Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Wow, thanks for this.
I genuinely did not know that there was almost a sub genre* of songs calling out Trump.

This is also legitimately awful, and all those musicians should feel bad.

* = I had a similar reaction when I learned that there is a sungenre of sports media which is "person uses magic/super powers/ technology" to cheat at sports.

Most of them should feel bad, except.for the ones that are just calling Trump a piece of poo poo or a rapist - e.g. Nipsey Hussle , The 1975, or DJ Shadow/RTJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Vince is also being investigated by the feds. Birds of a feather.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Both have daughters who are better at running a business, too. Hmm...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ms Adequate posted:

A book I used to like as a kid, How To Be A Superhero, was published in like 1990 and advised against asking Donald Trump to sponsor your superhero career (jetpacks and secret bases and the like being very expensive for non-billionaire playboys) because he'd make you rebrand yourself to be Trump-Man who gets to crime scenes in the Trump Mobile and analyses supervillain activity in your Trump HQ on your Trump Supercomputer and stuff. Guy has absolutely been a byword for gaudy, self-aggrandizing megawealth for decades, just like you say.

The Back to the Future writers said *at the time* that they based Biff Tannen in BFT II on Trump.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Back to the Future writers said *at the time* that they based Biff Tannen in BFT II on Trump.

Biff Fucken Tannen II

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Both have daughters who are better at running a business, too. Hmm...

And whom they want to gently caress

But Vince will die before he even gets a chance to try to run

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I follow sports and huh? Like yes people say that but it's basically always a trope for effect, not literally true. Just FYI.

I think you missed the word "Media" in my post. There are like a ton of movies or TV shows where people literally use magic powers to cheat at sports.
From having magic shoes, using Flubber or turning themselves into Teen Wolves, sports media is rife with cheating. I was just amazed at how big a subgenre it was.

Just like I was amazed at how many singers were talking about being blinging like Trump.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

I think you missed the word "Media" in my post. There are like a ton of movies or TV shows where people literally use magic powers to cheat at sports.
From having magic shoes, using Flubber or turning themselves into Teen Wolves, sports media is rife with cheating. I was just amazed at how big a subgenre it was.

Just like I was amazed at how many singers were talking about being blinging like Trump.

No I assumed you meant sports media as in people who cover sports for a living saying poo poo like that about players. :v:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Vince McMahon comes to mind.

He's got the celebrity, the huckster thing, a short temper and talks a boat load of stupid poo poo. Probably there's a lot of crossover between Trump voters and wrestling fans as well. You wouldn't even have to photoshop him into one of those Trump Rambo posters.

Trump and McMahon are friends, surprising noone, and Trump did a wrestling plot with him that culminated in a Stone Cold Stunner at Wrestlemania 23 in 2007.
But yeah wrestling fans are surprisingly progressive (for sports fans).

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Just like when he blew both his quads, Vince has no legs to stand on :dadjoke:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Trump and McMahon are friends, surprising noone, and Trump did a wrestling plot with him that culminated in a Stone Cold Stunner at Wrestlemania 23 in 2007.
But yeah wrestling fans are surprisingly progressive (for sports fans).

I don't have the link handy but a few years ago I read a study that indicated pro wrestling fans are/were the most progressive fanbase of any major sport. To no one's surprise, golf was by far the chuddiest. I was pretty surprised and it made me reevaluate a lot of the assumptions I make about wrestling fans being dumb racist hicks or whatever. Turns out they are the most tolerant and cool fanbase out there.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I don't have the link handy but a few years ago I read a study that indicated pro wrestling fans are/were the most progressive fanbase of any major sport. To no one's surprise, golf was by far the chuddiest. I was pretty surprised and it made me reevaluate a lot of the assumptions I make about wrestling fans being dumb racist hicks or whatever. Turns out they are the most tolerant and cool fanbase out there.

There’s an old joke that goes something like “welcome to leftist twitter, here’s your Bernie shirt, and for some reason your subscription to a wrestling PPV”

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think they got beat by WNBA. Also the percentage of progressive wrestling fans does not mean the entire fanbase is cool, witness SSW heel The Liberal Progressive starting brawls among the fans in 2022 because they pretty much all want to kill him.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When Lex Luthor was rebranded from “Mad Scientist “to “Tyrant Billionaire” in 1986 the comic authors said at the time it was based on Trump.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Never forget that sesame Street's appearances of Donald Grump started in goddamn 1988.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 21, 2023

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

When Lex Luthor was rebranded from “Mad Scientist “to “Tyrant Billionaire” in 1986 the comic authors said at the time it was based on Trump.
There was also a Spider-Man comic from 1985 that tied into Secret Wars II (not the one where Spider-Man teaches the Beyonder to poop) where various characters (Luke Cage, etc.) are in conflict with a vain evil landlord/business developer who gets a wish granted by the Beyonder that turns his entire skyscraper in Midtown into solid gold. The building immediately collapses and the influx of gold threatens to destabilize the world economy so various groups conspire to dump the whole building into the ocean before anyone can start selling it, much to the impotent rage of the building's owner.

That businessman was named Henry Trumpsley.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Yeah, they weren't subtle about it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

There was also a Spider-Man comic from 1985 that tied into Secret Wars II (not the one where Spider-Man teaches the Beyonder to poop) where various characters (Luke Cage, etc.) are in conflict with a vain evil landlord/business developer who gets a wish granted by the Beyonder that turns his entire skyscraper in Midtown into solid gold. The building immediately collapses and the influx of gold threatens to destabilize the world economy so various groups conspire to dump the whole building into the ocean before anyone can start selling it, much to the impotent rage of the building's owner.

That businessman was named Henry Trumpsley.

I believe he's namedropped in Teen Titans around this time frame, too. Wonder what he was up to in 1985 that made him so hated by the various comic book writers (reminder that until recently both DC and Marvel offices were located in New York City).

edit: ah.

quote:

1973 federal housing suit

In 1973, Trump was accused by the Justice Department of violations of the Fair Housing Act in the operation of 39 buildings. The Department said that black "testers" were sent to more than half a dozen buildings and were denied apartments, but a similar white tester would then be offered an apartment in the same building.[25] The government alleged that Trump's corporation quoted different rental terms and conditions to blacks and made false "no vacancy" statements to blacks for apartments they managed in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.[26]

Representing Trump, Roy Cohn filed a counter-suit against the government for $100 million, asserting that the charges were irresponsible and baseless.[25][27] A federal judge threw out the countersuit, calling it a waste of "time and paper".[28] Trump settled the charges out of court in 1975 without admitting guilt, saying he was satisfied that the agreement did not "compel the Trump organization to accept persons on welfare as tenants unless as qualified as any other tenant".[29]

Tony Schwartz, the ghostwriter of Trump's book, The Art of the Deal, said that the housing case was "a classic example" of Trump being "a counterpuncher": someone accuses Trump of doing something horrible, and he "goes back at them with all guns blazing.... And admits nothing." If Trump loses, he will "declare victory".[30]

The corporation was required to send a bi-weekly list of vacancies to the New York Urban League, a civil rights group, and give them priority for certain locations.[26] In 1978 the Trump Organization again was in court for violating terms of the 1975 settlement; Trump denied the charges.[25][28][31]
Other suits

In 1985, New York City brought a lawsuit against Trump for allegedly using tactics to force out tenants of 100 Central Park South,[36] which he intended to demolish together with the building next door. After ten years in court, the two sides negotiated a deal allowing the building to stand as condominiums.[37]

In 1988, the Justice Department sued Trump for violating procedures related to public notifications when buying voting stock in a company related to his attempted takeovers of Holiday Corporation and Bally Manufacturing Corporation in 1986. Trump agreed to pay $750,000 to settle the civil penalties of the antitrust lawsuit.[32]

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 21, 2023

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Oracle posted:

I believe he's namedropped in Teen Titans around this time frame, too. Wonder what he was up to in 1985 that made him so hated by the various comic book writers (reminder that until recently both DC and Marvel offices were located in New York City).

edit: ah.

Trump Tower was built in 83 I think? And it was a deeply unpopular project that everyone in New York hated from everything I've ever read.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In fairness that poll was like 15 years ago and was a single poll. It kind of feels like it just gets used to make various sports fans feel better. I haven’t the slightest idea where wrestling fans fall on a political spectrum and I’d guess it varies pretty wildly based on the usual geographics and demographics.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Try to live your life in such a way that Sesame Street doesn't poo poo all over you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQyTpPu0gvc

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

In fairness that poll was like 15 years ago and was a single poll. It kind of feels like it just gets used to make various sports fans feel better. I haven’t the slightest idea where wrestling fans fall on a political spectrum and I’d guess it varies pretty wildly based on the usual geographics and demographics.

I would be very interested to have more recent data, as the political world has dramatically shifted since then.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
There was a wrestling storyline in 2007 that had Vince McMahon “die” after his limo exploded. Allegedly, Trump called WWE offices after this aired to see if this was real and if Vince was okay.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Lager posted:

Trump Tower was built in 83 I think? And it was a deeply unpopular project that everyone in New York hated from everything I've ever read.

Probably had to do with the fact that he tore down an artful building in the most slapdash, spiteful way possible in order to erect a bland, tacky glass phallus indistinguishable from any other crappy office space building. City institutions even wanted to keep and preserve the art deco reliefs on the front of the building but out of spite and expediency Trump had them jackhammered. Same as he ever was.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I would be very interested to have more recent data, as the political world has dramatically shifted since then.

It's not quite the same, but the discussion got me Googling and I found this.

My primary takeaway is based on this there are some tangible differences in partisan identification amongst the major sports, but it's not anything crazy. Also no data on fun stuff like pro wrestling.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A lot of the sort of stuff we use to determine stuff like "political leaning" is self selection. Like if you post about wrestling on twitter odds are you'll have assembled a group of like minded people who will make you think "hey, wrestling fans are pretty good." Its like any other polling or the like. If you're looking for something you can probably find it.

Also Vince isn't just friends with Trump, his wife was a member of Trump's cabinet and ran one of his super pacs. But Vince is 77 years old, recently was briefly forced out of his company for sexual assault payoffs besides a mountain of previous scandals, and the most high profile public moment he had was basically threatening to beat up Bob Costas for asking basic questions. So I don't think anyone has to worry too much about him running for President.

On the other hand I still think his daughter will run for some kind of office.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

A lot of the sort of stuff we use to determine stuff like "political leaning" is self selection. Like if you post about wrestling on twitter odds are you'll have assembled a group of like minded people who will make you think "hey, wrestling fans are pretty good." Its like any other polling or the like. If you're looking for something you can probably find it.

Also Vince isn't just friends with Trump, his wife was a member of Trump's cabinet and ran one of his super pacs. But Vince is 77 years old, recently was briefly forced out of his company for sexual assault payoffs besides a mountain of previous scandals, and the most high profile public moment he had was basically threatening to beat up Bob Costas for asking basic questions. So I don't think anyone has to worry too much about him running for President.

On the other hand I still think his daughter will run for some kind of office.

Stephanie compared the WWF steroid trials to 9/11 on national TV. Much like her mom, she is going nowhere in politics.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trump also had Roy Cohn as his lawyer and mentor. Joe McCarthy’s HUAC lawyer.

Donald Trump is directly tied into fringe right wing political movements and organized crime in a personal way and has been for a long time. Add the public television persona from the apprentice (and everything else)…

I think he’s unique. Any Trump replacement doesn’t have decades of all these things.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Trump also had Roy Cohn as his lawyer and mentor. Joe McCarthy’s HUAC lawyer.

Donald Trump is directly tied into fringe right wing political movements and organized crime in a personal way and has been for a long time. Add the public television persona from the apprentice (and everything else)…

I think he’s unique. Any Trump replacement doesn’t have decades of all these things.

Yeah, he's also got a long time association with Roger Stone. And what a lot of people don't realize is that Trump teased running for president once already as part of a right wing power game. So he was headed in this direction like 20 years ago. The Apprentice years were either a sidetrack where he went in on celebrity or if you wanna get conspiratorial a long term effort to rebrand his image from the philandering buffoon who was being regularly lampooned into the faux successful businessman he was sold as once he did run.

Yeah, he didn't come out of nowhere. They're not gonna just turn Scott Baio into the next Trump. This was a journey and long path to get where we are.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CopywrightMMXI posted:

There was a wrestling storyline in 2007 that had Vince McMahon “die” after his limo exploded. Allegedly, Trump called WWE offices after this aired to see if this was real and if Vince was okay.

In fairness, there have been a lot of WWE storylines that after they aired, I would have called to ask "Is Vince okay? I've just seen this Katie Vick feud between Kane and Triple H."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The fact that this is occurring on page 316 gave me a giggle I needed this morning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump apparently refused to initially turn himself in to the Georgia DA's office because he was trying to negotiate a surrender with them, but only if they booked him at the same as the Republican debate this week.

Georgia said no and his lawyers advised him against refusing to give a surrender date as a negotiating tactic, so he is going to surrender the morning after the debate instead.

He is also still negotiating to prevent his weight and mugshot from being released.

quote:

At the meeting with the Fulton county district attorney, Fani Willis, Trump’s lawyers are expected to negotiate the scope of his surrender, including whether the former president will have his mugshot and weight released.

quote:

The political team has since recalibrated for a potential surrender on Thursday morning followed by a news conference, which they see as additionally beneficial because it would almost certainly drown out coverage of the debate from the previous night.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/21/donald-trump-republican-debate-fox-news

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
what leverage does he have in the negotiations? pink swearing that he won't be a disruptive little poo poo to the process if they meet his demands?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Please, Donald, refuse to show. Let's find out what happens. It's the only way we can find out!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

what leverage does he have in the negotiations? pink swearing that he won't be a disruptive little poo poo to the process if they meet his demands?

Trump always negotiates the same way - demand whatever he wants for nothing in return. When that doesn't work, threaten the other party. If the other party can't be threatened, agree to some kind of payment in private but never actually pay and never admit to owing anything in public.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm guessing this is some kind of state law in Georgia that all of this is public record, so there absolutely is nothing to negotiate.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 21, 2023

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Bail is supposedly set at 200k for him in Georgia but this might be a problem for him:

Who am I kidding though. :justpost: Don, it'll be fiiiiiiine...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump's bond set at $200,000 in Fulton County election interference case

quote:

A Fulton County judge has set former President Donald Trump's bond at $200,000 in the district attorney's election interference case.

Trump and the other 18 defendants have been given until Friday at noon to appear at Fulton County Jail for processing.

Trump's bond agreement also includes a provision that Trump "shall perform no act to intimidate any person known to him or her to be a codefendant or witness in this case or to otherwise obstruct the administration of justice."

This includes, the agreement says, "no direct or indirect threat" against codefendants or witnesses.

"The above shall include, but are not limited to, posts on social media or reposts of posts made by another individual on social media," the agreement says.

Trump also may not communicate about the facts of the case with codefendants, except through counsel.

Oh, boy. The potential for revocation of bond seems pretty high.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
If his mugshot/booking info gets posted he's gonna blow through that ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
That's actually a fairly high bond. Kudos to Georgia for taking it seriously.