Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

I'd say Eric Lindros

I (middle aged white guy) literally had no idea what this whole 88 dogwhistle thing is until I read about it. I always just thought 88 it was some appropriation of the asian "88" good luck # (or whatever it is) until the last few months.

But then again, I'm an idiot.

Lol I advise no one look at real estate prices in lower mainland BC. They all really love hitler!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
LT Floatplane subs under 36k

Still dropping, but slowly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oy, their "apology" video is already 5 days old. Two more days to additional fun time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Socialblade is saying the main LTT channel lost 1.2 mil video views - did they remove some videos?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Y'all should start posting your pitchfork collections for a change.

There's plenty of wrong with LTT and their staff, but this is getting ridiculous.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

mewse posted:

Socialblade is saying the main LTT channel lost 1.2 mil video views - did they remove some videos?

Someone mentioned on reddit some video was made private with a mention about editorial accuracy or something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mewse posted:

Did they take down the Billetlabs video yet? That would probably account for that (and if not, good lord why are they keeping it up?)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Randalor posted:

Did they take down the Billetlabs video yet? That would probably account for that (and if not, good lord why are they keeping it up?)

The Billet labs video is still up, because LMG is provably run by a complete piece of poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gros Tarla posted:

Someone mentioned on reddit some video was made private with a mention about editorial accuracy or something.

Ah, ok. So nobody else has to go to reddit:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well at least Linus saved like $500 bucks on labor costs

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

priznat posted:

Lol I advise no one look at real estate prices in lower mainland BC. They all really love hitler!!

Do be aware, 88 is seen as very lucky in the Chinese language/culture. This may account for those real estate prices as there is a large Chinese population in BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(number)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

88 is also the miles per hour at which you start to see some serious poo poo.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

SourKraut posted:

88 is also the miles per hour at which you start to see some serious poo poo.

As witnessed by this thread.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

mewse posted:

It was another case of 'using the item in question on the wrong device'

The video was for glasses with a screen like the NReal Air, but for the Switch. So of course LTT decided to test it with an ROG Ally and then call the product poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Unfortunately Nazis like to ruin completely normal and innocuous things and those things continue to exist after the Nazis mis-appropriate them

mewse
May 2, 2006

c355n4 posted:

Do be aware, 88 is seen as very lucky in the Chinese language/culture. This may account for those real estate prices as there is a large Chinese population in BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(number)

I don't understand why the Chinese would have a tradition of white supremacy

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Starting to think LTT might not be the most reliable source for tech reviews

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

grack posted:

The Billet labs video is still up, because LMG is provably run by a complete piece of poo poo.

mewse posted:

These two back to back is just... "editorial accuracy". So in other words, LMG is saying that the Billet Lab video, aka: "This video where we used the wrong card for testing this product, admitted we hosed up and refused to test it properly because it would cost us two whole backpacks of money" is "editorially accurate" for them to keep up. Instead of taking it down because, oh what's a good CYA line... "The testing on the product in this video was horribly performed and does not live up to the standards expected by LMG. We apologize to Billet Labs for the mishandling of the product, but due to us no longer having the heat block, we are unable to properly retest it."

There, that took me 5 minutes to come up with and write.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
If I were LMG, I wouldn't unlist the billet labs video because that would look like I'm trying to sweep it under the rug

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Randalor posted:

These two back to back is just... "editorial accuracy". So in other words, LMG is saying that the Billet Lab video, aka: "This video where we used the wrong card for testing this product, admitted we hosed up and refused to test it properly because it would cost us two whole backpacks of money" is "editorially accurate" for them to keep up. Instead of taking it down because, oh what's a good CYA line... "The testing on the product in this video was horribly performed and does not live up to the standards expected by LMG. We apologize to Billet Labs for the mishandling of the product, but due to us no longer having the heat block, we are unable to properly retest it."

That's 5 minutes you could have been using to do another LMG video, you clearly have poor time management skills :smug:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Randalor posted:

I thought his excuse was, "well, it's still a bad product, so there's no reason to retest it because we don't want to encourage anyone to buy it".

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If Linus fucks up, it is editorially accurate. If one of their other producers fucks up, it's an issue of editorial accuracy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought his excuse was, "well, it's still a bad product, so there's no reason to retest it because we don't want to encourage anyone to buy it".

Yep, the purpose of the review was to convince people it was too expensive to be worth it, and it is so it doesn't matter how much poo poo he did wrong

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I feel like any other media company would have severely reprimanded him, if not outright terminated him, for that standup routine. He's not just a behind-the-scenes dude that writes scripts, he's a frequent on-camera personality and a very visible representative of their company, and something like that can potentially tarnish a company's image. I would think Linus has to know about that video (I'd be shocked if it hadn't been brought to his attention numerous times), so it's either that he doesn't care about it or is perfectly OK with it. In either case the result is the same: an implied approval of whatever it was James was saying during his set.

It's wild how the last time I saw someone get caught out online with that kind of 'wink-wink-misogyny-but-not-really-it's-cool' "comedy" in a standup video it was a little-known liberal videogames reviewer named Ian Miles Cheong

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Triikan posted:

If I were LMG, I wouldn't unlist the billet labs video because that would look like I'm trying to sweep it under the rug

They've shown to have the ability to just inject new videos into already existing listings as a feature of YouTube. I wouldn't mind a disclaimer at the front/end of the video or something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Yep, the purpose of the review was to convince people it was too expensive to be worth it, and it is so it doesn't matter how much poo poo he did wrong

I wonder how mad Linus would be if someone bought his screwdriver and then complained that it was a poor hammer or prybar...

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

I wonder how mad Linus would be if someone bought his screwdriver and then complained that it was a poor hammer or prybar...

Only one way to find out, you know what you must do.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But what store carries the screwdriver so I can... "borrow" it without giving LMG my money?

KINEX
Sep 26, 2005

It was as close as I could get it.
Pillbug
According to one of the last few WAN shows, they now stock the screwdriver on Amazon.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... does Amazon still have a generous return policy?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

Unfortunately Nazis like to ruin completely normal and innocuous things and those things continue to exist after the Nazis mis-appropriate them

Once upon a time, I was walking down the street with my fiance, and a man complimented us, saying we were a cute couple. We are both tall, blonde, blue eyes.

The man had a swastika tattoo on his forehead.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

lol

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Starting to think LTT might not be the most reliable source for tech reviews
I think you're onto something, OP.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think you're onto something, OP.

who does the best reviews of obscure bsd features in your opinion

who can i turn to for the hot new setup tool for jails

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Randalor posted:

... does Amazon still have a generous return policy?

Yeah

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

who does the best reviews of obscure bsd features in your opinion

who can i turn to for the hot new setup tool for jails
:iiam:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I think all Gamer’s Nexus did was give their employees a thing to rally around.
If this was a regular issue that could be handled internally they could just slow down, post videos every other day, etc. A few people would be mad, but to the outside world nothing really changes.

Actually shutting down releases for a few days for internal issues is SERIOUS. No ad reads = actual lost income. They must have had an actual employee revolt with resignations threatened from key people.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Coffee Jones posted:

I think all Gamer’s Nexus did was give their employees a thing to rally around.
If this was a regular issue that could be handled internally they could just slow down, post videos every other day, etc. A few people would be mad, but to the outside world nothing really changes.

Actually shutting down releases for a few days for internal issues is SERIOUS. No ad reads = actual lost income. They must have had an actual employee revolt with resignations threatened from key people.

More likely to be major sponsors sending very carefully worded emails rather than internal pressure.

Things such as:
- Get your house in order
- We have a morality clause
- Put your hand in this box of glass

Internally they likely just view this as being blown out or proportion, but yeah you could have a few vocal employees to add to the above. Not like they have a proper way to address employee concerns anyway :v:

Edit: Seriously, their best play here is to shut the gently caress up for a week, apologize again, hire a dedicated HR director with no prior affiliation to the owners/leadership, and go on making videos. This poo poo would roll off in year or so if they are able to get sponsors to stay.

Part 1 is probably the hardest part for them.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 21, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Have they lost any sponsors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Bondematt posted:

More likely to be major sponsors sending very carefully worded emails rather than internal pressure.
you also have to remember that every sponsor that makes products ltt review are now dragged into the noctua shitshow, so it's also going to force some sponsors to juggle doing spots and not having reviews of their products invalidated by conflicts of interest. i'm sure they're delighted