Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I mean that would be hilarious, that's no fun for anyone

Loads of fun for the goblin I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Hatebag posted:

fudging a roll to make things more fun is basically the same as using inspiration. if someone has a really cool idea to use the environment in a fun way or something but the dice don't shake out right, gently caress it

sure, but both D&D and pathfinder have that as a core mechanic in the form of inspiration and hero points respectively, so you don't need to fudge things.

but often failure of these fun ideas is itself fun or can lead to fun things.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're not adhering to the rules what is even the point? You might as well be playing pretend princess tea time party with stuffed animals.

I mean, a bunch of those games are a lot of fun.

but I can never get anyone to play them, or anything apocalypse world. Legacy's gimmick of generational storytelling and zoom in / zoom out sounded like it could be really neat.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hatebag posted:

fudging a roll to make things more fun is basically the same as using inspiration. if someone has a really cool idea to use the environment in a fun way or something but the dice don't shake out right, gently caress it

Yeah, I like that philosophy in my games and I also like unintended consequences for failures on things like that. Good news, your idea was so cool it convinced me it has to succeed, bad news, the dice also said a bad thing happens because you failed your skill check.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're not adhering to the rules what is even the point? You might as well be playing pretend princess tea time party with stuffed animals.

yea they're playing dnd

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

gradenko_2000 posted:

when does that release? is it on game pass???

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1693512126424625472?t=SXLbxXVIH9as7xiZHJxF5g&s=19

Lol of loving course the bellingcat dude is completely dishonorable. Of course.

Cuttlefush posted:

absolute psychopath

The BM must be flushed out. Help us CBO.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I like that philosophy in my games and I also like unintended consequences for failures on things like that. Good news, your idea was so cool it convinced me it has to succeed, bad news, the dice also said a bad thing happens because you failed your skill check.

yeah I'm not saying fudge the rolls any time you want to get a specific outcome but once in a while it's fun and fun's the whole dang point of playing a game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Who told you about my RimWorld mod list?!?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Save-scumming is a symptom of the game not doing a good job of communicating the stakes and the potential outcomes of the player making choices

Like, you can say "just let the chips fall where they may", but it genuinely stings if the game hits you with something that you didn't, and couldn't, anticipate

savescumming is literally built into the design and story of the game im playing and at several points the game reminds you to savescum, and a giant bell shows up on screen if you havent quicksaved in a while

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sam, save scumman here make sure to hit the f5 key on your keyboard

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
making stuff up as a dm is great if everyone is on that page and the extent to which you make poo poo up. but if you play dnd specifically and make players roll dice and you go to the lengths to pretend to roll your own dice but just make poo poo up instead of playing one of the many, many much better systems that are based on collaboratively making poo poo up (which is good) you are sick

prolonging a fight by fudgery to let players have some more fun but not changing the outcome is different too. that's all good. the only reason to play a dice rolly tabletop system is to have surprising outcomes based on dice rolls. that's the entire reason dice are involved. dm fiats are fine but doing it secretly while making everyone else roll dice - alhoon behavior

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

sam, save scumman here make sure to hit the f5 key on your keyboard

psycho mantis bemoaning your use of the f8 key as he dies

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

psycho mantis bemoaning your use of the f8 key as he dies

there is a boss in that game that savescums you back

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Goblins should be a playeable race.

Also ducks.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i think that dnd is just a poo poo system for games like bg3. it'd be cool and fine in a game like kenshi where's it's an incredibly non linear world without any real solid narrative where having your dudes melt in lava is whatever instead of deleting part of the existing linear story in exchange for nothing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

i think that dnd is just a poo poo system for games like bg3. it'd be cool and fine in a game like kenshi where's it's an incredibly non linear world without any real solid narrative where having your dudes melt in lava is whatever instead of deleting part of the existing linear story in exchange for nothing

well ill say that bg3 is the best example of this poo poo system in a video game that ive run across yet

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, BG3 is fun but Divinity 1 and 2 were better in almost every part of the game that D&D now handles. They made a worse Divinity by hammering D&D into Divinity.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

maybe one day I’ll give the divinity games another shot. made it to the final boss of os 1 and lol oops my build literally couldn’t hurt it. got to a fight in 2 that was impossible but I can’t remember the details on that one.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i do think i prefer dos2s systems to dnd5 though tbh since restoring spell slots is both trivial and a pain in the rear end. if they didnt make it mandatory to go back to camp to long rest and swap out party members (which will probably happen in a year), which is a this game problem not a dnd problem, then id be fine with it

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

I've been reading more Games threads since this one is mostly about BG3 now (and good for everyone enjoying it) and I was amazed at the amount of vitriol that post generated. Absolutely bizarre that one goofy post got a loving week probe. I thought Games was supposed to be a fun, chill place, but it's worse than Reddit sometimes.

Anyway, someone invite me to the secret CSPAM SF6 Discord server for scrubs, I don't know what I'm doing.

vvvvvv hell yeah

Orb Crabmelt has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Aug 21, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Don't worry, it should be all AC6 in a few days.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

can’t believe everyone is so hyped for 10 year old ubisoft game

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lostconfused posted:

Don't worry, it should be all AC6 in a few days.

I'm enjoying all the bg3 discourse but it'll be nice to have a change of pace in the next few days I wanna see everyone's roboids

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Al! posted:

i do think i prefer dos2s systems to dnd5 though tbh since restoring spell slots is both trivial and a pain in the rear end. if they didnt make it mandatory to go back to camp to long rest and swap out party members (which will probably happen in a year), which is a this game problem not a dnd problem, then id be fine with it

the best part about wotr was getting your buff spells to last 24 real time hours so you were not constantly having to long rest to recharge spell slots

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

the best part about wotr was getting your buff spells to last 24 real time hours so you were not constantly having to long rest to recharge spell slots

But even getting them up to an hour was pretty good already.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i just prefer dos2 where all spells are cantrips

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i just realized i remember almost nothing about the end of dos2. i think some guy was telling me about souls or something? and then i killed him easily. i remember fighting dr. demon, he was a tough guy and i think an unsavory sort
hell yeah lack of memory means I've basically got a free new game to play, smoking weed all the time ftw

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

ugh read that thread and that annoying lady that hates chrono trigger is in there, hate her posts

Whirling has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Aug 25, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seriously though, can't believe how done I am with Baldur's Gate 3.

I'm looking at this map with Rivington written on it and the only thing I can think of is what's the optimal path for doing all these locations in Kenabres.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

if your buff lasts more than 4 hours, see a doctor

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hatebag posted:

i just realized i remember almost nothing about the end of dos2. i think some guy was telling me about souls or something? and then i killed him easily. i remember fighting dr. demon, he was a tough guy and i think an unsavory sort
hell yeah lack of memory means I've basically got a free new game to play, smoking weed all the time ftw

depends on when you played it too because they redid a lot of the last act with the enhanced edition

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Godlessdonut posted:

Chris Pratt Mario is the future.

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1573050124561166336

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I'm interested in the Rogue Trader game because that system might mitigate Owlcat's worst trait of having developers that care about character optimization (which is why Kingmaker and WOTR's enemies are all juiced up compared to their tabletop equivalents), due to the old FFG Warhammer 40k games not really having multiclassing from what I can remember.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

the Perfect Democrat

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Al! posted:

savescumming is literally built into the design and story of the game im playing and at several points the game reminds you to savescum, and a giant bell shows up on screen if you havent quicksaved in a while

this game sounds really good tbh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm going to share this because I find it funny.

Most of the fortnite leakers are in a discord together and share and swap info. A few weeks ago q new leaker named barbiesomething dropped some collab bombshells out of the blue. None of the normal leakers knew about the collabs. Now the Barbi account is claiming they have full leaks of the new season and battlepass, but will not be releasing them due to fortnite leaker social media being mean to them. I'm guessing the normal leakers were big mad they got scooped.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I have no idea how to achieve communism in this game because all the other people in this party are libs or evil. The justice lady got so pissed when I banned the stupid little brownshirts running around and causing problems.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Whirling posted:

I'm interested in the Rogue Trader game because that system might mitigate Owlcat's worst trait of having developers that care about character optimization (which is why Kingmaker and WOTR's enemies are all juiced up compared to their tabletop equivalents), due to the old FFG Warhammer 40k games not really having multiclassing from what I can remember.

don’t worry they will find a way to make it as inaccessible and esoteric as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

RIP FF16, SF6 too.

But then again they only had a bit more than a month of sales there.

Edit: Elden Ring still being on there is pretty funny.