Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Vanguard Warden posted:

Yeah, the explicit rules for what reveals you without GM permissiveness are excessively strict. Like Hunt Prey would technically reveal you, and I don't even know what kind of physical act that would even be.

[img-Elmer Fudd tiptoeing]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We finished Gatewalkers part 1 a bit ago tonight. The AP was fun and interesting, but a bit goofier than I expected, or maybe that was just how the GM played it and did the characters. I think we all had fun, lots of annoying whiffs, a handful of clutch crits. We did have 6 players and he didn't rebalance it at all and still we struggled through a few encounters. Nobody ever got downed though we were often sitting at 3-5 hp and had plenty of medicine fests to heal each other up. Reach spell + chill touch turned out to be my cosmos oracle's best spell besides bless and magic weapon. Did a few emergency heals, and got each of my weak focus spells to do something neat once or twice.

We're actually thinking of taking a break before starting part 2 to mess around with some 5e. The GM is more used to it, and everyone is hyped from Baldurs Gate 3. Everyone's kind of waiting for the pathfinder revamp coming relatively soon as well. The GM mentioned he was tired of seeing everyone do the exact same things with their character all the time. The champion was always attack grapple raise shield liberating step, the ranger hunt prey shoot shoot sometimes gravity weapon, and so on. We all did recall knowledge and demoralize from time to time. Our special powers from the adventure pack got little use, I think we each used it like twice aside from the barbarian who missed titan swing 4 times tonight (which sucks with it costing 2 actions). I used my ghostly grasp twice, once to steal a disarmed weapon (guy turned out to be a mage and just blasted us) and once to recover some loot from a pile of dung.

In retrospect knowing my GM and players better now, I wish I'd gone with the wacky kobold druid instead of the dour elf cosmos oracle but I'll look forward to finishing out his story if we keep going. We'll find out in two weeks, as people recover from a very late night (with some coming tipsy from a renn faire) and decide what their vote is.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 20, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mirage posted:

[img-Elmer Fudd tiptoeing]

No you gotta do that "watching you" gesture your you make a V pointing at your eyes then pointing at their eyes.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bagrada posted:

We finished Gatewalkers part 1 a bit ago tonight. The AP was fun and interesting, but a bit goofier than I expected, or maybe that was just how the GM played it and did the characters.

Honestly, Gatewalkers (and 2e's occult-themed stuff in general) feels like it's aiming for an X Files style serialized show more than anything. Which honestly fits the general tone a lot better than the Cthulhu and Victorian occultists tone 1e took with them.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that your party hasn't been using your deviant abilities that often. They're cool, but they also feel a bit niche tactically.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I'm gonna start playing a swashbuckler next month. Any thoughts on style? I'm leaning toward Wit, but Fencer looks tempting. (None of the other styles really fit the character concept I'm going for.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

5-Headed Snake God posted:

I'm gonna start playing a swashbuckler next month. Any thoughts on style? I'm leaning toward Wit, but Fencer looks tempting. (None of the other styles really fit the character concept I'm going for.)

Fencer is (as far as I understand Swashbuckler) the much safer pick, just because you can feint against basically anything and get panache vs Bon Mot requiring you to actually talk to someone. Still, in the right team comp (ie: other PCs target Will a lot and you can flank pretty easily, and you're reasonably confident this campaign will involve a lot of things you can make bon mots to) Wit is still a perfectly fine choice.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Wit justifies its existence with One For All, which means you really want to be a human for the +4 competence bonus. If you don't want to be a human whose primary role in combat is supporting another, better martial play something else.

Pistolero and Wit Swashbucklers are some of the best enablers in the game. They aren't bad but it isn't a role for every player.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 20, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Note that you can also do Adopted Ancestry Human if that's not to your taste, which I did.

One for All is absolutely amazing, though you need to manage it carefully. Bon Mot for panache is also very strong (even though my team constantly failed to coordinate with me for it).

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Might go Fencer, then. I'm playing a Catfolk and while one of the other players is playing a psychic, apart from that we've got two kineticists and a rogue multiclassing into champion. Doesn't feel like I'd get a huge amount of mileage about of Bon Mot or One For All.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a little confused- does this bundle include PDFs of the various sourcebooks, or just like modules for HeroLabs?

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/wolflair-heros-lab-software-bundle-software

Thinking about getting it, but I don't use HeroLabs...

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Looking for more cool monsters and thinking about different encounter compositions.

I found the Blood Ooze (https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/pathfinder2e/creatures/blood-ooze) and thought it seemed appropriate for my adventure. As a level 4 monster it would, according to the guidelines, be an 80XP moderate encounter for a level 2 party.

I clicked the dice simulator a few times on its +15 10-foot-reach 1d12+8 attack (also a 1d6 bleed), just to get a sense for what it would look like to throw this thing out there. The first two rolls were crits that did 34 and 40 damage, enough to oneshot any level 2 character. My players would probably have access to one cast of heal and one cast of soothe, but I was kind of shocked by how nasty those numbers are. I feel like this could easily have been a TPK if I got those rolls in a real session, which was surprising to see from a "moderate" encounter.

Now, I understand that PF2's biggest threats come from single higher level enemy encounters, but I had thought you would need to get into the severe 120xp (+3 bosses) or higher range before you get into the really nutty stuff. Maybe this is more exacerbated at low levels and it's better to stick with on-level or only +1 enemies until they're a bit higher? It's possible I'm underestimating my players and they would have gotten back on their feet and quickly identified that the Ooze's pitiful 10 foot movespeed, but I'm still a bit spooked.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sticking with +1 max is fine, but, really, it's an ooze- even if someone hasn't absorbed his they work via osmosis, it's a perfect chance to teach them not to end their turn next to the dangerous monster. Especially since it takes 3 actions to move the distance most players can move in one.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Braggart is absurdly good because the action it's attached to, Demoralize, is itself absurdly good.

Every Swashbuckler style is designed around performing the associated action to gain panache, then performing a finisher in the same turn if possible to maximize use of finishers. Demoralize is not only the action associated to a style that gets the most use in groups even without a Swashbuckler, but with feats like You're Next and Battlecry you can often cheat them out as free actions or reactions to get more hits in. The ability for Braggarts to bypass the cooldown on Demoralize attempts with finishers is also completely unique and unattainable in any other form as far as I can tell.

Extras include adding the Hobgoblin ancestry for even more upgrades to your Demoralize, and/or Monk archetype to become a fantasy professional wrestler.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Does anyone know how the Hellknight test works in second edition? In first you apparently had to fight a devil of equal or more hit die than your character but fighting a devil of same level as you, alone, in 2e seems much more daunting.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm a little confused- does this bundle include PDFs of the various sourcebooks, or just like modules for HeroLabs?

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/wolflair-heros-lab-software-bundle-software

Thinking about getting it, but I don't use HeroLabs...

It's just the Hero Lab Online content. (Note: no "s", and there's a space.) This is their online platform, not the previous standalone app, so it does have a small subscription fee on top of the content price (the bundle includes 6 months coverage).

I used to be a Hero Lab advocate, but after a decent first couple of years with HLO the company has gone back to their old pattern of absolute silence to customers while the company owner and lead dev works himself to death on god-only-knows-what and acts like a martyr about it in the extremely rare moments he talks to anyone at all, and their server-first infrastructure limits them hard compared to the rate of updates that Pathbuilder has as a one-man shop.

The one use case where it really does shine is if you have a in-person group who use character sheets on tablets: the GM can get the slightly-pricier GM subscription, link everyone's accounts, and have the sheets all linked together so everyone has live-updating read access to each others' sheets and can easily transfer stuff between them. For online play it's superfluous if you're using a decent platform like Foundry, though for Roll20 it's still way better than all the built-in character functionality.

Edit: They also spent an apparently significant amount of time developing their 'Vault Viewer', which is basically... a fancier-looking version of AoN's itemization and cross-linking, presented in an ebook-style format matching the book's flow. Which is nice, I guess, but if I'm willing to actually spend money on this stuff then I've already got the PDFs, and I can actually send AoN links to other people.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 21, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gwaihir posted:

ooze
absorbed ... via osmosis

Heh.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Scoss posted:

Looking for more cool monsters and thinking about different encounter compositions.

I found the Blood Ooze (https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/pathfinder2e/creatures/blood-ooze) and thought it seemed appropriate for my adventure. As a level 4 monster it would, according to the guidelines, be an 80XP moderate encounter for a level 2 party.

I clicked the dice simulator a few times on its +15 10-foot-reach 1d12+8 attack (also a 1d6 bleed), just to get a sense for what it would look like to throw this thing out there. The first two rolls were crits that did 34 and 40 damage, enough to oneshot any level 2 character. My players would probably have access to one cast of heal and one cast of soothe, but I was kind of shocked by how nasty those numbers are. I feel like this could easily have been a TPK if I got those rolls in a real session, which was surprising to see from a "moderate" encounter.

Now, I understand that PF2's biggest threats come from single higher level enemy encounters, but I had thought you would need to get into the severe 120xp (+3 bosses) or higher range before you get into the really nutty stuff. Maybe this is more exacerbated at low levels and it's better to stick with on-level or only +1 enemies until they're a bit higher? It's possible I'm underestimating my players and they would have gotten back on their feet and quickly identified that the Ooze's pitiful 10 foot movespeed, but I'm still a bit spooked.

yeah it has an ac of 12, move speed 10, and is mindless. It’s a trivial encounter with tactics.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
If you were to encounter a Blood Ooze in an open field it would be easy enough to kite it, but I feel like enemies with tiny move speeds also naturally end up fighting the party in cramped areas and via ambush, so it's somewhat harder to take advantage of its movement than you suggest.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Blood Ooze was originally published in Fall of Plaguestone, the first PF2e adventure where the system hadn't been totally finalized yet.

You are likely level 2 when you fight it, it's got a nasty reputation as a result. Good chance you fight it and another level 4 monster at the same time.

Did a podcast about this particular encounter actually https://theadventuringparty.libsyn.com/death-save-mar-2021-deadliest-encounters-the-sculptor

If you know what to do while fighting this, which is stay 30 feet away and pepper it with ranged attacks, the fight is manageable. If you move into melee with it, character(s) can be in for a nasty shock, a crit on the main attack and potentially a crit fail on the fort save for Siphon Vitality and you can be looking at a character on the ground and then you need to move in and retrieve them, a maneuver that can get complicated.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

Does anyone know how the Hellknight test works in second edition? In first you apparently had to fight a devil of equal or more hit die than your character but fighting a devil of same level as you, alone, in 2e seems much more daunting.

It’s in the Lost Omens Character Guide. “The Hellknight Test is simple: an armiger must best an immortal champion of Hell whose power in combat mirrors her own.” is the definition it gives (also says it must be single combat). A strict reading of the signifer archetype feats suggests it’s a level 5 or below devil summoned using summon fiend, but the text itself doesn’t specify. I think it’s got some leeway so the GM can make it appropriately challenging, but it is supposed to be a fight to the death and by level 5 a character is probably pretty resilient.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Scoss posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said about the encounter, there is indeed an issue with +2/+3 level enemies at low levels, because the HP buffer is lower and you have a lot fewer options. Once you get to levels 3-5 that specifically isn't nearly as much of an issue, but at level 2 (and especially one) it's something to keep in mind.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I threw a +3 enemy at the party, not as a serious fight but as a narrative point, and the first thing it did was land a critical hit with a shocking warhammer on the champion, destroying their shield and knocking them prone and dropping them from full health to 2 HP. They actually did serious damage to it in the one round they engaged with it, but holy moly do +x encounters not gently caress around.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Arivia posted:

It’s in the Lost Omens Character Guide. “The Hellknight Test is simple: an armiger must best an immortal champion of Hell whose power in combat mirrors her own.” is the definition it gives (also says it must be single combat). A strict reading of the signifer archetype feats suggests it’s a level 5 or below devil summoned using summon fiend, but the text itself doesn’t specify. I think it’s got some leeway so the GM can make it appropriately challenging, but it is supposed to be a fight to the death and by level 5 a character is probably pretty resilient.

I suppose that means part of it will be up to GM fiat anyways but so far from what I'm reading you are kind of required to link back up with your order to take this test? Since they summon the devil for you? Or does beating any devil count?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

yeah it has an ac of 12, move speed 10, and is mindless. It’s a trivial encounter with tactics.

immune to precision and crits though, crying in rogue

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

I suppose that means part of it will be up to GM fiat anyways but so far from what I'm reading you are kind of required to link back up with your order to take this test? Since they summon the devil for you? Or does beating any devil count?

The order needs to summon the devil OR another hellknight who’s undergone the test needs to have seen you kill a devil in single combat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Oozes are a balanced encounter if you know the tactics. If you don't, and especially that Blood Ooze which was in an intro adventure when the system had just been released, you're in huge trouble. Same with Golems.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Oozes are anti fun if you are a swashbuckler or a rogue

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Andrast posted:

Oozes are anti fun if you are a swashbuckler or a rogue

Which, is fine if you have a balanced party and they aren't every encounter - I appreciate having a fight where my particular brand of bullshit doesn't work and I need to get creative and find ways to help my friends shine.

On the other hand, if the party consists of a Swashbuckler, a Rogue, a Fighter, and an Occult caster...

what I'm saying is that while you can make a lot of party comps work in PF2E, and the days of "EVERY GROUP MUST HAVE A CLERIC AND A WIZARD" are long dead, there's still a lot of value in taking a moment to look at a group and thinking "is there something that this particular comp can't do, or that this particular group is going to struggle with because all of their tools depend on X".

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I like Hero Lab fine for character management (especially PFS) and that Humble Bundle is a hell of a deal but I don't get why people care about the developer being weird or whatever. Like... why do I care? When do I need to talk to the developer of some character management product

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just had third session (we play weekly for 1.5hr) of BB on Foundry, and the combat feels a lot more dynamic without the threat of everyone having an AOO. Kobold makes an attack and scampers away, etc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

Which, is fine if you have a balanced party and they aren't every encounter - I appreciate having a fight where my particular brand of bullshit doesn't work and I need to get creative and find ways to help my friends shine.

On the other hand, if the party consists of a Swashbuckler, a Rogue, a Fighter, and an Occult caster...

what I'm saying is that while you can make a lot of party comps work in PF2E, and the days of "EVERY GROUP MUST HAVE A CLERIC AND A WIZARD" are long dead, there's still a lot of value in taking a moment to look at a group and thinking "is there something that this particular comp can't do, or that this particular group is going to struggle with because all of their tools depend on X".

Alternatively you're paizo making a slime focused adventure and then put in a swashbuckler as one of the premades

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My group plays on Foundry via a The Forge server. Is it still the going advice to not upgrade to V11 yet or is it fine now?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Epi Lepi posted:

My group plays on Foundry via a The Forge server. Is it still the going advice to not upgrade to V11 yet or is it fine now?

V11 is fine.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Been running v11 for weeks and not had any problems.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the ony 'don't upgrade' advice that matters (other than "wait for the PF2 module to update alongside it before doing the Foundry update," which we're long past for v11), is that as of a version or two ago, the PF2 module uses remaster rules and remaster terminology wherever it can. If you want to stick w/ pre re-master PF2E (either because you are an insane grog, or, more charitably, if you just don't want to make adjustments in the middle of a running campaign), then you want the last update before Rage of Elements was added, and you basically never want to update again. (Unless/until someone makes a No Remaster fork or whatever, I guess, which I'm sure some alignment loving grog is hard at work on.)

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
How far out are we from the remaster text being released properly? I'd like to have the updated terminology handy so my prospective players/GMs and I don't get confused by the changeover.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

ZZT the Fifth posted:

How far out are we from the remaster text being released properly? I'd like to have the updated terminology handy so my prospective players/GMs and I don't get confused by the changeover.

Last I checked, full release was November.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Epi Lepi posted:

In the middle of the Abomination Vaults, upgraded, it went fine. So throw another one on the "V11 seems to work fine" pile.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Player Core and GM Core release in November, but all published work, starting from Rage of Elements, use Remaster language and rules, so anything that those new books between now and then interact with, such as new names for conditions like Flat Footed becoming Off Guard, is out.

(That mostly means the next few months of Adventure Paths, and the usuallbatch of monsters, magic items and maybe an archetype included at the back of each; I don't think there's any new Lost Omens drops left for this year, and we won't see another Rulebook a la Rage of Elements for at least a year - though we'll get some playtest/preview info in about a week)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

In the middle of the Abomination Vaults, upgraded, it went fine. So throw another one on the "V11 seems to work fine" pile.

I've been using https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2e-item-revitalizer to make sure all my PCs and NPCs have updated items/spells. Has false positives when things are altered for flavor/specific instance, but pretty easy to drag from the report and drop the new onto character sheets.