :v:

Now I have three more shrines to go and no idea where to find them :mad:

game owns

I'd assume you've noticed, but if you haven't... Assuming your missing shrines aren't on Sky Islands...

Every lightroot in the Depths is beneath a shrine on the surface. Since I'd basically been flycycling though the Depth popping every lightroot, finding my last few shrines started with using the map like a blink comparator by flipping between the two maps and going to the places where I spotted a missing shrine, or exploring the darkness in the Depths until I found the lightroot I hadn't lit, then popping to the surface and looking around. There are, admittedly, some tricky chasms to find that are the only paths into their sections of the depths.

From there, it was three more realizations,:
0. Some shrines that are quest-attached won't trigger the Shiekah sensor until you've assembled the Shrine.

1. Subterranean surface shrines are typically attached to a nearby cave (though not always the nearest one) so the game's built-in cave-finding method worked for almost all of those. Use the map in Outskirt Stable, hunt down the cherry trees , offer any fruit, and explore the lit-up areas during the following 24 hours.

2. However' that's not always the case. Luckily, the game has another method for finding undergrounds chambers Wells are a compendium photo item, and undiscovered wells trigger the Purah Pad Sensor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bawk posted:

Basically, you can't speed up the dragon paths in the game. It's on a 2 hour loop (or half hour for the other dragons) and that's unaffected by fast-traveling, staying at inns, and resting at fires. So the bad news is that you can't just pick a spot and rest until the dragon shows up.

It does mean that if you've done some exploring, you should be able to bounce between a few different sky islands and see if you can find the light dragon on the horizon, since fast-traveling won't make it disappear/reappear. The Wind Temple and the Water Temple are both really good for this since they're so high up already. If your map is filled out, any sky island that's more white than beige is what you're looking for. You'll start to recognize it because while the three elemental dragons stick around their respective areas (faron/gerudo for farosh, lanayru/necluda for naydra, akkala/eldin for dinraal) and spend half the time underground, then any time you see a dragon in a spot that's not explicitly one of those areas, that's the light dragon.

If you've got travel medallions, put some down on the very top of those island chains where you play the diving minigame. They're usually super high up, have a good look out over the entire area, and you can quickly use some balloon vehicle when you spot it.

The easiest method is absolutely still just going to the forest, though.

Nice! Thanks - I’ve fully revealed the sky towers and have 2 medallions so I could do this. Or like you said I just do the forest I guess (I have been trying to figure out how to get in on my own, I got kicked out the time I tried)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nice! Thanks - I’ve fully revealed the sky towers and have 2 medallions so I could do this. Or like you said I just do the forest I guess (I have been trying to figure out how to get in on my own, I got kicked out the time I tried)

You can collect the 3rd medallion now that you've done all towers

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

maltesh posted:

I'd assume you've noticed, but if you haven't... Assuming your missing shrines aren't on Sky Islands...

Every lightroot in the Depths is beneath a shrine on the surface. Since I'd basically been flycycling though the Depth popping every lightroot, finding my last few shrines started with using the map like a blink comparator by flipping between the two maps and going to the places where I spotted a missing shrine, or exploring the darkness in the Depths until I found the lightroot I hadn't lit, then popping to the surface and looking around. There are, admittedly, some tricky chasms to find that are the only paths into their sections of the depths.

0. Some shrines that are quest-attached won't trigger the Shiekah sensor until you've assembled the Shrine.

1. Subterranean surface shrines are typically attached to a nearby cave (though not always the nearest one) so the game's built-in cave-finding method worked for almost all of those. Use the map in Outskirt Stable, hunt down the cherry trees , offer any fruit, and explore the lit-up areas during the following 24 hours.

2. However' that's not always the case. Luckily, the game has another method for finding undergrounds chambers Wells are a compendium photo item, and undiscovered wells trigger the Purah Pad Sensor

Huh I never would have thought to track a friggin well, thanks. Always surprised how much stuff is trackable.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm planning on starting a new go-round of the game - emulated this time for that sweet 60fps :pcgaming: - and had a sequence-breaky question: is there anything stopping me from getting the Master Sword rechargeable rock-breaker the moment I get the paraglider, a second stamina wheel, and enough skill bomb arrows to beat up ol' handsy under the Deku Tree? Doesn't seem like there is, but my memory is like a, whaddayacallem, a bowl with holes in

(e)

Docjowles posted:

Huh I never would have thought to track a friggin well, thanks. Always surprised how much stuff is trackable.
oh my god

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
You should be able to do that a bit quicker even, by not doing the handsy part

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Luff posted:

You should be able to do that a bit quicker even, by not doing the handsy part
huh, good point. that said finding and getting to the goal without doing said part seems like an immense pain in the rear end, but then again it might be easier in the end so no harm in trying. Cheers :tipshat:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As someone who got Go get the Master Sword and then immediately got Go get the Master Sword Complete, you do not have to fight any hands.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Ciaphas posted:

huh, good point. that said finding and getting to the goal without doing said part seems like an immense pain in the rear end, but then again it might be easier in the end so no harm in trying. Cheers :tipshat:

When you've found all the memories the dragon appears near you and then flies back to its normal altitude. That gives you some time to warp to a nearby sky island and glide down to it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

As someone who got Go get the Master Sword and then immediately got Go get the Master Sword Complete, you do not have to fight any hands.

Literally just did it and to free the tree I definitely had to

First time I realized I was strong enough to kill them too (lynel bow bomb time)

Where the hell are lynels anyway I need loads of their stuff

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

This is true, but freeing the tree isn't actually a prerequisite of anything Master Sword related.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

First time I realized I was strong enough to kill them too (lynel bow bomb time)

Go down the chasm that's on the northeast corner of the plateau, and then go explore northwest from there, where you can find some water in the depths. If you check the main-level overworld map, you're looking for the area right about where the ruined colosseum is north of the plateau. :) :unsmigghh:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lynels: you can find one under every stable in the depths.

Forest: yeah you can get the sword without saving it but you're a monster if you do not.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Lynels: you can find one under every stable in the depths.

Forest: yeah you can get the sword without saving it but you're a monster if you do not.

This I knew but those seem to be like… mega lynels. I guess I’m 55 hours in and it’s time to figure out how to fight those

I’m really really loving the game suddenly 55 hours in. Like I enjoyed it a lot up until this point but I just got tarrey town, master sword, a bunch of the bigger sidequests all at once and I’m like. This is a good game man. I have 2 temples left and about 70 shrines down so I could get into like, the actual end of the game but I’m having fun just doing whatever

I think for a good 5 hours in the Middle I’d play 20 mins a day and just explore the depths a bit every day

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The question wasn't about freeing the tree it was about getting the master sword. My post was saying I already had the master sword when I started the deku tree quest.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I just never thought to check the forest until I was in the "let's clear out all the stuff in the quest log that doesn't look too annoying before I put down the game" phase after beating the final boss. It's kind of out of the way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vanadium posted:

I just never thought to check the forest until I was in the "let's clear out all the stuff in the quest log that doesn't look too annoying before I put down the game" phase after beating the final boss. It's kind of out of the way.

Aside from knowing that it exists, there's no reason to go there until the Koroks start telling you something is going on. I don't know if this is story progress based or based on how many you've collected. But if you aren't collecting koroks, you likely won't see this message to get nudged to try to go there. And then even then, you still have to find a new way to get there.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
My thought process on that was all right, since that's where the Master Sword was in BotW, there's a solid chance that even if it isn't there, the Deku Tree may have a clue where it actually is. I didn't expect that to be as spot-on as it was.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Was the giant magical mystery cloud surrounding the entire forest not a clue that something is probably going on there, and maybe you should try to get in somehow?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m really really loving the game suddenly 55 hours in. Like I enjoyed it a lot up until this point but I just got tarrey town, master sword, a bunch of the bigger sidequests all at once and I’m like. This is a good game man. I have 2 temples left and about 70 shrines down so I could get into like, the actual end of the game but I’m having fun just doing whatever

Agreed I feel like the game gets better and better as it goes. The power curve is really good, each tiny thing you do makes you just a little more powerful and the world a little more fleshed out. I beat the main story a while ago but still find myself working on shrines and caves and side quests and the depths cause it’s fun.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Was the giant magical mystery cloud surrounding the entire forest not a clue that something is probably going on there, and maybe you should try to get in somehow?

Tbh I tend to tunnel vision on what I’m doing so it was a long time before I even really noticed it. It’s a mystery but it’s a game overflowing with mysterious poo poo happening in every region. Point being I get how someone wouldn’t be like “I gotta fuckin beeline the woods” especially if you aren’t a huge longtime Zelda nerd

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I have no idea if I did the master sword out of sequence or what happens in the different order...

I went the route of getting all the tears from the geoglyphs, and then later went over to the forest. I figured something was up because of the braindead koroks and eventually figured out the hands. If you don't already have the sword by the time you show up, what is the sequence that happens when you show up to the forest?

Also, I realized there's a bit of mechanic-breaking with entering the forest when you have the upgraded flight armor. If you divebomb into where a shrine is (cause you can see them from above or know where the lightroot is) fast enough, you can activate the fast-travel spot before the fog transports you. And then you can travel back to that spot. I still don't know what the trick for navigating the fog is on surface level, but that route seemed to work fine for me. Same as BOTW?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

road potato posted:

Also, I realized there's a bit of mechanic-breaking with entering the forest when you have the upgraded flight armor. If you divebomb into where a shrine is (cause you can see them from above or know where the lightroot is) fast enough, you can activate the fast-travel spot before the fog transports you. And then you can travel back to that spot. I still don't know what the trick for navigating the fog is on surface level, but that route seemed to work fine for me. Same as BOTW?

I think you can't get through it at all and have to come in from underneath but I could be wrong there.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I watched a friend play hours upon hours of the game without getting basic conveniences like the sage abilities so I figured I'm gonna stick to the heavily signposted stuff to make sure I get all the toys before I start exploring random poo poo.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

After defeating ganon I can see how many quests etc I’ve missed, about 1/3rd of shrine quests to go, but mostly a TON of mini quests, there’s like 158? I’ve done 70.. like how? I thought i had covered most of the towns and stables by now.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

maltesh posted:

Oh I definitely knew all of that, I was just amused that my shrine-finding skills were apparently good enough to find quest shrines before I ever even got the actual quests lol

Still have a few small parts of the Depths to light up, so I guess I'll be completing that next

Ciaphas posted:

(e)

oh my god

lol I had the exact same reaction to making this discovery

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

road potato posted:

Also, I realized there's a bit of mechanic-breaking with entering the forest when you have the upgraded flight armor. If you divebomb into where a shrine is (cause you can see them from above or know where the lightroot is) fast enough, you can activate the fast-travel spot before the fog transports you. And then you can travel back to that spot.

Really? :monocle:

I specifically tried that on my second run and it didn't work. I only tried once, I guess it's just tricky to pull off.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I did manage to divebomb onto the southern of the three shrines not in the center and activate it for fast-travel, but I kept voiding out too fast on the two northern ones, so I don't know if it only works with certain ones or if I was just getting lucky/unlucky. I also haven't tried doing the same to the main shrine near the Deku Tree before doing the quest properly

road potato posted:

I have no idea if I did the master sword out of sequence or what happens in the different order...

I went the route of getting all the tears from the geoglyphs, and then later went over to the forest. I figured something was up because of the braindead koroks and eventually figured out the hands. If you don't already have the sword by the time you show up, what is the sequence that happens when you show up to the forest?

The Deku Tree comments on you not having the Master Sword, tries to sense its location, and reveals that it's in the sky and moving. This puts a quest marker on the Light Dragon's current location, and the dragon permanently changes to a lower, more accessible altitude

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Wait :psyduck:

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

MiracleFlare posted:

I did manage to divebomb onto the southern of the three shrines not in the center and activate it for fast-travel, but I kept voiding out too fast on the two northern ones, so I don't know if it only works with certain ones or if I was just getting lucky/unlucky. I also haven't tried doing the same to the main shrine near the Deku Tree before doing the quest properly

The Deku Tree comments on you not having the Master Sword, tries to sense its location, and reveals that it's in the sky and moving. This puts a quest marker on the Light Dragon's current location, and the dragon permanently changes to a lower, more accessible altitude

The southern shrine specifically requires you to dive bomb it iirc

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also this morning I said gently caress it and powered through enough Bubblefrogs to get the last item from Kilton’s brother (I love the outfit). And then he told me there are something like another 110 Bubblefrogs out there I haven’t found. Good lord.

Also I’m trying to slowly get all the outfits. One I’ve seen pictures of but don’t know anything about is the one where its like you are cosplaying a Zonai. I’m very curious about that one.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Gwely Mernans posted:

The southern shrine specifically requires you to dive bomb it iirc

None of them do. I've had all the shrines found for about a month now, and until seeing these last few pages of posts, I was convinced it was impossible to enter the area from above.

Edit: Looking at my Heroe's Path., and looking up shrine quests again. I was wrong. Nevermind.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also I’m trying to slowly get all the outfits. One I’ve seen pictures of but don’t know anything about is the one where its like you are cosplaying a Zonai. I’m very curious about that one.
I don't love that whole set, but the helmet looks awesome with the soldier set.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also this morning I said gently caress it and powered through enough Bubblefrogs to get the last item from Kilton’s brother (I love the outfit). And then he told me there are something like another 110 Bubblefrogs out there I haven’t found. Good lord.

Hidden in 3 chests all in the sky. Some of them are very cleverly hidden. I had to google up and cheat for some of them. The bonus is very useful if you like going nuts with building battery powered contraptions.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dictator. posted:

After defeating ganon I can see how many quests etc I’ve missed, about 1/3rd of shrine quests to go, but mostly a TON of mini quests, there’s like 158? I’ve done 70.. like how? I thought i had covered most of the towns and stables by now.

Some side-quests won't show up until you've completed other side quests, and they'll show up in areas you might have already spent a bunch of time in and not thought to go back to later.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Slugworth posted:

I don't love that whole set, but the helmet looks awesome with the soldier set.

That one is all one piece, it can't mix and match. You might be thinking of the Zonaite set though, which has a killer helmet!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

I think GATOS Y VATOS is talking about the one you get for completing all the shrines.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Honestly, I spent almost the whole game thinking that was there just because gently caress it, it's the lost woods, I probably need to know that I go west south east south or whatever the gently caress magic sequence. I messed around with it some early on, found I couldn't do anything, got tired of spooky noise saying you cant' walk that way, and then didn't come back until the Koroks start pestering you to go up there, which I think is a nearly endgame change. I'd already picked up the sword and never played BotW so I didn't know about that association anyway (or that the cloud is purpler this game).

Also, it never occurred to me that it's possible to have a challenge finding the light dragon. It shows up when you trigger the fresh new dragon's tear post-geoglyph, right? I just immediately teleported to an island above that tear and dropped down, easy-peasy. And I wore the Ravio hat during the cutscene, which was objectively correct, though I would also accept the korok mask or one of kilton's lovely disguises. But I guess if you didn't ever go to that island then you're a bit screwed and have to hunt around. I just got weirdly obsessed with hunting around the sky and depths, and had the depths map nearly complete for except the fiery bits before I touched a temple. Actually I neglected the service and looking at the hero's path there's still empty parts I've just never been to or near, despite having all the shrines marked by finding the light roots beneath.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is there a way to re-figut the seized construct? I know you can re-fight the other temple bosses in the deeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

There are apparently no refights for that. I also assumed there would be, and didn't make sure to snap a compendium picture during the battle.