Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

kliras posted:

that's pretty much how it goes. i had to just wait them out so they could get to their stage 2 dialogue. good thing i did throné's first and not last

I'm about to do Throne's so lol

I'll make sure to hold back a bit on the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've really tried to like the game but the lack of the mini map - no matter how straightforward things are I will still get lost, and this is on me, but I need a map - the fact that it pauses when I defocus and the bittyness of the story is just too much for me I think.

I'm 17 hours in and I feel like I've read the first chapter (and second for a few) of 8 different books. There's still just too little interaction between the characters for me to enjoy it. I appreciate they've tried better than they did in the first game but yea, I really regret picking it up now.
Honestly I could bring myself through it if it didn't pause when I defocus but because it does I'm just done.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Taear posted:

Honestly I could bring myself through it if it didn't pause when I defocus but because it does I'm just done.

Genuinely do not understand this complaint. You're upset that the game doesn't run when you're... not playing it? The only possible use case for this I can come up with is that you don't want to devote full attention to the cutscenes, but also don't want to just skip them for some reason. And also you can't come up with any multitasking activities that don't involve opening another window on your PC.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cattail Prophet posted:

Genuinely do not understand this complaint. You're upset that the game doesn't run when you're... not playing it? The only possible use case for this I can come up with is that you don't want to devote full attention to the cutscenes, but also don't want to just skip them for some reason. And also you can't come up with any multitasking activities that don't involve opening another window on your PC.

I've got two monitors, so I want the game on one and to scroll stuff on the other. I can listen and read at the same time, I don't like having to be locked to it
I know that's stupid, but PLEASE don't pause so I can do that

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
You haven't gotten to any of the parts where the characters interact yet to be fair. The first joint chapters start after you finish several chapter 2s. Though I think if none of the individual stories/characters grab you and you don't like the game play you should just stop playing it. Since I don't think the joint chapters will be enough to change things for you if you dislike most of what the game offers already.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 14, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finished my 4th character path, which completes my starter party. Gonna do the second Temenos/Throné duo quest then its time for some powerlevelling.

I might swap Armsmaster off Osvald onto Hikari which is going to hurt all the random element-boost weapon stacking options I can have on him, but I think that Giant Club + the Armsmaster weapons for the other 5 slots would go a lot better on Hikari. Dunno what I would run on Osvald instead though, flittering between Inventor and Arcanist (no Conjurer yet).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Finished my 4th character path, which completes my starter party. Gonna do the second Temenos/Throné duo quest then its time for some powerlevelling.

I might swap Armsmaster off Osvald onto Hikari which is going to hurt all the random element-boost weapon stacking options I can have on him, but I think that Giant Club + the Armsmaster weapons for the other 5 slots would go a lot better on Hikari. Dunno what I would run on Osvald instead though, flittering between Inventor and Arcanist (no Conjurer yet).

You could give him apothecary/merchant/warrior/thief/etc to try to give him some more weapon types to try to boost a few elements. Or cleric for the utility/heals plus a light elemental attack. Not amazing but it works pretty well except for the lack of access to weapons.

Arcanist has some good passives for him but Arcanist shines more as a support job than a dps job. Though he's not terrible at it and if you want shirtless Osvald well there you go. That said there's also other characters who use it much better. Inventor at least gives him more weapon types but then you can't put it on Agnea who is really really good with the job.

It's a tough choice but you do have options!

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 15, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I'm at the point where everyone in my A team can casually crap out 30k damage on turn 2 so demoting Osvald to support/shield cracker with arcanist isn't too bad an idea, I'm really going to miss the spiritlord staff bash though.

Actually I might go apothecary then and save arcanist for Partitio who I assume uses it very well. I already have Temenos with scholar so Osvald with cleric would just be redundant really.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 15, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ibblebibble posted:

There are still some Osvald subjob options that let him run double elemental boost. I think Thief/Hunter both work.

Arcanist!Partitio is for cheese yeah (you can spread both Sidestep and Rest), though it's hardly needed and he makes use of almost any job well enough. Plus I don't like the outfit on him, so I usually throw him into another job.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

There are still some Osvald subjob options that let him run double elemental boost. I think Thief/Hunter both work.

Arcanist!Partitio is for cheese yeah (you can spread both Sidestep and Rest), though it's hardly needed and he makes use of almost any job well enough. Plus I don't like the outfit on him, so I usually throw him into another job.

When you have reached the sordid heights of triple ice boost it's hard to take a consolation prize double boost :negative:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If it makes you feel better, Agnea can get a triple wind boost just by using Merchant subjob.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah I'm at the point where everyone in my A team can casually crap out 30k damage on turn 2 so demoting Osvald to support/shield cracker with arcanist isn't too bad an idea, I'm really going to miss the spiritlord staff bash though.

Actually I might go apothecary then and save arcanist for Partitio who I assume uses it very well. I already have Temenos with scholar so Osvald with cleric would just be redundant really.

Yeah, Partitio makes the best arcanist to be sure, but it does have the drawback of making fights kinda boring since he effectively makes your party immune to physical damage. Though there's some other characters that have fun self abilities to apply that are less game breaking. Arcanist Hikari can apply his aoe attack selfbuff to the party(and also self applying learned skills and vengeful blade!). Ochette has that self buff of hers that buffs a lot of stats, etc. I'm pretty sure most of those work.

Might be worth experimenting with different characters and seeing what you can get out of it. Though making Osvald support is a good idea, as you said the game isn't short on good damage options anyways.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 15, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fun: messing around with lvl 20 B team in endgame gear
Less fun: realising just how much JP I need to farm to get back all the different support skills I want for the B team

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Got a few ways to get more JP to your team:
  • Equip JP Augmentor on whoever you want to funnel more JP to.
  • Have at least one dancer in your party so there's multiple casts of Bewildering Grace during regular battles. Pray for RNG blessings of JPx5.
  • Get all of the charms/people that can help you find Caits and/or Octopuffs
  • Dump all remaining JP to thief skills so the character can equip Life in the Shadows (more EXP/JP at night)
  • Dump all remaining JP to dancer skills so the character can equip Hard Worker (more JP after battles)
  • Have your merchant use Arrow of Fortune a lot. I did this for fun with Particio as my main. Imagine my surprise when I found I accidentally gave him a JP jackpot from regular battles :stare:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Regarding Arrow of Fortune, it can be buffed with Sealticge's.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh are the more xp/more xp + jp at night skills for self only? I assumed they were partywide because of the one-per-party clause, darn. I'll keep that in mind for my next farming session.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I'm almost certain they're party wide

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I finally wrapped all the character chapters and crossed paths and the icon for the final mission has popped up on my map. From what I've seen from quick googling, it sounds like I should complete all the side content I want prior to starting it, as it's going to cut off/make some side stuff harder until the chapter is complete.

What would a general to-do list before starting that mission look like? So far I've found all the secret jobs, but not unlocked all their abilities. One half of my party is in the range of level 70... the other half is in the upper 30s. I figure I need to get the weaker guys up a dozen levels or so. Any particularly cool optional dungeons I should hit first? I've done a lot of them, but I know I left a few undone (I really wish the game marked completed dungeons on the map. My memory of which I did and didn't do over the last 80 hours of gameplay ain't that great...)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You want ~10 more levels on your B-team because the final boss requires them to be able to hold their own for at least a few rounds.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

I finally wrapped all the character chapters and crossed paths and the icon for the final mission has popped up on my map. From what I've seen from quick googling, it sounds like I should complete all the side content I want prior to starting it, as it's going to cut off/make some side stuff harder until the chapter is complete.

What would a general to-do list before starting that mission look like? So far I've found all the secret jobs, but not unlocked all their abilities. One half of my party is in the range of level 70... the other half is in the upper 30s. I figure I need to get the weaker guys up a dozen levels or so. Any particularly cool optional dungeons I should hit first? I've done a lot of them, but I know I left a few undone (I really wish the game marked completed dungeons on the map. My memory of which I did and didn't do over the last 80 hours of gameplay ain't that great...)

If you want a list of things to check:

For optional dungeons double check the ones around the final towns like Gravell and the like. Those will have the most interesting rewards. There's also one out at sea in the area that was blocked off by the shark that's very short but has a few potentially very impactful items in it. I'd say also go to graveyard south of montwise too if you didn't. In the ice region (Where Temenos/Hikari's chapter 3/4 was) there's also a secret dungeon that's tricky to find. If you go around the area south of the town there during the day you'll find npcs there which can give you some clues on how to find it.

If you need more hints for items and stuff you can also go to the job guilds. Each one will tell you about a very powerful item and where to find it so you can use that to help. Whats nice is they tell you the name of the item too so you can check to see if you already have it if you don't remember what you've done.

Also if you are going to be running around optional dungeons, something that's good to keep in mind is that there its possible to capture the boss enemies with Ochette. You have to defeat them normally once, and then after that they can reappear as a regular encounter in that area. That version of them can be caught and used with Ochette's Provoke at max boost. Can only be used once per battle but some of the effects are very powerful. Montwise Graveyard has a really nice one in particular

There's also some nice debuffing monsters like the trees you can find in the area before Timberain. And having a couple of 2x attack monsters in damage types that you are lacking can be really nice for end game. Also you should have access to all of Hikari's good learned skills now, so it might be worth spending a little time checking around end game towns for skills you like. Timberain again has some nice stuff, but even some places like Sai have some really strong skills available in end game.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

JuniperCake posted:

If you want a list of things to check:

For optional dungeons double check the ones around the final towns like Gravell and the like. Those will have the most interesting rewards. There's also one out at sea in the area that was blocked off by the shark that's very short but has a few potentially very impactful items in it. I'd say also go to graveyard south of montwise too if you didn't. In the ice region (Where Temenos/Hikari's chapter 3/4 was) there's also a secret dungeon that's tricky to find. If you go around the area south of the town there during the day you'll find npcs there which can give you some clues on how to find it.

If you need more hints for items and stuff you can also go to the job guilds. Each one will tell you about a very powerful item and where to find it so you can use that to help. Whats nice is they tell you the name of the item too so you can check to see if you already have it if you don't remember what you've done.

Also if you are going to be running around optional dungeons, something that's good to keep in mind is that there its possible to capture the boss enemies with Ochette. You have to defeat them normally once, and then after that they can reappear as a regular encounter in that area. That version of them can be caught and used with Ochette's Provoke at max boost. Can only be used once per battle but some of the effects are very powerful. Montwise Graveyard has a really nice one in particular

There's also some nice debuffing monsters like the trees you can find in the area before Timberain. And having a couple of 2x attack monsters in damage types that you are lacking can be really nice for end game. Also you should have access to all of Hikari's good learned skills now, so it might be worth spending a little time checking around end game towns for skills you like. Timberain again has some nice stuff, but even some places like Sai have some really strong skills available in end game.

Thanks, that's a solid list of activities to do while I get my B-team leveled up. A few questions about it:

Speaking of Hikari's skills, I'm not sure I get why limb from limb is so loved. It can only do one more hit than his standard multi-hit sword skill and the total damage never seems to be above what I get from Brand's Blade (I typically get 4-7 hits of 1000-ish damage with limb from limb, but around 35,000 with Brand). Is there something I might be doing that's holding it back? As is, the one extra hit doesn't seem worth taking up a slot. Also, not sure what other skills of his I should have? I got the arrow skill that does up to like... a dozen high damage hits against all enemies. That's kinda the only learned skill I ever use.

Also, regarding the Timberain area, I couldn't figure out what's up with all the ghosts? I went into the old house but couldn't find any sort of boss. Also poked around the gazebo in the lake. Can't seem to find a related side quest either. Figure I must be missing something big.

Oh yeah, I also haven't found whatever Sealticge's thing is for Castti that everyone loves.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 19, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Limb from Limb scales well once you get into serious buffing territory (buff Hikari, debuff enemy, etc.). That said, it's not a must and you can certainly make do without it; I never got it and never felt like I was missing out that much, Hikari hits plenty hard as is.

As for it vs Aggressive Slash, Limb from Limb concentrates all its hits on a single enemy, while the latter is random targets, which can screw you over in multi-target fights. If you so wanted, Limb from Limb (I think) can also hit all enemies by using Sealticge's, making it nice for damage/breaking purposes.

Sealticge's is the Dancer Divine skill, so just learn all the skills for Dancer on someone to unlock it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ah, lol yeah I already have Sealticge's Seduction. For some reason, I kept reading it associated with Castti and assumed it was an ingredient she could mix, but never found anyone selling it. Oops.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Speaking of Hikari's skills, I'm not sure I get why limb from limb is so loved. It can only do one more hit than his standard multi-hit sword skill and the total damage never seems to be above what I get from Brand's Blade (I typically get 4-7 hits of 1000-ish damage with limb from limb, but around 35,000 with Brand). Is there something I might be doing that's holding it back? As is, the one extra hit doesn't seem worth taking up a slot. Also, not sure what other skills of his I should have? I got the arrow skill that does up to like... a dozen high damage hits against all enemies. That's kinda the only learned skill I ever use.

Also, regarding the Timberain area, I couldn't figure out what's up with all the ghosts? I went into the old house but couldn't find any sort of boss. Also poked around the gazebo in the lake. Can't seem to find a related side quest either. Figure I must be missing something big.

For the spoilered part The ghosts are searching for something. So you gotta find the thing they are looking for and bring it back to them.

And yeah, some of the really good damage set ups require specific equipment and junk to work. But none of that is necessary, I didn't use limb from limb either. Just use whatever skills you think work well, there's a lot of skills he can learn. He can learn utility skills too like rest and analyze.

Also one last thing I forgot. Most of the important NPCs from storylines will stick around after you finish the major stories. And almost all of them have side quests as well as high end equipment that you can liberate from them via various means. For example Rai Mei is back at her castle and you can buy her lightning spear if you want. So you got plenty of options if you want more to do.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 19, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ooh, yeah I’ll definitely track down those story NPCs then. Denouement side quests rule.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bugblatter posted:

Also poked around the gazebo in the lake. Can't seem to find a related side quest either.

IIRC the gazebo has a diary in it which gives you a hint for the other thing. Check if you have the Worn Journal already and just forgot where you picked it up.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

JuniperCake posted:

And yeah, some of the really good damage set ups require specific equipment and junk to work. But none of that is necessary, I didn't use limb from limb either. Just use whatever skills you think work well, there's a lot of skills he can learn. He can learn utility skills too like rest and analyze.

One cool utility skill for Hikari that I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention is Risk It All. I don't remember who exactly I got it off of, but it's available fairly early on. It gives another party member buffs to all their stats, in exchange for debuffs to Hikari himself. A bit situational on its own, but if you combine it with Osvald's Teach and/or Sealticge, you get an incredibly potent and efficient way to spread buffs around. And once you finish Agnea's story, you can just have her use Song Of Hope to keep everything online afterwards instead of needing to set up the whole combo again.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, lol yeah I already have Sealticge's Seduction. For some reason, I kept reading it associated with Castti and assumed it was an ingredient she could mix, but never found anyone selling it. Oops.

It works really well with Castti's EX skill that you get after beating her Chapter 4.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've slogged on, and basically every character is on Chapter 3 now. This is the point though where it's a lot harder and I really need to go out to grind up the people I don't use as much (I have Osvald, Odette and uh...Cassie? at level 31 but most others are low 20s) and I can't be bothered.
Man I wish levelling was faster! I kinda feel like if I beat up some level 30s then it should take someone who is level 19 up to at least 21!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think I did chapter 3 in the 20s. It’s more about gear and tactics.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Taear posted:

I've slogged on, and basically every character is on Chapter 3 now. This is the point though where it's a lot harder and I really need to go out to grind up the people I don't use as much (I have Osvald, Odette and uh...Cassie? at level 31 but most others are low 20s) and I can't be bothered.
Man I wish levelling was faster! I kinda feel like if I beat up some level 30s then it should take someone who is level 19 up to at least 21!

Yeah levels aren't too relevant, I was something like 10+ levels below recommended most of the game but I just really vibe with the tactics in the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I think I did chapter 3 in the 20s. It’s more about gear and tactics.

I mean I've beaten a bunch of the bosses but they're all a lot more effort now.
And when sometimes they'll suddenly kill you when they're very close to death after a 10 minute quite tense fight I can't be arsed doing it again

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I did the Tyrannolizard(?) boss last night with my A team but it was still pretty rough because it turns out that I got too used to alpha striking everything down in the first couple of turns and forgot how to do like, other stuff lol. Not touching OT2 for a few days didn't help either. Still beat it thanks to being overlevelled though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Taear posted:

I mean I've beaten a bunch of the bosses but they're all a lot more effort now.
And when sometimes they'll suddenly kill you when they're very close to death after a 10 minute quite tense fight I can't be arsed doing it again

Chapter 3 is about where you start needing to make tactical choices and can no longer just brute force your way past. Levels won’t avoid that need unless you grind way past the recommendation… which just does not seem like a fun way to play.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Chapter 3 is about where you start needing to make tactical choices and can no longer just brute force your way past. Levels won’t avoid that need unless you grind way past the recommendation… which just does not seem like a fun way to play.

I mean I thought I was making tactical choices! I just really don't like having to do fights again.
I guess I really am done now, I've uninstalled.

For me the "8 different stories" approach just doesn't work, it's too bitty and I don't feel like I'm missing out on seeing what happens next because I feel like I've read the first 1/4 of 8 different books

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if someone's personal ranking actually spelled out OCTOPATH? Seems very unlikely! But I'm sure they're out there.

I had a good start with Ochette and Castti, but then I hosed it up because Hikari/Agnea were basically tied for third spot, followed by Throne/Oswald on fourth, Partitio on five and Tremenos on sixth.

I'd get something like OCHATOPT with that. Like someone trying to say "OCTOPATH" but then sneezing midway through. :v:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Libluini posted:

I had a good start with Ochette and Castti, but then I hosed it up because Hikari/Agnea were basically tied for third spot, followed by Throne/Oswald on fourth, Partitio on five and Tremenos on sixth.

I'd get something like OCHATOPT with that. Like someone trying to say "OCTOPATH" but then sneezing midway through. :v:

COPTATOH for me.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
CTOTPAOH

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A HAPT COOT, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I hope the gimmick for Octopath Traveler 3 is that there’s actually 16 characters since “traveler” is also 8 letters.