Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

Zettace posted:

The surcharge is only for taking the Nozomi or Mizuho. Make sure you preorder the pass as the prices is supposed to go up Oct 1st.

Oh I missed that, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Speaking of the JR Pass - can someone buy it before the price increase with the intention of using it next year?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
JR pass vouchers need to be exchanged within 3 months of purchase so only if you buy it at the end of September and exchange it at the end of December to use in January.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Anything to know about renting a car other than getting an international driving permit? I'm thinking of getting one for a few days when we're in the more rural areas to avoid problems with our luggage. The route I'm looking at doesn't have tolls according to Google maps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Anything to know about renting a car other than getting an international driving permit? I'm thinking of getting one for a few days when we're in the more rural areas to avoid problems with our luggage. The route I'm looking at doesn't have tolls according to Google maps.

Make sure to get an ETC card from the rental place anyways, in case it does have tolls or you wind up taking a route that does.

Unless you’re from a RHD native country, the biggest adaptation is that you’ll probably turn the wipers on when you intend to signal a couple times. It happens.

The age old “follow the flow of traffic and you’ll be fine” advice is very true. Japanese drivers aren’t too bad, and don’t tend to blast through stop lights except when turning across traffic.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I was kind of freaked out about this Suica business and just learned today that iOS has transit cards, including Suica and Pasmo, built into the Wallet app. Convenient!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kaddish posted:

I was kind of freaked out about this Suica business

why?

• You pay a 500 yen deposit for the card and put additional cash into a machine right outside the station ticket gates to charge the card (both the first time and successive times)
  • You tap the card on the ticket gates to enter and exit stations -- because the card knows where you came in/left, it can charge you properly
  • If you don't have enough money, the gate sensor flashes red, and you can go to a machine inside the gates to top up
  • You can use the money applied to the card to pay for other things listed as Suica/whatever your card is, or IC

...besides getting the card started, all of those operations are the exact same whether you're using a mobile Suica/Pasmo on your phone, or a physical card.

I use Suica on my phone now but still have a pile of cards in case friends and family come to visit. It's pretty simple.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I had a hard time (read: I never managed to do it) reserving green car seats on JR using my Apple Wallet suica.

My whole setup is some kind of tangled mess I don't understand, though. For whatever reason I think I linked my physical suica card to an account on the Japanese Suica app, and then ported the card to my wallet. I'm super ready to believe that it's something to do with how I set up my card.

Honestly if I can burn through the $20 left on my existing apple wallet suica I'd be perfectly willing to just trash it and set up a new card from scratch, if that were possible.

Probably because it sounds like they're going to stop selling the physical cards, but I could be reading too much into a tiny post.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

I had a hard time (read: I never managed to do it) reserving green car seats on JR using my Apple Wallet suica.

The method I know of involves using the Suica app (not Apple Wallet) and paying via credit card registered in that app (i.e. not deducting it from your Suica balance). I'm not sure that doing it all through wallet is actually possible though I can't claim I've researched it all that hard.

some kinda jackal posted:

My whole setup is some kind of tangled mess I don't understand, though. For whatever reason I think I linked my physical suica card to an account on the Japanese Suica app, and then ported the card to my wallet. I'm super ready to believe that it's something to do with how I set up my card.

This is normal I guess. Or at least it's the same process I went through.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 21, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd be willing to believe that too. I know Suica had an English app for a while, I'm not sure if it still does -- I think I tried to find it in May and couldn't, but possibly just oversight on my part. Sadly if it requires the full JP app then that's super tourist unfriendly, but green car reservations seem like such a niche thing that it's not a big deal.

Thankfully everything else I needed to do I was able to with just the Apple Wallet card and no app.

DiscoJ posted:

This is normal I guess. Or at least it's the same process I went through.

I think now they just let you tap the card on the phone (or enter the number or something) and it just ports it in without the app, but I should probably stop posting things I randomly remember seeing on youtube as fact.

What I would LOVE is to be able to have the same apple wallet Suica card on my phone AND watch. My watch is on the wrong hand to use at the turnstiles naturally, but it would be awesome to have a backup in case my phone gets lost or damaged. But I think it was an either-or thing when I last tried it. This is the only reason I still have a physical card with 2000jpy in my wallet that I tap once a trip to keep current.

I guess what I'm realizing is that a lot of things probably changed since I set it up.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 21, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

harperdc posted:

why?

• You pay a 500 yen deposit for the card and put additional cash into a machine right outside the station ticket gates to charge the card (both the first time and successive times)
  • You tap the card on the ticket gates to enter and exit stations -- because the card knows where you came in/left, it can charge you properly
  • If you don't have enough money, the gate sensor flashes red, and you can go to a machine inside the gates to top up
  • You can use the money applied to the card to pay for other things listed as Suica/whatever your card is, or IC

...besides getting the card started, all of those operations are the exact same whether you're using a mobile Suica/Pasmo on your phone, or a physical card.

I use Suica on my phone now but still have a pile of cards in case friends and family come to visit. It's pretty simple.

Lol, I understand how that process works in practice. My understanding is that since the suspension of new Suica sales, the only place to get a Welcome Suica is at Haneda or Narita and those ticket machines either often don't work or have super long lines.

But, it doesn't matter since the wallet app is more convenient anyway. The issue is getting the physical card currently, not the process. (unless this info is wrong and there is no issue, in which case I'll still just use the digital version)

Also, I have a logistics question. I was initially assuming we'd take the express from Haneda to our hotel in Shinjuku. I realize now that we will need to transfer to a different line to get to Shinjuku station. We're going to have some luggage, at least 2 large (normal size) suitcases and backpacks. Is it feasible to take those on the regular metro? Should I look into the bus/shuttle to Shinjuku station instead? Our hotel is just a couple of blocks from the station.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 21, 2023

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

You should check which hotels the buses stop at. Maybe it'll stop right by your hotel, or somewhere closer than the station.

The bus is generally more comfortable than the trains. It can easily be more than double the price, but I'd say it's worth it when you have a lot of luggage.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

DiscoJ posted:

You should check which hotels the buses stop at. Maybe it'll stop right by your hotel, or somewhere closer than the station.

The bus is generally more comfortable than the trains. It can easily be more than double the price, but I'd say it's worth it when you have a lot of luggage.

Thanks for the input. The hotel (JR Blossom) is like a 3 minute walk from Shinjuku station. I think the shuttle is a better option than the train due to luggage. It's still pretty cheap, too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't think that transferring trains from HND to Shinjuku is difficult conceptually, even with bags, but considering that you'll be off a (presumably long) flight in a new city probably coming down off flight adrenaline, however you can make it easier on yourself the better.

I think the only thing you'll have to settle is making sure you find the right bus. I remember the transit counter at Haneda arrivals was fairly organized so as long as you can get someone to clearly tell you where to get on a bus you'll be juuust fine.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Suspension of Suica sales is due to a chip shortage. They'll sell them again like normal when production catches up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Suspension of Suica sales is due to a chip shortage. They'll sell them again like normal when production catches up.

Let's look at what this really means

June 2, Japan Times, article on suspension of Suica/Pasmo sales.

From the article:

quote:

The suspension only covers unregistered cards, which don’t display the user’s name. Users can still buy registered versions, and holders who have lost their current cards or cannot use them due to a malfunction will be able to purchase new ones.

Bolding is mine.

...you just have to put a name, maybe a phone number, and have that printed on the card from the exact same machines as would sell "unregistered" cards. I don't think it's even a price increase. My dad did it when he visited at Golden Week as a fun little souvenir.

if I'm reading that correctly, they're still allowing you to buy them from the same machines as always, just have to go through that extra step.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

harperdc posted:

Let's look at what this really means

June 2, Japan Times, article on suspension of Suica/Pasmo sales.

From the article:

Bolding is mine.

...you just have to put a name, maybe a phone number, and have that printed on the card from the exact same machines as would sell "unregistered" cards. I don't think it's even a price increase. My dad did it when he visited at Golden Week as a fun little souvenir.

if I'm reading that correctly, they're still allowing you to buy them from the same machines as always, just have to go through that extra step.

While that was the case, it looks like this month that suspension was expanded to include all cards except some of the tourist passes you can only get at Haneda and Narita airports.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/sale-of-pasmo-and-suica-cards-suspended-except-those-for-tourists-080223

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah you can't get the named cards anymore at this moment.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have a physical card from 2015, and I just used it for 2 weeks. I think it's neat to keep and I hope to use it within the 10 year limit. Any clue if my card will still work after this change.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

deong posted:

I have a physical card from 2015, and I just used it for 2 weeks. I think it's neat to keep and I hope to use it within the 10 year limit. Any clue if my card will still work after this change.

It’s not a change, it’s just a chip shortage meaning new ones are limited. Should still work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yep, just introduce the card back into the system within ten years and you should be fine. Don't remember if it's any use that renews it or if you have to top it up, but you'll probably end up doing both if you use it so no problem.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

When I was driving in the rural areas I noticed that some police drove around with their lights flashing but without their siren on. Scared me the first time a cop pulled up behind me with their lights flashing.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

When I was driving in the rural areas I noticed that some police drove around with their lights flashing but without their siren on. Scared me the first time a cop pulled up behind me with their lights flashing.

They might also want to check if they even need the permit. I got one to drive around Italy but found they accept US driver's licenses. I've rented cars in Ireland, UK, and Italy without issue. EU is obviously different than Japan but worth checking out. (Not sure poster is from US either)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It is very required for Japan for Americans, and not recommended to mess around with. (Though that's more a "too lazy to get a local license" problem for people here longer than a vacation)

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone I know who has been busted for driving with an international license past one year is Canadian, and I think it's because you can renew them online in Canada so it's the ultimate lazy/cheap person solution.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
If I'll be in Tokyo for a week is it worth staying in different districts or is switching hotels more of a pain than it's worth? Overall Japan trip will be around 3 weeks.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

If I'll be in Tokyo for a week is it worth staying in different districts or is switching hotels more of a pain than it's worth? Overall Japan trip will be around 3 weeks.

Usually no unless you want to party all night at different districts and want to be able to walk back to your hotel instead of waiting till 5am for the trains to start up again. Otherwise most districts are only about 5-20 mins train away from each other.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Switching is more of a pain in the rear end IMO. Getting around the main part of the city is simple and fairly fast as long as you're near the Yamanote. If you're out so late the trains stop running then embrace the Real Japan Experience and stay up until they start again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess it really depends on the district. I'd stay in and around Kanda for three weeks easy, but then last time when I stayed around Nishi-Shinjuku-Gochome I found I didn't really immerse myself in the neighbourhood. Nothing wrong with it, but the combination of my hotel and just the stuff immediately within walking distance made me realize I'd prefer to roll the dice on something else next time and three weeks there would have put me off.

How much of a pain it will be to change hotels is really however hard you make it. Checkout and checkin are usually 11 and 3 so as long as you don't go in peak morning rush hour it probably won't be a huge hassle unless you've got heavy bags or are staying somewhere far from a train line.

I'd personally swap it up halfway in just because I can, but that's just me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Why do you want to switch hotels? What will it accomplish that visiting different parts of the city by day won’t?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
That isn't our bag either but I do get wanting a change of scenery/new base of operations. It really depends on the length of stay. Moving lodgings is such a pain in the rear end that we try to minimize it.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll just end up staying at one hotel for my duration in Tokyo.

Looking for some feedback on my breakdown of days in each city. I recently pulled one day from Tokyo and added to Kyoto but I think I might still be too heavy in Tokyo.

3 days Osaka
1 day Hiroshima
5 days Kyoto
2 days Nagoya
9 days Tokyo
1 day Hakone
1 day Nara
1 day Osaka

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Unless your flight plans are hard set, or your airline doesn't let you, you should consider arriving in Osaka and going home from Tokyo. Save the trip back just for a plane.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

And if you can do that throw the extra days into Hiroshima.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ good advice

Hiroshima and Nara are often treated as day-trip destinations but they are definitely good spots to get a hotel and explore in depth.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why Nagoya

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

And if you can do that throw the extra days into Hiroshima.

Do this. Hiroshima is worth it. Do the museums one day and Itsukushima the next.

Also this. Unless you’ve got friends or an event.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

:emptyquote:

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004

It's a large city along the path I'm taking. I figured it would be worth checking out, but based on the reactions I'm removing it from the plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like Nagoya. But unless there's something specific you want to see I don't think I'd put it into a first time trip. If you've been to Japan a couple times sure.