Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

reading between the lines here a bit

- AMDs speedup comes from switching from a standard model to a (lossy?) compressed olive model running on DirectML
- it benchmarks well against nvidia running the standard model on pytorch
- but nvidia claimed a roughly 2x speedup when using olive/DirectML on their hardware

seems like an apples to oranges comparison? but correct me if i'm wrong because i'm really not up to speed on AI stuff

These are all good points. Before swapping out my 7900xt, I used it a lot for stable diffusion. I don't know why they felt the need to use Olive. I never even touched the tool chain and my speed was fast enough for me to believe the numbers in the article.

Still, you might be right. I'm just a tinkerer. On the face of it, though, an XTX has FP throughput rivaling the 4080: the it/s being roughly similar isn't implausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Does this mean that the 7700XT and 7800XT, which are going to be formally announced on August 25th and which is hopefully coming out before Starfield does, are going to be way above MSRP? :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can't see either being a good buy over a 6800XT .

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ijyt posted:

I can't see either being a good buy over a 6800XT .
Any particular reason, or is it just based on vibes?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Any particular reason, or is it just based on vibes?

There's not much room between the 6800 XT and 7900 GRE, it's the place the 7800 XT needs to squeeze into, but with a dramatically lower price than the 7900 GRE.

My guess is that it too will be an underwhelming part, leaving the last gen Radeons being the best to buy until there're none left.

I'm more of a fan of 6800 than the XT due it its much better power efficiency, but most seem to buy the XT anyway

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 21, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

There's not much room between the 6800 XT and 7900 GRE, it's the place the 7800 XT needs to squeeze into, but with a dramatically lower price than the 7900 GRE.

My guess is that it too will be an underwhelming part, leaving the last gen Radeons being the best to buy until there're none left.

I'm more of a fan of 6800 than the XT due it its much better power efficiency, but most seem to buy the XT anyway

gotta maximise your X count

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If power efficiency is important they might be an interesting buy in that regard as the 6800xt is pretty poor in that area. But I also don't see how AMD are going to price this and make it all that interesting.
If the 6800 and 6800xt were all sold out it might be different but there are still loads available new on the market at $350-$500 which is gonna be tough to beat if they want $550 and $650 for the new cards.
There is also the 6950xt available for under $600ish which the 7800xt probably won't beat.

Its basically impossible to release these cards without either disappointing consumers or screwing over their retail partners.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1693526947999973401?t=v2COwaD2RJ3Z6WSfI7Ui6A&s=19

I feel like there's something to be said about how developers leaving out desired features like this just leaves the door open for rent-extraction from third parties to fix it themselves.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao someone's gonna crack that bullshit day one cmon son

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1693526947999973401?t=v2COwaD2RJ3Z6WSfI7Ui6A&s=19

I feel like there's something to be said about how developers leaving out desired features like this just leaves the door open for rent-extraction from third parties to fix it themselves.
it's already very easy to grab people's stuff off patreon. there are some tricks against it, but it's pretty crazy that patreon don't provide better tools to deal with "patreon piracy"

basically assume all your stuff is out there if you haven't actively taken measures against it on patreon

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Truga posted:

lmao someone's gonna crack that bullshit day one cmon son

I'm sure they know. But if it even gets only 5% of its users to atleast throw him $5 once, that's a good chunk of change.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
give it three months and the dev behind the crack is going to have his own patreon

circle of life

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Truga posted:

you'll have a fully functional w11 install that only has like 6 icons in start menu instead of 3 billion app ads

Or install Classic Shell and not have to worry about any of that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
does classic shell even work on w11 anymore?
also, it doesn't only remove poo poo from your start menu

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Does this mean that the 7700XT and 7800XT, which are going to be formally announced on August 25th and which is hopefully coming out before Starfield does, are going to be way above MSRP? :(

I doubt it. There is an AI case to be made for the 7900xtx and maybe the 7900xt due to vram, price, and memory bandwidth. The rest of the RDNA3 product stack is far less attractive, though Nvidia having so few palatable offerings with 16gb of vram does open the possibility a crack. If AMD bothers to support them in rocm officially, they will be fun cards to tinker with. That companies and AI bros would target them for bulk buys is something else entirely and I think quite unlikely at this point.

Supposedly too, AMD has tons of 7700xt and 7800xt cards ready to ship. It is the massive inventory of RDNA2 that has held them back.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I got a 6750XT for my new Team Red system with a 7800X3D, but it had some issues that resulted (eventually, after more than two months) in the money being returned.

So I'm sort-of in a place where I might be able to spring for a 7(7|8)00XT, depending on the price - with the idea being that if it's powerful enough for it, I'd love to be able to render at more than 1080p and have it display at that resolution.

One reason I want RDNA3 is also for the AV1 encoding/decoding - as none of my current hardware can do that, and I'd have to look into doing some serious re-jiggering of server in order to have it fit the A380 card from AsRock that's been looking attractive.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 21, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
amd's av1 encoding was performing pretty poorly when it was first announced. hopefully it's better now, but amf has always been a bit of a mess. ironically, amd's xilinx products might have the best av1 quality, but that's for enterprise

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I got a 6750XT for my new Team Red system with a 7800X3D, but it had some issues that resulted (eventually, after more than two months) in the money being returned.

So I'm sort-of in a place where I might be able to spring for a 7(7|8)00XT, depending on the price - with the idea being that if it's powerful enough for it, I'd love to be able to render at more than 1080p and have it display at that resolution.

One reason I want RDNA3 is also for the AV1 encoding/decoding - as none of my current hardware can do that, and I'd have to look into doing some serious re-jiggering of server in order to have it fit the A380 card from AsRock that's been looking attractive.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see?

I agree that waiting is the best plan at the moment. We have a ballpark idea of how they will perform, and the value proposition of the soon to be released RDNA3 cards will come down to price and power usage.

I think either will be a viable option at 1440p given what they are replacing in the product stack. They will have the vram and performance do do well in most titles. If the FSR3 rumors prove true, that will be an added value boost.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

kliras posted:

amd's av1 encoding was performing pretty poorly when it was first announced. hopefully it's better now, but amf has always been a bit of a mess. ironically, amd's xilinx products might have the best av1 quality, but that's for enterprise

The RDNA3 AV1 encoder is pretty broken. It can only encode in 64x16 pixel tiles, which is fine for 1440p and 2160p but it means you can't encode a bunch of popular resolutions. It has to pad the frame to fit, so it encodes 1080p as 1920x1082 and ultra wide 1440p as 3456x1440p. The extra black space is annoying enough, but it also breaks compatibility with a bunch of programs which don't expect an oddball output resolution which is different from the render resolution.

AMD Dev talking about it on the mesa gitlab here.

It's not even a good AV1 encoder otherwise, it significantly trails NVIDIA and Intel in quality and can't do realtime 4K without dropping the encoding profile.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, guess there's no option but the A380 then.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Well luckily those are basically the same tech, so I’m sure it doesn’t matter which flavour is used by reviewers.

Is FSR2.2 better than UE5’s own upscaling TAA thing?

per DF the developers found that UEs TSR had problems with ghosting on the transparent particles they use extensively, and FSR2 handled those better so they went with that as the default instead

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Truga posted:

does classic shell even work on w11 anymore?
also, it doesn't only remove poo poo from your start menu

I'm running it on Windows 11 as we speak.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Is there a guide on how to unfuck windows 11? Or is staying on 10 the only way?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

feedmegin posted:

I'm running it on Windows 11 as we speak.

Me too though my taskbar has turned transparent for some reason

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

gradenko_2000 posted:

tbc the Twitter user is implying it will stop working if you don't keep paying 5$ a month, but no - it's a one time 5$ for the mod.

A problem with DLSS mods though is that when you're modding in a reconstruction method, you're not necessarily going to have access to every separate depth buffer/render target, as a game is made up of many post-process effects that are generated at a resolution lower than your native output already, these have to be accounted for when using reconstruction - and a modder may not be able to. You can see this in PureDark's Resident Evil DLSS mods - you get severe artifacting with DOF, Bloom, Motion Blur, CA - some of those effects you may turn off regardless, but turning them all off really starts to change the intended presentation too much for my liking. DLSS3 def helps the stuttering in Jedi from what I've heard, but I've also seen videos/images of just the DLSS2 implementation and I notice these same specular artifacts that the mod just can't really handle well.

So better than nothing I guess, but there's def some drawbacks. This kind of stuff really needs to be integrated with the game from the outset.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

tbc the Twitter user is implying it will stop working if you don't keep paying 5$ a month, but no - it's a one time 5$ for the mod.

In practice that might not accurate. Wonderlands had a free FSR2 to DLSS2 mod (from someone else), and it would break with every game patch. If the same is true for Starfield, subbing for one month might not get you DLSS support for long.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

plumbing in DLSS where the games native FSR2 implementation would run ought to be reasonably correct, but puredark has done mods for a number of games which had no temporal upscaler at all so his framework might be doing things in a different, suboptimal way

don't his mods also not set the LOD bias correctly, which is something you'd get for free by piggybacking on a (good) FSR2 implementation

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 21, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
As far as I could tell the Wonderlands mod worked without issue (except for incorrect texture LOD biases (I think that's what that's called), but that was true with FSR2 as well). And it was a major improvement over FSR2 (FSR 2.0 iirc, so no wonder)

e:^^ but to be clear, this was someone else's work

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Yudo posted:

Is there a guide on how to unfuck windows 11? Or is staying on 10 the only way?

11 is completely and totally fine. I'd stuck with the same 10 installation for 8 years now but finally took the time to do a fresh install when I added a new ssd, and the only thing that irked me enough to need changing was hitting a registry switch to make the classic context menu the default over the new style.

If you really need to have 10's exact UI there's explorer patcher:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

In practice that might not accurate. Wonderlands had a free FSR2 to DLSS2 mod (from someone else), and it would break with every game patch. If the same is true for Starfield, subbing for one month might not get you DLSS support for long.

Maybe. OTOH given Bethesda it wouldn’t shock me to find starfield.ini has an NVRTX section with bNVDLSSHidden=1 or something

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
iirc, the re issue is text and ui (basically 2d assets) also being subject to fsr2, and it looks even worse than you'd expect

even though this is reshade troubleshooting 101

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in other news there's a new nvidia VBIOS signature bypass that works up to turing, and a way to crossflash (install a signed BIOS from a different SKU) that works up to ada

https://www.techpowerup.com/312631/nvidia-bios-signature-lock-broken-vbios-modding-and-crossflash-enabled-by-groundbreaking-new-tools

brace for RTX2060s flashed to report as 2080tis hitting the used market

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

11 is completely and totally fine.

it has lots of lovely advertisements for Microsoft's and other's products. I use it, but it's full of garbage you have to remove like it's a phone from a Verizon store.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inept posted:

it has lots of lovely advertisements for Microsoft's and other's products. I use it, but it's full of garbage you have to remove like it's a phone from a Verizon store.

I had to reinstall 10 a few months ago and they’ve pushed all that crap to windows 10 too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There are lots of “debloater” programs or edited installer files to strip that stuff out, or just using PowerShell, but i wouldn’t recommend them to most people for a variety of security and troubleshooting reasons.

I personally went hog wild disabling stuff like the MS Store, Cortana, telemetry, Game Bar etc and haven’t had any issues from it, but yeah… wouldn’t recommend that for everyone. Do Your Own Research :911:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

he, uh, might want to rethink this. that might invite a pretty nasty lawsuit on him from the devs if they decide to act on it

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If you are just using your PC for gaming leave Windows alone. Uninstall whatever Candy Crush and Solitaire apps. I wouldn’t recommend turning off the XBox game Bar features especially if you are on a high end AMD CPU as the drivers use that to identify a game being run that needs the X3D cache cores assigned to it. I’ve learned the hard way that when you use third party hacks to disable “features” that you perceive as bloat, you may end up going insane a year later when something stops working and the only solution you can think of is to reinstall Windows.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shipon posted:

he, uh, might want to rethink this. that might invite a pretty nasty lawsuit on him from the devs if they decide to act on it
unfortunately minecraft mods have done this for years and none of microsoft's legal team are on those cases

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shipon posted:

he's already charging for the mods, which is what the devs might object to, this move just makes the mod less trivial to pirate

i think puredark is in china anyway so probably not too concerned about lawsuits, the worst that could happen is getting banned from patreon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Rinkles posted:

Yeah good point.

repiv posted:

plumbing in DLSS where the games native FSR2 implementation would run ought to be reasonably correct, but puredark has done mods for a number of games which had no temporal upscaler at all so his framework might be doing things in a different, suboptimal way

don't his mods also not set the LOD bias correctly, which is something you'd get for free by piggybacking on a (good) FSR2 implementation

Yeah, the LOD bias issue is not something he could fix in games without any prior temporal reconstruction implementation I don't think, or at least he hasn't managed to. It's at least possible to force that on a per-game basis with Nvidia Inspector, but I'm not aware of any way to force it for Radeon/Intel, making those RE mods kind of worthless for those GPU's as the texture quality really sucks unless you do that.

Even some games with implemented reconstruction miss this - such as Dead Space, which at least from when I tested it during the trial they had a month or so ago, still had the wrong LOD bias when using DLSS. Christ EA really hosed that up. The easiest possible fix and they didn't even both to patch that.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 22, 2023