Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Her boobies traumatized a generation. She deserves to be held accountable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Florence Pugh is cool but someone needs to tell her it's okay to say "no" to movies sometimes, she is becoming as ubiquitous as Chris Pratt

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hubs hiding his face and being triggered by boobs in the movie about the most devastating weapon in history. That's enough internet for me tonight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody ever see The Jupiter Menace (1982)?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Honestly I can never blame any of these actors for being in everything when their career hits a nice groove. Consider how quickly their whole career can be over, especially the women.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Honestly I can never blame any of these actors for being in everything when their career hits a nice groove. Consider how quickly their whole career can be over, especially the women.

Hmmm I am being offered millions and millions of dollars to further my career and art in the very limited amount of time I get to do so but what if the movie-goes think I’m too much. I better turn down this Nolan picture!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Personally I think she's a great actress and would gladly watch any film in the expanded Pughniverse.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Speaking of Florence Pugh last year I accidentally watched Malevolent thinking it was Malignant and I couldn’t see what all the hype was about

I felt pretty dumb when I realized my mistake

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

Florence Pugh is cool but someone needs to tell her it's okay to say "no" to movies sometimes, she is becoming as ubiquitous as Chris Pratt

You don’t have to watch her. No one’s making you.

Also, and I’m not trying to start a fight, I mean this in a broccoli-in-your-teeth-way : saying you think a woman shouldn’t work is a bad look.

You almost certainly didn’t mean it that way, I’m sure. But that is technically and also literally what you just did. So I thought it best I tell you this way, instead of you finding out from someone who is genuinely angry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Go back to arguing which Friday the 13th film is the best (It's Jason X) and less about Florence Pugh , her boobs, and her career in Hollywood

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
Has anyone else seen Marrowbone? That movie might have one of the biggest discrepancies between talented cast and overall blandness I’ve ever seen

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

You don’t have to watch her. No one’s making you.

Also, and I’m not trying to start a fight, I mean this in a broccoli-in-your-teeth-way : saying you think a woman shouldn’t work is a bad look.

You almost certainly didn’t mean it that way, I’m sure. But that is technically and also literally what you just did. So I thought it best I tell you this way, instead of you finding out from someone who is genuinely angry.

yeah fair enough, it was pretty tone deaf, especially considering they're all striking at the moment. no excuses!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Has anyone else seen Marrowbone? That movie might have one of the biggest discrepancies between talented cast and overall blandness I’ve ever seen

Ugh, what a turd. Sometimes you see a great cast like that and go "Hmm, why haven't I ever heard of this?" Usually there's a very good reason.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Go back to arguing which Friday the 13th film is the best (It's Jason X) and less about Florence Pugh , her boobs, and her career in Hollywood

Part V is very very good. Probably towards the top of the power rankings.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

alf_pogs posted:

yeah fair enough, it was pretty tone deaf, especially considering they're all striking at the moment. no excuses!

It’s all good. Please feel free to correct the poo poo out of me when I inevitably do something similar.

In other news, checking out Older Gods and I’m cautiously kind of impressed? I’m only like 20 minutes in so I can only judge basic place-setting, but they’re doing a good job so far. It’s super evocative while being really good at very neatly and quickly setting up the whole Elder God <=> cultist dynamic by coming at it from the cultist’s end for a change. Clever and surprisingly rare.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hubs hiding his face and being triggered by boobs in the movie about the most devastating weapon in history. That's enough internet for me tonight.

Please refer to the *hmmms* only as *hmmms*, it's triggering my wife and I'm having to put my head on her shoulder a lot

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Older Gods is really quite good. I’m legit pretty won over. I’m gonna post some thoughts. No real spoilers but if you wanna skip them : if you like the whole Lovecraftian-Eternal Darkness kind of horror, you should watch this.

The budget is clearly minimal, it’s a bare bones movie. But they did the smart thing and leaned into writing and character. Yes, fundamentally the actual threat for most of the run is that a creepy dude is out the window. But you’re deep enough in the dude’s POV that you feel it.

I’m not exactly sold on the ending. But honestly, sticking the landing on horror feels so rare these days that I basically just give bonus points if they manage it. And it’s not bad. I’m fine with the character surviving but with constant lingering dread. That’s a staple. I just really don’t know how I feel about the interlude in Billy’s Personal Pocket Universe. Narratively they were taking an already established and subverted element and messing with it again. At the same time it made me immediately start wondering why Billy can spontaneously generate an afterlife. I try to suspend my natural disbelief, but that certainly was handy, wasn’t it. Finally, what the hell is this scene doing in the end of a horror movie?!?!? I’m not mad, just confused.

I don’t know why they made the protagonist American. First, if he had to be, he obviously should have been from New England. Making him from Denver is just silly. There are ways these things are done.

The actor is British, so he has to do an American accent the whole time. I get that there might have been a grant or a union reason they couldn’t hire an American, but you’re just making the poor guy do extra work for nothing? He just needs to be far from his wife and Britain’s not that small.

Aside from that it’s really good. The next time someone asks for a Lovecraftian movie, I’m telling them to check this out in the same post as In the Mouth of Madness and Dagon.

Hot drat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TheKingslayer posted:

Part V is very very good. Probably towards the top of the power rankings.

As a long time Part V defender, I'm glad people are coming round on it. It's such a nasty movie, I kinda love it just for how horrible everyone is in it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
At least part V created some memorable characters even if they had two minutes of screen time. And people like Carol Locatell and Miguel Núñez are having a great loving time.

I used to have an '83 Oldsmobile in bad shape and there were at least a few times I found myself singing "a rat-a-tat-tat-tooie, come on motherfucker it ain't startin'"

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 21, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ugh, what a turd. Sometimes you see a great cast like that and go "Hmm, why haven't I ever heard of this?" Usually there's a very good reason.

Yep, I had just watched X and Pearl so I was looking through Mia Goth’s IMDB and saw she did a movie with Anya Taylor-Joy, the actor from 1917, and the writer of The Orphanage and wondered why I don’t remember seeing anything about it.

What a complete waste of talent

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

4-5-6 is just a great run. Also love that 4 is the Final Chapter, all good horror franchises need to have at least one title that prematurely calls for the end of the series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

5 is better than 8 for sure. Honestly fake Jason doesn’t bother me and I’d rather watch fake Jason than Friday 1 where there’s no Jason

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fake Jason adds to the absurdity of the movie. This goofy-looking ambulance driver just shakes off getting hit with a bulldozer.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
V may have Fake Jason, the worst portrayal of Tommy Jarvis, and the most embarrassing humor in the entire franchise, but at least it doesn't turn Jason into an interdimensional worm.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Why is that a bad thing? I'd love to be an interdimensional worm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

I love interdimensional worms as much as more than the next guy but I want a movie with an interdimensional worm AND Jason. I shouldn't have to choose either/or!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

We talking about koji shiraishi again

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Head's up that this Sunday is Cinema Day again. Going from how last year's was, I'm expecting a total madhouse.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/movie-theaters-4-dollar-tickets-august-27-1235571034/

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I love interdimensional worms as much as more than the next guy but I want a movie with an interdimensional worm AND Jason. I shouldn't have to choose either/or!

The platonic ideal of an avatar/post combo for the horror thread.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can't argue with the data

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

Head's up that this Sunday is Cinema Day again. Going from how last year's was, I'm expecting a total madhouse.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/movie-theaters-4-dollar-tickets-august-27-1235571034/

Gonna try and see don’t talk to me and mission impossible if possible

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It's a shame images can't be thread titles

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Crescent Wrench posted:

The Horror Thread: I want a movie with an interdimensional worm AND Jason!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jason Vs the weird worm in a box from Lynch’s dune

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yea I originally had "as much as the next guy", then I realized who I was and corrected it

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shrecknet posted:

It's more of a coffee table book but horror author Grady Hendrix proved his horror nerd bona fides with this book, which I found fascinating:

I'm glad they reprinted it; until he made a sort of live show out of it, it was drat near impossible to find except through interlibrary loan.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Freddy Worm vs Jason Worm

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Freddy Worm vs Jason Worm

Freddy Worm is a high point of the whole series so that's an easy one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Tremors gets points for promising and delivering a movie about big worms.