Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It’s Hulk, and then Honky Tonk Man a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd say Cena's reign as the franchise gave the target audience everything it wanted, but of course he never actually held onto the belt for more than a few months.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd say Cena's reign as the franchise gave the target audience everything it wanted, but of course he never actually held onto the belt for more than a few months.
he had two separate year long reigns

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, Austin was the one that never held onto the belt. He had the title six times with the longest reign being five months. Every other one was three months or less.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I forgot there are actually two years when the WWE Championship was good it was just the time the fans thought it was bad, because they only like bad things.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

but can he overcome the odds

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I loved Bret Hart’s first World title reign. It was such a change of pace from traditional WWF programming to see the champ out there defending the title all the time against a wide variety of challengers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lid posted:

but can he overcome the odds

No way, the Big Show is just too big

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

When did Vince start with "don't wear the belt?"

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
How tight was the control over the NWA belts during the territory days? Would it be possible for Mid-South to book Ric Flair for a few weeks, have Ric drop the belt to local baby face champion at the start of a loop then gain it back after a few shows before he moved on to the next territory?

Or was it Champions win unless the council says so.

Were champions with a given territory for multiple shows in a row? Or did they do a show for Florida Monday, Texas Wednesday, Atlanta Thursday and Friday, then the weekend in Portland?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

For the NWA title it was tightly controlled by the council and it didn't change hands unless the council said so except in very rare circumstances (Like Flair losing to Jack Veneno). Even the short reigns of Baba in Japan were approved by the council

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

For the NWA title it was tightly controlled by the council and it didn't change hands unless the council said so except in very rare circumstances (Like Flair losing to Jack Veneno). Even the short reigns of Baba in Japan were approved by the council

They were even really picky about how Flair could lose. He took a pinfall in a tag match (I don't even think it was clean) and they didn't let the belt go to Continental ever again, despite it being a place Ric liked to work.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Nystral posted:

Were champions with a given territory for multiple shows in a row? Or did they do a show for Florida Monday, Texas Wednesday, Atlanta Thursday and Friday, then the weekend in Portland?

I think they usually did short title programs in various places with enough time to build up matches with the local main event guy, but longer programs in their home territories.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How did angles work in the territories at a time when TV viewers let alone having TV weren't really a given for a territory? Did it just mean angles where always something fairly simple you could get over in like a minute promo or something? how'd you keep up with the angle if you weren't literally at the show every week? was there like a program they'd hand out which explained stuff for people at the show?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

How did angles work in the territories at a time when TV viewers let alone having TV weren't really a given for a territory? Did it just mean angles where always something fairly simple you could get over in like a minute promo or something? how'd you keep up with the angle if you weren't literally at the show every week? was there like a program they'd hand out which explained stuff for people at the show?

TV viewers were a given. Territorial TV was very popular.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

Territories without TV didn't really last, and a lot of the NWA promoters had ins with the press and local advertisers/sponsors who could help promote shows. Angles were indeed very simple and wrestling was highly rated in certain markets, especially ones without other sports rooted in the city (Memphis, Portland at one time).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I'm asking this here because it's neutral ground.

Sheamus vs Rush. Who you got?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Wrestling has been on tv since the late 40s. The 50s is considered the golden age largely due to the massive popularity boost tv gave wrestling.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Rush

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

ChrisBTY posted:

This is a lot harder a question than I thought it would be :psyduck: I think RUSH has the advantage of a faster and more dynamic ring style just by virtue of not being in the WWE system but Sheamus with a year back on the indies would crush most competitors and he's a huge muscular dude that towers over a lot of folks he could fight. They're both cool and charismatic and beat the hell out of people. I'd say RUSH now but only just.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Defenestrategy posted:

By a certain point folks either had TV or they'd been going to the matches every Friday night or whenever that it wasn't really an issue. It is kind of funny to imagine that then TV was basically advertising for house shows, to see how far things have come. I remember a fun Ron Fuller promo that was basically "screw you, you don't get to see me fight for free" from like '79 or so.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Nystral posted:

How tight was the control over the NWA belts during the territory days? Would it be possible for Mid-South to book Ric Flair for a few weeks, have Ric drop the belt to local baby face champion at the start of a loop then gain it back after a few shows before he moved on to the next territory?

Or was it Champions win unless the council says so.

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1396440853271486469

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Those days off where probably not actually days off either because theyre the day after arriving from a long haul flight.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I love stuff that shows the schedule laid out like that with all. It really puts it in perspective. Which there was more of that around.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Alabama to Toronto to Kansas city in 3 days lmao gently caress that

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah, a lot of the time the champ would tell the NWA bookers he wanted to drop the belt because he was getting tired of the travel.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MrBling posted:

Yeah, a lot of the time the champ would tell the NWA bookers he wanted to drop the belt because he was getting tired of the travel.

And somehow Dory Funk Jr held it for over 4 years, '69 to '73. Pretty ludicrous run and yet Lou Thesz went even longer, over 6 from 1949. Did they even have airmiles for him to collect that far back?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Kuala Lumpur back to Charlotte, in the 1970s traveling (so much smoke in that plane), and then one day off before working again? Guarantee that’s going through Tokyo, so 6 hours there, a good 12 to…Atlanta? New York? Not sure which would’ve been the route to Tokyo back then. And the local back home.

And work the next day.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

And somehow Dory Funk Jr held it for over 4 years, '69 to '73. Pretty ludicrous run and yet Lou Thesz went even longer, over 6 from 1949. Did they even have airmiles for him to collect that far back?

No but flights were probably a nickel each

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alaois posted:

Unfortunately a nickel was 8 years salary back then

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
It was how Hogan wrestled more than 365 days a year,

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

the most important part of wrestling training is learning how to lug your bags through airports without getting gassed

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Venomous posted:

the most important part of wrestling training is learning how to lug your bags through airports without getting gassed

RIP paul bearer, had to carry undertaker's heavy rear end urn with industrial sized light in it through customs for years

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

Flights in the '70s and early '80s were twice as expensive as they are today since the industry (specifically how specific routes are serviced) was more heavily regulated than today

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Flair was probably driving for lots of those too

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrBling posted:

On "The History of the World Heaveyweight Title" DVD, Jack Brisco told the story about how when he was NWA World Champion, the travel was so exhausting, he would have no idea where he was night after night. He said the first thing he did when he lost the title was he flew home, and didn't leave his home for a month.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

harperdc posted:

Kuala Lumpur back to Charlotte, in the 1970s traveling (so much smoke in that plane).
Childhood trauma memories unlocked of throwing up at least once on literally every single international flight when smoking was still allowed, and throwing up precisely zero times on flights ever since it was banned

I am sure the secret to not being sick was just starting smoking yourself as a lad

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

On "The History of the World Heaveyweight Title" DVD, Jack Brisco told the story about how when he was NWA World Champion, the travel was so exhausting, he would have no idea where he was night after night. He said the first thing he did when he lost the title was he flew home, and didn't leave his home for a month.

Terry Funk told a story from when he was champ where he was supposed to have a meeting with an NWA executive, but he'd gotten loaded the night before, then went to an all night diner to have steak and eggs at like 3 am. He shows up to the meeting still a bit drunk, with food stains on his suit from the meal, the executive takes a look at him and immediately makes up an excuse that he has to be somewhere else.

He also said this was his wakeup call as far as wanting/needing to drop the belt, and he lost to Harley Race in Toronto a month later.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Terry Funk told a story from when he was champ where he was supposed to have a meeting with an NWA executive, but he'd gotten loaded the night before, then went to an all night diner to have steak and eggs at like 3 am. He shows up to the meeting still a bit drunk, with food stains on his suit from the meal, the executive takes a look at him and immediately makes up an excuse that he has to be somewhere else.

He also said this was his wakeup call as far as wanting/needing to drop the belt, and he lost to Harley Race in Toronto a month later.

Sounds like the only way to have a decent time and be world champion back then was to not be married, not have kids, have someone to book all your travel arrangements and not like to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

the sex ghost posted:

RIP paul bearer, had to carry undertaker's heavy rear end urn with industrial sized light in it through customs for years

I was just wondering about Taker.

Were there any stories about Taker having locker room problems early on in WWF. It seems a young kid coming in and being given the gimmick "never sell, always win" would ruffle a lot of feathers.