Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Cartoon Man posted:

Outside of being in the State Department, why the hell would you wanna go there in the first place, even before the Ukrainian invasion.

People have family and stuff, I guess. But from what I can gather this is due to borders accessibility being unpredictable and travelling across Russia not being a great idea for Westerners. The UK have issued similar advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tunicate posted:

In a couple centuries they will be on great terms. Like the Irish and the British.

Oh sure... just as soon as they let go of us that are stuck here in Norn Iron.... gonna take more than a few centuries for the hugs & kisses to set in. :lol:

Ukraine & Russia is going to take a long, long time for wounds to heal

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The US has issued a warning for all citizens to leave Belarus immediately.

Where are you seeing this? From what I can find, the US has urged all Americans to leave Belarus in February 2022.

Today, the US Embassy in Minsk did post a notice that the Lithuanian government closed border crossings, and further crossings could be shut down in the future.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

From the 70s lmao

The crazy thing is that the F-22 and F-35 came in so late and over budget not because they were particularly bad, but heavily because the F-16 kept completely kicking their rear end. I really hope the Ukrainian pilots get all the training they need, because a couple dozen F-16s in the right hands really could have a very measurable impact.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vaginaface posted:

re: the thousands of laughing emojis, can anyone offer insight from the Russian perspective? Nobody goes "oh hell yeah, murdered children" without some political spin behind it. Does that reaction mean "we think you're making this up", "you brought this on yourselves", or what?

Internet allows people to be monstrous pos without immediate threat of being punched

Also it is a screenshot of wagner pmc fan club, you might imagine what kind of people are subscribed to that

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 21, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

William Bear posted:

Where are you seeing this? From what I can find, the US has urged all Americans to leave Belarus in February 2022.

Today, the US Embassy in Minsk did post a notice that the Lithuanian government closed border crossings, and further crossings could be shut down in the future.

Those advisories have been updated today, in respect to the Lithuanian closures. The link you shared does have the "should leave immediately" wording, but its not clear to me how long that's been in there.

Edit: Since June at least, it seems.

fatherboxx posted:

Internet allows people to be monstrous pos without immediate threat of being punched

Also it is a screenshot of wagner pmc fan club, you might imagine what kind of people are subscribed to that

I was wondering that when it was noted its a Telegram group. I mean, it's still depressing and disturbing. Although, I'm not sure what Russian Telegram usage looks like, if its a common thing or if its the buying weed app like here.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 21, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Telegram is one of the biggest social media platforms in Russia along with VK and WhatsApp. It's used for everything

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I was wondering that when it was noted its a Telegram group. I mean, it's still depressing and disturbing. Although, I'm not sure what Russian Telegram usage looks like, if its a common thing or if its the buying weed app like here.

Telegram became the primary messaging app in the past years because it blows whatsapp out of the water in regards to speed, calls and file sharing and it is not censored/instantly monitored like homegrown VK (created by the same guy, but taken away by the government). VK is also trying to be the everything-app and is plague by algorithmic feed. Old people use whatsapp though still, which is loving horrible. In Ukraine it is split between telegram and Facebook (ugh).

Also the channel system is nifty, way more pleasant and moderatable than twitter, more compact than discord, reminds me of good old google reader days.

Here is the link to the horrible post https://t.me/apwagner/11607

If you want solace a post that Robotyno has been lost has 10k laughing reactions https://t.me/apwagner/11627

Probably nothing.... (Dont scroll through that channel for obvious :nms: reasons)

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 21, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

beer_war posted:

That said, goddamn, these thumbnails.

You'd think Ukraine has won the war three times over already.

Yeah them thumbnails are cringe. I always feel dirty clicking them. I wish he didn't do that, because his info seems to be clear, good, and factual. I wish the tech giant fuckface algorithms and the fuckface tech giant companies catering to fuckfaces didn't run this show, or everything, or anything. loving post information world

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Von Pluring posted:

Hate the player, hate the game
gently caress the algorithm and anyone making these idiot thumbnails for whatever reason.

Look at me being all edgy and stuff. But seriously.

If that's the most clickbaity thumbnail I see all day today, then it's been a pretty good day.

Vaginaface posted:

Nobody goes "oh hell yeah, murdered children"

I have some bad news for you

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lifespan posted:

The crazy thing is that the F-22 and F-35 came in so late and over budget not because they were particularly bad, but heavily because the F-16 kept completely kicking their rear end. I really hope the Ukrainian pilots get all the training they need, because a couple dozen F-16s in the right hands really could have a very measurable impact.

Given the limited amount of airframes they are getting and the possibly limited amount of pilots/pilot training bottle neck I would be pretty surprised if they risked the F-16s doing anything other than drone/missile interception in areas where they don't have to worry about enemy AA.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Given the limited amount of airframes they are getting and the possibly limited amount of pilots/pilot training bottle neck I would be pretty surprised if they risked the F-16s doing anything other than drone/missile interception in areas where they don't have to worry about enemy AA.

Depending on what missiles Ukraine gets, F-16 can completely avoid Russia AA.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If you use the F-16 correctly then there is no AA to speak of because you blew it up from a missile you launched 150km away (it gets dicier against an S-400 but Russia has few enough of those remaining that it's an acceptable risk)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So does Ukraine start F-16 training this month? This lady is in the AFU and is claiming it started 2-3 months ago, which I highly doubt
https://twitter.com/SarahAshtonLV/status/1693463547190092263

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tai posted:

Depending on what missiles Ukraine gets, F-16 can completely avoid Russia AA.

I think this a rather dangerous assumption to make given the relatively close distances involved, the hilariously thick saturation of AA present on both sides, and the fact that this assumes Ukraine knows where all Russian AA is at all times.

I'm more than willing to be proven wrong once the F-16s are in Ukraine and doing poo poo, but people have been building this up as a game changer, and it would probably be wise to hedge optimism.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Willo567 posted:

So does Ukraine start F-16 training this month? This lady is in the AFU and is claiming it started 2-3 months ago, which I highly doubt
https://twitter.com/SarahAshtonLV/status/1693463547190092263

This Guardian article from June 15th claims - per NATO's secretary general - that Ukrainian pilots had started F-16 training

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/15/ukraine-pilots-trained-f-16-jets-nato-russia

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

This Guardian article from June 15th claims - per NATO's secretary general - that Ukrainian pilots had started F-16 training

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/15/ukraine-pilots-trained-f-16-jets-nato-russia

So why is it being reported that F-16 training has just started? Even Reznikov I'd saying now it's starting
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/08/20/world/ukrainian-fighters-training-f-16-intl-hnk/index.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

So why is it being reported that F-16 training has just started? Even Reznikov I'd saying now it's starting
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/08/20/world/ukrainian-fighters-training-f-16-intl-hnk/index.html

There were some simulator assessments done months ago so maybe some people count that: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/basic-f-16-training-for-ukrainian-pilots-could-take-just-four-months

In which case I'm a trained pilot already based on my Falcon 4.0 flight hours.

Telsa Cola posted:

I think this a rather dangerous assumption to make given the relatively close distances involved, the hilariously thick saturation of AA present on both sides, and the fact that this assumes Ukraine knows where all Russian AA is at all times.

I'm more than willing to be proven wrong once the F-16s are in Ukraine and doing poo poo, but people have been building this up as a game changer, and it would probably be wise to hedge optimism.
The main threat would be from the S400/S300 and :nsa: should have a good idea where those are.

That said, defeating their AA without any stealth jets would be pretty tough and I wouldn't count on that being a priority.
Still, just being able to launch shitloads of missiles from safety would be a big deal.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 21, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Just speculating but it could be that 1. they didn't want to announce it until everything was set up and in place and signed or 2. The 70-90 days ago thing is a stretch / lie

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Gnoman posted:

These planes actually basically that old, though the very newest ones were manufactured in the 80s. The Danish and Dutch F-16s were all -A (the original "strap the biggest engine you can find on the least amount of plane you can fit two missiles and a gun on" plane) and -B (the two-seat trainer version of the same) models.

They received an electronics upgrade to bring them close to the C/D Block 52 spec, but the core planes really are that old.

They are still being produced today - block 70's just started rolling off the line a year ago.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/first-f-16-block-70-emerges-from-lockheed-martins-new-factory-128-more-on-order/

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cartoon Man posted:

Ukraine is hitting Moscow with drones, Russia claims to have shot them all down.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/8887903/moscow-drone-siege-airports-putin/

Moscow, Moscow,
Smoke is drifting on the air,
poo poo is burning everywhere,
Ho ho ho ho ho, hey!

Moscow, Moscow,
Drones are flying through the night,
See how Putin quakes in fright,
Ha ha ha ha ha!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

From Kyiv in 3 days to "lets resurrect WWII airframes for CAS"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laffo: :lol: :lmao:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

I'm one of the posters pushing back against the thread that F-16's are a game changer actually. They will only help.

AIM-120 missiles are an Air to Air missiles that does not need visual or radar to fire. They'll be able to pluck out other aircraft without having to see it or Russian AA see's an F-16. It has a range of roughy 120km.

edit - HIMARS and other GLMRS systems have been smashing up AA pretty hard the last few weeks. I guess Ukraine knew F-16's were coming and is starting the clearing process. Much like logistics, they are going to push AA coverage further back I would assume is the play here.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 21, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

I'm one of the posters pushing back against the thread that F-16's are a game changer actually. They will only help.

AIM-120 missiles are an Air to Air missiles that does not need visual or radar to fire. They'll be able to pluck out other aircraft without having to see it or Russian AA see's an F-16. It has a range of roughy 120km.

This. They'll improve the situation of Ukraine wrt SEAD/DEAD and acting in an air defense role during missile and drone tantrums, but they're alone not going to lead to swift victory. POCCNR still has a great deal of rusty junk to resurrect from their boneyards.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Zopotantor posted:

Moscow, Moscow,
Smoke is drifting on the air,
poo poo is burning everywhere,
Ho ho ho ho ho, hey!

Moscow, Moscow,
Drones are flying through the night,
See how Putin quakes in fright,
Ha ha ha ha ha!

Moscow, Moscow, come and have a tea and then
You will never leave again
Ha ha ha ha ha!

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tai posted:

As with everything else, the air force will sooner or later have to transition to equipment as replacing the Su and other soviet era series wont be possible given that the other NATO countries have moved away from that equipment. Its really a matter of doing this now or later but it will happen regardless.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

zone posted:

From Kyiv in 3 days to "lets resurrect WWII airframes for CAS"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :laffo: :lol: :lmao:

iron curtain to iron bathtub any% speedrun

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's very fair to call those people subhuman scum.

No but can't you see, its bloodlusting and unfair to label these 46,900 people cheering their army killing children from a neighboring country as assholes and say that they deserve absolutely everything bad that happens to them because of this war.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Another 2 russian counter attacks gone up in smoke.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hot take: it is correct and good to stop the cycle of hate when it comes to us specifically

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tai posted:

Another 2 russian counter attacks gone up in smoke.

They had a bunch of Belarusian tanks get smoked on the offensives you are taking about.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
re: F-16's

Anyone mocking the F16 doesn't understand; Vipers are really, really loving loud and they shake the walls and knock things off shelves when they fly overhead. Don't underestimate how intimidating a combat fighter from the 1970's and early 80's can be.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Outside of being in the State Department, why the hell would you wanna go there in the first place, even before the Ukrainian invasion.

To get some cool optics from belomo, maker of fine loupes and other lenses.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Der Kyhe posted:

No but can't you see, its bloodlusting and unfair to label these 46,900 people cheering their army killing children from a neighboring country as assholes and say that they deserve absolutely everything bad that happens to them because of this war.

Maybe this is just one russian guy being extremely happy that Ukrainian child is dead, and his 46899 alts?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Coolguye posted:

hot take: it is correct and good to stop the cycle of hate when it comes to us specifically

Actually it is good to stop the cycle of hate when the people being hated stop doing the things that make people hate them.

Turning the other cheek when it comes to 47,000 people celebrating the death of a six year old is bullshit. Don't use slurs but drat we should be allowed to call evil people monsters when they act monstrous and inhumane.

tango alpha delta posted:

re: F-16's

Anyone mocking the F16 doesn't understand; Vipers are really, really loving loud and they shake the walls and knock things off shelves when they fly overhead. Don't underestimate how intimidating a combat fighter from the 1970's and early 80's can be.

any good fighter will be loud as poo poo because the true mark of a fighting ace is creating sonic booms underneath you wherever you go and not leaving a single pane of glass unshattered in your wake

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 21, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Der Kyhe posted:

It's fair to call them assholes for posting a laughing emoji in response to a dead child. However, using a slur or wishing harm on them won't fix the issue and only serves to dehumanize even more people than this lovely war already has.

Coolguye posted:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
i for one feel a serene sense of moral superiority as i behold tens of thousands of people mocking the murder of a child and calmly scroll past so as to not accidentally offend them with my reactions

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
it's likely a lot of those people reacting to that girls shoe thing are actually bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Tai posted:

it's likely a lot of those people reacting to that girls shoe thing are actually bots.

based on what?