Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Kirby Super Star power?
This poll is closed.
Beam 3 1.79%
Bomb 3 1.79%
Cook 1 0.60%
Copy 3 1.79%
Crash 1 0.60%
Cutter 5 2.98%
Fighter 5 2.98%
Fire 3 1.79%
Hammer 13 7.74%
Ice 3 1.79%
Jet 3 1.79%
Mike (sic) 14 8.33%
Mirror 11 6.55%
Ninja 5 2.98%
Paint 0 0%
Parasol 2 1.19%
Plasma 4 2.38%
Sleep 9 5.36%
Starship 5 2.98%
Stone 6 3.57%
Suplex 22 13.10%
Sword 20 11.90%
Wheel 6 3.57%
Wing 6 3.57%
Yo-Yo 15 8.93%
Total: 168 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1693624002982314108?t=7buXCDb3j0MqZ2To4kU-GA&s=19

Oh wow, Martinet actually stepping back from the role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Everything's coming up Pratt

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Wonder his last role or the first for his replacement? Maybe the YouTubers were right

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Itsa not him anymore

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

These fuckers will live to regret this. My Mario boycott begins now

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
When I saw the corpo “bad news” text image tweet mentioning Martinet, I feared it was something worse.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So Wonder and RPG going to be his last works I guess.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Trying to figure out what would be worse, replacing him with a Pratt soundalike or using AI

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
His final game ends with a surprise twist where Bowser accidentally gives Mario a grievous throat injury

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should replace him with Dan Stevens, it worked out really well for Solar Opposites

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hatty posted:

Trying to figure out what would be worse, replacing him with a Pratt soundalike or using AI

Most Mario games are essentially 90% recycled voice lines from previous games anyway

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMkeJTEGuU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
looking forward to Kiefer Sutherland as the new voice of Mario

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty posted:

I think if contracts are in the voice actors favour, they're paid well for it, royalties are paid to their families at time of their passing, then allowing their likenesses to be used for specific iconic rolls via AI is perfectly fine.
It's when they're not paid for the work, or they start using it for new roles, that it becomes problematic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Japanese companies tend to keep long running voice actors on a character for either their entire life or when the actor decides to step down, and in both cases, the voice actor typically has an approved replacement take the role.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If Wonder is using a new Actor like some think it would prove to me that he stepped down willingly since it’s almost a perfect imitation

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

I think if contracts are in the voice actors favour, they're paid well for it, royalties are paid to their families at time of their passing, then allowing their likenesses to be used for specific iconic rolls via AI is perfectly fine.
It's when they're not paid for the work, or they start using it for new roles, that it becomes problematic.

No that still sucks. Just recast the roles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Infinitum posted:

The actor's consent or their estates's helps, but you need a way to avoid the role being permanently assigned to AI and removed from the pool available to new talent

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna nickname whoever replaces Peter Cullen 'Optimus Crime'

Cause it's criminal if they think they can replace him

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Estates suck, sooner or later it'll just be vaguely related people who want more money and will sign away whatever they can to get more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

The actor's consent or their estates's helps, but you need a way to avoid the role being permanently assigned to AI and removed from the pool available to new talent

I’m more thinking out loud then stating an opinion, but does it follow from your line of thinking that essentially nothing should be voiced by an AI? Or any computer tech (cause what’s material is that it’s not a human actor)? Is Hatsune Miku immoral?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
His voice will be DLC attached to the Charles Martimiibo

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Am I the only one who's not crazily attached to Charles Martinet? Good on him for being Mario for almost 30 years and getting a fat paycheck, but it's not Peter Cullen or Keith David quality work. If they have someone imitate Martinet's style going forward then I probably would never have known without the announcement.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Estates suck, sooner or later it'll just be vaguely related people who want more money and will sign away whatever they can to get more.

Yeah, but at least we'd all get to listen to the real Mario while the planet dies of environmental collapse

WAHOO!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

I’m more thinking out loud then stating an opinion, but does it follow from your line of thinking that essentially nothing should be voiced by an AI? Or any computer tech (cause what’s material is that it’s not a human actor)? Is Hatsune Miku immoral?

I'm not going to claim to have a fully formed authoritative view of this, but IMO miku is OK because she was originated as, and always presented as, an AI character

Walla posted:

Am I the only one who's not crazily attached to Charles Martinet? Good on him for being Mario for almost 30 years and getting a fat paycheck, but it's not Peter Cullen or Keith David quality work. If they have someone imitate Martinet's style going forward then I probably would never have known without the announcement.

It's the signature "woohoo!" we'll be losing the most. No one makes woohoo like Charles Martinet

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Walla posted:

:chloe:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

haveblue posted:

No one makes woohoo like Charles Martinet

Yeah and if you don't believe that you can ask his wife! eyyyyyyy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXYbRCub1I

My favorite Martinet performance

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They're not gonna recast Mario

Cause Mario is dead

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As somebody whose first game ever was Super Mario 64, I think the retirement hit me a little harder than most. It feels weird to live in a world where it won't be Martinet's voice coming out of Mr. Video Games in the video games. I really do wonder who's gonna step up to replace him, because I feel like a lot of VAs keep a Mario imitation in their back pocket.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

These are the new official voices of Mario and Luigi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iRgJUDd1J4

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

They're not gonna recast Mario

Cause Mario is dead

The year is 2023.

The Console Wars have ended.

The Sega Genesis reigns supreme...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i would be okay if Ron Perlman or Keith David were the mario voices

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe I should play more n64 this week

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm all for voice actors retiring before their voices become too corpse-like.

Billy West sounds reeaal old on the new Futurama season, and you can literally hear Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer die on the Simpsons

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

wizard2 posted:

The year is 2023.

The Console Wars have ended.

The Sega Genesis reigns supreme...

Putting Mario into one of those Lock-On Cartridges as a sign of victory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dreamcast has died, Dreamcast has risen, Dreamcast will come again

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What game do you think it was that Charles worked on that required future contracts with him to have a "Don't do any other games but ours from now on." clause in it?

Was it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLspEYKeyS8

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/1693653826694209919?s=46&t=jhhA1plWfjdeZtN-U0G-Wg

Well, that settles that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Okay then it seems like it was amicable and they didn’t want to replace the Mario voice with something matching the movie. I feel better about the whole thing now