Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not covid-specific, but, you know.

Yeah I just don't know why change their messaging between last year when they just came out and said it was COVID and now unless it's fallout from the Metallica thing? Anyways I think rolling stone did some investigation and determined that there was actually specific language about covid and not just "any communicable disease."

E:

quote:

Rolling Stone obtained and reviewed a 2020 musician tour contract with one major insurance company, which stipulates that the insurance does not cover any losses from communicable diseases unless an infection is directly the cause of the cancellation or a government authority orders the venue to close — but then further stipulates that “notwithstanding the above, this insurance excludes any loss directly or indirectly arising out of, contributed by, or resulting from Coronavirus (2019-nCoV / Covid-19) or any mutation or variation thereof and/or threat (whether actual or perceived) or fear thereof.” The insurer did not respond to request for comment.

Which is just why it's not straightforward that Paramore would postpone multiple shows in 2022 and directly say it's covid to lie about it now. Hard to speculate much more than that either way based on what we can know, but Paramore twitter sure is worked up about it lol.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1693271300460962195

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

War!
Though war may seem a bloody curse
It is a blessing in reverse
When cannon roar
Both rich and poor
By danger are united

Philosophers make evident
The point that I have cited
'Tis war makes equal, as it were
The noble and the commoner
Thus war improves relations!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

speng31b posted:

I mean Hayley hasn't claimed that the cancellation is based on COVID. In fact she said her condition was not contagious. And they have a track record of cancelling shows in the past year and just coming out and directly saying it's because of COVID. So maybe they're lying now because the Metallica case scared people badly enough who have previously been honest about that stuff? Idk.

the metallica suit wasn't because any of the band got sick. it was governments shutting down things that caused the cancellation of a lot of tour dates, and this was not a covered peril in their contract. if they had gotten sick, i believe it would have been covered.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Lib and let die posted:

ait with a nuke

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i worked in concerts for 20 years, and show/tour cancellations are up by an absurd amount compared to pre-covid. it went from under 5% of shows being canceled, to 20-30% getting canceled. with the end of year shows getting closer to 50%.

the info on why shows get canceled has always been spotty, especially due to health reasons. but there's a big gap in the number of additional shows being canceled due to covid, and the number that admit that it's covid causing the cancellation.

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
This is all I have bookmarked for covid + cancer, it's over my head but it seems to say covid makes cancer worse anyway.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167488923001131

ibid has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Aug 21, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr. Nice! posted:

the metallica suit wasn't because any of the band got sick. it was governments shutting down things that caused the cancellation of a lot of tour dates, and this was not a covered peril in their contract. if they had gotten sick, i believe it would have been covered.

You've debated yourself into a corner where you have to say that insurance companies would cover something.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

ibid posted:

This is all I have bookmarked for covid + cancer, it's over my head but it seems to say covid makes cancer worse anyway.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167488923001131

Yep!

quote:

Disruption of the TGF-β pathway has been implicated in many human diseases, including solid and hematopoietic tumors. As a potent inhibitor of cell proliferation, TGF-β acts as a tumor suppressor; however in tumor cells, TGF-β loses anti-proliferative response and become an oncogenic factor.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

jetz0r posted:

i worked in concerts for 20 years, and show/tour cancellations are up by an absurd amount compared to pre-covid. it went from under 5% of shows being canceled, to 20-30% getting canceled. with the end of year shows getting closer to 50%.

the info on why shows get canceled has always been spotty, especially due to health reasons. but there's a big gap in the number of additional shows being canceled due to covid, and the number that admit that it's covid causing the cancellation.

It's the same issue as absenteeism in school. A good portion of my extended family and social circle work in education and have for most of their lives, and all I hear is that they've never seen anything like the post-2020 environment. Kids are just out all the time now, nobody knows why, and it gets papered over because schools already didn't have the resources to deal with pre-pandemic absenteeism rates.

That's not my scene anymore but the things I've had people tell me about absences definitely don't line up with anything I experienced 10+ years ago.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

eXXon posted:

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

I've seen a few things like this and I just don't understand the premise. When I was selling food to people, I don't recall any occasions where getting to see a rich guy did anything for me. It's fairly likely that somebody was walking out thinking "wow those broke fucks sure can put food on a plate" at some point, but whether or not they did didn't seem to change much about anyone's situation. I have never made a rich friend while at target.

jetz0r posted:

Yeah I spent a lot of time around live music for a good percentage of my life, and I don't remember cancellations being very common at all. Somebody's lovely van breaking down or something, sure, but big acts cancelling this often definitely feels new.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Whats the current cdc regs on boosters going into fall? Last one I got was the original bivalent.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zerg Mans posted:

Whats the current cdc regs on boosters going into fall? Last one I got was the original bivalent.

President Joe said everyone should get one I think yesterday? So I think its going to be easy to boost.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Zerg Mans posted:

There's supposed to be a new one coming out in the next month-ish, so probably wait for that

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
this thread should've gotten its QCS vaccine, smdh

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Zerg Mans posted:

Whats the current cdc regs on boosters going into fall?

"Wash your hands."

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Paradoxish posted:

It's the same issue as absenteeism in school. A good portion of my extended family and social circle work in education and have for most of their lives, and all I hear is that they've never seen anything like the post-2020 environment. Kids are just out all the time now, nobody knows why, and it gets papered over because schools already didn't have the resources to deal with pre-pandemic absenteeism rates.

That's not my scene anymore but the things I've had people tell me about absences definitely don't line up with anything I experienced 10+ years ago.

When I was in school you could only miss like 10 days total, excused or not, before it was threatened to hold you back a grade. How are they letting kids move up?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

speng31b posted:

Which is just interesting that Paramore would postpone multiple shows in 2022 and directly say it's covid to lie about it now.

Perhaps they lost a lot of money from doing that last year. In any case, I think we can all agree that there is a lot more newspeak going around. And it is very hard to get actual data on anything anymore.

Anyways, getting my colonoscopy prep lined up. The email did say to wear a mask when you show up, lol. We see how this goes.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lacrosse posted:

When I was in school you could only miss like 10 days total, excused or not, before it was threatened to hold you back a grade. How are they letting kids move up?

Just signing the papers anyway

rules are fake if you're in charge

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Real Mean Queen posted:

There's supposed to be a new one coming out in the next month-ish, so probably wait for that

I've heard so little about it. Like what variant is it supposed to train against? When will it be available? Are they going to stagger rollout?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh sorry I forgot that the CDC and FDA are apolitical organizations that Follow The Science and that its impossible that they would change their booster recommendations just because the president told them to. So actually it won't be possible for you to get one unless you're over 60 or immune-compromised.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

speng31b posted:

Yeah I just don't know why change their messaging between last year when they just came out and said it was COVID and now unless it's fallout from the Metallica thing? Anyways I think rolling stone did some investigation and determined that there was actually specific language about covid and not just "any communicable disease."

E:

Which is just why it's not straightforward that Paramore would postpone multiple shows in 2022 and directly say it's covid to lie about it now. Hard to speculate much more than that either way based on what we can know, but Paramore twitter sure is worked up about it lol.

It seems the insurance norm is that COVID isn't covered, so a change in insurance or a stern talking to by their accountant would probably do it. I honestly don't particularly care if it is COVID or not, but speculating that the respiratory illness that everyone is getting repeatedly might be the cause of lung illness, doesn't seem particularly ~out there~.

That said, if the premise of the thread existing is that people don't do that speculation, then I would urge people to stop doing said speculation. Even if I think that is an asinine rule.

As an aside - that doesn't have anything to do with the quoted post, but I found contextually amusing - Paramore participated in Corona Capital 2022.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/zalaly/status/1693640539537555921?s=20

this is all good, then, right, assuming that you're rooting for the virus?

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin

quote:

1/ 📣 New from my team in @NatureMedicine

In a study of 6 million people, we examined risk trajectories of 80 components of Long Covid over 2 years post-infection

📌 Risks remained elevated for many Long Covid conditions even 2 years infection

2/ The study included:

138,818 individuals with SARS-CoV-2
&
5,985,227 non-infected controls

We followed them for 2 years to characterize the risk trajectories of death, hospitalization and 80 components of Long Covid

3/ In people who were not hospitalized during the acute phase of COVID (the majority)

risk of death remained elevated up to 6 months

risk of hospitalization remained elevated up to 19 months

risks remained elevated for 31% of sequelae during the 2-year

more

many charts

https://nitter.net/zalaly/status/1693640539537555921

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02521-2

https://twitter.com/zalaly/status/1693640539537555921

ibid
Aug 18, 2022

by vyelkin
lol, beaten :cheers:

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Heh, maybe we can just edit the first post on every page to include the upcoming vax info, as best we know it.

New Moderna/Pfizer and hopefully Novavax boosters are coming out hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks ("end of september"). They will be monovalent, targeting the XBB.1.5 variant. Hopefully will be available to everyone, although how much insurance will cover and how the uninsured will be able to get them is still unknown. Hopefully they will also be available for children, at least moderna is allowing pediatricians to order them. Maybe want to call your kid's doctor to express interest.

The various government agencies seems to be expecting everything to just come together in the next couple weeks with apparently little to no coordination/communication. I'm going to be a little amazed if it actually does.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Vaccines aren't a cure, sadly.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

I mean Hayley hasn't claimed that the cancellation is based on COVID. In fact she said her condition was not contagious. And they have a track record of cancelling shows in the past year and just coming out and directly saying it's because of COVID. So maybe they're lying now because the Metallica case scared people badly enough who have previously been honest about that stuff? Idk.

you should post in D&D. great potential for you as a moderator there.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Don't encourage self-harm.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baddog posted:

(..)
The various government agencies seems to be expecting everything to just come together in the next couple weeks with apparently little to no coordination/communication. I'm going to be a little amazed if it actually does.

Yeah, right now it is clearly headed for a clusterfuck. I would not be surprised if the initial goon rush is met with "what vaccine?" and "we don't have that".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pingui posted:

Yeah, right now it is clearly headed for a clusterfuck. I would not be surprised if the initial goon rush is met with "what vaccine?" and "we don't have that".

80 out of the total 3000 boosters that are asked for nationwide will be from this thread.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

I've heard so little about it. Like what variant is it supposed to train against? When will it be available? Are they going to stagger rollout?

Monovalent booster against XBB 1.5, shows good reactivity against the various variants circulating when it was approved, expected to be approved end of September for 12 and up, and nobody knows the plan right now lol what do you think this is a competent organization.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Baddog posted:

I'm guessing their expectation is that very few people will actually get boosted regardless of what they do so they've preemptively thrown their hands in the air so they can blame other people for the eventual problems that arise from folks not being up to date. Also so they can continue victim blaming unvaxxed folks for the continued death and disability.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 17:51 on Aug 21, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Unless they can point to unresponded to reports, they should stfu.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The SAD thread is reopened...

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

eXXon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/dbt1RY1.mp4

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lacrosse posted:

Truancy enforcement is pretty fuzzy. I was chronically absent in high school, but I got through just fine despite a lot of meetings and threats. When I worked in IT for my city's school district the top truant officer (and also the guy who used to threaten my parents lmao) for the district had the office next to mine and we'd talk a lot, but the bottom line is that there weren't resources to pursue most truancy issues and they were mostly only interested in cases where they seemed to be some other underlying delinquency or abuse issues.

For CT, the rule is 4 unexcused days in a month or 10 unexcused days in a year will get you a visit, but "unexcused" pulls a lot of weight. If the parents know about the absences, the kid seems to be legitimately sick, and there's no evidence that the kid is just running off instead of staying home, then things will probably be fine. I'm guessing with absenteeism way up there's a lot less verification and a lot more rubber stamping happening.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zerg Mans posted:

Schmeichy posted:

Just so you two see it:

Baddog posted:

Heh, maybe we can just edit the first post on every page to include the upcoming vax info, as best we know it.

New Moderna/Pfizer and hopefully Novavax boosters are coming out hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks ("end of september"). They will be monovalent, targeting the XBB.1.5 variant. Hopefully will be available to everyone, although how much insurance will cover and how the uninsured will be able to get them is still unknown. Hopefully they will also be available for children, at least moderna is allowing pediatricians to order them. Maybe want to call your kid's doctor to express interest.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

and presumably the last loving thing the people in charge of the budgets want is more kids in the school system for longer, holding kids back hasn't been much of a thing anymore for quite a while, and that seems even less likely to change now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

In districts with performance-based pay, retaining students also carries a material penalty for the teacher.