Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Between Divinity Original Sin 2 and Baldurs Gate 3, which has the better story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Pirate Captain posted:

Baldur's Gate 3, they hired better writers after criticisms of D:OS 2's writing.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah D:OS2 has its moments and I really like the overall story, but the tone of the writing is all over the place

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

question for pathologic 2 since it popped up in the last page : how horror-y is it, if any? it looks like a stress simulator for sure but i can't get a grasp on how creepy or jump scare-y it is otherwise

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Artelier posted:

question for pathologic 2 since it popped up in the last page : how horror-y is it, if any? it looks like a stress simulator for sure but i can't get a grasp on how creepy or jump scare-y it is otherwise

no jumpscares, lots of bleak/disturbing imagery and atmosphere. stress is definitely its main stock in trade

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

no jumpscares, lots of bleak/disturbing imagery and atmosphere. stress is definitely its main stock in trade

Thanks! That sounds doable I'll check it out then

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
very esoteric question, is there a way to make it so pressing the Capture button on a Switch Pro controller doesn't take a screenshot without completely disabling the Steam overlay in-game?

e: or I guess just disabling screenshots period without disabling the overlay

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 21, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Countblanc posted:

very esoteric question, is there a way to make it so pressing the Capture button on a Switch Pro controller doesn't take a screenshot without completely disabling the Steam overlay in-game?

e: or I guess just disabling screenshots period without disabling the overlay

I don't have a Pro controller, but in every other recognized controller I can rebind the capture button to any other function

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

reading reviews it seems like Black Skylands at the final second removed a lot of gameplay features for the 1.0 launch and dumbed down mechanics and story beats as well. like you have no real control over designing your ships anymore and they flat out removed gardening. shame

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder who at Valve thought that it would be a good idea to actively reward troll threads on steam forums with their new currency.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New currency?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam forums? :v:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The steam forums are already the worst. Might as well double down.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
The steam forums are fine and helpful for indies (most of the time)

Also it's not like you can buy anything useful with steam points

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Koburn posted:

The steam forums are fine and helpful for indies (most of the time)

Also it's not like you can buy anything useful with steam points

Steam forums have a usually consistent sign of attempted polish for games, funny enough.

If there is a bug reports section AT ALL, that is good. If there is a dev solving insane edge case bugs they never heard of until that day on it, that is better.

If there is no bug reports section, or essentially a postit note saying "We never read the steam bug reports forum please send all bug reports to our visible only to members personal forums/discord server". That is generally a bad sign regardless of studio size.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Finally got some time to play the Moonbreakers free weekend.

I know it's early access, but is anyone else encountering weird freezing moments and random kicks? I can't tell if it's my Internet/computer or not.

Otherwise, this is exactly what I was hoping for, and will probably spend the $20 once the trial is over.

Who was the other goon that was offering to play when I was asking about it earlier?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I generally don't have any performance issues with the game, no. I'd be down to get some matches in if you're able to play in the evenings [EST time zone]

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Steam forums are great because whenever you are having a bad day there's 50 men having a breakdown because a woman existed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pwnstar posted:

Steam forums are great because whenever you are having a bad day there's 50 men having a breakdown because a woman existed.

My favorite recent example of this was the forums for Remnant 2 going apeshit over a black woman talking about "white guys" in the first 10 minutes of the game. That character becomes an NPC in town and you literally never hear from her again. It's actually pretty funny how little that person factors into the game but it was enough to make those people start bellowing about WOKE GAME from the instant a minority woman showed on screen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

New currency?

The Steam Points.
You can buy little cosmetic doodads with them, and among other things you can use them to give awards to threads on the steam forums.
One of the awards is "jester" which people give to troll threads and when a person gets one of those awards they also get some steam points as well.

So Valve created a system that rewards creation of troll threads with their own currency. No wonder then that you get a million thread on every game going "What if [insert contrarian political opinion here]?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Steam forums are literally the dregs of the internet. On the rare occasion I've had to use them for technical advice on an obscure game I feel my brain cells dying in real time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The Steam forums are literally the dregs of the internet. On the rare occasion I've had to use them for technical advice on an obscure game I feel my brain cells dying in real time.

They are unbelievably bad lol, sometimes I check them to see if any connection/server issues I’m seeing in a game are happening to anyone else and just spending 15 seconds reading the thread titles sets off my fight or flight response

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Every time I've had to check Steam Forums for a bug or question the process has been painless, the search feature good and threads covering questions relating to bugs or progression tend to be either helpful or utterly anodyne, or both. :shrug:

Yeah if I'm browsing by title I'll see dumb poo poo but why would I be browsing by title, page by page, when the search feature exists?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

there simply isnt enough gaming time to beat Baldurs Gate 3, Armored Core 6, and Starfield. sacrifices must be made

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mistermojo posted:

there simply isnt enough gaming time to beat Baldurs Gate 3, Armored Core 6, and Starfield. sacrifices must be made

You can sacrifice the game that's going to be guaranteed bad.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Legit though Steam forums often have solutions to bugs/issues with games that I cant find with Google searches so its a land of contrasts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

explosivo posted:

My favorite recent example of this was the forums for Remnant 2 going apeshit over a black woman talking about "white guys" in the first 10 minutes of the game. That character becomes an NPC in town and you literally never hear from her again. It's actually pretty funny how little that person factors into the game but it was enough to make those people start bellowing about WOKE GAME from the instant a minority woman showed on screen.

I was at least 5 hours past remembering anything from the tutorial where the lady says the (apparently) anti-chud incantation “white guy” two times when I learned that they were missing out on one of the best games of the year over it lmao

More games should have this in their intros

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My favorite part is how the white guy she’s referring to is literally just old Santa Claus stories, the mental gymnastics required to get offended at this must take hours

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

Legit though Steam forums often have solutions to bugs/issues with games that I cant find with Google searches so its a land of contrasts.

Pretty much this. Lots of google searches point to reddit and the steam forums. They're pretty much indispensible, despite being contentless drivel most of the time.

My favorite response to posting about an issue I had was "I don't play this using a controller, I use a keyboard and it works fine" despite it being an old PS one game. Gee, thanks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mistermojo posted:

I hit A3 in BG3 and just felt completely burnt out. Commentary in the thread being like, "Fights aren't harder there's just a million books to take their turn" also didn't especially sell me on finishing it.

I really should though, A2 ended up such a high note.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Pretty much this. Lots of google searches point to reddit and the steam forums. They're pretty much indispensible, despite being contentless drivel most of the time.

My favorite response to posting about an issue I had was "I don't play this using a controller, I use a keyboard and it works fine" despite it being an old PS one game. Gee, thanks.

It’s not a real technical resource unless every thread comes with “I don’t have that problem, goodbye!!”

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

The Pirate Captain posted:

Along those lines, does BG3 lean on players having done BG1 and BG2 for callbacks?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anti-Hero posted:

Along those lines, does BG3 lean on players having done BG1 and BG2 for callbacks?

There are callbacks and a few returning characters but it's mostly its own story, taking place some ~112 years after the events of BG2.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s not a real technical resource unless every thread comes with “I don’t have that problem, goodbye!!”

Another fave is someone linking a solution to a completely different problem, the OP saying that's not the same issue and then five more people posting the same link.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Steam forums are now old enough for the eternal classic of a thread with two posts by the same person, first describing a technical problem and then saying they fixed it without saying how.

If Hell is real, those posts should be an express pass.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
DenverGamer88 can go gently caress himself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Owl Inspector posted:

that happens right here all the time, even

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I haven't noticed those posts, goodbye!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Is there any talk of when Starfield unlocks early for those who preordered? Or when you can pre-load it for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I believe Aug 30th for Steam preload and Sept 1st for the early access? Dunno which versions have that though I assume it’s expensive