Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Bolded part is funny, because that list of countries is what they launched with and they've added no new regions since then

they have, in fact, subtracted at least one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cooked Auto posted:

But they're trying very hard at it.
Much like how they're trying very hard to expand the places that can get their magazine subscriptions.

Technically i can subscribe to white dwarf but it would cost me 160 dollars a year to do so lol.

They really ought to make digital releases of that magazine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

They really ought to make digital releases of that magazine

But how else are Games Workshop fans enjoy the sensation of a physical magazine in their hands? Very much like they enjoy the feeling of having physical rulebooks. It only enhances the gaming experience!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/21/a-hulking-new-orruk-boss-leads-the-charge-into-the-nova-open-previews/

NOVA Open reveal stream on the 30th.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

But how else are Games Workshop fans enjoy the sensation of a physical magazine in their hands? Very much like they enjoy the feeling of having physical rulebooks. It only enhances the gaming experience!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/21/a-hulking-new-orruk-boss-leads-the-charge-into-the-nova-open-previews/

NOVA Open reveal stream on the 30th.

Interesting Kill Team isn't on the list seeing as we're on the precipice of a new season.

I suppose Legions Imperialis would fall under Horus Heresy?

I guess we'll be seeing the Marine stuff that would have been previewed if the Tyranids hadn't won. Multipart terminators and Sternguard. Maybe the much rumoured jump pack marines?

HH could have Deredo dreadnoughts and maybe Solar Auxilia?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Plastic Deredeo has been teased already, so probably a safe bet. Plastic Solar Auxilia wouldn't surprise me either, and would explain the drought of space marine infantry as of late; they've been working on an entire new army.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

not sure if I'd place bets on plastic solar auxilla myself... admittedly because i'd like plastic 30k admech stuff more... otherwise, I'd assume some selection from: the new mk3 kit, dread, maybe the assault squad and command squad boxes. oh, and probably that other primarch model that was mentioned

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

3 Action Economist posted:

Some of that is because of local regulations on what is and isn't allowed (see the Canadian discussions earlier), it's just easier for GW to not have service in those regions than trying to navigate every nation'sc laws.

Also it's 2023, who doesn't have a VPN?

Using a VPN to be able to pay a company for something they won't let you buy is pretty insane. If they're not going to let you purchase it, then don't.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Floppychop posted:

Using a VPN to be able to pay a company for something they won't let you buy is pretty insane. If they're not going to let you purchase it, then don't.

This is like how the rest of the world outside the West operates dude

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Use a VPN to have things for free like all the civilized people

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I would assume plastic deredeo and mk3 kit. The autumn releases are “more lords of war” (ie the other Cerastus builds, which we’ve already seen), Dreadnought (deredeo), Armor Mark Update (mk3), and intriguingly A Primarch.

People are assuming Lorgar Transfigured which is probably a safe bet, but a new Dorn wouldn’t shock me either.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Vulkan would also be a largely seamless fit.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got a sprue for 5 assault intercessors in a trade. It doesn't look like either of the sprues for the 10-man assault intercessor kit on GW's site. Where can I check out where this sprue came from so I can turn up some assembly instructions? Yeah I know it's only one sprue and five guys and I can probably just see what fits together myself but I'm curious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In that case it's most likely the ones from the Indomitus box.
As for assembly instructions, there's always r/WarhammerInstructions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerInstructions/comments/vi7k3k/indomitus/

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I got a sprue for 5 assault intercessors in a trade. It doesn't look like either of the sprues for the 10-man assault intercessor kit on GW's site. Where can I check out where this sprue came from so I can turn up some assembly instructions?

Indomitus. It's also in some other intro-to-40K stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They were also in a Barnes & Noble Kill Team Lite box set with Necrons.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yep that's definitely it. Thanks a lot, all.

edit I don't think I like push-fit kits, actually. I can't tell if I have this little bastard's backpack thing on as close as it's meant to go or not.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 22, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Yep that's definitely it. Thanks a lot, all.

edit I don't think I like push-fit kits, actually. I can't tell if I have this little bastard's backpack thing on as close as it's meant to go or not.

If you snip the little bar at an angle they go in a lot easier.

I always just snip them that way and then use plastic cement anyway.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bohemian Nights posted:

Contacted GW a year or so ago to get info on when they were planning to roll out whtv in more countries, and they replied:

"Thank you very much for your email.

At present WarhammerTV has been officially launched in the following territories: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

Unfortunately, I do not have a specific date as to when this service will launch in X, however, we’re adding new countries to this list all the time, so check for updates regularly, or sign up for our Warhammer+ newsletter to get all the latest information delivered directly to your inbox!"

Bolded part is funny, because that list of countries is what they launched with and they've added no new regions since then :downs:

All the time means all the time. All the time in the history of the universe. So technically they're eternally correct. They are adding in new regions in all of the time.

It's the when that you're after and GW cannot advise.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I've read the rulebook now and it all seems pretty simple (except having to memorise all the minor variations in weapons). Even played a tiny test battle with my Custodes against my wife's Harlequins. Enjoyable! Some things that struck me as odd:

Why is AP granted a position on the main weapon statblock, rather than being a weapon ability like Melta x, Rapid Fire x, etc? Many weapons have AP0 anyway, which would be equivalent to not having this ability. Am I missing some subtlety about the implications of a statistic being on the main stat block?

Speaking of AP, I found it awkward to think of AP-1 as reducing my dice roll by 1. Instead I think of it as increasing my save by 1. Numerically this is the same, but is there some subtlety I'm missing?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Athas posted:

Why is AP granted a position on the main weapon statblock, rather than being a weapon ability like Melta x, Rapid Fire x, etc? Many weapons have AP0 anyway, which would be equivalent to not having this ability. Am I missing some subtlety about the implications of a statistic being on the main stat block?

Probably because AP has been part of the weapons statblock since the rogue trader days. Never thought that someone could think of it being weird that it's there.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Athas posted:

I've read the rulebook now and it all seems pretty simple (except having to memorise all the minor variations in weapons). Even played a tiny test battle with my Custodes against my wife's Harlequins. Enjoyable! Some things that struck me as odd:

Speaking of AP, I found it awkward to think of AP-1 as reducing my dice roll by 1. Instead I think of it as increasing my save by 1. Numerically this is the same, but is there some subtlety I'm missing?

1) Because it's always been that way, long before keywords were even an idea. I do think it could be shifted out to a weapon keyword easily (and Toughness tossed out completely while we're at it).

2) No, that's how everyone I've played with has done it since they change AP to a negative modifier. If I have a 3+ save and get hit with AP -1, I just say I'm saving on 4+.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Athas posted:

AP has been on the statline since forever. It used to be a flat value that would cancel any save of the same value or worse (iirc). So a Tau Fire Warrior with his Strength 5 AP5 Rifle would blow through Guardsmen or Tyranid gribblies but a Marine would still get their save. It comes up enough that its worth having on the statline, as opposed to treating it like one of the more conditional abilities.

If thinking about AP that way helps then go for it, but you should be aware that there is a difference between dice modifiers and stat modifiers. Dice modifiers cap out at +1 or -1, with the biggest exception being the Armor save, where AP can go beyond -1. Stat modifiers aren't capped afaik, but the main thing is that you can stack a dice mod and a stat mod. For example, a Hammerhead tank can't get two sources of +1 to hit (which is the dice roll). But since the army ability "For The Greater Good" modifies the Ballistic Skill stat, you can take its railgun from needing a 4+ to hit to a 2+ to hit. (Technically a 3+ BS with a +1 to hit).

So you need to be sure you don't mix these up, if you're going to think of it that way. Stuff like this isn't spelt out and I've definitely surprised one person at games club with the above For The Greater Good interaction.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Back in 2nd edition AP was a minus you applied to your armor save, in 3rd it became a "beat armor or they get a full save" deal, then some time later again it went back to the original way.

Personally I'm a fan in general of assorted modifiers but then I did enjoy the original release of necromunda too, so take that bias for what its worth.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still think, with how important melee is, initiative was a good way to differentiate a unit's prowess in melee from other units.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

The Deleter posted:

If thinking about AP that way helps then go for it, but you should be aware that there is a difference between dice modifiers and stat modifiers. Dice modifiers cap out at +1 or -1, with the biggest exception being the Armor save, where AP can go beyond -1. Stat modifiers aren't capped afaik, but the main thing is that you can stack a dice mod and a stat mod. For example, a Hammerhead tank can't get two sources of +1 to hit (which is the dice roll). But since the army ability "For The Greater Good" modifies the Ballistic Skill stat, you can take its railgun from needing a 4+ to hit to a 2+ to hit. (Technically a 3+ BS with a +1 to hit).

So you need to be sure you don't mix these up, if you're going to think of it that way. Stuff like this isn't spelt out and I've definitely surprised one person at games club with the above For The Greater Good interaction.

Thanks, this is very useful, and exactly the kind of subtlety I was worried about overlooking.

I played a bit of Warhammer Fantasy 5th edition way back, and I appreciate that modern 40k is stat-wise simpler.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

The Deleter posted:

I'll note that the dice modifiers cap is explicitly only on hit/wound. So if you had multiple sources of +1 armour save (All is Dust + cover from last edition, for instance) then it'd still work.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Cyouni posted:

I'll note that the dice modifiers cap is explicitly only on hit/wound. So if you had multiple sources of +1 armour save (All is Dust + cover from last edition, for instance) then it'd still work.

Ah, you're correct. I was mixing it up with Age of Sigmar where they had to stop people stacking save modifiers to make some of the god characters nigh unkillable, iirc.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Space Marine 2 looking good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHbWX2GD8pk

also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMUJlpfl-c

"My name is, Pariah Nexus"

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 23, 2023

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
loving hell, I have assembled a single Sister of Silence from the Adeptus Custodes boxed set, and I feel exhausted. This reinforces why I decided to go for a low model count army. Am I the only one who finds assembly much more tiresome than painting? Especially with the extremely small parts that GW has become so fond of using.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Assembly is what I do when I don't have the energy/focus to paint so I'm the opposite of you I guess.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
It doesn't help that modern models have absurdly tiny separate bits. I wonder if they let a computer cut apart the model to optimise sprue usage. This really feels like something a machine would design.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Athas posted:

loving hell, I have assembled a single Sister of Silence from the Adeptus Custodes boxed set, and I feel exhausted. This reinforces why I decided to go for a low model count army. Am I the only one who finds assembly much more tiresome than painting? Especially with the extremely small parts that GW has become so fond of using.

my issue is figuring the balance between sub assemblies for easier painting and assembling completely to not deal with a bunch of arms and heads stuck on paper clips

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wernt Pariahs the name of those half human necron things???

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Paragon8 posted:

my issue is figuring the balance between sub assemblies for easier painting and assembling completely to not deal with a bunch of arms and heads stuck on paper clips

Yeah, my Custodes I assembled completely before painting. I'll do that again, except for the shields - those I'll leave off. It may not look as nice as if I painted each part separately, but I don't think I'd enjoy the fiddlyness of painting tiny subassembles. My Sisters of Silence I will probably also assemble completely, but they are much simpler models anyway. Perhaps I'll paint the bolter guns separately.

Maybe I'll try using a few big subassemblies when I start painting the jetbikes and such, but I'm trying not to make things too complicated for myself, so I don't risk burning out. I can live with the paint job being suboptimal (it'll be anyway as long as I'm holding the brush).

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Wernt Pariahs the name of those half human necron things???

And the alternate name for psychic nulls.
Also those have been shuffled into mostly non-canon these days.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Athas posted:

I threw together a few old guardsmen this afternoon that I'm thinking to use as guinea pigs for a paint scheme and it was so relaxing and painless. But then, I am a huge insane weirdo and my typical model assembly process involves gathering parts from several kits, and hacking/drilling/sawing until they're beyond recognition before sticking them all together, so perhaps my experience isn't typical.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Athas posted:

It doesn't help that modern models have absurdly tiny separate bits. I wonder if they let a computer cut apart the model to optimise sprue usage. This really feels like something a machine would design.

The pieces are smaller, but they're so good about where the mold lines go, tucking them along natural lines that are part of the model. I greatly prefer having a few more fiddly pieces to glue versus scraping so many more mold lines.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Athas posted:

I love assembling things, but my idea of assembly is "what things in my bits box will go together to make weird little guys"

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I love assembling but the second something requires superglue and can’t use plastic cement, my drive to complete it takes a nose dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Athas posted:

Yes people have been complaining about CAD design for a while. However it's good because it lets them cram more pieces per sprue (instead of the enormous empty spots in old sprues) and they can do the insane cuts that clip together and completely hide mould lines and sprue nubs.