Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's explicitly designed so that when it blows up there's a whole chain of explosions that travel up the neck from the back to the front for maximum spectacle. You get extra glory points the cooler your death looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The really cool guys position themselves just right so the blast throws them clean out the bow, so they can hit the opposing ship with a melee weapon before the vacuum gets them

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'd say SNW's best use of The Volume was in the space-MASH flashbacks. They had all sorts of crazy explosions and poo poo in the background, but the real area was filled with stuff like crates, control panels, tents and the like so it didn't have that obvious and terrible flat open area.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pinterest Mom posted:

Some of the Star Wars shows (the non-Andor ones) are a lot more ambitious with their use of it, and it looks like absolute poo poo there. After a while you start noticing that actors are always standing very close together inside a void, and all the detail is far in the background.
https://twitter.com/StarWars0nly/status/1692552165145882884

That looks terribly lazy and low energy

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The actors have said they really like working in the volume compared to green screen, because they know where they are instead of pretending where they are, so it makes it easier to shoot a scene.

Also, the mess hall in SNW was shot in the volume. It was a real set they put inside and basically just used it for the star field outside the windows. But for season 2 they built the bar set and intentionally didn't give it any windows, partially for production reasons.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, the mess hall in SNW was shot in the volume. It was a real set they put inside and basically just used it for the star field outside the windows. But for season 2 they built the bar set and intentionally didn't give it any windows, partially for production reasons.

Oh, that's a really cool use of it. Seems logistically kind of a hassle to keep moving all that stuff back in, and it would probably be overkill to have a permanent AR wall as part of a standing set for the mess hall, but this looks great.

https://twitter.com/flying_lobster/status/1526406493993590784

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
All this talk about The Volume really reminds me of that The Nozzle joke.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

mllaneza posted:

I'd say SNW's best use of The Volume was in the space-MASH flashbacks. They had all sorts of crazy explosions and poo poo in the background, but the real area was filled with stuff like crates, control panels, tents and the like so it didn't have that obvious and terrible flat open area.

A couple of times they've had flat settings where the "this is a couple of people in a small dome" thing was fairly obvious but I feel like it simply hasn't mattered because Trek has some decent design work going on while other things using the tech have not.

I don't really mind if I can tell people are in front of a greenscreen style effect when you're inside a living asteroid, talking to an interdimensional alien or doing a space walk as alien ships fly by rather than say, empty desert #73 or bland industrial grey settings

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FISHMANPET posted:

I noticed on SNW that most of the windows just look out onto a bright loving light instead of a starfield.

I guess "slowly rotating black sheet with holes poked in it in front of a light" is lost technology.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Seemlar posted:

I don't really mind if I can tell people are in front of a greenscreen style effect when you're inside a living asteroid, talking to an interdimensional alien or doing a space walk as alien ships fly by rather than say, empty desert #73 or bland industrial grey settings

My favorite 90s Trek staple was “small town square with clay and stone walls that suspiciously looks like the twenty other town squares we’ve beamed down to”.

Bonus if they’ve composited it into a matte painting as an establishing shot - they had extra budget that episode!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

It seems like poor ship design to have your business end at the end of a long tube from your engineering section, but I guess when I look at it that way it actually makes sense. Kind of approaching the same implicit reason behind nacelle/saucer from a different perspective.

I really like that most of the TOS ships share some basic design elements - the Enterprise and the Klingon battlecruiser both have a saucer/forward section separated from the engineering hull, the Romulan bird of prey has a saucer design like the Enterprise, they all have engines separated from the main body of the ship on pylons. It gives the impression that there's some sort of physical reason and benefit for those choices when even alien ships that have their own design language follow similar rules.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

I really like that most of the TOS ships share some basic design elements - the Enterprise and the Klingon battlecruiser both have a saucer/forward section separated from the engineering hull, the Romulan bird of prey has a saucer design like the Enterprise, they all have engines separated from the main body of the ship on pylons. It gives the impression that there's some sort of physical reason and benefit for those choices when even alien ships that have their own design language follow similar rules.
Wasn't the vague idea something like 'you need two of these to go in warp and you really don't want to be in between them when they do their thing'? Of course the Defiant kind of ignores that :v:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

From what I remember from the old Star Trek design books, yes the original idea was that the warp engines were dangerous because they were putting out huge amounts of energy and you wanted to have them far away from where everyone was spending most of their time. Beyond that there wasn't much thought into any of their workings, that was all developed from what was shown on screen by the fandom in the 70's. Paired engines were supposed to be a thing, but I don't think it was official you couldn't have anything in between them, that I think was something the fandom came up with based on the grill markings on the insides of the original nacelles looking like maybe it was something that could transmit energy between them. And that idea's been contradicted by lots of things on screen since then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The rule that engines had to exist in pairs came from Rodenberry, the two additional rules - that there had to be line of sight between the engine coil section of the nacelles ('power combs', as they called them) and that they had to have forward-visible clearance - were added by Probert.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They never even float the idea of beaming Pulaski out of the holodeck in Elementary, Dear Data.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

cenotaph posted:

They never even float the idea of beaming Pulaski out of the holodeck in Elementary, Dear Data.

That would violate the LARPing experience and as a bunch of the seasoned and serious LARPers, that would never do.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's usually just replacing the matte painting for whatever planet they're beaming down on. It's a good use of it, in keeping with the vague "we're staging a play" sense that a lot of TOS and TNG/DS9/Voyager have.

They also use it a lot less successfully to replace the mini-sets they built for whenever they hail someone and they show up on the viewscreen. There, it has the effect of "oh, I guess the Bird of Prey's bridge is uh, inside an empty cargo bay now?", it looks bad in that context.

Didn't the La Sirena bridge on Picard have the same problem? Like the bridge was in a giant room.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That case was deliberate design since they meant it to be a cargo ship. Picard didn't have access to the Volume set tech, it was all built sets and location shoots. Like the La Sarena itself:

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Later on Roddenberry added the 'rule' that starships had to have even numbers of warp nacelles in a deliberate dig at the Star Fleet Technical Manual which had single and triple-nacelled designs.
Because money of course.
Then TNG had the Freedom and Niagara classes class at Wolf 359, the Galaxy refit, and welp

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Should have had a couple of Vulcan inspired Starfleet vessels appear with ring nacelles in the newer shows.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Should have had a couple of Vulcan inspired Starfleet vessels appear with ring nacelles in the newer shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ApBlFpYHNE

https://twitter.com/howieeday/status/1463492178391363593?t=zMHi4poVfoVvHymeghgU1g&s=19

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 21, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's by the same fan that designed the Shangri-La class, which got mutated into the Titan-A on Picard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK3bctQPsOY

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That ringship is actually pretty drat cool and would bridge canon nicely with some Vulcan/XCV 330 Enterprise-influence meta/canon.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Eh. Strong visual language has been a great advantage for Star Trek. You have to establish and keep to a rule before you can break it to good effect. If you just keep breaking it you don't have a strong visual language anymore. One-nacelle (SNW) or 3-nacelle (All Good Things) ships give a specific vibe (puddle jumper and super ship respectively) precisely because we're so accustomed to what a Starfleet ship is.

Like the whole point of the ring drive ships is showing that they are not Starfleet ships.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I have some questions about how they're supposed to dock to that airlock on the side.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

I have some questions about how they're supposed to dock to that airlock on the side.

The travel pod dock?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Eh. Strong visual language has been a great advantage for Star Trek. You have to establish and keep to a rule before you can break it to good effect. If you just keep breaking it you don't have a strong visual language anymore. One-nacelle (SNW) or 3-nacelle (All Good Things) ships give a specific vibe (puddle jumper and super ship respectively) precisely because we're so accustomed to what a Starfleet ship is.

Like the whole point of the ring drive ships is showing that they are not Starfleet ships.

The ring drive ships are Starfleet ships though. That’s the whole point. They’re just Vulcan, not human.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arivia posted:

The ring drive ships are Starfleet ships though. That’s the whole point. They’re just Vulcan, not human.

The Vulcan science ships are not part of Starfleet, like most of the Vulcan characters we see in Starfleet have got poo poo for joining it and not staying with their own

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Arivia posted:

Federation, but not Starfleet. The Vulcan scientist from Lower Decks was transferred to Starfleet from a Vulcan High Command ship because she wasn't logical enough.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
drat, does Frank Langella look sharp & sexy on his turn as Minister Jaro.

I wonder how many times the phrase "I think you'd better come down here" is used on DS9. It feels like nearly once every episode.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Idk what the consensus opinion on this is but I watched Distant Origin last night and it’s maybe my favorite Voyager episode so far. Really like that it just focuses on the alien paleontologists for the first chunk of the episode.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Idk what the consensus opinion on this is but I watched Distant Origin last night and it’s maybe my favorite Voyager episode so far. Really like that it just focuses on the alien paleontologists for the first chunk of the episode.

It’s rad yeah, one of Chakotay’s best. He doesn’t have to be an Indigenous stereotype, just a proud Starfleet member. It’s good to see how far he’s come.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
The Center Seat, a 55th anniversary retrospective series on all things Trek (at least the Roddenberry/Berman eras) is on the Roku channel right now, so my husband and I gave it a watch. It's not afraid to take a few shots at Gene for being a petty mfer who didn't like other people having better ideas than him, but it's still fairly gentle overall. Which is why the Voyager episode stands out, because even with the kid gloves on, it sounds like it was an absolutely miserable set, especially after the intro of Jeri Ryan. Some of it was external (Paramount execs being lovely, but I repeat myself), but the apparent unwillingness of Berman and Braga to manage the tensions within the cast was just production malpractice.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Knormal posted:

I have similar questions about the main shuttlebay on the Nebula Class.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Center Seat is very good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

davidspackage posted:

I wonder how many times the phrase "I think you'd better come down here" is used on DS9. It feels like nearly once every episode.

Don't you see?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arivia posted:

It’s rad yeah, one of Chakotay’s best. He doesn’t have to be an Indigenous stereotype, just a proud Starfleet member. It’s good to see how far he’s come.

Hello Dinosaur Scientist. I can relate to you because I too am far from the bones of my ancestors.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

The travel pod dock?
Oh yeah, I'm too used to the extending docking bridges of NuTrek. That or I blocked the 20 minute pod sequence in TMP out of my memory.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Knormal posted:

Oh yeah, I'm too used to the extending docking bridges of NuTrek. That or I blocked the 20 minute pod sequence in TMP out of my memory.

could probably hook one of those up to the pod dock on the back of the bridge hump that it shares with the constitution refit. I know TNG shows a starbase gangway attached to the ENT-D at some point, but is there ever one in the TOS films for either of the Enterprises or the Excelsior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

could probably hook one of those up to the pod dock on the back of the bridge hump that it shares with the constitution refit. I know TNG shows a starbase gangway attached to the ENT-D at some point, but is there ever one in the TOS films for either of the Enterprises or the Excelsior?

There's a gangway connecting the Enterprise refit to the drydock in TMP. It's attached to the docking port on the side of the saucer section. Most starfleet ships have a port there, since it's the easiest place for any other object to fly up and connect to regardless of shape.

The ringship posted above has one of those docking ports too

It is a little weird that they don't have a universal docking system compatible with both pods and docking tunnels to some degree.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 22, 2023