Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

that's a lot of ketamine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

quote:

One day, Ukrainian forces advancing into contested areas in the south found themselves suddenly unable to communicate. “We were very close to the front line,” Mykola, the signal-corps soldier, told me. “We crossed this border and the Starlink stopped working.” The consequences were immediate. “Communications became dead, units were isolated. When you’re on offense, especially for commanders, you need a constant stream of information from battalions. Commanders had to drive to the battlefield to be in radio range, risking themselves,” Mykola said. “It was chaos.” Ukrainian expats who had raised funds for the Starlink units began receiving frantic calls. The tech executive recalls a Ukrainian military official telling him, “We need Elon now.” “How now?” he replied. “Like loving now,” the official said. “People are dying.” Another Ukrainian involved told me that he was “awoken by a dozen calls saying they’d lost connectivity and had to retreat.” The Financial Times reported that outages affected units in Kherson, Zaporizhzhia, Kharkiv, Donetsk, and Luhansk. American and Ukrainian officials told me they believed that SpaceX had cut the connectivity via geofencing, cordoning off areas of access.

lol imagine entrusting your life with a fickle little pissbaby like musk. goddamn.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

“We need Elon now.”

you won't care

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
waiting for elon musk to say climate change is a hoax

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
iirc he already said "climate change isn't much of a threat compared to population collapse" or something like that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

waiting for elon musk to say climate change is a hoax

i thought he already kinda did this in a roundabout way like a year ago

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol imagine entrusting your life with a fickle little pissbaby like musk. goddamn.

Following Musk is a hobby like watching baseball or paying attention to professional chess. If you aren’t in the know, it’s easy to assume that Elon is a mostly-functioning human being like Gates, Jobs, or Zuck. Only the “fans” are paying enough attention to know how one of these is not like the others. But you won’t suddenly find yourself cut off in a battlefield, or locked into your burning car, if you don’t remember who won the Super Bowl in 2021.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

the milk machine posted:

iirc he already said "climate change isn't much of a threat compared to population collapse" or something like that

this is true because we can just go to mars to have more babies until the leader of the colony accidentally bumps the oxygen cut off button while in a k hole

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Schmoe Cwead posted:

this is true because we can just go to mars to have more babies until the leader of the colony accidentally bumps the oxygen cut off button while in a k hole

you won't care. neither will i.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Would love to know what set off his insane obsession with population collapse. It's obviously a race thing but he's the only person I've seen so singularly obsessed.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Groovelord Neato posted:

Would love to know what set off his insane obsession with population collapse. It's obviously a race thing but he's the only person I've seen so singularly obsessed.

everyone is catching on that electric cars won't solve the previous world's biggest problem, climate change

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Probably his hosed up way to cope with the death of his first child or something.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Admiral Ray posted:

Probably his hosed up way to cope with the death of his first child or something.

hes such an egomaniac he thinks that the world needs like 4 billion of his kids

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
*hops in private jet to travel 15 minutes*

It seems there are less people when I travel lately. Something must be going on

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Groovelord Neato posted:

he probably heard someone say that we should practice sustainability on earth instead of wishing mars could become habitable and he's been melting down since about the threat to his dreams of god-emperorship

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a big thing among a certain type of white dudes, probably just a coincidence. matt yglesias wrote a whole book on it

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's weird current of natalism within EA circles, but I wouldn't confuse either of those with a genuine intellectual development it's just a bog standard right wing appeal to chauvinism and overt racism.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's very, very popular in the right wing and the alt-right. He doesn't care about population growth in non-white countries; he cares about population decline in white (and honorary-white on this occasion only) countries.

Words of terror and dread: "Ronan Farrow has just written an article about you."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DynamicSloth posted:

There's weird current of natalism within EA circles, but I wouldn't confuse either of those with a genuine intellectual development it's just a bog standard right wing appeal to chauvinism and overt racism.

It's just rebranded eugenics

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

quote:

In recent months, new crash numbers from the N.H.T.S.A., which were first reported by the Washington Post, have shown an uptick in accidents—and fatalities—involving Autopilot and Full Self-Driving. Tesla has been secretive about the specifics. A person at the N.H.T.S.A. told me that the company instructed the agency to redact specifics about whether driver-assistance software was in use during crashes. (By law, regulators must abide by such requests for confidentiality, unless they decide to contest them in court.)

lmao what? companies can just request that reports of their lovely software murdering people be kept secret and the government has to?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

he's obsessed with having babies

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he must pass on those superior elon genes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Truly they are blessed, for they shall inherit X

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Groovelord Neato posted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

drat it sucks that kids parents both rolled critical failures

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

despite how frequently it aligns with short term self-interest, it always struck me as more of an immortality project that dovetailed nicely with the prejudices, psychosexual hangups, and worldview(s) at play

religion isn't a salve, everybody can have kids, and we see how institutions/constructions/families of those aforementioned kids crumble over time, but maybe you can still play a heroic role in ensuring an abstract future where people resemble (and implicitly agree with) you?

it also neatly justifies (or at least allows you to ignore) all the ways you're despoiling/victimizing/rejecting society as it actually exists, as it's all clearly for the sake of a better future

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Putin just wants peace talks!"

Smartest, richest man in the world everybody.

lurkeskywalker
Jul 12, 2016

Power civilization for 65billion years?
In about 4 billion years time the sun will loose its fight against gravity, there won't be any earth left.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

have we had our weekly article on them yet?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

It probably originated like Michael Scott on The Office and he just wanted some people who HAD to like him.

But then his kids started disowning him anyway :lol:

Imagine being annoying enough that your family disowns you even though you're worth billions.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

NofrikinfuN posted:

It probably originated like Michael Scott on The Office and he just wanted some people who HAD to like him.

But then his kids started disowning him anyway :lol:

Imagine being annoying enough that your family disowns you even though you're worth billions.

It's a family tradition for him. It's not hard to see that Elon both loathes and fears his father.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hey i have those glasses

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

god........ imagine what could have been............... fallen world

https://twitter.com/TheAmitie/status/1693689242356994055

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

god........ imagine what could have been............... fallen world

https://twitter.com/TheAmitie/status/1693689242356994055

This is like learning that Nigel Farage survived his plane crash.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
musk exists for the same reasons trump does. we chose capitalism over the correct way and these are our new gods

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
musk, like trump in the 90s, is too big to jail

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/jeremyjudkins_/status/1692621818077536294?s=20

History Comes Inside!