Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Knormal posted:

Ctrl-Shift-T will reopen the last tab, no extension needed.

Yes it will. But my mouse doesn't have those buttons. I spend a significant amount of browsing time with neither hand on the keyboard, or with the keyboard shoved entirely out of the way to make room for a notebook or sandwich. :(

Thanks for mentioning it, because lord knows this poo poo isn't discoverable. I know tons of people who still don't know you can close tabs with middle click. They boggle when they see I've hidden close tab buttons entirely.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Messing around setting up kubuntu and I'm finding that the true constants across OSs are people trying to avoid firefox updates and the devs making that as hard as humanly possible.

You'd think at some point they'd take a look at themselves and what they're doing and ask "why are so many people willing to spend so many hours trying to get us to Stop, to Just loving Stop?"

Seriously, I started learning about how to prevent this automatic update thing because of firefox, but when reading general/overview information articles and guides about it, they almost all used "prevent firefox updates" as their example, so everyone else is in on it too.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 15, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nitrousoxide posted:

This sort of does it, but then you have the row of tabs at top still so it's a ton of wasted space.

Can someone explain to me the value of vertical tabs? I've been seeing like 5 different browsers try to implement it and it seems awful. It uses up like 1/5 of the screen real estate to show you all the pages you don't have open.

I suppose if you have one of those ridiculously wide monitors it could be okay. Even then, I can't get over how wasteful of space it feels, even if the rest of my screen is more than large enough.

Also, it pushes webpages off-centre which is just a huge no for me.

101 posted:

If you have lots of tabs, it's much more usable. You can actually read the titles and see a lot more at once (I know you can increase the max width, but it's still not great) without losing track.

Arc has by far the best implementation of this, tab groups, and pinned tabs I've seen (not to mention PiP and folders). I just wish it had proper bookmarks.

I have my CSS set up to have multiple rows of tabs with a set minimum width. It's the one thing I want in a browser as someone who has a lot of tabs open at a time on occasion.

If I couldn't have that, I would stop using Firefox.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 15, 2023

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Atopian posted:

Messing around setting up kubuntu and I'm finding that the true constants across OSs are people trying to avoid firefox updates and the devs making that as hard as humanly possible.

You'd think at some point they'd take a look at themselves and what they're doing and ask "why are so many people willing to spend so many hours trying to get us to Stop, to Just loving Stop?"

Seriously, I started learning about how to prevent this automatic update thing because of firefox, but when reading general/overview information articles and guides about it, they almost all used "prevent firefox updates" as their example, so everyone else is in on it too.

Please at least install the ESR version instead of turning off updates entirely.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yes it will. But my mouse doesn't have those buttons. I spend a significant amount of browsing time with neither hand on the keyboard, or with the keyboard shoved entirely out of the way to make room for a notebook or sandwich. :(

Do you have a Logitech mouse or one with programmable buttons?

Logitech G Hub lets you assign macros to mouse buttons and I could not live without it. I have my scrollwheel set to reopen tabs if I click it in.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Thanks for mentioning it, because lord knows this poo poo isn't discoverable. I know tons of people who still don't know you can close tabs with middle click. They boggle when they see I've hidden close tab buttons entirely.

you need one of those MMO mice with accordion quantities of programmable side buttons

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Atopian posted:

There are also a lot of people on the internet who don't want vaccines, but that sure as gently caress doesn't mean vaccines are bad.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do you have a Logitech mouse or one with programmable buttons?

Logitech G Hub lets you assign macros to mouse buttons and I could not live without it. I have my scrollwheel set to reopen tabs if I click it in.

:2monocle: not sure why I didn't think of this. It's not like I use the DPI buttons, but it never occurred to me to check if they're programmable. Will check when I get home.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Freakazoid_ posted:

Since the recent update, I've been having occasional issues with opening new tabs into a google search. Like if I highlight text and right-click > search google, the new tab shows up but it gets hung up and the site doesn't load. It only happens with the first tab though, if I repeat the action into a second tab it works.

I have narrowed this down mostly to gstatic.com and sometimes google.com. Neither uBlock Origin nor uMatrix are interfering as far as I can tell. I don't know what else I can do to alleviate these random load issues.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mouse gestures are a fantastic help here. I use Gesturefy, which still isn't as good as the mouse gestures that Opera had built-in back in the day, but it works. The big exception is that it doesn't work where extensions aren't trusted - so on addons.mozilla.org, the new tab page, etc., you'll have to do without.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Klyith posted:

There are also a lot of people on the internet who don't want vaccines, but that sure as gently caress doesn't mean vaccines are bad.

Unfortunately in this analogy getting a vaccine also has a decent chance of rearranging your living room, and if you ask about why the gently caress those two things are linked, people just repeat "but vaccines are good!" over and over.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
people just won't be happy until they can replicate the look and feel of windows 95

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's because Windows 98 was almost perfect

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I don't really mind what UI style is used, as long as it stays consistent.
A web browser, like an OS or a productivity app, isn't an end in itself, it's a means by which I achieve my ends. As such, I don't have a of of time and patience budgeted for relearning UI properties / tricks / etc. Its purpose is to stably and reliably help me get things done that I actually want/need to do.

However, there seem to be a lot of people who disagree with this and wish to make regular changes.
That would be completely fine if they didn't go:
i) We will bundle UI changes with security updates
ii) We will make updates automatic and compulsory because of security.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Nalin posted:

people just won't be happy until they can replicate the look and feel of windows 95

I'm very happy with new OS experiences. When I jumped ship to Ubuntu in 2012, I learned to love the Unity environment. They've tried to go back to a 'start menu' style recently I and refuse, not out of fearing change, but out of disappointment in regressing rather than trying to advance stuff. Heck, iOS doesn't seem all that terrible every time I get exposed it to (even though I can't stand the lack of functionality).

Similarly, when I've tried out a new utility, I'm really willing to learn it if it seems good & useful. It's why I still prefer mplayer shells to VLC (brainworms, I know), and still lug around irfanview via WINE; because I found something new and amazing years ago, learned to love it over what I was using previously, and the drat things don't constantly move poo poo around. As the poster put above me, the web browser is mostly an invisible backend to enjoy the wonderful internet. I only care about the browser itself when I need to fiddle with something, aka poweruser stuff; my preferred UX is 'invisible, until I need to use a menu for something'. So constantly altering menu orderings, visible options, etc, is aggravating.

I'm repeating myself here, but I will end on this: if Firefox does a huge freaking "new amazing style! opt-in to our sleek new poo poo" every 5 or 7 years while keeping a slowly aging legacy UI, I'd probably be at the forefront of trying it out. Instead I'm in this thread to keep abreast of whatever poo poo I need to revert.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Atopian posted:

I don't really mind what UI style is used, as long as it stays consistent.
A web browser, like an OS or a productivity app, isn't an end in itself, it's a means by which I achieve my ends. As such, I don't have a of of time and patience budgeted for relearning UI properties / tricks / etc. Its purpose is to stably and reliably help me get things done that I actually want/need to do.

However, there seem to be a lot of people who disagree with this and wish to make regular changes.
That would be completely fine if they didn't go:
i) We will bundle UI changes with security updates
ii) We will make updates automatic and compulsory because of security.

If you get Firefox ESR, you only have to deal with any UI changes once a year or so while still getting security updates.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

If they'd make it every ~3 years, they'd have a deal.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has much changed with the UI in the past 3 years?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I really wish there was a way to migrate a Firefox profile to ESR, as I kinda wanna get back on that release.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I really wish there was a way to migrate a Firefox profile to ESR, as I kinda wanna get back on that release.

I think it can be done, you just need to wait for a new major ESR when the versions match.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Saukkis posted:

I think it can be done, you just need to wait for a new major ESR when the versions match.
So don't use the browser for a few months?
That's not a very appealing idea.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

So don't use the browser for a few months?
That's not a very appealing idea.

You're not using nightly, are you. You are already too late, but when Firefox 138 or so is released switch to ESR immediately.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Saukkis posted:

You're not using nightly, are you. You are already too late, but when Firefox 138 or so is released switch to ESR immediately.
I don't think so, but it's not an official build either - FreeBSD builds their own releases of all the software, so the only thing in the about page is this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

I don't think so, but it's not an official build either - FreeBSD builds their own releases of all the software, so the only thing in the about page is this:

Current ESR is 115.1, so you should be able to switch if you can find a BSD ESR from somewhere. Actually, I suspect that is already ESR because the current main version is 116.0.3.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
116.0.3 seems to have fixed my google related issues.

It's pretty rare for any sort of firefox bug to be noticed by me, but I think this is the second one this year.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Did 117.0b8 screw up anyone else's mouse buttons? Forward and back are suddenly open bookmarks and Ctrl+Shift+M.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Current ESR is 115.1, so you should be able to switch if you can find a BSD ESR from somewhere. Actually, I suspect that is already ESR because the current main version is 116.0.3.
Well, finding ESR for FreeBSD is easy, but it's not quite that new.
I imagine cmt@ is working on bumping the port, so the package should be available relatively soon.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What level of enshittification is it when you have to gently caress with the tab completion because you're legally obligated to tell your users you're selling their suggestions?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pseudorandom name posted:

What level of enshittification is it when you have to gently caress with the tab completion because you're legally obligated to tell your users you're selling their suggestions?

FF does that? Got a link?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Serephina posted:

FF does that? Got a link?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-suggest-faq I think?

But tabs still show up in the suggestions even if you've turned off all the enshittified sponsored / web result options.

It's just real bad at putting a tab with your text higher than history. If I do ctrl+t right now and type "reply", I get 9 results from history and not this tab here. And that's because, by and large, normal people don't use the keyboard to navigate UI. They switch tabs by clicking with the mouse.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Every single entry in your suggestions list has a ... widget on the right with the legally mandated warning link that's in the Tab order so now you have to press Tab twice as many times to navigate the list.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I was wondering why I couldn't pull to refresh anymore on two different devices, turns out Mozilla just quietly changed the default for that feature to off. You can re-enable it manually in the settings or you can wait for them to fix however many bugs it is that made them decide to flip that toggle.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

isndl posted:

I was wondering why I couldn't pull to refresh anymore on two different devices, turns out Mozilla just quietly changed the default for that feature to off. You can re-enable it manually in the settings or you can wait for them to fix however many bugs it is that made them decide to flip that toggle.

For things like that it's more likely that a dev has a personal grudge against the feature and fantasized a user story to justify loving up features. Wouldn't be the first time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have refreshed so many pages trying to scroll back to the top. I think it's still worth it on average, but I can easily see how someone with slightly different reading habits than me would not. Finding a reason to default it off doesn't require constructing any wildly implausible strawmen.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Geemer posted:

For things like that it's more likely that a dev has a personal grudge against the feature and fantasized a user story to justify loving up features. Wouldn't be the first time.

They have a meta bug ticket with a whole stack of issues listed, though whether any of it is enough of a problem that warranted changing the default behavior is outside my expertise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

pseudorandom name posted:

Every single entry in your suggestions list has a ... widget on the right with the legally mandated warning link that's in the Tab order so now you have to press Tab twice as many times to navigate the list.

Ah, right, misunderstood what you meant. I never used tab to scroll down the autocomplete (I use down arrow) and so the ... widget escaped my notice.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
TIL you can disable a website's custom right-click menu by holding shift then right-click. This has made me hate the Discord web app less.

Also, Youtube has been more active in sneaking ads past ublock origin. I've been getting partially working ads once in a while, where the audio plays but the video doesn't. They must be working pretty fast too because I just got another one even after purging cache and forcing updates.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Freakazoid_ posted:

TIL you can disable a website's custom right-click menu by holding shift then right-click

Does this work for sites which disallow right-clicks altogether?

It'd be nice to use one less niche extension.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Do any still exist besides discord? Give me some examples so I can try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Google drive?