Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Arson Daily posted:

His dad is the train conductor living in the caboose right? Or am I way way off base?
I came across a passage that made me think "oh that's why he was Suttree's dad" but then I came here to comment and realized it was actually someone else: the ragpicker based on "These boys have been at your things. You forgot about the gasoline I guess. Never got around to it. Did you really remember me? I couldnt remember my bear’s name. He had corduroy feet. My mother used to sew him up. She gave you sandwiches and apples. Gypsies used to come to the door. We were afraid of them. My sisters’ bears were Mischa and Bruin. I cant remember mine. I tried but I cant.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I feel like there's something to be said about bipolar disorder (of which I suffer) with the Suttree / antiSuttree; cat / countercat motifs. I'm still mulling it over mentally but there's definitely something there, if only a metaphor to help make the condition more understandable to non-sufferers.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 30, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

so, that is definitely one way to catch a bat

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked up Don Quixote and while there is alot of :words: going on its quite good so far. About 100 pages in.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Glad we got to meet the melon mounter again, I feared that he was out of the saga!

"A lank black slattern stood hipshot in the doorframe. Hey boydove, you getting any gravel for yo goose? Whoopla laughter scuttling after him and a gold tooth winksome, bawdy dogstar in the ordurous jaws of fellatio major."
lmao

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 2, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Harrogate's underground adventure :)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

You can’t deny the man is resourceful and innovative. Get him to Palo Alto in a Patagonia vest and he’d walk away with series A funding. He’s disrupting the pay phone industry.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 5, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

One weird trick to get free medical care! Hospital administrators hate it!

Finished it. I really liked it and had a lot of words about it and McCarthy in general but gently caress it. Easy come, easy go like my man Sut

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So before someone said that all of Suttree's woes were of his own making. I'm going to have to disagree with that read. I think Suttree's got a serious avoidant personality and avoiding responsibility definitely compounded his suffering though.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I feel like he d have left at any time, though. Here’s a question for the thread: why did he choose this life? Could he go back to his old life whenever or was he excommunicated for some unspoken sin?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
I am only a bit over halfway but think the unspoken sin was abandoning his wife and child. It is possible that he could return into his father's graces, but it would take a good deal of groveling and professing to be a changed man. Something he would never do. Even if he did he would always be a black sheep, but with a bit more money.

I do think that he could definitely reach a more normal life. The start of the book people repeatedly tell him of job options instead of fishing, but he always brushes it off. Maybe those would be no better I pay, but I doubt it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The scene with his mother visiting him early on when at the work camp suggests he could have left at any time but found it personally too painful

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

You run crazy in these woods regular do ye?
No, said Suttree. This is my first time.

Another instance of othersuttree appeared in this section too

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Harrogate also seems like the anti-Suttree, in that he's ambitious and industrious, while Suttree is handsome, educated, and from a well-off family,

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Tbf I'd rather have more adventures of harrogate than Sutree wallowing in whatever misery he's ginned up for himself.

Hot take: is Sutree a silent generation failson?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Finished it tonight, later than I would've liked. Many thoughts but none of them too insightful. McCarthy's writing is pleasantly laborious to read in a way that appeals to me somewhat specifically as someone who could stand to use more commas.

The way the witch precisely defines Ab Jones' desire for vengeance against whiteness and white violence was striking. Really liked that passage. I found Ab Jones perhaps the most compelling side character.

I did also like the way the book deals in binaries, which others have pointed out, down to his aunt in the asylum at the end with her companion. I also feel like the corpse in his houseboat bore a kind of sense of delayed vengeance for his participation in hiding the body of Leonard's father.

Suttree gets pretty Rust Cohle under duress. Would that we could all be so articulate with typhoid fever. His departure from Knoxville feels organic, with most of his friends dead or gone, but simultaneously cowardly. Leaves you with the feeling that you witnessed a sliver of something totally unremarkable. He tidily packs up one life after another; he wasn't really attached to that life, so it's kind of charmingly frustrating that we got sucked in anyway.

Anyway, I liked it a lot. I borrowed it from the library but will be buying a copy soon.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

holy poo poo why didn't someone warn me Don Quixote was so long

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

its long OP

Nearing the end of Suttree. I knew the mussel fishing expedition was not going to end well (nothing has so far) but, oof. Did not see that coming.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Had a thought, given all of this dualism. Might this work be about the antiSuttree? The reflection of a Suttree cast by dirty water on grimey roads? The one that all of the terrible outcomes happen? That, given this Suttree, there is another one who is not estranged from his family, is still happily married with a living child, etc?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

Yessss someone else is suffering with me.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Don Quixote 2023: Sancho Panza following señor Quixote around filming him with his phone screaming "world star!" over and over.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Three months of daily updates that start "Hey what up fam, me and my boy out here in the Sierra Morena"

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Had a thought, given all of this dualism. Might this work be about the antiSuttree? The reflection of a Suttree cast by dirty water on grimey roads? The one that all of the terrible outcomes happen? That, given this Suttree, there is another one who is not estranged from his family, is still happily married with a living child, etc?

Perhaps the one that gave him his lines returned to the real world.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Arson Daily posted:

Don Quixote 2023: Sancho Panza following señor Quixote around filming him with his phone screaming "world star!" over and over.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Three months of daily updates that start "Hey what up fam, me and my boy out here in the Sierra Morena"

Lmao

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I learned that there is one Suttree and one Suttree only

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

I learned that there is one Suttree and one Suttree only

Finished. Magnificent writing.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I'm really glad they let this book run another month. It's just a classic. I don't really have anything to say about it, but it's nice just all reading it.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
Just finished Suttree last week. I really struggled with the first third of the book. I have read some previous McCarthy books, so his style of punctuation (or lack of) was not a surprise. It was more that the prose, while beautiful, is obviously dense and can be difficult to follow at times. Since I normally read at night before going to bed, I don't think I was always prepared to give it the proper concentration.

At some point I adjusted when and how I was reading it and it just clicked with me. I am not going to say I breezed through it, but certainly moved at a steadier clip. Now that I am finished I am surprised how much I am still going back and thinking about different parts of it. It probably goes back to the prose, but it really does stick with you.

It is interesting to contrast to the other books of McCarthy that I have ready. Suttree had a lot more humor than I was expecting. Especially for a book where very few good things happen to Suttree, and even when things start to go well, it almost certainly is going to turn south. I guess it helps that it isn't entirely despair (like I remember from The Road), so it isn't as out of place when the humor hits. Almost anything with Gene in particular.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I agree on all counts. I started and stopped Suttree maybe 3 different times over the course of my 20s, and then returned to it last year and managed to get to a certain point in the book where I got into a rhythm and I luxuriated in it from that point on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Thank you all for a most excellent discussion. As always, feel free to continue to chat about Suttree but as it is now September it is now time for us to continue to our next book, which is...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Communion: A True Story by Whitley Streiber

quote:

Communion: A True Story is a book by American ufologist and horror author Whitley Strieber that was first published in February 1987. The book is based on the experiences of Whitley Strieber, who experiences "lost time" and terrifying flashbacks, which hypnosis undertaken by Budd Hopkins later links to an alleged encounter with aliens. Communion was a nonfiction best seller for six months in 1987.

The book was later made into a film directed by Philippe Mora and starring Christopher Walken as Strieber and Lindsay Crouse as his wife, Anne. A 2008 trade paperback edition presents a new preface by the author.

Strieber compares the "familiar" being he sees, whom he describes as female, to the Sumerian goddess Ishtar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GdJOANm9zU

...and for some listening to go along with it,

quote:

Swedish progressive metal band Evergrey's album In Search of Truth is a concept album based on the book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPz3SJv3LvQ

As usual, read as you will, post your thoughts as you go, and have fun! The government says UAPs are real, so who is driving them? :iiam:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I broke the tie for Communion.

I want you to know it was me. [/Olenna Tyrell]

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

escape artist posted:

I broke the tie for Communion.

I want you to know it was me. [/Olenna Tyrell]

You’d better read it and not shut up about it then because some of us were excited for Rocannon’s World!!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Sandwolf posted:

You’d better read it and not shut up about it then because some of us were excited for Rocannon’s World!!

:lol: I'm not enough of an rear end in a top hat to cast a tie-breaking vote for a book if I did not intend to participate

I have already acquired an audiobook copy and look forward to listening to it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just started this. It's written in a really disjointed fashion so far, probably largely reflecting the author's state of mind at the time of the events he is relating.

I had forgotten Strieber wrote The Hunger and Wolfen, made into two very 80s films

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

the melodramatic "yOuRe RuInInG a BeAuTiFuL mInD" sequence cut off by the bored midwestern alien asking wtf they need to do to get him to shut up just before popping him in the side of the head is great

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

I've only read the foreword so far, and "neurologists can't figure out what's wrong with my brain" isn't really adding to his credibility. Add in the argument that aliens have implanted false memories to discredit people, and it's like the foreword was added to stop anyone from taking the book seriously.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WEH posted:

the melodramatic "yOuRe RuInInG a BeAuTiFuL mInD" sequence cut off by the bored midwestern alien asking wtf they need to do to get him to shut up just before popping him in the side of the head is great

LET ME SMELL YOU

LMAO ok you know we piss out our skin right? Weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

When he's on the ground he says he can only move his eyes and then when he's in the ship he says that he is no longer completely paralyzed and can now move his eyes

I'm not sure this guy is on the up and up