Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

sim posted:

I would argue that living in a home vs living on the street would be a net improvement for society, despite people needing additional help beyond just housing. We can do both.

This is also ignoring that the root cause for a good portion of this substance abuse is not having a stable home to feel safe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of non-homeless people, people who have homes to live in, are mentally ill and/or addicted to all sorts of poo poo, and cause hell of troubles for themselves and their neighbours. A shitload of the time they're not mentally ill and/or addicted to any sorts of poo poo, but still cause hella troubles for themselves and their neighbours. Should they... should they be kicked out of their homes?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

sim posted:

I would argue that living in a home vs living on the street would be a net improvement for society, despite people needing additional help beyond just housing. We can do both.

But this is where the surface level solution of "just put folks experiencing homelessness in the empty houses, bing bong so simple" starts to fall apart, because reality is way more complex than that.

Folks are going to need additional help, so it's not enough to just hand them the keys to a house without regard to what issues contributed to their homelessness in the first place. And if the community has the will to provide those additional services, then there would be no need to resort to empty houses, because properly funded shelters, short-term housing, and substance abuse treatment facilities are a far better way to help those same people. Not to mention that you're only going to worsen the rate of homelessness as your vacancy rate craters and rents shoot upward.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Baronash posted:

But this is where the surface level solution of "just put folks experiencing homelessness in the empty houses, bing bong so simple" starts to fall apart, because reality is way more complex than that.

Folks are going to need additional help, so it's not enough to just hand them the keys to a house without regard to what issues contributed to their homelessness in the first place. And if the community has the will to provide those additional services, then there would be no need to resort to empty houses, because properly funded shelters, short-term housing, and substance abuse treatment facilities are a far better way to help those same people. Not to mention that you're only going to worsen the rate of homelessness as your vacancy rate craters and rents shoot upward.

I think the term is wraparound services. People need a home so they can have a bank account, receive checks, and feel safe. Social workers have a place to go to and talk with clients, and so and so forth.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Baronash posted:

Yes, also make sure everyone is allowed to work. NYC is having a homeless problem with migrants who are fully functional but are barred from working legally. It’s the stupidest thing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

5% isn't a very high vacancy rate, a typical historical level is like 7% IIRC. And you WANT a fair amount of vacancy, both to reduce landlord leverage over renters, and also because of certain amount of market liquidity is necessary for anyone to, y'know, rent or buy a home. A market with all occupied homes is one where you can't move there. Because the homes are occupied.
I think citing historical rates at a time when homelessness is this high, housing costs are such a huge part of the average household's budget, and the demand for housing is so high is a bit disingenuous. A vacancy tax would drive a few more people to rent out places faster, driving down some of those costs, and punishing people who sit on real estate not wanting to lower the rent because a piece of software tells them to hold out for another couple of months.

Cicero posted:

It's just weird to me that people are (higher) framing vacancy rates as bad, when they're actually good, at least to a point.

For longer periods of time, I agree. But some amount of time unoccupied after a current tenant leaves is of course normal and expected.
Vacancy taxes don't kick in until a place has been vacant for longer than a certain period of time, so brief between-tenant vacancies aren't relevant.

Cicero posted:

A very large percentage of homeless people have serious mental illness or substance abuse issues, such that putting them in random homes will likely end poorly. So many are not in a good place mentally to take care of a regular home, either as a cause or effect of homelessness, this is something that shelters are equipped to deal with that standard apartments or houses are not. We need to build a lot more emergency/temporary housing that's explicitly designed to help people who are currently homeless and may need heavy support.
I did say that this wouldn't be a panacea. And a large percentage of people who are homeless are homeless because of housing costs, because they had one bad event that knocked them into homelessness because housing is so expensive. A lot of people also have substance abuse and untreated mental illness problems because they're homeless, and even if homelessness isn't the root cause, getting someone into housing sure as poo poo makes it a lot easier for them to get treatment for mental illness or substance abuse.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's also worth remembering that homelessness isn't just the crazy dude on the sidewalk, or the tweaker. It's the people living in their cars, couch-surfing, all that poo poo. They just need homes, and there's no reason to think they need a whole bunch of "support" to be able to maintain a home in a safe and reasonable fashion, beyond providing them a home they can afford.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

"Support services are important and needed" isn't a reason to not give people homes in the absence of those services.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

I think citing historical rates at a time when homelessness is this high, housing costs are such a huge part of the average household's budget, and the demand for housing is so high is a bit disingenuous. A vacancy tax would drive a few more people to rent out places faster, driving down some of those costs, and punishing people who sit on real estate not wanting to lower the rent because a piece of software tells them to hold out for another couple of months.

It seems relevant to me considering the historically low vacancy rate is a big part of why housing costs and homelessness are so high

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

It's also worth remembering that homelessness isn't just the crazy dude on the sidewalk, or the tweaker. It's the people living in their cars, couch-surfing, all that poo poo. They just need homes, and there's no reason to think they need a whole bunch of "support" to be able to maintain a home in a safe and reasonable fashion, beyond providing them a home they can afford.

Ultimately, some of this comes down to how we set up post World War 2. Convincing the suburbs to build ANYTHING is a rock fight. Plus you have to build where people want to be. Proximity to jobs, services, amenities is something that needs to be considered.

If I had a magic home I'd put a moratorium on houses being built over 2200 square feet but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

"Support services are important and needed" isn't a reason to not give people homes in the absence of those services.

No, but perhaps the solutions are more complicated than one liners are able to express. The city paying market rate on rentals to house its homeless population is, obviously, going to significantly decrease the vacancy rate, which means rising rents that will exacerbate the issues of housing affordability and, as a result, homelessness.
And even assuming that the funding for this would just be brand new money that fell out of the sky and not diverted from existing social services programs, there's still obviously the question of whether that's the most effective use of that funding. Consider, as an example, San Diego. Median home price in San Diego is $812,000. Instead of buying or renting homes at those prices (and contributing to the housing crisis as a side effect), they are instead pursuing a plan to purchase extended-stay hotels at a per-unit cost that is less than half of that ($383k).

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Cicero posted:

A very large percentage of homeless people have serious mental illness or substance abuse issues, such that putting them in random homes will likely end poorly. So many are not in a good place mentally to take care of a regular home, either as a cause or effect of homelessness, this is something that shelters are equipped to deal with that standard apartments or houses are not. We need to build a lot more emergency/temporary housing that's explicitly designed to help people who are currently homeless and may need heavy support.

So boarding houses basically. The old boarding houses had some issues, but they were certainly cheap and many famous people spent some of their lives in a boarding house. But urban reformers and suburban advocates gradually pushed them out. By the late 70s, boarding houses had become basically illegal in most of the US. I can see an argument for bringing them back, but if you think the respectable locals hate apartments, you haven't seen anything yet. The vitriol that will be thrown against any new boarding house will be through the stratosphere.

Freakazoid_ posted:

What I don't get about housing prices is who's really affording it? Who is actually living in these homes and how can they afford these obscene prices?

Also, the recent wave of remote workers have done a number on the last bastion of cheap housing. Certain rural areas became gentrified very quickly as speculators beat those remote workers to the punch, robbing both the local community of affordable living and preventing remote workers from seeing an appreciable savings.

https://www.nar.realtor/research-and-statistics/research-reports/home-buyer-and-seller-generational-trends

Mostly people who already have homes. First-time homebuyers have dropped to 26% of purchases, down from ~40% first time homebuyers just a few years ago. A lot of this is people buying in less hellish-ly expensive markets. But in the most extreme markets (cities that are so goddamn expensive that they are losing new-ish college grads), the only ways are to be a DINK with two six-figures+ incomes OR rely in big gifts from family OR be an older family that already has property. And boomer money is a big part of it. The average age of a homebuyer is up to 47 years old, and it's increasing every year. In the most extreme markets, even DINKs with two six-figures incomes struggle to buy without help from mommy and daddy. And that's exactly why the affordability crisis is trickling down from the top tier cities to the second and third tier cities. Two people making $110k/year might struggle to buy a Bay Area house or San Diego house, but they sure as hell can afford to outbid the typical Philadelphian or Atlantian.

https://www.homecity.com/blog/the-average-age-to-buy-a-house/

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 3, 2023

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

It seems relevant to me considering the historically low vacancy rate is a big part of why housing costs and homelessness are so high

We definitely, without question need to build more homes, however arguing that the vacancy rate should be higher in a vacuum is literally saying "it would be better for this house to be empty than for an otherwise unhoused person to live here."

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ham Equity posted:

We definitely, without question need to build more homes, however arguing that the vacancy rate should be higher in a vacuum is literally saying "it would be better for this house to be empty than for an otherwise unhoused person to live here."

Nah, in a vacuum it could mean either "build more homes" or "keep certain people from having homes".

And the post wasn't in a vacuum anyway.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
pointing to a vacancies while saying "the housing supply isn't the problem, see?" in a vacuum is what dogshit nimbys in powerful positions have done for a decade because they actually believe that, if you don't build a new building, new people won't move to the city, and nothing will ever change, and they can be 24 years old forever.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

"If you strip a situation of context to the point of meaninglessness, then I'm totally right" is not the slam dunk argument you seem to think it is. Somehow, despite correctly identifying housing costs as a major driver of homelessness, you've repeatedly ignored anyone pointing out that low vacancy rates are a major cause of rising housing costs. That's why shelters and other supportive housing projects generally aim to increase the supply of available housing, rather than worsen housing markets already in crisis.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Greg12 posted:

pointing to a vacancies while saying "the housing supply isn't the problem, see?" in a vacuum is what dogshit nimbys in powerful positions have done for a decade because they actually believe that, if you don't build a new building, new people won't move to the city, and nothing will ever change, and they can be 24 years old forever.

Baronash posted:

"If you strip a situation of context to the point of meaninglessness, then I'm totally right" is not the slam dunk argument you seem to think it is. Somehow, despite correctly identifying housing costs as a major driver of homelessness, you've repeatedly ignored anyone pointing out that low vacancy rates are a major cause of rising housing costs. That's why shelters and other supportive housing projects generally aim to increase the supply of available housing, rather than worsen housing markets already in crisis.
I think we're talking past each other here.

Housing supply is absolutely a huge problem. But in a place like Seattle or the Bay Area or NYC, even if there aren't a ton of them, homes sitting vacant beyond the normal vacancy between tenants means that there are unhoused people who could be living there that aren't. I get that a decently high vacancy rate is a good thing, but I see it as just an indicator, not a goal in and of itself; encouraging otherwise-vacant units to be rented via a vacancy tax is a good thing. It would also force the gathering of data regarding housing and housing costs that we don't currently have. I don't think we actually know what the vacancy rate is; most of the sites I'm looking at Googling for it cite it at 5ish percent, but they don't cite their sources. At one point, the City Council tried to gather that sort of data (as well as data on rent costs), but the mayor vetoed it at the behest of landlords.

I guess what I'm saying is that we should have a relatively high vacancy rate as a side effect of good housing policy, not as a goal in and of itself.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1687177583274704897
I just stumbled upon this article. The letter itself can be viewed here (and is also linked in that Vice article). This was a response for a public Request for Input that was issued by the FHFA.

It's a short letter that has left me confused. They are advocating for a national policy and are stating leverage can be used by Government Sponsored Entities (GSE) such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to implement these rent control/tenant protection policies:

quote:

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgages on the secondary market support nearly half of rental units in the U.S. With this large of a market share, Government Sponsored Entities (GSEs) have the influence needed to meaningfully change the trajectory of the housing crisis. We believe that implementing rent regulations as a condition on federally-backed mortgages will protect tenants, stabilize neighborhoods, promote income diversity in regional economies, and improve the long-term outlook for housing affordability. We encourage the FHFA to pursue this policy alongside other forms of tenant protections and efforts to increase the supply of truly affordable housing.

Wouldn't that just lead to builders/owners go to non-GSEs to get their loans elsewhere since rent control is such a dividing line for a lot of developers/owners? I guess they don't clarify how much of the other rental units are supported by non-GSE loans, but I'm guessing it would be a decent amount. I could be completely wrong about that point, of course.

My other main thought about this is they seem to use anecdotal claims over empirical evidence at times. For example:

quote:

There is substantial empirical evidence that rent regulation policies do not limit new construction, nor the overall supply of housing. A 2007 study of rent control analyzed 76 cities in New Jersey with varying rent stabilization laws, controlling for population, demographics, income, and renter-occupied units, finding little to no statistically significant effect of moderate rent controls on new construction. Other studies have found similar results. When rent control was repealed in Massachusetts, there was no corresponding increase in housing supply, highlighting again a lack of causal relationship between rent regulations and housing supply. Importantly, there are studies that show that rent control laws can cause landlords to search for loopholes, such as condo conversions, that impact the supply of rental housing; however this simply highlights the need for policy design to eliminate loopholes

In this, they use the study of NJ rent stabilization as evidence that new construction is not affected by these laws. In the same breath, they talk about how important it is to eliminate loopholes after pointing to a very broad example of a policy with lots of "loopholes" to support their claim. They do not mention the studies or instances of stricter rent control and how new construction was impacted in these, such as this study. Or even the [anecdotal] example of St Paul, which still has stalled projects even after carving out a 20 year exemption for new construction.

Regardless, this is an interesting letter and news article and does make me wonder if more and more economists will start being pro-rent control. I don't think the minimum wage analogy holds much weight, as I think the impact of these policies are very different (price control vs non-price control). But maybe time will tell and more economists will be convinced with this wave of rent control/stabilization vs the previous waves.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 4, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kalit posted:

example of St Paul, which still has stalled projects even after carving out a 20 year exemption for new construction.
If this neighborhood ends up being just a bunch of loving McMansions, I'm going to be pissed. Wealthy NIMBYs fought tooth and nail against any kind of density.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Cugel the Clever posted:

If this neighborhood ends up being just a bunch of loving McMansions, I'm going to be pissed. Wealthy NIMBYs fought tooth and nail against any kind of density.

No kidding, I was shocked when they came out with the final vision, which is a great mixture of different types of housing/businesses.

However, in case you didn't know, there was always a plan for some SFHs at Highland Bridge. But I agree, hopefully they don't scrap the market-rate apartments completely for additional SFHs.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Housing is infuriating. It's why I don't work with housing policy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Minenfeld! posted:

Housing is infuriating. It's why I don't work with housing policy.

I wanted to do housing policy after grad school but its so hard to break in.

I think what's frustrating is that housing policy is all inverted. The federal government has very little swing on housing policy and has (mostly) abandon section 8 housing for an underfunded voucher program system. At the very least, HUD could strictly enforce segregation policies on landlords who "find" people to rent to after a voucher is mentioned.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can’t currently access the letter, but on whose behalf was it submitted?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I can’t currently access the letter, but on whose behalf was it submitted?

According to the Vice article:

quote:

The letter from economists is part of a larger campaign initiated by the People’s Action’s Homes Guarantee campaign
Even though the letter doesn't mention the campaign, it is hosted on the People's Action's website. And Mark Paul, probably the main author, posted a tweet with a link to it on their website, so I'm assuming that's a correct statement from Vice

Kalit fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 4, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ham Equity posted:

I guess what I'm saying is that we should have a relatively high vacancy rate as a side effect of good housing policy, not as a goal in and of itself.
It's in between these two things. Obviously homes being empty and unused itself isn't some grand thing. However, the more homes that are vacant, the less power landlords have over tenants, and that part is in fact good.

Higher vacancy rate isn't the end goal, but it is a mechanism towards the goal.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
First American City to Tame Inflation Owes Its Success to Affordable Housing

“In May, the Twin Cities became the first major metropolitan area to see annual inflation fall below the Federal Reserve’s target of 2%. Its 1.8% pace of price increases was the lowest of any region that month.”

“Well before pandemic-related supply-chain snarls and labor shortages roiled the economy, the city of Minneapolis eliminated zoning that allowed only single-family homes and since 2018 has invested $320 million for rental assistance and subsidies.”

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Any chance you could post the full article please? I’m paywalled off from it

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kalit posted:

Any chance you could post the full article please? I’m paywalled off from it

Does this link work?

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/first-american-city-to-tame-inflation-owes-its-success-to-affordable-housing-1.1956752.amp.html

If it doesn’t work directly, I found it by putting the headline in google and clicking the BNN bloomberg link.

nelson fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 9, 2023

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

nelson posted:

Does this link work?

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/first-american-city-to-tame-inflation-owes-its-success-to-affordable-housing-1.1956752.amp.html

If it doesn’t work directly, I found it by putting the headline in google and clicking the BNN bloomberg link.

That worked for me, thanks!

For as much as everyone seems to poo poo on Frey, he’s done incredible work with regards to housing here. Hopefully this trend continues and we keep the average rent increase really low while massively increasing the housing supply

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

There's a ton of "car camping" videos on TikTok/IG and while some are affluent white 20 something influencers doing "van life", it seems clear that most of them are young people trying to make the best of a ridiculous market.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kalit posted:

For as much as everyone seems to poo poo on Frey, he’s done incredible work with regards to housing here. Hopefully this trend continues and we keep the average rent increase really low while massively increasing the housing supply
Eh, I also think the ire heaped upon Frey is overdone, but I think the city council drove the upzoning and deserves that credit. Haven't been in tune with Minneapolis politics for a few years though, so maybe you're thinking of subsequent developments I might have missed?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Eh, I also think the ire heaped upon Frey is overdone, but I think the city council drove the upzoning and deserves that credit. Haven't been in tune with Minneapolis politics for a few years though, so maybe you're thinking of subsequent developments I might have missed?

What's interesting is that there haven't been much buildings in much of the former single family housing zoned area. The major housing development has been 5 over 1's squeezed into commercial and former industrial areas.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

karthun posted:

What's interesting is that there haven't been much buildings in much of the former single family housing zoned area. The major housing development has been 5 over 1's squeezed into commercial and former industrial areas.
Any visibility into the cause and what the ratio of applications to actual construction has been? I do wonder to what extent the ostensible upzoning is still practically stymied by the excessive ability of wealthy neighborhoods to present an endless array of costly legal and procedural hurdles.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I live in a Suburb that has been building 5 over 1s and bicycle paths for the last 10 years with a republican mayor and city council, using Tax Increment Financing. Since it's an election year, there's a lot of talk about the city's debt, the lack of transparency in the budget, and the likelihood of corruption with these developer deals. But from my perspective, despite leaning more progressive, I'm kind of okay with developers getting deals if this is the result?

The city/county is slowing turning purple and there are way more democratic candidates running this year. But talking to them in person, I haven't been impressed. They're all running on a platform of reducing debt, financial transparency, and more environmental and community review. Which is like, exactly what slows progress in a lot of democratic majority cities.

Like for once I wish the democratic candidates would just be like: yeah we're going to continue to give developers deals and spend city money like crazy, but we're going to spend it on transit and density! Be bold! Requiring new developments all have EV charging stations isn't exactly going to shift the needle on climate change.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Requiring EV charging stations as an overall rule is probably a win overall. Going through a 12-month process of arguing over it for every single place, however ...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

Requiring EV charging stations as an overall rule is probably a win overall. Going through a 12-month process of arguing over it for every single place, however ...

EVs are going to loving murder us. It's just more car infrastructure: more parking that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more roads, stroads, and freeways that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more tires that require more oil that spew out more rubber and microplastics, more brake pads doing the same, more minerals needing to be mined out of the earth that requires yet more fossil fuels, and more chemicals being used in the manufacturing that get dumped back into the ecosystem.

It's not an improvement, it's just a thing that extends the lifetime of the habits we can't afford to have, and lets lovely people greenwash building more parking.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

It's not an improvement, it's just a thing that extends the lifetime of the habits we can't afford to have, and lets lovely people greenwash building more parking.
Yeah, it's hard enough to get rid of street and lot parking as is, just imagine car-brained "environmentalists" decrying the removal of spots where they can plug in. We've seen similar hare-brained "green" takes for years, with established home owners confusing "I live in a neighborhood with green lawns and an occasional tree" as an essential component for the fight against climate change and thus fighting multi-family development tooth-and-nail (and, inevitably, pushing buyers further and further out of the city into nature-destroying and car-dependent greenfield McMansion developments).

sim
Sep 24, 2003

The democratic candidate for my district, which is the densest part of the city, said one of their most important issues is preserving "green space" within the city. They were lamenting how an empty lawn was replaced with a bunch of condos. They are trying really hard to make me vote for a republican.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

EVs are going to loving murder us. It's just more car infrastructure: more parking that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more roads, stroads, and freeways that won't be used exclusively by EVs, more tires that require more oil that spew out more rubber and microplastics, more brake pads doing the same, more minerals needing to be mined out of the earth that requires yet more fossil fuels, and more chemicals being used in the manufacturing that get dumped back into the ecosystem.

Just to really drive this home: in 2011, the Chevy Volt was released, and the Tesla Model S was released in 2010. In 2010, the three best-selling vehicles were the Ford F-150, the Toyota Camry, and the Chevy Silverado. In 2022, after over a decade of manufacturing consumer-accessible electric cars, the three best-selling vehicles were the Ford F-Series, the Chevy Silverado, and the Dodge Ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Doing everything possible to reduce VMTs is the only solution. EVs are green-washed bullshit distracting us from real solutions.