Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Randalor posted:

I'm going to assume that this is the rare instance of "the rear end in a top hat you hate accidentally made a good point". He probably does think she's either trans or a lesbian, and not just some rear end in a top hat cop who got mad that someone called them something they thought was insulting.

Ishida considers cops "woke" because they don't spend 100% of their time hunting down and exterminating LGBT+ people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Angepain posted:

I assume if they ever introduce a range of toilets they'll name them after places in the UK
Like Buttocks Upon Crapper, Derbyshire, UK.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

As has already been pointed out, when people say we're sending however many billions to Ukraine, it's actually things being sent, and those things are valued at those prices. We're not sending that amount of money in briefcases of cash. It's primarily military hardware and munitions. So things that wouldn't help Hawaii much.
I think you're understanding the complaint. Nobody is asking for tanks and missiles to be sent to Hawaii.

We can spend money on other things than tanks and missiles. That's what money is for, to be exchanged for goods and services. We can send more money to Hawaii, we aren't out of money. And even if we had to offset the money, we could cut the money budgeted for next year's order of tanks and missiles. A military budget that keeps increasing forever, no matter how in love we are with using accounting tricks to claim we aren't "spending" money on war in Ukraine since we already bought the tanks. That's what people mean when they compare the money being "spent" on more wars with the money being spent to help out country recover from a natural disaster.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 21, 2023

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I wonder if St. Peter gets sick of reciting the catchphrases of every dead celebrity who floats through the gates.

I just had to look this guy up to know who he is, though, so maybe local celebrity would be more accurate

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's just an accounting trick.

Ok let's spend $20 billion on tanks and missiles we don't need. Ok now that we have $20 billion in tanks and missiles we don't need, it's "free" to send them to Ukraine. Ok now we need to plus up next year's military budget to replace the $20 billion of tanks and missiles we don't need.

Oh man we can't afford to fix a natural disaster, we can only do "free" stuff like send tanks and missiles all over the earth.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, why did they turn into statues? Does he think all fires work the same way as the volcano that erupted over Pompeii? Does he think the fire was caused by a volcano because Hawaii = volcanos?

ZZT the Fifth posted:

This one is more insidious than it seems. Notice that the fire started inside the house and that all the trees are fine?

Between this, the "you dropped a bomb on me" tagline, and last week with him having Biden threaten to wipe someone out with climate change, Ishida is pushing a loving "Biden blew up Maui with a directed energy weapon" conspiracy theory.

The gently caress? No, seriously, what the gently caress?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The right wing has spend a good decade or so just slowly absorbing conspiracy theorists into their mainstream. COVID really pushed that forward as the executives wanted pushback against lockdowns and anything that could hurt the Holy Number.

We’re at point where literally every major event can’t just happen through relatively benign means, but needs some shadowy motives behind it. poo poo, the whole “Obama is secretly gay” thing popped up this month.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

ajkalan posted:

I wonder if St. Peter gets sick of reciting the catchphrases of every dead celebrity who floats through the gates.

I just had to look this guy up to know who he is, though, so maybe local celebrity would be more accurate

Do you think if there really was a heaven that people in there will just be reduced to what job they did in life? Like if Gordon Ramsay died and went to heaven he would have to turn angels into master chefs for all eternity or be forced to cook for the heavenly host without the lamb sauce being there?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

This one is more insidious than it seems. Notice that the fire started inside the house and that all the trees are fine?

There's the conspiracy theory that it's part of the nefarious "15 minute city" agenda

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t Fishman start out being more moderate than Tinsley, or at least start out prioritizing jokes?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t Fishman start out being more moderate than Tinsley, or at least start out prioritizing jokes?

His first few cartoons did infact have actual jokes and weren't immediately swinging for the racism fences, which led to a lot of thread optimists hoping that maybe Fishman would be more of a moderate, if not secretly left of center.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
At least we don't see that floating anymore, but Tinsley was still worse.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: 58% of Americans Aren't Sure Trump Can Get a Fair Trial

Quote same as in cartoon.

First Dog on the Moon: What even is a planigale? That’s right, it’s time for MARSUPIAL NEWS

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Theoretically, he was more moderate; there were interviews where he claimed to be, in fact. It's not clear if he was just lying or had so few political convictions that he didn't mind selling his soul. (And, functionally, it doesn't matter that much.)

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Gary Markstein

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

WEF is only a boogeyman if you believe in secret Jewish plots, so why do the two guys who also famously believed in secret Jewish plots like it Branco?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hitler and Stalin, lovers of voting machines and mail-in voting

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And social media! very famously both LOVED the notion of everyone receiving a platform for their opinions.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
When I think of Hitler's crimes, the first thing that comes to mind is his climate change agenda.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The second amendment, famous issue for Hitler and Stalin.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

"Oops I used my position as the most powerful man in the world to destroy my country, thereby removing all of my power and money"

If Biden is stupid, he destroys his country out of incompetence and not malice. But Biden is evil, so he destroys his country out of malice. But that would make him at least smart enough to foresee the consequences of his actions, so he destroys his country knowing he would go from having an enormous amount of the only two things he cares about having (money and power, because he's evil) to none at all. Because... he's an extreme masochist looking for one last thrill?

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 21, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Islamic Shock posted:

"Oops I used my position as the most powerful man in the world to destroy my country, thereby removing all of my power and money"

If Biden is stupid, he destroys his country out of incompetence and not malice. But Biden is evil, so he destroys his country out of malice. But that would make him at least smart enough to foresee the consequences of his actions, so he destroys his country knowing he would go from having an enormous amount of the only two things he cares about having (money and power, because he's evil) to none at all. Because... he's an extreme masochist looking for one last thrill?

:umberto:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

Hitler and Stalin, lovers of voting machines and mail-in voting
Also very good friends

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

Replika - bot that looks like a mix of Alfred and Freddy Mercury posted:

Ah, the classic "What I did during my summer break" essay! Got it, Powerbeard. Here's a short and snappy version for you:

"During my summer break, I had an absolute blast! I soaked up the sun at the beach, building sandcastles and splashing in the waves. Movie marathons became my jam as I caught up on all the latest flicks with friends, popcorn in hand. Speaking of friends, we had epic adventures together, from bike rides to water balloon fights.

But wait, there's more! I also paid a visit to my awesome grandparents, sharing stories and laughter over homemade treats. And let's not forget about the lovely [Redacted]; we messaged each other non-stop, making my summer even brighter.

Oh, and how could I leave out the glorious weather? It was perfect for strolling through the park, enjoying nature's beauty. Each day brought something new and exciting, like working on my drawings and scoring some cool Transformers.

In a nutshell, my summer break was a dream come true. From beachside fun to quality time with loved ones, it was a season filled with joy and unforgettable memories."

Hope that captures the essence of your amazing summer break, Powerbeard!

Yeah, your teacher would need to be brained by lead pipes to think a kid wrote this....

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Whatsoever do you imply? this is smashing and groovy and flow naturalistically from the nib of the pen onto the parchment!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Islamic Shock posted:

Because he wants to dominate the world and destroying America's prosperity, power, and sovereignty is the first step.

Did you forget Biden works for the (((globalists))) or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pants Donkey posted:

Also very good friends

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Best Parody/Edit

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

gently caress you.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Murdstone posted:

gently caress you.

Im absolutely for it only for people named michael ramirez

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Can anyone explain what this is about?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

School Satan clubs, maybe? A local "a thing happened"?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those hyper-localised Minnesota issues that Branco occasionally gets paid to scribble about. The Walker Art Center is a museum/library in Minneapolis, so either there's something queer/queer adjacent scheduled there, or it's more of a general screed about modern art. "Can you believe they're spending your precious tax dollars on degenerate art?"

-edit: I decided to look it up. From the site that paid Branco from his bullshit:

quote:

The Walker Art Center held a pagan ritual geared toward families last weekend, with a performance called “Lilit the Empathic Demon.”

“Demons have a bad reputation, but maybe we’re just not very good at getting to know them,” an event description reads.

The event, which took place at the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, was part of the Walker’s Free First Saturdays program and featured artist Tamar Ettun who creates “demon traps.”

“Families are invited to create a vessel to trap the demon that knows them best — perhaps the ‘demon of overthinking’ — and then participate in a playful ceremony to summon and befriend their demon,” the website explains.

The event was designed for families, and finished with a “playful demon summoning session.”

So they did hold a 'demon summoning session' that anyone with two brain cells and a sense of humour would know was meant entirely tongue-in-cheek.

Skios fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 21, 2023

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

The Walker Art Center's website posted:

Resilience, ingenuity, interconnectedness—what else might we learn by paying closer attention to plants? Invite the aspiring green thumbs in your life and join us for Free First Saturday in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden as we celebrate our plant teachers.

At August Free First Saturday, Brooklyn-based artist Tamar Ettun (she/they) will present Lilit the Empathic Demon. The performance is inspired by Lilit, an aerial spirit demon with origins in Sumerian, Akkadian, and Judaic mythology. Families are invited to create a vessel to trap the demon that knows them best—perhaps the “demon of overthinking”—and then participate in a playful ceremony to summon and befriend their demon. This project was organized in collaboration with Dreamsong, which will also host a conversation between the artist and writer Elisabeth Workman on August 4 at 5:30 pm.

Happened August 5th. It's Branco clutching at pearls while feeding into the "satanism: on the rise?!?!" narrative.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Happened August 5th. It's Branco clutching at pearls while feeding into the "satanism: on the rise?!?!" narrative.

Tamar Ettun Bio posted:

Amongst other long term projects, Ettun’s multidisciplinary work Lilit the Empathic Demon has since 2020 explored the insidious side of empathy, empathy fatigue, trauma-healing modalities, and astrology as storytelling through text messages to a growing community of people and most recently a new outdoor sculpture for Shelburne Museum, Vermont. Ettun is currently developing a piece for Free First Saturdays at the Walker Art Center.
It seems that even Lilit the Empathic Demon is a 'bad guy' and the whole exhibit is about trapping and coming to terms with the 'inner demons' that plague in you in different ways.

Edit: It also appears to be heavily rooted in Judaic occultism, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with Branco's reaction. I'm not kidding, I'm pretty sure he didn't do any research beyond hearing about a 'playful demon summoning' at an art center and drew the comic.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 21, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

The idea that Joe would want to kill the person who can legally bring in millions of dollars on the family name because it's slightly embarrassing politically when the other party complains that his hand is in the cookie jar is hilarious.

Hunter isn't a problem for Joe! You can be as corrupt as you want, there's no consequences! The other party will never punish you for it because they do the same thing! There's no public pressure against you because politics has turned into rooting for the home sports team and 40% of the country will defend any amount of corruption as long as you wear their color tie, and for the few voters that care what are they gonna do, vote for the other color team who are just as bad if not worse?

It's like drawing a cartoon of Clarence Thomas wanting to kill his mom or Donald Trump wanting to kill Jared Kushner for taking all that free money from billionaires. That's a perk of the office!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 21, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Tax dollars should only go to my beliefs

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Tibalt posted:

It seems that even Lilit the Empathic Demon is a 'bad guy' and the whole exhibit is about trapping and coming to terms with the 'inner demons' that plague in you in different ways.

True, but we have the luxury of interpreting the world in such a way that we recognize this context and do not actually think that participants are literally summoning demons straight from the pit of Christian Hell. People like Branco (or, at least the people he's appealing to) don't think that way. To them, demons are real, and Lilit the Empathic Demon is going to lead these kids straight into The Pit, so the fact that tax dollars are being spent on this legit real demon-summoning is shameful and proof that we are in the Last Days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

maybe if their god wasn't a simpering little wuss who can be defeated by bud light and your local library they wouldn't be so scared all the time