Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From the bits of the Direct I saw, there’s a healthy dose of No Man’s Sky too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Time to find out how Creation Engine handles hitting the limits of floating-point precision!

probably double, or fixed point, in the game logic and they convert local distances to float for rendering

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VostokProgram posted:

probably double, or fixed point, in the game logic and they convert local distances to float for rendering

double is floating point, same problem really

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean yeah, fixed point or just integers is the way to go, I’m just not sure that the engine was built with this scale in mind.

I guess they’ve had a while to retrofit a new coordinate system into it though!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

CLAM DOWN posted:

I can't imagine wanting space travel like Elite Dangerous in an RPG like this. I'm sorry but that poo poo was/is boring as gently caress.

They just need to copy the manual docking process, but the cowardly Howard won’t do it!!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

From the bits of the Direct I saw, there’s a healthy dose of No Man’s Sky too

I'm quite looking forward to that. If it works anything like I think it will, I'll get into a rhythm of doing some missions, then chilling out with a bit of exploration, scanning stuff and collecting resources, then back to missions. Should be pretty nice.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

man did I gently caress up by buying this on Green Man Gaming? they still havent given me my key for this lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

frajaq posted:

man did I gently caress up by buying this on Green Man Gaming? they still havent given me my key for this lol

You should've gotten an email a few days ago telling you they're starting to send out keys around nowish

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

frajaq posted:

For what it’s worth, I still haven’t got mine from AMD despite validating my computer for a free copy. Dunno if you bought the high end edition with the early access but I’m personally not expecting my key until September/preload season itself

e: ignore me and listen to Daztek lol

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

frajaq posted:

This is from the email they sent me:

green Man Games posted:

We have great news about your Starfield Premium Edition PC key. So you have the best possible pre-purchase experience, we would like to share some information on the pre-load process and when you can expect to receive your key.

Distribution for Premium Edition keys will begin on Monday 21st August from 00:10 am BST, and you will be able to begin pre-loading from Wednesday 30th August. This will give you time to pre-load ready to play your Premium Edition which grants you an early access period starting on Friday 1st September. Any bonus content from your qualifying pre-purchase will also be included.

e:

Extortionist posted:

I just got my key from them 15 minutes ago.

that'll learn me to actually check my emails

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 21, 2023

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

frajaq posted:

I just got my key from them 15 minutes ago.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

frajaq posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Has anyone bought through Humble Bundle? I'm on the fence because it's cheaper for me, but the last time I pre-ordered through them, I didn't get it until way later.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The AMD promo codes for buying hardware during the Amazon Prime Day sales look like they aren't going out until Sept. 1st which is a big miss for anyone who bought the upper tier stuff with the Premium edition code. No time to preload so you miss a day of early access.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Has anyone bought through Humble Bundle? I'm on the fence because it's cheaper for me, but the last time I pre-ordered through them, I didn't get it until way later.

I have, haven't gotten the key from them or any email about it yet. Figured they'd be more likely to get it up before GMG... sure shows me!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Goons, how long before my space mudcrabs have space tits? Please, goons, I need to know. This is very important to me. :ohdear:

(Game looks neat. I'm probably gonna palm slam thousands of mods into it like an idiot.)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gonkish posted:

Goons, how long before my space mudcrabs have space tits? Please, goons, I need to know. This is very important to me. :ohdear:

(Game looks neat. I'm probably gonna palm slam thousands of mods into it like an idiot.)

If this is Space Skyrim in all the ways Skyrim is Skyrim then probably not very long at all. Fallout 4 doesn't have nearly the modding community that Skyrim enjoys and I suspect that Fallout 4's focus on railroading you into a narrative with your baby is a big part of that. Conversely Starfield is a silent protagonist so long term I expect the modding community to be a lot more receptive. Or I could be making poo poo up, idk. That was always my thought when comparing the modding communities for Skyrim and Fallout 4, extending even to VR editions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
iirc they changed the animation format on fo4 and it took a while for people to catch up

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Azhais posted:

iirc they changed the animation format on fo4 and it took a while for people to catch up

Yeah but many years on and Skyrim has a far larger modding community that's still wildly active, arguably a golden age of Skyrim modding is taking place right now. I can get stumbling because having to learn something new but there is something about Skyrim that draws and holds onto a massive modding community in context of comparing it to Fallout 4's community. Like I said though, this isn't actually based on anything and is me just thinking out loud about why there is a different between the modding sides between Skyrim and Fallout 4, it strictly might just be aesthetics between the games too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I always find modding FO4 a pain the rear end. FNV is comparatively a breeze, I think because the community is more centralized so things are often compatible out of the box.

Also, the FNV Nexus isn't quite as flooded by boobs and guns as FO4, so the neat /cool projects have more visibility.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

KakerMix posted:

it strictly might just be aesthetics between the games too.

:hmmyes:

Skyrim is a beautiful place you want to return to, nobody is psyched to get back into a grey-brown wasteland with villages made of trash.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Xakura posted:

:hmmyes:

Skyrim is a beautiful place you want to return to, nobody is psyched to get back into a grey-brown wasteland with villages made of trash.

yeah this is a big part of why I've been coming back to Skyrim year after year but I can't get into any fallout games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it's just a matter of personal taste; I vastly prefer Fo4 and its more modern elements than Skyrim's fantasy stuff. It's just that fantasy themes are perennially more popular than their sci-fi/post-apoc counterparts. The settlement system might have also spoiled things for people as well; I know I've read some complaints about it here and elsewhere on the web, and I didn't get along with it either until Sim Settlements 2 came along.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
For what it's worth, Warcraft 3 always had a much healthier modding scene than Starcraft 2 despite the latter's better toolkit. I think fantasy just allows people to take ideas in more directions than Sci-Fi, where the palette(?) you are given locks you into a certain style more.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think a big part of Skyrim's modding predominance over Fallout 4 comes down to the flexibility of its setting. You have room for all sorts of general fantasy tropes, weird magic, dwemer tech. In Fallout 4 you're in post-apocalyptic Boston and unless you do a full conversion that's all it'll ever be. Sure, you're in a wacky retro-sci fi throwback world where the implausible happens all the time, but you're still beholden to Earth and Americana. As a setting it's much more narrow in scope. Add the voiced parent protagonist and you narrow things down even further.

So far Starfield seems to align more with Skyrim in terms of setting and protagonist flexibility, so I wouldn't be surprised to see its modding community eventually outpace that of Fallout 4. The lack of commonplace sapient aliens a la Mass Effect might prevent it from being a modder's sci fi canvas in the way that Skyrim has become for fantasy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ThaumPenguin posted:

The lack of commonplace sapient aliens a la Mass Effect might prevent it from being a modder's sci fi canvas in the way that Skyrim has become for fantasy.

Just mod in space argonians

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh yeah modders will turn Starfield into a xenophile multi-sapient setting out of spite

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
How long until someone mods giant tits onto the Va’ruun Snake god?

Place your bets.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jables88 posted:

For what it's worth, Warcraft 3 always had a much healthier modding scene than Starcraft 2 despite the latter's better toolkit. I think fantasy just allows people to take ideas in more directions than Sci-Fi, where the palette(?) you are given locks you into a certain style more.

SC2 custom maps could have been absolutely game changing if Blizzard weren't bitter asf about not being able to capitalize on Dota lol.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Daztek posted:

a 4chan leak says you can freely fly between moons/planets but only land on predetermined spots on planets

This is provably false.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOPoAq5vIA&t=346s

You can pick arbitrary landing spots on planet; you can see here that the developer places a marker in a random unmarked patch of land and gets a "Land" tooltip.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

ThaumPenguin posted:

I think a big part of Skyrim's modding predominance over Fallout 4 comes down to the flexibility of its setting. You have room for all sorts of general fantasy tropes, weird magic, dwemer tech. In Fallout 4 you're in post-apocalyptic Boston and unless you do a full conversion that's all it'll ever be. Sure, you're in a wacky retro-sci fi throwback world where the implausible happens all the time, but you're still beholden to Earth and Americana. As a setting it's much more narrow in scope. Add the voiced parent protagonist and you narrow things down even further.

So far Starfield seems to align more with Skyrim in terms of setting and protagonist flexibility, so I wouldn't be surprised to see its modding community eventually outpace that of Fallout 4. The lack of commonplace sapient aliens a la Mass Effect might prevent it from being a modder's sci fi canvas in the way that Skyrim has become for fantasy.

Yeah I think this is what I was driving at, the 'looser' setting of Skyrim which could feasibly contain anything from LOTR, ASOIAF, Warhammer etc. is an easier playground than the tighter focus of Fallout or Starcraft. Starfield with it's many planets/undiscovered frontier feels like any existing sci-fi property could sit right into it.

Countdown to someone building the whole Mass Effect Citadel into it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

This is provably false.

You can pick arbitrary landing spots on planet; you can see here that the developer places a marker in a random unmarked patch of land and gets a "Land" tooltip.

Since when has anyone given a poo poo about "facts"?

Jables88 posted:

Yeah I think this is what I was driving at, the 'looser' setting of Skyrim which could feasibly contain anything from LOTR, ASOIAF, Warhammer etc. is an easier playground than the tighter focus of Fallout or Starcraft. Starfield with it's many planets/undiscovered frontier feels like any existing sci-fi property could sit right into it.

Countdown to someone building the whole Mass Effect Citadel into it.

Hoping someone tries to build a full scale Stargate conversion, tbh.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I hope someone takes croberts "you can fit all of skyrim in that crater" literally :crobear:

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Are books confirmed in Starfield (a la TES)? I hope to read a futuristic "The Lusty Argonian Maid", tentacules-implied, I'm calling it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Are books confirmed in Starfield (a la TES)? I hope to read a futuristic "The Lusty Argonian Maid", tentacules-implied, I'm calling it.

Yeah in the Dev Q&A one of them mentioned “all of the books” in the game as one of their favourite things.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Kinda torn on books...

In Skyrim I made a library, collected, and sorted every book in the game and hardly read any of them. I wonder if they all just get copied to your tablet when you find them.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

PeePot posted:

Kinda torn on books...

In Skyrim I made a library, collected, and sorted every book in the game and hardly read any of them. I wonder if they all just get copied to your tablet when you find them.

If there are sandwiches, there are books. Think about it... A book is some paper slices between two pieces of cardboard.

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 21, 2023

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Something to think about, for sure

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShiroTheSniper posted:

A tentacule polycule sounds really cule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Lusty Argon Mist