Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm glad they reprinted it; until he made a sort of live show out of it, it was drat near impossible to find except through interlibrary loan.

drat, wish I knew. I would've sold mine for a highly exploitative price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crescent Wrench posted:

V may have Fake Jason, the worst portrayal of Tommy Jarvis, and the most embarrassing humor in the entire franchise, but at least it doesn't turn Jason into an interdimensional worm.

All that new stuff Creighton duke introduced too with the Jason necromonicon or whatever like what the poo poo lol, lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

All that new stuff Creighton duke introduced too with the Jason necromonicon or whatever like what the poo poo lol, lmao

For a while there they legitimately thought they might do Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash so I think that's one reason why a lot of that stuff is in Jason Goes to Hell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really wish Duke would have been full of poo poo. Because otherwise the entire movie is “Okay, but how do you know this?”

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As a long time Part V defender, I'm glad people are coming round on it. It's such a nasty movie, I kinda love it just for how horrible everyone is in it.

I thought I was the only one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Almost all of the Friday the 13th films are solidly entertaining in my opinion, with Parts 4, 7, and 9 being the weakest. The first two are slasher classics. Part 3, I think, doesn't get the consideration it deserves because it's known as "the one where Jason gets the mask" or "the 3D one." Besides having some great kills, it's all over the place--Jason fights a biker gang?!

And has it been pointed out that Jason stole his mask from a weird awkward kid who can only communicate with other kids his age through scary, unfunny pranks?

I don't care much for Part 4. It feels weirdly uneven and at the same time, kind of anodyne. I've seen it twice, in the past few years, and still don't remember much besides Crispin Glover dancing weird and getting killed with a corkscrew. Part 5 has a group of memorable and likable kids and a guy named Demon getting murdered on the toilet. Part 6 is Part 6.

In spite of the further supernatural twist, Part 7 was another that just didn't register with me. Part 8 is awesomely entertaining but feels like half of two different movies. Like, in a better world, Part 7 never happened and "Jason on a cruise ship" and "Jason takes Manhattan" are two full movies. I didn't like Part 9 at all. It felt like they were trying to be too serious and getting too much into the already-garbled "mythos" of a masked zombie killing machine. Jason X was Jason X.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

God I want more monster mashup movies. Give me M3gan vs. Chucky and what-have-you.

For that matter bring back stuff like Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Key & Peele Meet Jason. The Muppets vs. The Evil Dead.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jason Goes to Hell is bizarre because apparently they wanted to make a more "grown-up" movie by casting mostly people in their thirties and older, but too much is cartoonish and nobody behaves like a real person.

EDIT: Also, am I misremembering or are the FBI agents actually in a circle around Jason at the beginning? How did they avoid shooting each other?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Don't look at the spoiler if you don't want to know one of this year's October bonus challenges:

Freddy vs. Jason 20th Anniversary Challenge: Watch a Freddy OR Jason movie, OR watch a monster-mash movie(i.e. multiple monsters in a single film).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Since when does Earthworm Jim not have cartoonish deaths with that cow droppin on folks at the end of every episode

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Speaking of October, last night me and my partner nailed down our movie lineup for the 24/7 horror channel we run every October and change the lineup of. Our first year the theme was classics and introducing me to the genre, the second year was just adding a bunch of cool stuff we were interested in, last year was Stephen King and braving movies we had been too scared to watch, and now we're looking for more obscure gems as well as keeping some of our all time faves.

https://boxd.it/oHs0c

Some of these are horror host versions as we're huge fans of MST3K, Elvira, and Joe Bob Briggs and also like to throw in a few episodes of Doc Mock, Ned The Dead, and Dr. Creep for some local and nostalgic reasons. Really looking forward to this. There's nothing better in October than coming home after work, turning on the TV, and just catching a movie right as it starts or changes over, especially if it's one that becomes a new favorite.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 21, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Tremors gets points for promising and delivering a movie about big worms.

Mimic dares to ask the reverse question: instead of "what if a slasher villain was secretly a bug," it's "what if a bug was secretly a slasher villain."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's too bad that we'll never get the extended version of Jason goes to Hell. They cut a lot out of the film. Also Jason is a deadite.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Don't look at the spoiler if you don't want to know one of this year's October bonus challenges:

Freddy vs. Jason 20th Anniversary Challenge: Watch a Freddy OR Jason movie, OR watch a monster-mash movie(i.e. multiple monsters in a single film).

Awesome idea, but there's no way that it's been 20 years since my freshman year of college. Like, there's no way that's actually legal, right?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Class3KillStorm posted:

Awesome idea, but there's no way that it's been 20 years since my freshman year of college. Like, there's no way that's actually legal, right?

Same. Here’s a shovel for your shallow grave gramps.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jason Goes to Hell is bizarre because apparently they wanted to make a more "grown-up" movie by casting mostly people in their thirties and older, but too much is cartoonish and nobody behaves like a real person.

EDIT: Also, am I misremembering or are the FBI agents actually in a circle around Jason at the beginning? How did they avoid shooting each other?

That's such an insane scene though they eventually cut back and show the FBI are in a semi-circle in front of Jason. But then guys are coming in on ropes out of trees, there's a mounted machine gun and a finishing blow artillery strike on Jason.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And Jason sounding like a room full of disgruntled men.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

For that matter bring back stuff like Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Key & Peele Meet Jason. The Muppets vs. The Evil Dead.

I have been begging for this. Check out Studio 666 it's the closest I've seen in ages

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
For some reason that made me think of the Roxbury guys running into Patrick Bateman at a club.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Class3KillStorm posted:

Someone in another thread had the nerve to congratulate me on 20 years on these goddam forums and I have never felt older.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

drat it, August and I'm already stressing about how to fill a challenge.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

drat it, August and I'm already stressing about how to fill a challenge.

Keep in mind you'll have more flexibility compared to previous years to complete challenges with rewatches, if you choose to.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

weekly font posted:

Same. Here’s a shovel for your shallow grave gramps.

When my theater was showing Ghostbusters: Afterlife, I dug out the Ghostbuster pin I got from somewhere back when the original movie came out and had it on my work hoodie. I'd get tons of compliments on it, and then there was this exchange:

Little Kid: Oooh GHOSTBUSTERS! (pointing at my pin)
Kid's Dad: That's a nice pin, do you have them in there?
Me: Nah, I got this way back when I saw the first movie.
Kid's Dad: (to the kid) Oh, she's old like grandma.
Me: :stare:

My co-worker: ...you don't look old.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would like to reiterate that the box art of Dracula Vs. Frankenstein is misleading

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

And it's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKs4Q0h4Tqg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Key and Peele meet Jason would be amazing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hell yes

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

As is my Shudder subscription, then!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol what are their values?

Also that's awesome, you should just cast the rep as the wrestler

They didn't specify but I imagine it was mostly about there not being anything else in the script that they wouldn't want to be associated with the sport.

Like if there was some alt-right political stuff or the wrestling was used for evil or something.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:woop:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Jason goes to hell owns, sorry haters

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jason Goes to Hell does loving own. Its hella bloody. It looks fantastic. Like it does not look cheap at all. The Bloated Jason design at the beginning is loving fantastic. It features the Necronomicon and Jason being a deadite.

Oh Jesus Christ Jason Goes to Hell came out in 1993. gently caress I'm old.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 21, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll rewatch it someday bc I have the correct blu ray via shout but the only thing that stinks about it no matter what is non jason jasons. At least put on a hockey mask dang.

But still better than 8. I hate 8 so much. Wretched in every way.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh and it's got Creighton Duke which is all time great horror characters.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I barely think of Part 8 as a Friday the 13th movie and it improves my enjoyment of it and I gotta agree that it looks awesome.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Jason goes to Hell Poster used to be one of the ones that really hosed me up at rhe video store

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, you're welcome for the Creepshow announcement. I assume this trailer came out based directly on me being a little poo poo about a lack of Creepshow in my cancelation survey :colbert:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well I did go and see Antichrist - there were about 9 others in the screening - and I quite enjoyed it (as much as one can say they enjoy a film such as that), it would make a good double feature with Mother!. I'm glad I didn't watch it on my own, plus it was shot really well and those 1000fps slomo scenes coupled with the ambient score really hit different on the big screen. Great performances from the two leads, especially from Charlotte Gainsbourg as She, who really sold her character's grief. I'm going to have to listen to her Deadly Valentine LP again aren't I.

The same cinema is also showing Nymphomaniac over two nights, but I think that one would be more uncomfortable to watch with others - they aren't showing Dogville which is a shame as I saw half of it years ago on TV and still haven't gotten around to the rest of it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Jason Goes to Hell does loving own. Its hella bloody. It looks fantastic. Like it does not look cheap at all. The Bloated Jason design at the beginning is loving fantastic. It features the Necronomicon and Jason being a deadite.

Oh Jesus Christ Jason Goes to Hell came out in 1993. gently caress I'm old.

This is ehy your my ik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Jason at the beginning is legit. I wish Neca would hurry up and make the rest of the Jason’s bc that one and both Jason Xs kick rear end design wise and I’d love to have em