Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How long is Echoes of the Eye? Is it basically the same length as the main game?

Probably comparable, yeah. It's a very dense and substantial destination that just gets more so as you figure out how to access things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It’d say it’s not quite as long as the base game, but still pretty substantial- maybe 2/3 of the length of the base game?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I just wanted to chime in, in saying I didn't like Echoes of the Eye. Like at all. Really upsetting,I know

I hope you go to prison for this.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

to be fair i wouldn't call literally 7+ years of confirmed development time after graduating with it being a master thesis 'seemingly effortless'.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I hope you go to prison for this.

I think the Owlks not having a decipherable language was a huge mistake in making them not relatable to me, despite the good visual storytelling. I also hated the ringworlds more rigid loop that left no freedom (I would have liked to stop the event inside it)

Plus, I dislike darkness. A lot.

Also I'm already trapped in a prison of my own make.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

to be fair i wouldn't call literally 7+ years of confirmed development time after graduating with it being a master thesis 'seemingly effortless'.

My point was never that the development of Outer Wilds was swift and painless, but more that from the outside, playing Outer Wilds first and Echoes of the Eye afterwards, you wouldn't get the idea that this was their first rodeo, and that the fact that they managed to hit that consistent level of quality twice in a row is really amazing and makes it look way easier than it probably is.

But sure, I didn't know Outer Wilds was in development for 7+ years to be fair!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I think the Owlks not having a decipherable language was a huge mistake in making them not relatable to me, despite the good visual storytelling. I also hated the ringworlds more rigid loop that left no freedom (I would have liked to stop the event inside it)

Plus, I dislike darkness. A lot.

Also I'm already trapped in a prison of my own make.

I agree. Not being able to read their language because there's no time for anyone to decipher it kind of sucks. The visual story telling works pretty well, but I want to know more about them that a sequence of six pictures at a time can't do justice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's almost literally like trying to read a classic novel that got turned into a children's book on tape and viewmaster reels, but you found it at a thrift store so all the reels are out of order and the tapes are missing.

I still think it's a good story, but it takes some piecing together.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The pathos at seeing the unburnt slide reels was incredible and a single written word would have completely ruined it you philistines.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Also the majority of the Owlks are portrayed as villains so making them relatable would be a weird move.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Arrhythmia posted:

The pathos at seeing the unburnt slide reels was incredible and a single written word would have completely ruined it you philistines.

Completely agreed, they wanted to tell a story in a different way than the base game and they did so expertly. I understand if it didn’t hit for you but goddamn it they knocked it out of the park for me. Like the other user said, two back to back home runs.

I mean honestly, the concept of river rafting around a ring world is so brilliant by itself that it was beyond anything I could even begin to imagine. Experiencing that for the first time was probably one of the most incredible surprises I've ever had in gaming.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 16, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
A friend of mine is having issues with crashes, I did some searching but couldn't find anything that seemed helpful.

quote:

it looks like a video driver thing because my screens do that very fast flicker thing and then the game just freezes. audio continues but no novel activity occurs - but it's not the hardlock looping of audio. program never recovers and becomes responsive. i have tried everything obvious like drivers and a fresh install, no particular trigger or cause and seems to happen at random

his computer's specs also blow it out of the water so it's not that. anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Countblanc posted:

A friend of mine is having issues with crashes, I did some searching but couldn't find anything that seemed helpful.

I'm no expert, but does this persist if he runs it in windowed mode?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I am fairly far into the EotE DLC, and I have gone from "annoyed" to "angry," and I want to rant about it. Major spoilers for the DLC ahead:

First of all, I was slightly annoyed at how fiddly it is to carry around slide reels, then also have to put them down so I can carry a lantern to the projector as well. Hearthians have two hands.

I was much more annoyed by the dark sections in the "dream" world. To take away my thrusters is annoying, but reasonable; I see how they want to gatekeep areas without having to worry about the player cleverly jetting over them. But in combination with the rest, quite annoying. Absolutely cruel of them to take away your flashlight, and replace it with an inferior one that makes you walk slower when you use it. And no scout! Scout is love, scout is life. Scout is the solution to all problems in the base game. And above all, they give you limited light, and then fill the place with unprotected ledges that drop you into the water, which kicks you out of the "dream" world, wasting your time, which you have less of because of the dam breaking halfway through the loop. And you need all that time, because the darkness makes navigation much more difficult; you can't get an overall lay of the land via your eyeballs. These issues all compound on one another to make the "dream" world super annoying; the base game was fairly effortless to control and navigate and this is the exact opposite. It was clearly a deliberate choice, but it's one that I hate.

Meanwhile, the story of these owldeer aliens is far less interesting than the Nomai, probably because you don't ever get much in the way of clues about their mental state. The slide reels feel much more like direct videogamey clues to videogamey puzzles, rather than a look into the lives of characters which also happen to have clues in them.

And then I got to the point where I visited all the reel-burning areas, and got clues to where the three codes for the weird coffin/vault thingy are. So I started checking them out. And they all involve stealth. First of all, stealth sections in videogames usually suck rear end. But more importantly, in this game, hiding means removing your light source - so you can't see where the gently caress you're going when you're trying to navigate around. In particular, I just got done trying to get to the well. I turned out the lights as per the clue in the reel, and saw an owldeer alien taking an elevator. I still didn't really understand where they were going exactly, so I was caught by surprise when I went down through the little cave leading up to the bridge to the well; they spotted me, poof, back to the beginning. And so I tried again, this time carefully concealing my lantern so I wouldn't be spotted but of course that also meant I couldn't see where the gently caress I was going, so I walked off into the water. And then the third time, I literally bumped directly into the owldeer alien in the blind dark. On the fourth attempt, the tower collapsed and extinguished the campfire before I even got there, meaning that if I want to attempt it again, I have to reset the loop, fly to The Stranger, pick up an artifact, boat to the tower, go through the mini stealth section leading to the burned house, go through the cave to extinguish the lights, and then go walk back to attempt the stealth section again. So loving frustrating!

So I am loving done with this poo poo unless y'all tell me that (a) the story gets significantly more interesting, which I doubt given that I know you never learn to translate their text, and also (b) the stealth sections are really short and there's just these three. Or perhaps (c) I am a huge idiot and missing some kind of fundamental game mechanic that makes it less rear end.

It's a shame, because The Stranger is a really cool environment and I was mostly enjoying the non-"dream" world part of the DLC, even if it wasn't as compelling as the base game. I still have all kinds of questions about the owldeer aliens that I want answered, and now I'll probably just watch lore videos on youtube or something. Like for example, how come there even are owldeer assholes making me do stealth in the "dream" world, if they're all dead in the real world? We've all heard "if u die in the matrix u die in real life" but shouldn't you also die in the matrix if your real life body dies? Can't I solve all my problems by blowing out their corpses' artifacts' fires in the real world? Would that be murder? Would it matter if it was, considering there's a time loop and they'll all be alive again in under 22 minutes?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

So I am loving done with this poo poo unless y'all tell me that (a) the story gets significantly more interesting, which I doubt given that I know you never learn to translate their text, and also (b) the stealth sections are really short and there's just these three. Or perhaps (c) I am a huge idiot and missing some kind of fundamental game mechanic that makes it less rear end.

Literally all 3 things are true lmfao

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Arrhythmia posted:

Literally all 3 things are true lmfao

well don't just post "lmfao," tell me why i'm a huge idiot

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fwiw that's exactly where I quit too. After two play sessions of zero progress and zero fun, I decided there are better games I could be playing. It's an especially sour note since the base game was so amazing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

One of the stealth sections is not a stealth section

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Turn on "reduced frights" and never be frustrated at the stealth sections again

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

DontMockMySmock posted:

Have you seen the matrix?

More explicit spoilers follow:
there is a way to ignore the darkness and see a wireframe representation of the world. there are in fact a few "glitches" that will help you finish it up, if I remember correctly.

Getting to the end is very rewarding. I found the same aspects of the gameplay similarly frustrating, but I overall loved the dlc almost as much as the base game, and the base game is my favorite game of all time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Spoiler explanation:

What this does is reduce how good they are at tracking you.

Further spoiler hints:

there's multiple instances where you can reduce how much you need to sneak around them by being clever with how you get around.

and even further:

consider how the areas are connected by raft.

It's been a good year since I played so I can't really give good direction, unfortunately.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The consensus here since the dlc launch is to enable "reduced frights", please turn that on in the options menu. I'm pretty purist when it comes to dev intent and i did my entire dlc run with it off. It sucked. Redid it with it turned on and enjoyed it so much more it's not even close. The dlc is great!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFlOYAWkuk

Please listen to this all :tipshat:

I've been listening to this on repeat most of this week. Good vibes. There's a bit near the 7min mark that really conveys in music form how my heart feels about this very special game.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ColdPie posted:

Fwiw that's exactly where I quit too. After two play sessions of zero progress and zero fun, I decided there are better games I could be playing. It's an especially sour note since the base game was so amazing.

Glad I'm not the only one.

Regy Rusty posted:

beep by grandpa posted:

The consensus here since the dlc launch is to enable "reduced frights", please turn that on in the options menu. I'm pretty purist when it comes to dev intent and i did my entire dlc run with it off. It sucked. Redid it with it turned on and enjoyed it so much more it's not even close. The dlc is great!

I forgot about that; scary doesn't bother me so I mentally filed that under "don't care, ignore". I looked it up and it seems like it's actually a "make the stealth sections really easy" button, so I will try that, thanks!

malnourish posted:

there is a way to ignore the darkness and see a wireframe representation of the world. there are in fact a few "glitches" that will help you finish it up, if I remember correctly.

Getting to the end is very rewarding. I found the same aspects of the gameplay similarly frustrating, but I overall loved the dlc almost as much as the base game, and the base game is my favorite game of all time.

I can't think of anything I could be doing differently to become Neo with the information I have so far, idk.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

DontMockMySmock posted:

You're not a huge idiot, those are all very common and reasonable complaints about the DLC. Depending how the revelations hit you, (a) may be entirely accurate; the story is very low key and impersonal compared to the base game. (b) is a mixed bag, there are only three stealth zones, but you visit each multiple times and their length is subjective depending on your tolerance for stealth in video games. Reaching the end of each one will teach you a mechanic that makes it and/or the others easier to revisit for more clues.

edit: yes, enable "reduced frights" because it's very misleadingly named and should be "gently caress stealth in video games"

Swilo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 21, 2023

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Focus on the section with the invisible bridge first. Don't worry about being stealthy, you just need to get around the first alien you see (assuming reduced frights) and then just don't stop moving.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

When you're done Please tell us how much it improved your DLC experience because all of our pathetic post-outer wilds lives have become scuttling the earth, consuming virginal enjoyment of this game like a witch's essence and you will know this painful fate soon

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Soon

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I played the DLC without reduced frights and had a negative leaning feeling about it. Then I watched our forum admin Video Games play through it with reduced frights on from the beginning and my opinion drastically improved. It really makes it much better.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

oh don't you worry, i'm already there re: the base game. Added it to my "vicariously reliving puzzle games" twitch rotation alongside Fez and The Witness. watched some dude last night who figured out the rule of quantum imaging before leaving Timber Hearth for the first time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

The DLC- the stealth in particular- is definitely worse than the main game. It's just funny that all three ways it could get better really do happen.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Make sure you beat the ending to the base game again after the DLC, btw.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

malnourish posted:

You don't learn about the wireframe view, or the other glitches, until after you complete the section where they'd be most useful. You can find them by accident, but you're not pointed that way until after you've stealthed your way through.

I don't think I've ever done the well purely through stealth, because I hated it so much. Maybe I'm just not very good at keeping track of where things are.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The well is the only actual stealth section, right? The other two that look like stealth sections I didn't solve by doing any stealth anyway. I actually didn't do any "stealth" in the well either, since I just scouted them out with the matrix glitch and then ran through at full speed, but I think they actually made the shortcut I used there impossible in a later patch

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

GlyphGryph posted:

The well is the only actual stealth section, right? The other two that look like stealth sections I didn't solve by doing any stealth anyway. I actually didn't do any "stealth" in the well either, since I just scouted them out with the matrix glitch and then ran through at full speed, but I think they actually made the shortcut I used there impossible in a later patch

You're correct. One of the others can be bypassed with exploration and ingenuity, and the other requires observing the world and putting some pieces together.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

I don't know how you could bypass the lodge without stealth the first time. There's no way to know about the specific invisible bridge that lets you do that before you learn the lantern dropping trick, and the part of the game that tells you about that is in the vault underneath the lodge. Unless its existence is hinted at somewhere, and I just missed it? Or was changed in an update, maybe. As far as I can remember, the only invisible bridge that gets hinted at is the one that lets you turn out the lights in the lodge.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Shwoo posted:

I don't know how you could bypass the lodge without stealth the first time. There's no way to know about the specific invisible bridge that lets you do that before you learn the lantern dropping trick, and the part of the game that tells you about that is in the vault underneath the lodge. Unless its existence is hinted at somewhere, and I just missed it? Or was changed in an update, maybe. As far as I can remember, the only invisible bridge that gets hinted at is the one that lets you turn out the lights in the lodge.

It might've been removed in a patch, but at one point in time it was possible to drop down to the bottom floor by landing on the stairway railing in just the right way to keep you out of the lethal fall range.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Shwoo posted:

You don't need to know about that. If you go around the back, there's an elevator down to the river. If you lower it before you wake up the owlks, then you can use the boat to get back to the back of the hall. This reduces the stealth bit to practically nothing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Shwoo posted:

I discovered the lantern dropping thing pretty early on and skipped it that way, but I feel like that one is easy to stumble on with basic curiosity and simple experimentation, but even if I hadn't I'm pretty sure you can just use the elevator to skip it as much as the invisible bridge does, can't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

blastron posted:

You don't need to know about that. If you go around the back, there's an elevator down to the river. If you lower it before you wake up the owlks, then you can use the boat to get back to the back of the hall. This reduces the stealth bit to practically nothing.

YEah this is how I got through it. I'm terrible at navigating cramped spaces in the dark so I never actually figured out how to get through the lodge the intended way.